Carroll: This might be the best depth we have had.

ptisme

Reaction score
I read this thread and I immediately thought of all the guys who's doctor tells them are as "strong as an ox" and then proceed to keel over the next day...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2wox2swh said:
This has to be "coachspeak" either that or he hasn't seen the depth chart of the QB position (except for Wilson) lately.

If Wilson stays healthy all 16, QB is one of the strongest positions on the team.

No NFL team is sitting on 3 starting QB's.. it just doesn't happen at this level. So you can easily say all 32 teams are a QB injury away from having a disastrous season

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":wnw33zd1 said:
hawkfan68":wnw33zd1 said:
This has to be "coachspeak" either that or he hasn't seen the depth chart of the QB position (except for Wilson) lately.

If Wilson stays healthy all 16, QB is one of the strongest positions on the team.

No NFL team is sitting on 3 starting QB's.. it just doesn't happen at this level. So you can easily say all 32 teams are a QB injury away from having a disastrous season

I disagree. Having a quality backup is extremely important. Brady went down for the Patriots one year and Cassel led them to 11-5 record. Any other year, the Pats would have been in the playoffs, it just so happened they lost out due to a tiebreaker. When Trent Green went down for the Rams, Warner led them to a Superbowl championship season. If depth is important is other positions, why isn't it a big deal when it comes to most important position on the offense. Distorted logic isn't it?

Seafan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25dsn2h7 said:
I always admire Pete's enthusiasm and optimism, but IMO we will NEVER have the talent and depth of the 2013 team ever again. 2013 was the perfect storm of hitting on all facets of depth;

- perfect draft
- free agent hits
- health
- low cap due to youth of best players
- timing of everyone playing well at once

Certainly guys like KPL, Marsh, Simon, Hill, etc can jump up and have great years.............but it still wouldn't come close to the talent and depth on our 2013 roster.

Not just the Super Bowl roster, that training camp roster was impressive.

We don't have the safety depth like we did and certainly QB is very thin. Of course we could be wrong. Perhaps some of these young guys will surprise us. I hope so.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I think the myth about safety depth being a problem is just that. Jeron Johnson hasn't seen the field on defense but for maybe a dozen plays or so over the last 2 whole years. In the mean time, Shead has filled in at both spots at times and even had to play a series in the superbowl against Denver. Shead is a freak athlete with a 3 cone time that was better than both Desean Jackson and Shady McCoy. That's why he can play corner. On top of that, the coaching staff has raved about his development.

Behind that, Dion Bailey and Steven Terrell have been kept around a while at FS. Terrell has played a little dime corner due to injury for us and Bailey has shown that he can play the SS position to help himself. Listed at SS we have our draft pick Murphy, Lambert (Kam's bro), and Ronald Martin who was a tough SS in the SEC.

Really what we're looking for here is 1 guy between those 5 players. Shead is going to be a given. I have a suspicion that Bailey is going to be that guy because of his versatility at both spots and has a leg up in familiarity to go along with the good overall safety skill set. Really, I'm looking at those other 4 and seeing how much upside each of them has, albeit in different ways in some cases, and hoping we'll be able to get a couple of them to the PS.

Hawks46

Reaction score
themunn":2nbkpr1b said:
How can wham bam kam be anything other than elite

Yea I was thinking the exact same thing. Even with injuries, there aren't 2 Strong Safeties better than him in the game.

Also Wagner not being elite is puzzling. Quick, name 4 MLB's better than Wagner. Keuchly, maybe Bowman (although injured last year....injuries shouldn't derail Kam and be overlooked elsewhere), I'm not coming up with anyone else arguably better. Also, same grade as Wright ? Wagner is clearly a better LBer, period.

The flip side is that Okung is rated average. We should use this in contract negotiations. Bennett is also high quality and not elite. Now he can STFU about his contract until he earns elite !

kearly

Reaction score
Who have we lost since 2013? Tate, Breno, Carp, Clemons, Bryant, Unger, Miller, Rice, Harvin, Browner...

Really the only player to leave town that I badly wish were here today is Tate. Unger and Breno would be nice, but not necessities. And guys like Miller and Tjack might still be back.

It does feel like Seattle has better quality depth than they used to have. The 2013 team had a lot of players who were overpaid (Harvin, Rice, Miller, 2013 Clemons, 2013 Red Bryant, 2013 Max Unger). The 2015 team is overpaying for KJ Wright, and that's about it.

The 2015 roster feels more efficient in terms of resource allocation, and the last draft appears to have been a very good one. The 2015 team might have more question marks than the 2013 version did, but it also feels more cost effective and seems to have a higher upside. The depth feels better too, although we won't really know how good the depth is until it gets tested.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bxgeobwo said:
I always admire Pete's enthusiasm and optimism, but IMO we will NEVER have the talent and depth of the 2013 team ever again. 2013 was the perfect storm of hitting on all facets of depth;

- perfect draft
- free agent hits
- health
- low cap due to youth of best players
- timing of everyone playing well at once

Certainly guys like KPL, Marsh, Simon, Hill, etc can jump up and have great years.............but it still wouldn't come close to the talent and depth on our 2013 roster.

