Chris Matthews to active roster

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Smellyman":2wzltqco said:
AgentDib":2wzltqco said:
I get that everybody wants to be hopeful based on physical attributes, but what about Chris Matthews is more interesting than Luke Willson? Red zone targets do not have to line up at WR, just look at the Patriots offense.

Willson is taller and stronger than Matthews, and had both a quicker 40 yard dash and a much better vertical jump. More importantly, he has caught passes from RW before in the NFL. He dropped too many passes early but has looked better since coming back from injury. Moeaki has also been good lately, but for some reason Hawk fans just look at our WR heights and start feeling insecure.

once you get on a message board "sh#t list" for something like drops it is hard to shake.

evidence be damned
Willson has had trouble catching passes in traffic. He appears to be 'worried' about getting hit. In the open field he's fine. Until and unless he demonstrates consistency catching in traffic, people "on a message board" are going to continue to comment about it.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
King Dog":3w3vcb6r said:
Oh ^%$&. The Hawks just elevated Chris Matthews from the practice squad.

- Chip Kelly

chip-kelly-tongue.gif

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2x17qe05 said:
Smellyman":2x17qe05 said:
AgentDib":2x17qe05 said:
I get that everybody wants to be hopeful based on physical attributes, but what about Chris Matthews is more interesting than Luke Willson? Red zone targets do not have to line up at WR, just look at the Patriots offense.

Willson is taller and stronger than Matthews, and had both a quicker 40 yard dash and a much better vertical jump. More importantly, he has caught passes from RW before in the NFL. He dropped too many passes early but has looked better since coming back from injury. Moeaki has also been good lately, but for some reason Hawk fans just look at our WR heights and start feeling insecure.

once you get on a message board "sh#t list" for something like drops it is hard to shake.

evidence be damned
Willson has had trouble catching passes in traffic. He appears to be 'worried' about getting hit. In the open field he's fine. Until and unless he demonstrates consistency catching in traffic, people "on a message board" are going to continue to comment about it.

And ignore the game winning catch in Carolina.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Nice. I was hoping this guy what do good things at the beginning of the preseason but he seemed slow and got very few targets.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
6.5!! drool. So need a big target. the next BMW, only better!

Smellyman

Reaction score
Basis4day":3qyryxu6 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3qyryxu6 said:
Smellyman":3qyryxu6 said:
AgentDib":3qyryxu6 said:

evidence be damned

And ignore the game winning catch in Carolina.

and 8 catches last 3 games, perhaps the best option right now.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Personally, I feel, he has probably been working hard on the practce squad, and has been showing promise. The fact that Pete waited until the end of the week, and was coy when asking questions about who they were signing tells me that he is ready, and at least two to three plays are designed especially for him. I am fired up, and don't care what may have happened months ago, he has had months to get ready.

Sonicsdave

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1dbiv4is said:
Smellyman":1dbiv4is said:
AgentDib":1dbiv4is said:

evidence be damned

How much "open field" do you see from the 7 yard line? It's all in-traffic inside the red zone.

Tokadub

Reaction score
AgentDib":2uzpj5o3 said:

They are very different players, not really comparable. From what film I have seen Matthews excels at getting excellent position on his defender and he boxes them out with his big frame. Matthews does not rely on speed or vertical leap (although he ran a 4.5 at his Pro Day which is pretty impressive for someone that tall and puts him right up there with Luke Willson). Matthews gets to his spot with enough speed to create a little space and then he turns around and boxes out his defender.

I'm pretty sure his arms are very long so he creates a HUGE target for the QB. He's the kind of guy who should be pretty much a sure thing for picking up consistent 5-10 yard gains. Given our struggles to score Touchdowns he seems like a great option as he will be very difficult to defend without committing a penalty.

So Matthews is roughly the same speed as Willson (Willson looks a little quicker Matthews is more of a long strider for running in a straight line I think), and they are both 6'5'', but I'm pretty sure Matthews has much longer arms.

Also it's worth noting that in the last two games Moeaki has more receiving yards (97) than Willson (60). That's a pretty telling stat considering Moeaki just joined the team. In those two games Moeaki has had 6 targets compared to Willson's 7 so it's not like that one big run is making Moeaki comparable to Willson, they have a similar amount of targets too.

I think it's a little disturbing that a guy like Moeaki can randomly pop onto our squad near the end of the season and instantly become one of our best weapons... it really sheds some light on how little talent we have at receiver.

For the season Moeaki is already just 35 receiving yards behind HARVIN... He is 4 yards behind Paul Richardson... and he's already ahead of Zach Miller, Kevin Norwood, and Bryan Walters. :pukeface:

I see no reason why Chris Matthews couldn't have similar success and become one of Wilson's preferred targets due to his size and play style he should really be able to create a lot of mismatches for high percentage passing plays. We are really missing a guy who can straight up beat a defender even if they aren't wide open, Chris Matthews is that guy. I think Norwood could do it as well but he's not nearly as big so it will probably take more time for Wilson to pull the trigger for him. Matthews should be a plug and play high percentage guy if he knows the playbook.

