Carroll on Seahawks' offensive line: 'We're in good shape"

justafan

Reaction score
It was a decision to go cheap.They chose to go after flash like Harvin and Graham and I understood why.

I wasnt the biggest Carp or Giacomini fan but paying less than 10 mil a year for those two seems pretty reasonable now.

Its just strange to me how they change the strategy from making the OLine a high priority to what we have now.I understand they cant pay everyone but dedicating only 6% of the cap to your Oline doesnt seem like a good strategy.I am pretty sure they arn't going to start the season with what they have so I am still hopefull.

justafan

Reaction score
DJrmb":102o5v7f said:
justafan":102o5v7f said:
It absolutely is a decision to go cheap. Every roster transaction since Okung was first signed has indicated that the O line is their dump stat on the team.

That is a false statement. They went out and got what was thought to be one of the top OG's in free agency signing Robert Gallery to 15M in 2011. Then they resigned Max Unger in 2012 to a 25M dollar extension. They've shown they're willing to spend money there on who they think are the right guys. They just aren't going to waste any more money on old FA lineman in a position where continuity is one of the most important factors to be successful.

That wasnt my quote

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I agree with an early post, what do you expect the guy to say? It was a canned response from a coach heading into the draft. If it wasn't the offseason, there would be no story here.

mrt144

Reaction score
Basis4day":3rlvnsnz said:
mrt144":3rlvnsnz said:
It absolutely is a decision to go cheap. Every roster transaction since Okung was first signed has indicated that the O line is their dump stat on the team.

The first draft pick by PC/JS was the 6th overall pick to draft Okung, like you said.

In 2011 they used the 1st overall pick on James Carpenter. Whether or not they were trying to trade down or were debating on drafting Andy Dalton doesn't change the fact that two years in a row they used a 1st on O-Line. That same year they used a 3rd rd draft pick on John Moffit.

In July of 2012 they chose to extend Max Unger.

In 2014 they used a 2nd Rd pick on Justin Britt.

Draft Capital, Cap Space, and your Roster are the three forms of currency in the NFL. To say they have always been cheap on the O-Line other than drafting Okung is false.

There is no question that the FO has made investments on the O-Line. Where they haven't succeeded is return on their investment.

I was off on timing. Every transaction since 2013 :thirishdrinkers:

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is from last week, Trey Wingo discusses Seattle's Offensive Line, but I've listened to it 3 times, and it's got a lot of good information. I really like Trey Wingo.

I really like the sounds of Bradley Sowell. He sounds smart, and driven to be the best. Wouldn't surprise me if he wins the starting Left Tackle spot.

DANNY, DAVE AND MOORE | 710 ESPN SEATTLE

ESPN's Trey Wingo says the Seahawks can cheaply build an effective O-Line

ORIGINALLY AIRED: THURSDAY, MARCH 24, 2016

With John Clayton at the owners meetings, Trey Wingo filled in admirably.

He talked about quite a bit and had some pretty positive things to say about the Seahawks offensive line saying you can absolutely build a good O-Line without spending a ton of money

Russell Wilson definitely a top 5 quarterback and his take on RGIII in Cleveland.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore

DANNY, DAVE AND MOORE | 710 ESPN SEATTLE

New Seahawks O-lineman Bradley Sowell wants the left tackle job

ORIGINALLY AIRED: THURSDAY, MARCH 24, 2016

Recent Seahawks free-agent signing Bradley Sowell joins "Danny, Dave and Moore" to explain why he wants to be Russell Okung's replacement at left tackle.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore

LegionHawk12

Reaction score
When they say we're in good shape... I laugh. Right. And you said we were in good shape last year.... right....