CB Dontae Johnson signed

toffee

Reaction score
Popeyejones":743zc44m said:
toffee":743zc44m said:
He could enjoy better stat under our system, if he and our safeties could develop some sort of chemistry.

He played under the Seahawks' system for the 9ers last year (by way of Robert Saleh by way of Dan Quinn, but on the back end it's still the same system).

Here's the skinny on Johnson from a 9ers fan perspective:

For the first three years of his career he was that guy who exists on every team: He didn't get much run, but 9ers fans had somehow convinced themselves that he was a hidden gem who was just being held back for some unexplained reason, and as soon as he got his shot he'd prove to the world that we were right all along about how good he was.

Last year he got his shot, and we thought it was a perfect fit. He fit all the height/weight/speed requirements that made us think he would ball out in the Seahawks/Falcons/9ers Cover 3 scheme.

He was a total disaster though. He'd give up short passes and then give up deep passes, and then get DPI and holding calls before going back to giving up passes again.

The several time he got benched it was because offensive coordinators had basically abandoned their gameplans and figured out that if they just threw it to Johnson's man it was a clear walk down the field -- I can't remember the game but the final time he was benched (IIRC) the entire offensive series was five penalties and receptions against Johnson which totaled into 75 yards and touchdown.

By the end of the year he was behind guys on the depth chart who had been signed off the street in the same week.

I'd liken him to an inferior Cary Williams: he certainly looks the part, but beyond that is a total liability.

To be clear, I'd be very happy if he can turn his career around and be a useful piece, but having watched him all last year, that would ultimately surprise me.

Got to say that Johnson sounded really bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrt144

Reaction score
I have a sense of complete rudderlessness with the HMS Seahawk.

original poster

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3a078gdx said:
Unless we sign Maxwell, I'm still thinking that it's Thorpe who ends up starting at RCB.

Or DeAndre Elliott :irishdrinkers:

edogg23

Reaction score
So we won't sign Maxwell who has proven he can play for us in our system and instead sign another garbage player? At some point if all you sign is garbage depth your going to be left with a starting line up of garbage depth.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
edogg23":3o7rw056 said:
So we won't sign Maxwell who has proven he can play for us in our system and instead sign another garbage player? At some point if all you sign is garbage depth your going to be left with a starting line up of garbage depth.

But hey, they're young, cheap, and hungry. :roll:

AgentDib

Reaction score
edogg23":3mljoy7b said:
Are you concerned we aren't going to spend all of our money and instead use it fill swimming pools like Scrooge McDuck?

original poster

Reaction score
edogg23":w994eulj said:

Should have signed Watkins for $17M per.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: Yeah for sure, because we aren't signing every top FA and trying to find salvageable players from the scrap pile and signing them cheap for short term deals, replacing an incompetent OLine coach and dubiously incompetent OC and rplacing the DC and DLine coaches with more scheme true coaches, the team is rudderless. Sure thing. Fire Schneider, fire Pete. :sarcasm_off:

It's early and acquiring players seems to me to be a sensible thing considering the team needs 90 or possibly 92 and now have only 61. Acquiring a player with potential and exceptional measureables to have a look at in camp sems to be a smart move regardless of his past playing history. Let's not forget the team doesn't have a lot of draft capital this draft or a lot of available cap to spend and needs to acquire potential talent whereever it can found cheap.

Believe what you want but real football doesn't start until September we'll see how the team is then, several here may be surprised how good the final product turns out to be.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
original poster":1ercg9s7 said:
edogg23":1ercg9s7 said:

If you are talking about Sammy Watkins, then I can't tell if serious. Hope not.

original poster

Reaction score
hgwellz12":2opp9jjs said:
original poster":2opp9jjs said:
edogg23":2opp9jjs said:

If you are talking about Sammy Watkins, then I can't tell if serious. Hope not.

Of course I'm not :lol:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
edogg23":1svf6mix said:

Says who on re-signing Maxwell? To me it looks like a standoff over the $ wanted and to $ offered. Signing more depth puts greater pressure on Maxie if he wants to stay.

chris98251

Reaction score
Could be a slot depth guy, with his size to help cover TE's, played Safety as well, reading up on him he seems to be a liability on the edge and with his vertical should have decent burst.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly, I know some Niner fans may be laughing at the signing, but I don't think the Seahawks signed him thinking he was a great replacement for Sherman. Not every guy signed is expected to be a pro bowler.

He's been a Niner for awhile, tall and rangy. Good speed. Probably fringe roster player for you guys.

Fits mold in terms of size and has scheme familiarity. Not a terrible signing.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3bwqs2mf said:
toffee":3bwqs2mf said:
He could enjoy better stat under our system, if he and our safeties could develop some sort of chemistry.

He played under the Seahawks' system for the 9ers last year (by way of Robert Saleh by way of Dan Quinn, but on the back end it's still the same system).

For the first three years of his career he was that guy who exists on every team: He didn't get much run, but 9ers fans had somehow convinced themselves that he was a hidden gem who was just being held back for some unexplained reason, and as soon as he got his shot he'd prove to the world that we were right all along about how good he was.

Last year he got his shot, and we thought it was a perfect fit. He fit all the height/weight/speed requirements that made us think he would ball out in the Seahawks/Falcons/9ers Cover 3 scheme.

He was a total disaster though. He'd give up short passes and then give up deep passes, and then get DPI and holding calls before going back to giving up passes again.

The several time he got benched it was because offensive coordinators had basically abandoned their gameplans and figured out that if they just threw it to Johnson's man it was a clear walk down the field -- I can't remember the game but the final time he was benched (IIRC) the entire offensive series was five penalties and receptions against Johnson which totaled into 75 yards and touchdown.

By the end of the year he was behind guys on the depth chart who had been signed off the street in the same week.

I'd liken him to an inferior Cary Williams: he certainly looks the part, but beyond that is a total liability.

To be clear, I'd be very happy if he can turn his career around and be a useful piece, but having watched him all last year, that would ultimately surprise me.

I'd only argue that people thought he was gonna be something because I never thought that.

He has the measurables which were what got him drafted to begin with, but I never thought he was about to set the world on fire. I remember on draft day there was a lot of talk about whether he was a CB or a safety...but ultimately he's neither. At least not a good one.

That doesn't mean its a bad signing. Maybe a second year in that system would do him good. Was never a problem child or anything of the sort...just kinda a fringe player who was hangin' around and finally got a shot to start.

AKNFidel

Reaction score
It’ll take a year to teach him out of the bad habits the 49ers instilled in him [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hawknation2018

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":10jfguh6 said:
[tweet]http://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/984113368029106176[/tweet]

So we've now picked up CB Dontae Johnson, DT Tom Johnson, and WR Marcus Johnson...

So you're saying the Seahawks are replacing Dicks (Richard Sherman, Kris Richard, Sheldon Richardson, Paul Richardson) with Johnsons.

:D

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1add9day said:
toffee":1add9day said:

Johnson may have had something approaching "the system," but he didn't have Pete Carroll.