Doug Baldwin gets 2nd round tender

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
BocciHawk":r5kaniqg said:
It's pretty easy to imagine something like this. DB would get $2 for this year, and assuming it was a decently good year, could probably expect $4 to $5 per year for the next couple of years or so. You give him a $12 million three year deal now, let him have $3 million signing bonus and $3 million per year salary. It's a big bump in pay right now, but makes sure the team holds on to him for a reasonable period of time, and doesn't have to overpay for him if he ends up having a break out year this year. It's better for the cap than $2 / $5 / $5.

This was my thinking as well. Cap friendly and he gets paid. I love this guy and I hope to god we keep him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":25b48f9f said:
One thing I'll say about Doug Baldwin is that his athletic traits are pretty underrated. He ran a 6.56 3-cone, which is ELITE territory. Faster than OBJ, Cooks, Watkins, Evans, etc. This means he has exceptional change-of-direction speed and explains why he runs such crisp routes. It also explains why he's a pretty dang good kick returner. As much as he rails against Combine measurables, they actually do help explain why he's effective at what he does.

Tate's YAC ability comes more from his strength. He's as strong as a running back, so CBs slip off him if they try to arm tackle. His change-of-direction speed is actually pretty pedestrian, but his strength is not. Helps explain why his routes have never been that great, but he still powers for tremendous YAC. He's a bit faster than Doug on the 40, but I think they play at about the same straight-line speed.

Both are 5'10-ish WRs with great hands, but they're both quite unique and have special athletic gifts. I would hate to be the one deciding between the two.

Great post.

gargantual

Reaction score
As stingy as Belichick IS with draft picks, Dougie is exactly the type of receiver he loves, and he'd light up the stats sheets big time coupled with Brady. So I'm afraid something like that will happen, even is likely to happen. I reaaaally want to keep both of them, and am not comfortable just taking it for granted we'll simply replace him through the draft (bird in the hand and all that). This regime's track record isn't super great at the WR position (how long have we been waiting for another Big Mike Williams big-bodied receiver, for example), although the stable we have is massively undervalued by the league (well by commentators anyway).

I'm sure homerism is a factor in my reasoning (how many times a day is their inability to separate bemoaned around here), but DB is special, and if it were up to me I'd make sure he stayed in Seattle. Unfortunately I'm not sure Pete sees him as being as irreplaceable as I think and will let him move on unless we can sign him on the cheap side.

I see him getting picked up enthusiastically by some team, probably the Pats.

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawkWow":1zph9xfm said:
DavidSeven":1zph9xfm said:
One thing I'll say about Doug Baldwin is that his athletic traits are pretty underrated. He ran a 6.56 3-cone, which is ELITE territory. Faster than OBJ, Cooks, Watkins, Evans, etc. This means he has exceptional change-of-direction speed and explains why he runs such crisp routes. It also explains why he's a pretty dang good kick returner. As much as he rails against Combine measurables, they actually do help explain why he's effective at what he does.

Tate's YAC ability comes more from his strength. He's as strong as a running back, so CBs slip off him if they try to arm tackle. His change-of-direction speed is actually pretty pedestrian, but his strength is not. Helps explain why his routes have never been that great, but he still powers for tremendous YAC. He's a bit faster than Doug on the 40, but I think they play at about the same straight-line speed.

Both are 5'10-ish WRs with great hands, but they're both quite unique and have special athletic gifts. I would hate to be the one deciding between the two.

Great post.

Yes, nailed it.
I also noticed Baldwin's elite 3-cone time, pretty much the best on the team. (CMike and ET are the ones in the same range) We just see it as his quickness in getting open and "look who Russell found again!" Baldwin fills a unique niche, as does Tate. Only thing is that Harvin and Tate occupy a similar niche, so if we can only keep one, I say keep Baldwin.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
well we are going to have to pay him in order to keep him. If he get's paid well he might no longer be angry. I wonder what HDB will look like on the field?

JMR

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2yz5xf2u said:
JMR":2yz5xf2u said:
HawkFan72":2yz5xf2u said:
If I was DB, I would sign the one year tender, play for $2+ million this year, and then test unrestricted free agency next year.
I certainly won't claim to know what you would do, but this is atypical behavior in the NFL. You run some substantial risk by playing on a 1 year deal, which is why the tags are so unpopular. Players want a long term deal so they can get a big signing bonus for security. You give that up with a 1 year deal.

