Doug Baldwin gets 2nd round tender

BocciHawk

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to imagine something like this. DB would get $2 for this year, and assuming it was a decently good year, could probably expect $4 to $5 per year for the next couple of years or so. You give him a $12 million three year deal now, let him have $3 million signing bonus and $3 million per year salary. It's a big bump in pay right now, but makes sure the team holds on to him for a reasonable period of time, and doesn't have to overpay for him if he ends up having a break out year this year. It's better for the cap than $2 / $5 / $5.

sutz

Reaction score
BocciHawk":1y8aipzn said:
It's pretty easy to imagine something like this. DB would get $2 for this year, and assuming it was a decently good year, could probably expect $4 to $5 per year for the next couple of years or so. You give him a $12 million three year deal now, let him have $3 million signing bonus and $3 million per year salary. It's a big bump in pay right now, but makes sure the team holds on to him for a reasonable period of time, and doesn't have to overpay for him if he ends up having a break out year this year. It's better for the cap than $2 / $5 / $5.
I would hope something along this line could be worked out. Gets him his bucks, and is pretty team friendly. I think I'd even up the SB a bit if necessary.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Another tweet I saw from Baldwin this time it was to Earl Thomas he said "Preciate that E, but it ain’t an extension yet."

I rather like the YET portion of that reply

Dtowers

Reaction score
He's missed a few. I think he is right around 9-10 statistical drops for his career. Extremely good hands.

gmor

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2nlozrn9 said:
HawkFan72":2nlozrn9 said:
If I was on a WR needy team and saw his performance this year (especially in the playoffs), I would say a 2nd rounder is worth it to send him an offer.

Seems unlikely with the draft class being as deep and promising as it is. They can just use that 2nd on a guy who will be on 4-year rookie contract

Well said.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
If you guys remember there were rumblings of teams inquiring about him and his level of availability this past offseason. So, if the same team(s) still have interest, maybe a second rounder isn't too much to pay . He was coming off a significant "sophomore slump" yet still generated interest.... now with a Super Bowl ring and a more productive & impactful season his resume just might be worth it for someone.

I hope not, and we can't risk losing him now with Rice officially gone, Tate's uncertainty, and Percy's durability worries. Love me some Doug! If we added someone to replace Sidney's height, I would be very confident with Percy, Tate & Doug as the top 3

Hawks46

Reaction score
sutz":1h69hu7k said:
kidhawk":1h69hu7k said:
tifferradish":1h69hu7k said:
Yeah, Baldwin just replied back saying it wasn't an extension.

And he added "More to come"....whatever that means...I'd guess they are still talking contract extension
I think most of us hope so. I know I do.

I'd actually rather see Baldwin than Tate stay, and I love what Tate brings to the table. ADB just has more chemistry with Wilson it seems.

The problem, as I see it, is that Baldwin and Harvin play basically the same position. Yes, Baldwin is capable of moving outside, but he's average at best on the outside.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Doug is the only current hawk I've met. Oddly, he was the only one who would give me the time of day. I talked to him before the Arizona 58-0 drubbing. I told him I predicted a 42-10 win. He said, "I hope you're right." After the game he ran by me and said, "You underestimated us" and winked at me.

I'd love to get him for good.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":2343fdg3 said:
Doug is the only current hawk I've met. Oddly, he was the only one who would give me the time of day. I talked to him before the Arizona 58-0 drubbing. I told him I predicted a 42-10 win. He said, "I hope you're right." After the game he ran by me and said, "You underestimated us" and winked at me.

That's awesome on so many different levels. Pretty cool memory for you!

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
The Yugoslavian":1ldpb4wk said:
KARAVARUS":1ldpb4wk said:

That's awesome on so many different levels. Pretty cool memory for you!

It was my first and only hawks game at the Clink. I have pics of him signing my ticket stub, which interestingly enough, has him on it. Lol. Awesome day!

jake206

Reaction score
Second round tender? Big mistake. I would have put a first round tender on him. He's the real leader in the WR group...no one else comes close. Runs great routes and is dependable in the playoffs. Playoff teams like Patriots and Colts will give up a second rounder in a heartbeat for this guy.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jake206":2xqxy3ml said:
Second round tender? Big mistake. I would have put a first round tender on him. He's the real leader in the WR group...no one else comes close. Runs great routes and is dependable in the playoffs. Playoff teams like Patriots and Colts will give up a second rounder in a heartbeat for this guy.

Why would they do that if they can just offer Golden Tate or Emmanuel Sanders or Hakeem Nicks the same money and keep their 2nd round draft pick?

Throwdown

Reaction score
jake206":3lrn93fd said:

Seattle can always match the offer, that's the beauty of it.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Throwdown":1j4scpvr said:
jake206":1j4scpvr said:

Seattle can always match the offer, that's the beauty of it.

:13:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
jake206":37fv6ogs said:
We can always match or why not use that pick to draft a WR?The draft is deep at that position or just go after Hicks or Tate?

jake206

Reaction score
Its very possible, though not likely that DBJ could get an outrageous offer that the Hawks would be unwilling to match. Just sayin.... Remember Hutch.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
jake206":1lmwve8q said:
Its very possible, though not likely that DBJ could get an outrageous offer that the Hawks would be unwilling to match. Just sayin.... Remember Hutch.

Hutch was an all-pro getting top of the market money. The situations are nothing alike. 'Not likely' is an understatement.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Wes Welker. Same situation as Hutch. New England wound up working out a trade with Miami but I don't believe that they actually closed that loophole. It has just been widely frowned upon amongst the front offices.

RussWils3

Reaction score
You know, I like this move.

Doug Baldwin might never have huge numbers, but this guy makes countless BIG catches on less than great throws. He is excellent at making the tough catch and spectacular catch. He's a good 'glue' type guy who is just outside our main core. I hope he's a 'Hawk for a long time. So underrated, except I bet in league circles his peers would tell you the guy can absolutely ball.