Conor Mcgregor...

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":15urrz12 said:
Nothin from nothin, but he wouldn't last five minutes in a ring.

Five minutes in 10 ounce gloves? I doubt that . . . if you have watched some of his fights, he has an unbelievable chin. He was also Ireland's under-16 amateur boxing champion before moving to karate and jiu-jitsu.

If he's getting hit full force with 4 ounce gloves, what makes you think he would be knocked out in a boxing ring?

That's not to say he would make a successful professional boxer. He may or may not, but to say he wouldn't last 5 minutes seems a little preposterous.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1nq2qqvz said:

And most boxers wouldn't last 10minutes in the octagon. Why do boxing fans like to try and make this silly argument?

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":32cxirf2 said:
5f4017ccd1551383551c343666c263ce.gif

People who don't follow the sport miss the beautiful subtleties when a master is performing his craft. You'll hear people say that the guy is just a brawler, but look closely at this gif.

Watch as Aldo throws his right hand. McGregor doesn't panic at all, stands in the pocket and parries it with his right hand and sweeps it down. And at the same time - knowing that Aldo will follow with his left hand - he immediately blasts him with a counter left for the knockout...right before Aldo's left lands. Because Conor beat him to the punch the force in Aldo's left has nothing behind it because his mass/momentum was stopped in its tracks.

If Conor doesn't land that left cleanly, Aldo may have very well knocked Conor out.

It was only 13 seconds, but it was a beautiful 13 seconds to watch.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Tical21":25w4f7d8 said:

And what would make you say that? These guys train with boxers and boxing trainers all the time. There have been boxers that have converted to mma and vice versa.

Guys like you watch this and bitch about their technique without thinking about what you're saying. The footwork and distancing is necessarily different because mma fighters have to think about leg kicks and takedowns. They can't always just step into the pocket and trade blows with 6 punch combinations because the 6 ounce gloves can tag a guy on the chin or the temple and knock them out in a flash. Defence is different because you aren't blocking with 16 oz gloves either but tiny 6 oz gloves. Striking is very different in mma so of course there would be an adjustment.

But to say that a guy like McGregor couldn't last 5 minutes? That's just stupid. These guys train with boxers all the time and they're not getting knocked out like their children.

That said there is nothing saying that a good boxer can't come in and be a good mma fighter. Boxing is an art just as all others are, and it is a fundamental one in mma. But it would take a rare athlete to be able to come in only as a boxer and be able to beat the best if he didn't have other skills too, because most of these guys if they drag a pure boxer to the ground will rape them until they learn a little bit more too.

RussB

Reaction score
Conor is on fire right now , jumping up a weight class to fight RDA is a risky move becuase RDA is on a hot streak also. Should be a great fight.

RussB

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":1a23kvpo said:
hawknation2015":1a23kvpo said:

People who don't follow the sport miss the beautiful subtleties when a master is performing his craft. You'll hear people say that the guy is just a brawler, but look closely at this gif.

Watch as Aldo throws his right hand. McGregor doesn't panic at all, stands in the pocket and parries it with his right hand and sweeps it down. And at the same time - knowing that Aldo will follow with his left hand - he immediately blasts him with a counter left for the knockout...right before Aldo's left lands. Because Conor beat him to the punch the force in Aldo's left has nothing behind it because his mass/momentum was stopped in its tracks.

If Conor doesn't land that left cleanly, Aldo may have very well knocked Conor out.

Conor has some of the best boxing ive seen in the UFC, he sets up strikes perfectly and is a very good counter puncher. Anyone who thinks he is a brawler doesnt follow the sport.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":g91v6afj said:
hawknation2015":g91v6afj said:

Thanks for pointing that out, didnt even notice that.

CPHawk

Reaction score
It's funny, a good friend of mine was in the ufc for awhile, and as a young man he started out as a boxer and was a gold gloves guy. He told me the first time he trained with mma guys, he just fell in love with the sport and dropped boxing all together. He just liked that their is so much more you can do, and all the different styles guys bring to the sport.

RussB

Reaction score

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The presser with McGregor and Nate Diaz was great! Conor will win, but he better bring his lunch box and hard hat, them Stockton boys are fighters.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SeanSheehanBA/status/702366769181282304[/tweet]

Best part is 29:00 to about 44:00 :lol:

[youtube]x0Ze86N21ro[/youtube]

CPHawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3vlxhihw said:
The presser with McGregor and Nate Diaz was great! Conor will win, but he better bring his lunch box and hard hat, them Stockton boys are fighters.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SeanSheehanBA/status/702366769181282304[/tweet]

Best part is 29:00 to about 44:00 :lol:

[youtube]x0Ze86N21ro[/youtube]

Not only that, but Diaz is a lot bigger than anyone Connor has fought.

knownone

Reaction score
I think Diaz is gonna win this pretty easily.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If he can avoid going to the mat, McGregor is going to pick Diaz apart from start to finish. Diaz has never been KO'ed, but Saturday might be the one.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Diaz always uses his reach advantage really well. Keeps the distance with a nice jab and a good one-two combo.

But you have to like Conor here. He is the more precise and harder hitting fighter. However, the fact that he is fighting someone who is bigger with a reach advantage does make it interesting.

Too bad I will be at a wedding and probably won't have a chance to watch it live.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I just can't get over the size difference here. I just don't see this being an easy fight for McGregor. Diaz is probably 185-190 walking around, and cuts down to 170. While CM weighs 160-165 walking around and cuts to 145 for fights. I think this will be a brawl, I doubt either finishes the other, and it will be on the judges. Do the protect the UFC golden boy? We'll see.

knownone

Reaction score
CPHawk":ek3vxhjs said:
I just can't get over the size difference here. I just don't see this being an easy fight for McGregor. Diaz is probably 185-190 walking around, and cuts down to 170. While CM weighs 160-165 walking around and cuts to 145 for fights. I think this will be a brawl, I doubt either finishes the other, and it will be on the judges. Do the protect the UFC golden boy? We'll see.
Conor actually walks around in the 175-180 range. I don't think size is an issue here. The big issue for Conor is fighting a rangy boxer who is arguably better than Conor with his hands. Conor will need to work on Diaz legs because if he tries to trade punches he's going to get worked. Diaz is a great volume boxer who does well going against fighters who don't try to physically impose their will. Connor isnt strong enough to really wear Diaz down, so it'll be interesting, much closer than the betting line implies.

Interesting fight. It feels like a trap for CM...

253hawk

Reaction score
Fantastic. Can't stand that douche.

Also shout out to Tate, representing Tacoma. :0190l: