Earl Thomas on if he expects to be back: "I have no clue. "

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well Dallas, if you wanna' "come and get him" Let's see what you have to offer. It's gonna' take a lot.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I love me some Earl, but his antics after the Cowboys game was BS. He is not about the team, he is about himself.

Send his ass to Dallas and let him enjoy watching the playoffs from the couch year after year.

mrt144

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1su5rhy8 said:
The ignorance here of what a HOF safety looks like is amazing. There are now only 2 safeties in the HOF with Easley getting in. Lott and Woodson played a lot of CB. If Earl ever had a shot at getting on it will be in the year 2050 where they'll need to look for candidates that were great and he'll still be a long way down even that list.

I'd argue that you should factor in survior bias and cohort comps - if Earl Thomas is the only HOF-like safety from his cohort and plays a long long career, even with the reluctance of the HOF to put safeties in, that'd be a huge historical gap from the 80s to 2020-2021 at the earliest. Maybe that bothers me more than the voters but to specualte there were only two HOF safeties EVER in the NFL... Maybe that'll change when dudes like me in their 30s (now in their 50s and 60s in 2050) are voting and have fond ET memories and have no recollection of football events up to 15-20 years after their birth.

I approach RW in the same way - whether he measures up to a Peyton, Brees, Brady is interesting but in the next 5 years his cohort comps are going to fade away and he'll likely be one of the few tenured, talented QBs in the league. It'll drive everyone bonkers - detractors saying "no, he isn't better, everyone got worse" supporters saying "oh, now you want to pretend like you stumbled across something I already knew, from day 1". But consider it - who 3 years prior and 3 years since RW's debut is having the career even resembling his? If you don't like RW then you're going to hate the future NFL cause he's going to be the mug getting all the love as other talented QBs retire and the new ones stomp on their dick in grand fashion.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2j2e6z92 said:
Send us back one of those incredible O Lineman you seem to have an excess of :2thumbs:

I'd take that in a NY minute.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
mrt144":mxjj7sju said:
vin.couve12":mxjj7sju said:
The ignorance here of what a HOF safety looks like is amazing. There are now only 2 safeties in the HOF with Easley getting in. Lott and Woodson played a lot of CB. If Earl ever had a shot at getting on it will be in the year 2050 where they'll need to look for candidates that were great and he'll still be a long way down even that list.

I'd argue that you should factor in survior bias and cohort comps - if Earl Thomas is the only HOF-like safety from his cohort and plays a long long career, even with the reluctance of the HOF to put safeties in, that'd be a huge historical gap from the 80s to 2020-2021 at the earliest. Maybe that bothers me more than the voters but to specualte there were only two HOF safeties EVER in the NFL... Maybe that'll change when dudes like me in their 30s (now in their 50s and 60s in 2050) are voting and have fond ET memories and have no recollection of football events up to 15-20 years after their birth.

I approach RW in the same way - whether he measures up to a Peyton, Brees, Brady is interesting but in the next 5 years his cohort comps are going to fade away and he'll likely be one of the few tenured, talented QBs in the league. It'll drive everyone bonkers - detractors saying "no, he isn't better, everyone got worse" supporters saying "oh, now you want to pretend like you stumbled across something I already knew, from day 1". But consider it - who 3 years prior and 3 years since RW's debut is having the career even resembling his? If you don't like RW then you're going to hate the future NFL cause he's going to be the mug getting all the love as other talented QBs retire and the new ones stomp on their dick in grand fashion.

HOF is about making a consistent direct impact on the game. This is not a Seahawks message board argument about who they think is the most important part of whichever or what a player does or doesn't do for their defense. People here don't even understand the difference between cover 3 and "single high."

