Doug Baldwin gets 2nd round tender

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Nice see we're getting in gear. Let's hope it's an extension because Baldwin is awesome. It may mean other moves with other players though.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawkFan72":177lffgr said:
If I was DB, I would sign the one year tender, play for $2+ million this year, and then test unrestricted free agency next year.

That would solidify he would be gone, We will need to sign Sherman, ET, and Wilson after this year, not sure there would be enough for Baldwin too.

JMR

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1lerl4fu said:
If I was DB, I would sign the one year tender, play for $2+ million this year, and then test unrestricted free agency next year.
I certainly won't claim to know what you would do, but this is atypical behavior in the NFL. You run some substantial risk by playing on a 1 year deal, which is why the tags are so unpopular. Players want a long term deal so they can get a big signing bonus for security. You give that up with a 1 year deal.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
HawkFan72":gpda2sd0 said:

Noooooooooo! Don't want this to happen at all. I can see where it might work out to his advantage, but I'd much, much rather see him sign a decently generous contract with us for the next several years.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm pleased he has now been tendered and it appears we are unlikely to lose him.

I could see Doug signing a short term deal (2-3yrs) with some significant guaranteed $. This would put him clear of the crunch and ease the cap number fro the team to do other things.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkFan72":lrw4dty7 said:
If I were DB, I'd sign the tender so he can continue to work with the team and have his agent continue to work on a multi-year deal here in Seattle.

gabel

Reaction score
If I was New England I'd be going after Mr. Balwin. He could be the slot replacement for Wes Walker who they so desperately miss.

plyka

Reaction score
TheTruth":14w39yip said:
Baldwin > Tate

This is exactly the situation in my mind. From what I have heard and reading between the lines, Bennett was made an offer, but refused that offer in order to test free agency. Tate on the other hand was not offered any contract whatsoever. This along with this Doug Baldwin news tells me 2 things:

1) They want Bennett and will sign him if they can for a reasonable amount.
2) They have RIGHTLY chosen Baldwin over Tate.
3) Tate is not coming back (which is a positive in my mind).

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Baldwin is the player jersey I'm getting for 2014. Don't F with my plans! :D

DavidSeven

Reaction score
JMR":3nuiv9ds said:
HawkFan72":3nuiv9ds said:
I certainly won't claim to know what you would do, but this is atypical behavior in the NFL. You run some substantial risk by playing on a 1 year deal, which is why the tags are so unpopular. Players want a long term deal so they can get a big signing bonus for security. You give that up with a 1 year deal.

RFA tenders are extremely popular. It is actually rare for a player to see a long-term extension if they are RFA eligible.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2zdufbw2 said:
So, a 'prove it' year after he's already proven himself for three seasons? No, I don't think that would be wise. Signing the tender is the first step toward inking a long-term deal with a decent bonus that hedges against a career-ending injury. Just signing the tender and skipping any negotiations is a pretty stupid move.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He really doesn't have any other choice but to sign the tender unless another team offers him a contract and is willing to part with a 2nd round pick. This isn't really in his hands right now. Of course, I'm sure he'll wait to see if anyone bites, but I don't see it happening.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
gabel":3uw93058 said:
If I was New England I'd be going after Mr. Balwin. He could be the slot replacement for Wes Walker who they so desperately miss.

Again, wouldn't make sense this year. The draft is stacked with WR's

If they were moving Baldwin for a 2nd rounder, that was more likely to happen last year

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I like it, DB has some sweet hands and as we all know thats not just a given in the NFL. The guy can flat out play.

sutz

Reaction score
TheTruth":2qsqndb2 said:
Baldwin > Tate
I wouldn't say this. They are different IMHO, and we could use both if we could retain them.

Baldwin has proven himself since he first came here, and Tate has finally grown into a much more complete WR, and his open field strengths are very valuable. But Baldy is more of a sure handed catch it and scratch guy that can find the sticks, while Tate is a dynamic YAC guy.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
One thing I'll say about Doug Baldwin is that his athletic traits are pretty underrated. He ran a 6.56 3-cone, which is ELITE territory. Faster than OBJ, Cooks, Watkins, Evans, etc. This means he has exceptional change-of-direction speed and explains why he runs such crisp routes. It also explains why he's a pretty dang good kick returner. As much as he rails against Combine measurables, they actually do help explain why he's effective at what he does.

Tate's YAC ability comes more from his strength. He's as strong as a running back, so CBs slip off him if they try to arm tackle. His change-of-direction speed is actually pretty pedestrian, but his strength is not. Helps explain why his routes have never been that great, but he still powers for tremendous YAC. He's a bit faster than Doug on the 40, but I think they play at about the same straight-line speed.

Both are 5'10-ish WRs with great hands, but they're both quite unique and have special athletic gifts. I would hate to be the one deciding between the two.