I'm not sure if Chris Matthews will play, but I'm expecting he will. The Eagles seem like the type of team where 4 field goals just isn't gonna cut it, we simply need more Touchdowns and a big Redzone target which is why Matthews was brought on in the first place. I've always felt that having Walters on our roster was a mistake I would of preferred Matthews or Bates, it kinda seems like Matthews never really got a chance to prove himself considering he was the CFL rookie of the year he's not a total bum especially when considering how many UDFA receivers we have.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He wont be active tomorrow, but hopefully he can force his way onto the active gameday roster at some point and be that RedZone threat we are desperate for.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":19hnui6c said:
Probably won't be active tomorrow.
Thought the same thought. Too bad it comes out like rain on the parade of the Matthews boosters.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kidhawk":2hoovbpp said:
Not sure why Pete was so hush hush about it. He said they'd make a move today. It wouldn't say what it was.
Oh, Pete's a 'it' now...[emoji102]

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SeaChase":k2yy67yv said:
Nice. I was hoping this guy what do good things at the beginning of the preseason but he seemed slow and got very few targets.
CFL WRs have it so easy. He has a big adjustment to make.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
tacomahawk":3mj051ki said:
Personally, I feel, he has probably been working hard on the practce squad, and has been showing promise. The fact that Pete waited until the end of the week, and was coy when asking questions about who they were signing tells me that he is ready, and at least two to three plays are designed especially for him. I am fired up, and don't care what may have happened months ago, he has had months to get ready.
Was prolly waiting for other options to materialize. Matthews blew chunks in TC. Not sure how people can think he improved that much.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tokadub":q2fzypvo said:
From what film I have seen Matthews excels at getting excellent position on his defender and he boxes them out with his big frame. Matthews does not rely on speed or vertical leap
specially when considering how many UDFA receivers we have.

Looks like he doesn't rely on his hands either. Can't blame him; they are stone.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, my impression was that they are going to cycle some of the PS guys on to the roster so they can get single game checks each. It's really the only way the NFL will let the team pay these guys something fair. If you pick out one promising guy on the PS, elevate that guy each week, let him get the minimum for the week for a 53 man player, you'll get a lot of loyalty from these guys down the road.

mikeak

Reaction score
Between Moeki, Willson and Mathews maybe one of our other guys like Baldwin / Kearse / Norwood / Richardson will get open in some routes and when they are not - hit the big guy for shorter gains

LOB4UandME

Reaction score
Tokadub":lsbvgfxj said:
AgentDib":lsbvgfxj said:

They are very different players, not really comparable. From what film I have seen Matthews excels at getting excellent position on his defender and he boxes them out with his big frame. Matthews does not rely on speed or vertical leap (although he ran a 4.5 at his Pro Day which is pretty impressive for someone that tall and puts him right up there with Luke Willson). Matthews gets to his spot with enough speed to create a little space and then he turns around and boxes out his defender.

I'm pretty sure his arms are very long so he creates a HUGE target for the QB. He's the kind of guy who should be pretty much a sure thing for picking up consistent 5-10 yard gains. Given our struggles to score Touchdowns he seems like a great option as he will be very difficult to defend without committing a penalty.

So Matthews is roughly the same speed as Willson (Willson looks a little quicker Matthews is more of a long strider for running in a straight line I think), and they are both 6'5'', but I'm pretty sure Matthews has much longer arms.

Also it's worth noting that in the last two games Moeaki has more receiving yards (97) than Willson (60). That's a pretty telling stat considering Moeaki just joined the team. In those two games Moeaki has had 6 targets compared to Willson's 7 so it's not like that one big run is making Moeaki comparable to Willson, they have a similar amount of targets too.

I think it's a little disturbing that a guy like Moeaki can randomly pop onto our squad near the end of the season and instantly become one of our best weapons... it really sheds some light on how little talent we have at receiver.

For the season Moeaki is already just 35 receiving yards behind HARVIN... He is 4 yards behind Paul Richardson... and he's already ahead of Zach Miller, Kevin Norwood, and Bryan Walters. :pukeface:

I see no reason why Chris Matthews couldn't have similar success and become one of Wilson's preferred targets due to his size and play style he should really be able to create a lot of mismatches for high percentage passing plays. We are really missing a guy who can straight up beat a defender even if they aren't wide open, Chris Matthews is that guy. I think Norwood could do it as well but he's not nearly as big so it will probably take more time for Wilson to pull the trigger for him. Matthews should be a plug and play high percentage guy if he knows the playbook.

I'm not sure if Chris Matthews will play, but I'm expecting he will. The Eagles seem like the type of team where 4 field goals just isn't gonna cut it, we simply need more Touchdowns and a big Redzone target which is why Matthews was brought on in the first place. I've always felt that having Walters on our roster was a mistake I would of preferred Matthews or Bates, it kinda seems like Matthews never really got a chance to prove himself considering he was the CFL rookie of the year he's not a total bum especially when considering how many UDFA receivers we have.

I'm hoping they give him a shot as well. let's not forget this guy has a year in the CFL where he's caught more passes than any of our receivers have ever had in a single season. Discount the CFL all you want but this kid one the equivilent of rookie of the year in that league. Can you see Willson cathing 81 passes in a single year for nearly 1200 yards. How can you not give this guy a try?