The HOF is not a Seahawks discussion. It's an NFL discussion.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3kj973gw said:
They're late rounders usually for a reason and Pete Carroll doesn't have the recruiting knowledge edge that he used to

I hear that phrase used frequently regarding college players. We pay scouts a hefty salary to determine who would be the top players for our team. These scouts spent many, many hours talking to college coaches. The "cream of the crop" even has Pete and John turn out to see them on film and in person. Countless hours are spent learning EVERYTHING about the Top 100 players. During his college coaching days, Pete probably knew the families of the players more intimately than he does now. For the life of me.....I fail to understand how a professional team can "miss" on an early draft pick.

mrt144

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2sgyndn5 said:
mrt144":2sgyndn5 said:
vin.couve12":2sgyndn5 said:

HOF is about making a consistent direct impact on the game. This is not a Seahawks message board argument about who they think is the most important part of whichever or what a player does or doesn't do for their defense. People here don't even understand the difference between cover 3 and "single high."

The HOF is not a Seahawks discussion. It's an NFL discussion.

Well then, I expect to hear your spirited justification for Joe Namath being in then.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The NFL was young and dumb. That era was also about pro football becoming more than just football to a natioanal fanbase that could be broadcast around the country.

The NFL kind of sucked then.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Furthermore, remember all the crap about markets inthe NFL and sports in general. Remember Southern Alaska....

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Frickin UW sharing a title with Miami after beating them.

Don't damn ask me why things aren't or weren't fair or right, but if I am being fair, Earl is still not a HOFer.

Seaswab

Reaction score
he's just so freakin weird. Seems as if the money is more important to him than the team or winning. Really disappointing. Trade him for 2 firsts.

chris98251

Reaction score
So because QB's avoid throwing at him and he has no stats he is not HOF material. Damn it sucks to be so good you can't pad stats.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, look at Sherm. He has teams avoid his side of the ball for almost the entire game. Sure he has had a ton of picks, but the last couple seasons, they just literally avoided him. Moreso in 2016 of course. If Earl continues at the level he has been, hell yes he can be a hall of famer.

potatohead

Reaction score
I don't recall what team it was earlier in the season, when Earl forced a fumble on the one, the ball hit the pylon and was ruled a touchback. Hawks went on to win that game, pretty much because of that one play. That's why I love(d) Earl and he was one of my favorite players.

It does seem as if he is starting to care more about the money and is bitter about some other guys contracts. I'm not going to say that's a terrible thing, because it's not really, there's nothing wrong with looking out for number one. I can say now though that I would not be sad to see him go, whereas four weeks ago I would never have said that.

2_0_6

Reaction score
He doesn't want to be just the highest paid at his position, but the highest paid defensive player all together.

Um no.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2ev8761k said:
adeltaY":2ev8761k said:
vin.couve12":2ev8761k said:
Trade bait to move up for Barkley. We were fine with him out this year. McDougald played better at FS than SS.

Oh no I hope we don't draft Barkely and sure as hell hope we don't move up. RBs in the first round not a good idea.

I personally would love to have another Lynch, Peterson, Fournette, Melvin Gordon, or Gurley in our backfield

People like to talk about all the late rounders that have flourished, but far more late rounders have not panned out. They're late rounders usually for a reason and Pete Carroll doesn't have the recruiting knowledge edge that he used to

Fournette and Gordon aren't even that good. Gurley wasn't good last year. Lynch and Peterson are generational talents and only one of them got a ring. Also Lynch needed to be in a good system with a running QB to unlock his full potential. You can spend the first rounder on another position.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Earl has the most say of anybody in whether he will be back.

If his sole criteria is getting the most money possible then he may play out his contract next year but after that will be off to a team like Washington on a 2-3 year deal. Then he'll bounce around the league on one year deals until nobody wants him. If Earl wants to stay here, then he can take the decent extension that I'm sure the FO will offer this off-season.

Either way, I don't have a problem with an impeding FA saying they want a big contract. That's just negotiation 101.

rcaido

Reaction score
Earl has said he loves it here & wants to be a Seahawk. It seems like fans are just turning on players now because they aren't winning. Everything they say or do outside of the game fans overreacting negatively.

If he plays great, i have nothing to complain about. If he does end up leaving then it was great to have one of the best FS the past few years. this goes to Bennett too who has had a lot of criticism for other reasons besides football.