RFA tenders are extremely popular. It is actually rare for a player to see a long-term extension if they are RFA eligible.
Well, I'm talking about the behavior of the player, not the behavior of the team. If you want to say teams prefer the 1 year tender, I won't argue because my point was players prefer the long term deals so they can get more money now. I was disagreeing with "If I was DB, I would take the tender...."

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Baldwin on Q13: “We expected” the second-round tender

Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin served as a guest host of the QItUp Sunday night sports show on Q13Fox in Seattle, not only answering a few questions but also delivering a guest commentary and providing some of the voice-overs for highlights, among other things. In other words, illustrating vividly that he has a future in broadcasting someday if he wants one (though he also said on the show that his post-football goal is to be a high school teacher and football coach).

But first for Baldwin is clarifying his future as a Seahawk.

He’s entering his fourth year out of Stanford and is a restricted free agent, and last week saw the team place a second-round tender on him

Asked during the show his response to the team giving him a second-round tender, Baldwin said: “Well, we expected that. That’s just the process of this business side of it. We expected it. There are steps in this process that we have to wait on before we can move forward with it.”

In other words, he’s hoping the tender leads to talks that lead to a long-term deal with the Seahawks (as a refresher, the tender means he gets $2.187 million for the 2014 season if he makes the team, and the Seahawks would get a second-round pick if he takes a better offer from another team).

Asked when he hoped a deal would get done, Baldwin referenced the team’s unrestricted free agents, such as Golden Tate and Michael Bennett, and said “there are a lot of things that have to happen. We have to care of the unrestricted free agents and then they can get to me.” (And asked if he would sign the second-round tender, he called that a tough one and didn’t give a definitive answer).

Baldwin, though, made clear he hopes to remain with the Seahawks, saying he is an “old-school guy” and that he would love to both begin and end his career in Seattle.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... nd-tender/

ivotuk

Reaction score
SeahawksBMX":3t78998n said:
Someone will probably start a topic with this (if it hasn't been done already; didn't see it), but I figured I'd put it here. Good read and I definitely see where he's coming from:

Doug Baldwin guest commentary: Free agency from the player’s perspective

Read more: http://q13fox.com/2014/03/09/doug-baldw ... z2vXfREVI6

Nice find. Thanks for not starting another ADB thread about his contract. This is from that article by ADB

"Take me for example, after going undrafted my total contract for the past three years before taxes adds up to 1.4 million. Did you catch that? In my three years as a professional I made what is apparently the league average for one year"

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Luckily it's only 7:38 am, so there is still more than a full 24 hours to get something done with Tate, and hopefully Baldwin.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
ivotuk":3i7itry5 said:
SeahawksBMX":3i7itry5 said:
Someone will probably start a topic with this (if it hasn't been done already; didn't see it), but I figured I'd put it here. Good read and I definitely see where he's coming from:

Doug Baldwin guest commentary: Free agency from the player’s perspective

Read more: http://q13fox.com/2014/03/09/doug-baldw ... z2vXfREVI6

Nice find. Thanks for not starting another ADB thread about his contract. This is from that article by ADB

"Take me for example, after going undrafted my total contract for the past three years before taxes adds up to 1.4 million. Did you catch that? In my three years as a professional I made what is apparently the league average for one year"

Going to be EDB for Entitled Doug Baldwin if he keeps talking like that.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think Baldwin gets too caught up in the loud minority of fans. Most fans understand the business of the game and don't get too worked up over players leaving for other teams. Unfortunately, those fans aren't usually the one's sending him tweets.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If he didn't like his original contract he never should have signed it.

Regardless, I'd like to see us re-sign Doug to a 3-year contract that pays him an average of ~$3.5M/year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":gg98bfam said:
If you didn't like what you got paid at Burger King when you were 16, you never should have started working there.

:roll:

He didn't get drafted, and we made him the highest-paid UDFA that year.

Dtowers

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ot40xkg said:
onanygivensunday":2ot40xkg said:
If you didn't like what you got paid at Burger King when you were 16, you never should have started working there.

True.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2rjkeahe said:
onanygivensunday":2rjkeahe said:

:roll:

He didn't get drafted, and we made him the highest-paid UDFA that year.

I don't feel sorry one bit for him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Getting paid millions to play a sport, can't see any reason to feel sorry for that. But he has outplayed his original contract, w/out a doubt. Hopefully they'll sign him and Tate to 4 or 5 year deals, and very soon.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Doug was complaining about the NFL being a business a few days ago, then lectures all of us that players should be allowed to get all they money they can. Isn't that hypocritical?