Chiefs and 49ers

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":1fy3ufq6 said:
No...you're not trolling. I AGREE with you. Read the complaints in that link above in my response to Laloosh.
Nah, I know you agree; I did read that before posting the reply. Just wanted to make sure it was understood that I wasn't trolling when normally a Seahawks fan using a word as strong as "pathetic" toward anything related to the 49ers would be trolling, is all. :)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1nrzdc06 said:
The reason why Alex Smith isn't considered much more then average is because he doesn't have the arm or the mentality to make the throws outside the hashes. He's fine on seam and crossing routes but anything else is a gamble. But when the game is on the line you have to have a quarterback that can make the high risk throws.

Yeah, he's not a top QB in the league so of course his game is incomplete. Guys like Cutler and Flacco do make all those throws, but they're weaker than Smith in other areas too, so they're also incomplete. My point is that doesn't make any of them average. They're all above average, they're just not (and will never be) top QBs in the NFL and fans are REALLY bad (in general) at correctly classifying in the middle ranges of "above average" <--> "good" <--> "very good but not great."

What happens IMO is that people falsely assume that young players always improve, and they don't. In rankings the Cams, and Lucks, and Kaps, and Wilsons of the world crowd out these good but not great guys because people still think the younger guys will become the next Bradys, Rodgers', Mannings, and Brees'. The vast majority of them won't though. They're the future good-but-not-great guys that will then be undervalued in deference to the next generation of young QBs who people will have too much faith in. Over time people forget that guys like Cutler, Romo, Ryan, Flacco, Eli, etc. were talked about the same way that people now talk about these younger guys. Turns out that what we saw with them is what we got. The same thing is going to happen again for most of these younger QBs (we just don't know which ones yet).

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
An ugly fight among fans at Sunday’s 49ers game left two hurt and two others arrested.

Santa Clara Police tell ABC 7 that two male victims were taken to the hospital, and one of them has severe head injuries. Two men were arrested for felony assault.

The video of the fight is appalling, and it’s all too familiar to fans who have seen incidents like this at NFL games before. The vast majority of NFL fans go to watch a football game, not to get into a brawl, but the few who engage in violence are a major problem, and a problem the NFL hasn’t been able to stop despite public statements about wanting to improve the in-stadium experience for fans and making security a priority.

This doesn’t appear to be a case of violence among fans of rival teams, as all four men seen on the video were wearing 49ers jerseys. Police have said nothing about whether the fans knew each other or had any previous run-in.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-stadium/

[youtube]f4lNez7NV1w[/youtube]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
On the topic I've been posting on, I realized that the Wilson comparison is probably a sore spot, so let me reframe:

I think Kaepernick is a better and more promising QB than Alex Smith. That said, given what the 9ers do I think they very well may have been better off paying Smith 9 million per year than they'll be paying Kaepernick 14 million per year. It's a little more stark with the Wilson comparison if he does end up getting 20-22 per, but it's the same logic applied to both situations.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":4jj9t0qh said:
On the topic I've been posting on, I realized that the Wilson comparison is probably a soar spot, so let me reframe:

I think Kaepernick is a better and more promising QB than Alex Smith. That said, given what the 9ers do I think they very well may have been better off paying Smith 9 million per year than they'll be paying Kaepernick 14 million per year. It's a little more stark with the Wilson comparison if he does end up getting 20-22 per, but it's the same logic applied to both situations.

FWIW, I don't think anybody is offended by what you had to say, Popeye. Opinions will vary on your conclusion which is fair imo.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":gru4x5it said:
FWIW, I don't think anybody is offended by what you had to say, Popeye. Opinions will vary on your conclusion which is fair imo.

:th2thumbs:

Just figured it was worth clarifying b/c mileage may vary given the venue, and because I didn't want my posts to be misread as even remotely bagging on Wilson or his ability. You quoting that post also made me realize I wrote "soar" instead of "sore." :lol:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Funny Popeye, but he's not running due to being afraid of contact...Which is what Jimmy Graham did, running away from Kam Chancellor in the playoffs. :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Roland, yeah, he's trying to loop back around because he doesn't think he can seal the edge. It's only funny because twelve year olds tend to be the only people who need to get coached out of this type of "smart" play. :lol:

(by avoiding a blocker at point of attack to take an indirect path you're just leaving a blocker free to eliminate someone at the next level who is playing correctly).

Wagon12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3jwhdiwe said:
peachesenregalia":3jwhdiwe said:
Marvin49":3jwhdiwe said:
Another ugly win, but I'll take it. Just stay afloat till they can get their horses back and healthy.

:)

You've got losses to NO and Denver before that happens, and probably one other that you won't expect. Niners are trash right now.

lol at calling the Niners trash, then saying the Saints will beat them.

I don't know if you've been watching the Saints this year? They're dreadful.

Another really aggravating game though, the Niners winning when they probably should have lost.. but end of the day.. that's scary because this team is going to get all these players back and they have always been a 2nd half team under Harbaugh.

They're basically not going away any time soon. Sad to say.

Right, unfortunately.

byau

Reaction score
Laloosh":2yf7fmd7 said:
I have to agree with some of that. Your pass protection went to hell in the second half but your o line dominated in the run game for the most part. No death by a thousand penalties and your receivers caught some tough catches. Kaep is still a knucklehead that misses wide open receivers nearly half the time but great run game...

One thing I noticed watching the game, and it could explain the strange feel of 1-2 beginning this year as opposed to the previous year

It definitely looked like Kaep was scrambling to pass instead of scrambling to run. This is huge. You had to figure he'd be making this type of progress sometime this season which is why the 49ers still scare me the most.

The reason why I think it may have made the 1-2 feel strange this year: you first have to accept the idea that Kaep was a one-read and run type quarterback first. If yes, then accept he is trying to change his paradigm completely this year to a multiple-read and run as a last resort (scrambling to pass is included in the multiple-read process), then making that big a change is a huge learning process.

While a person is trying to learn something new like that, there will be a lot of mistakes made while the person is getting it down pat. Eventually as the person gets more comfortable with the new process, things will get rolling smoothly. I definitely think that is what is going on with the 49ers offense and Kaep this year and I would look to them going on quite a roll the rest of the season.

(p.s. And as the Hawks get rolling, my oh my will that be a Thanksgiving game of Hawks and Niners :D )

The Battle #83

Reaction score
Squidward has to get better at passing to break the barrier from good to great Qb. I hope he does break that barrier that way it's sweeter when we obliterate hem and crush their dreams.

:th2thumbs:

Latest posts