CB Dontae Johnson signed

hawknation2018

Reaction score
At first blush, this appears to be a very low-risk leverage move to encourage Maxwell to sign on the dotted line.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":l9eeu73z said:
Honestly, I know some Niner fans may be laughing at the signing, but I don't think the Seahawks signed him thinking he was a great replacement for Sherman. Not every guy signed is expected to be a pro bowler.

He's been a Niner for awhile, tall and rangy. Good speed. Probably fringe roster player for you guys.

Fits mold in terms of size and has scheme familiarity. Not a terrible signing.

Definitely agreed with this.

I think it’s kinda funny that the Hawks are taking a swing on Johnson, but I doubt it will ever really matter, and am laughing about rather than laughing at them.

HawkerD

Reaction score
hawknation2018":15t2ut78 said:
MontanaHawk05":15t2ut78 said:
[tweet]http://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/984113368029106176[/tweet]

So we've now picked up CB Dontae Johnson, DT Tom Johnson, and WR Marcus Johnson...

So you're saying the Seahawks are replacing Dicks (Richard Sherman, Kris Richard, Sheldon Richardson, Paul Richardson) with Johnsons.

:D

OK that is some funny dung! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkerD":pnkucjs0 said:
hawknation2018":pnkucjs0 said:
MontanaHawk05":pnkucjs0 said:

So we've now picked up CB Dontae Johnson, DT Tom Johnson, and WR Marcus Johnson...

So you're saying the Seahawks are replacing Dicks (Richard Sherman, Kris Richard, Sheldon Richardson, Paul Richardson) with Johnsons.

Not all that original tho...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisWilliams51/status/984118386312409093[/tweet]

hawknation2018

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":o3a68pm0 said:
HawkerD":o3a68pm0 said:
hawknation2018":o3a68pm0 said:
MontanaHawk05":o3a68pm0 said:

Don't know who Chris Williams is . . . but great minds think alike, I guess.

Now we know the Seahawks' new strategy.

:p

ducks41468

Reaction score
Eh, camp body. Not every signing will be or needs to be an impact player.

Atradees

Reaction score
So we've now picked up CB Dontae Johnson, DT Tom Johnson, and WR Marcus Johnson...[/quote]

:D[/quote]

This offseason we are eating a bowl of dicks.....

The Breh

Reaction score
As long as our Dicks aren't getting replaced by pussies I think I'll reserve my opinion till the season comes.

sutz

Reaction score
Just because Sherman left, it doesn't mean that any CB we sign is "replacing" him. :34853_doh:

Pete and John are doing what they always do when a specific position group needs a bit of a rebuild. They pile on a bunch of players and see who survives training camp and pre-season.

:229031_shrug:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well if you ever needed a sign that we cannot bank on our talent eval, as good as our supposed DB drafting and scouting supposedly is - our FO does not think it can fill enough holes.

We will see how the season plays out, but we are going to look decidedly average with these new additions getting any playing time.

Pretty unimpressive.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
He is awful, but as others have said, we need bodies for camp. Likely next to zero guaranteed money here.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Earl Thomas is what makes the Seahawk secondary what it is. He has the ability to let CBs be themselves and not worry about getting beat. If he's gone, it won't matter who's at CB. They will all get toasted.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Neiko Thorpe played almost exclusively on special teams last year.

Assuming Thorpe does not jump into the fray at boundary corner, the Seahawks could save close to a million dollars by releasing Thorpe ($1,818,750 cap savings) and replacing him with Johnson on special teams.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
original poster":35jleiy3 said:
I bet it's a 0 or very close to 0 guaranteed contract, doubt he makes it out of camp.

When you consider the below, it's nothing more than an extra body for the summer to compete.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Hawk_Talk_/status/983675201174036481[/tweet]

You know that if he was able to make a roster for 4 years he likely could be a very late cut or even a deep roster add. I don’t think he’s PS eligible

The team has seen something in Johnson that has them curious, he’s a tad different than the standard profile with just 31.5 “ arms, but he’s fast and long. His knock coming out was he was not a strong tackler, but if that could be coached up in the Seahawks way of tackling, he’s big, long, and fast and could be a fit as a ST add and a reserve FS/CB. If nothing else he’s a known commodity that appears to be raw and by reports not exactly solid as a cover corner. He fits the drafted but cast off profile the team has continually checked out to see if there is a diamond to to mined from the rough. They undoubtedly know lots about him and what needs to be fixed and where his strengths and weaknesses are. Our staff is good at coaching CBs with physical talent to be better.

Think he’s camp fodder but who knows?

Let's revisit this signing in August. Sometimes players are simply signed for depth reasons or for a long look or b/c the team has some curiosity about the player. The negativity around every FO move on the board lately is oppressive and is some cases quite uninformed. If Johnson proves to be worth keeping crow will need to chewed upon.

cymatica

Reaction score
hawknation2018":kq04xn2e said:
MontanaHawk05":kq04xn2e said:
HawkerD":kq04xn2e said:
hawknation2018":kq04xn2e said:

Don't know who Chris Williams is . . . but great minds think alike, I guess.

Now we know the Seahawks' new strategy.

:p

Is their a Dumas available?

original poster

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3dg6wi53 said:
You know that if he was able to make a roster for 4 years he likely could be a very late cut or even a deep roster add. I don’t think he’s PS eligible

The team has seen something in Johnson that has them curious, he’s a tad different than the standard profile with just 31.5 “ arms, but he’s fast and long. His knock coming out was he was not a strong tackler, but if that could be coached up in the Seahawks way of tackling, he’s big, long, and fast and could be a fit as a ST add and a reserve FS/CB. If nothing else he’s a known commodity that appears to be raw and by reports not exactly solid as a cover corner. He fits the drafted but cast off profile the team has continually checked out to see if there is a diamond to to mined from the rough. They undoubtedly know lots about him and what needs to be fixed and where his strengths and weaknesses are. Our staff is good at coaching CBs with physical talent to be better.

Think he’s camp fodder but who knows?

Let's revisit this signing in August. Sometimes players are simply signed for depth reasons or for a long look or b/c the team has some curiosity about the player. The negativity around every FO move on the board lately is oppressive and is some cases quite uninformed. If Johnson proves to be worth keeping crow will need to chewed upon.

Couldn't agree more Jammer.

I don't like being down on new signings. In fact, this is the first one this offseason that hasn't inspired me.

It's so early to tell but this could be used as ammo to get Maxwell on board quicker. I read that Maxwell is evaluating his offers, not offer. So, despite there being no reports on his visits, it seems were not the only team interested in him.

With the roster numbers as low as they are, this in no way harms the team in anyway. Even if they went nuts in the draft and made 15 picks then another 10 UDFA guys, we still wouldn't be up to 90 men.

Get him in, see what he looks like in camp and preseason and if it works out, great. If he doesn't then so be it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the contract, I suspect no more than $250K guaranteed, if that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just because they signed him, doesn't mean he makes the team. This is the Seahawks we are talking about. They pile up players and let it play out. People have freaked out about signings, many times, only to see that person get cut before the season. Meh

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He’s an NCSU alum so I’m pulling for him to make the team and become a contributor.

beaumaris

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ditqx8q said:

Got to keep up with the Johns's