I'd never say never, but I get the point. Pete did qualify his 'depth' remarks by saying 'from a competition standpoint,' so, the scenario could have several mediocre players competing against each other. Yeah, the 'competition' would be neck and neck, but how good is the best among that group?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
We will know when it comes to Preseason games, 2013 you can tell that our depth was incredible.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":1qtgoo0w said:
Who have we lost since 2013? Tate, Breno, Carp, Clemons, Bryant, Unger, Miller, Rice, Harvin, Browner...

Really the only player to leave town that I badly wish were here today is Tate. Unger and Breno would be nice, but not necessities. And guys like Miller and Tjack might still be back.

It does feel like Seattle has better quality depth than they used to have. The 2013 team had a lot of players who were overpaid (Harvin, Rice, Miller, 2013 Clemons, 2013 Red Bryant, 2013 Max Unger). The 2015 team is overpaying for KJ Wright, and that's about it.

The 2015 roster feels more efficient in terms of resource allocation, and the last draft appears to have been a very good one. The 2015 team might have more question marks than the 2013 version did, but it also feels more cost effective and seems to have a higher upside. The depth feels better too, although we won't really know how good the depth is until it gets tested.
Isn't there 7 plus mil in dead money to Percy? that kinda still counts, right?

McGruff

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3ah30b2o said:
Hasselbeck":3ah30b2o said:
hawkfan68":3ah30b2o said:

I disagree. Having a quality backup is extremely important. Brady went down for the Patriots one year and Cassel led them to 11-5 record. Any other year, the Pats would have been in the playoffs, it just so happened they lost out due to a tiebreaker. When Trent Green went down for the Rams, Warner led them to a Superbowl championship season. If depth is important is other positions, why isn't it a big deal when it comes to most important position on the offense. Distorted logic isn't it?

Yeah, but who were Warner ND Cassell before they got those shots? Hint, one was an arena league rejeCT and the other was USC's backup.

jblaze

Reaction score
It's obviously a bit of coach speak. 2013 might go down as one of the deepest teams in NFL history with our CB depth, etc. No one could throw on us.

That said, I think he means depth in other areas. Our DL depth might be the deepest we've had and that's a huge deal in this defense. Obviously you have Avril and Bennett, not you're getting back Marsh who is getting a ton of great pub plus Hill back, plus Mebane who's healthy now, McDonald, Rubin who's going to be a great player also, etc, etc.

The game is won in the trenches, and our defense might very well be very deep this year. DLine matters a whole lot and if we get excellent play from the LB's, which we always have and Irvin will be trying to ball out to get a new contract elsewhere, and Bobby and Wright will be on new deals (hopefully). Then you got the LOB and the only question mark there is Cary Williams and I think he fits perfectly in our scheme and will do well with the rest of the supporting cast, Blackmon at nickel CB, Shead at backup safety, etc.

I think our defense won't take a step backwards this year at all. We lead the NFL in points given up for a fourth straight year.

Offense is another story I'm stoked about. Since when has Wilson had a decent pass game that wasn't gimicky to offset the strong run game. Graham is a legit elite level player that defenses have to game plan for. Imagine not being able to stack the box against Lynch like they've been able to do the past few years. He stretches the field vertically and affects the red zone coverages greatly. This means you take someone out of the middle of the defense and Lynch should be able to take advantage.

All told, I'm probably more excited about this team than I was last year. Harvin was a bit of a gimick player and was never a guy who you can stretch defenses vertically with. That's what we need, someone who stretches vertically to space things out underneath to allow Baldwin and Lockett to get open.

Color me biased of course but I think we get back to the SB and win it this time. Graham offers a dimension we've never seen here before and our defense should be good if not better than last year if injuries don't play a factor.

Go Hawks!

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":z9wkbb1c said:

+1

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3c838cwl said:

Tarvaris will be available if/when the Seahawks need him. There isn't another team even sniffing his way and there won't be...because he sucks.

There are also many, many, many other options available and there will be even more options once cut downs start.

I still think Pete is waiting for Barkley to be cut in Philly. Not only will he be cheap, but he will be a major upgrade over Tarvaris.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":uxb7n4f2 said:
Isn't there 7 plus mil in dead money to Percy? that kinda still counts, right?

Correct. $7.2 million, or $5.7 million less than if Harvin were still here.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Tarvaris will be back in the fold come the mandatory mini-camp, as he should be.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ptisme":3kc15tkx said:
I read this thread and I immediately thought of all the guys who's doctor tells them are as "strong as an ox" and then proceed to keel over the next day...
I know it must gall you but now that, like the Seahawks I'm over the Superbowl I'm seriously considering that this version is poised to do something epic. The talent is there, the want to is there, and so many guys that flashed for us but got injured are back. And for the first time ever Wilson has a first tier receiver.

And we play you guys early.