Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Here is the situation how I see it. Earl wants to be paid like Eric Berry, unfortunately for him there is no team in the current NFL that will be willing to pay that kind of money for him. The free agency market was tepid at best for free safeties, and even the top rated FS in the draft, Reid was taken much later than expected. Right now he is his own worst enemy. Trying to negotiate that kind of contract in this climate is absolutely foolishness on his part. His best bet would be to play, and have a big season going into next years free agency.

The second knock he has against him is the fact that he publicly mentioned retirement on social media. For a team looking to shell out big bucks to get him, this has to be a major concern. People may say "it's just Earl being Earl" but those people aren't the ones looking to pay a prospective player millions of dollars from their own pockets. He seemed to change his tune after Eric Berry got paid. If I was an owner/GM/HC I would absolutely be questioning his motivation.

The third knock was his shenanigans that he pulled this season. What Thomas did during the Dallas game was reminiscent of a move TO would pull. It was uncalled for. To make matters worse he seemed to get into beefs with players like Wagner. I just don't think the guys heart is in the game, or Seattle anymore. He can complain about that contract all he wants, but in the end the only one that is going to be on the losing end is him.

I've never seen a player of such high caliber have such a low stock.

Seymour

Reaction score
Lets not leave Pete out of this Thomas / Wagner rift either. He is flat out part of the problem at times, and Thomas even pretty much threw shade on him and called him a liar (in other words than that.)

Coach Pete Carroll said Wednesday of Wagner and Thomas: “They took care of it...they’ve already dealt with it.”

So there’s no issue inside the locker room of a Seahawks team (8-6) that has lost two in a row and allowed 67 points in the five-plus quarters since Wagner left the Jacksonville game Dec. 10 with this intensified hamstring injury, right?

Inside that locker room Wednesday, Thomas didn’t make that sound so.

“There wasn’t no conversation.
It is what it is. We move on,” Thomas said. “If that’s how you feel, that’s how you feel.’’

So he and Wagner didn’t talk about it?

“It’s cool,” Thomas said.

Do you feel a need to patch things up with Wagner?

“Ain't no patching if that's what's in your heart. Cool,” Thomas said.

“Let's finish strong.”

Thomas’ point following Sunday’s 42-7 loss to the Rams was that Wagner didn’t help the team by playing so obviously affected. Thomas also said it took too long for Wagner to decide to pull himself from the lost game in the third quarter.

“I think the backups would have done just as good,” Thomas said Sunday following the Seahawks’ biggest margin of defeat in coach Pete Carroll’s tenure that began in 2010.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/spor...s/seahawks-insider-blog/article190895349.html

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
drrew":ntkrcx92 said:
Murmurs in Dallas that something could be announced tomorrow.
Murmurs have been coming out of *allas since X-Mas eve. Wishful thinking by the Cowgirls org, fanbase, and sports media.
According to those same groups Earl was supposed to be traded pre-draft, then during the draft, then right after the draft,
None of that happened.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seymour":144241vg said:
f6ada5ab9a9a4a7386d3d827626c21b8.jpg

What's the context of this photo? Looks like the guys messing around on the sideline to me. Or it could be Earl and Sherm making fun of Wagner while he's trying to impress something upon them? I have no idea and I don't think anyone here does either tbh.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":2lf2vol0 said:
Uncle Si":2lf2vol0 said:
Seymour":2lf2vol0 said:
Uncle Si":2lf2vol0 said:
So.. what 1000 words does that picture say to you?

I'll talk to you. First thing that comes to mind....It says one word in BOLD.

Tension.

That tension again reared it's ugly head in a twitter comment from Thomas.

You see tension in a picture featuring defensive players in caps and a football? One smiling and throwing it, another yelling, another "maybe" scowling?

that's a big stretch in my opinion.

Tension may exist, or has existed. But that picture seems like the D relaxing on the sideline

Now combine that with the fact they are clearly shopping Earl and I think there is mixed evidence of issues. Keep in mind I said I'm undecided because Earl has also clearly shown leadership at times too. You are walking into a situation of someone that loves to stir the pot against anything I post here. Again, I'm not saying he is or isn't.

What am I combining though?

A photo with no context that seems to show a bunch of players chilling out on the sidelines

Im not buying into what someone else is saying, just the photo. If there is something in it I dont see it.

Wags and ET might have their drama. Probably do. I imagine it normal at this level. Just dont see how this photo supports any of that.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":336hku21 said:
Seymour":336hku21 said:
Uncle Si":336hku21 said:
I'll talk to you. First thing that comes to mind....It says one word in BOLD.

Tension.

That tension again reared it's ugly head in a twitter comment from Thomas.

You see tension in a picture featuring defensive players in caps and a football? One smiling and throwing it, another yelling, another "maybe" scowling?

Tension may exist, or has existed. But that picture seems like the D relaxing on the sideline

Now combine that with the fact they are clearly shopping Earl and I think there is mixed evidence of issues. Keep in mind I said I'm undecided because Earl has also clearly shown leadership at times too. You are walking into a situation of someone that loves to stir the pot against anything I post here. Again, I'm not saying he is or isn't.

A photo with no context that seems to show a bunch of players chilling out on the sidelines

Im not buying into what someone else is saying, just the photo. If there is something in it I dont see it.

Wags and ET might have their drama. Probably do. I imagine it normal at this level. Just dont see how this photo supports any of that.

You have some catching up to do, you should stick around some more. I said that and the twitter jabs he took = SIGNS of tension and then followed up with an article that discusses the issues. Does Wagner really not look tense to people here??

This for one and his rift with Wags on twitter about playing injured are signs of tension at least.

So Thomas and Sherm are joking, Wagner isn't. If I made a derogatory joke about someones wife for instance, that is a joke, I'm laughing...that all good in the name of team spirit correct??

Good god this is getting silly.

Take your mouse and click on this link...I dare you.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 95349.html

toffee

Reaction score
Earl sure wrote the book on "How to make a Hall of Famer in his Prime untradeable", with bonus character on "How to damage an undamageable brand".

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":203cm4fe said:
Uncle Si":203cm4fe said:
Uncle Si":203cm4fe said:

You have some catching up to do, you should stick around some more. I said that and the twitter jabs he took = SIGNS of tension and then followed up with an article that discusses the issues. Does Wagner really not look tense to people here??

This for one and his rift with Wags on twitter about playing injured are signs of tension at least.

So Thomas and Sherm are joking, Wagner isn't. If I made a derogatory joke about someones wife for instance, that is a joke, I'm laughing...that all good in the name of team spirit correct??

Good god this is getting silly.

Take your mouse and click on this link...I dare you.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 95349.html

you dare me? yes, very silly.

The picture says nothing. We have no idea what anyone is thinking there. None. You can guess, but thats what it is. and its misleading one considering where it was found.

The article is riddled with teenage level angst about "who is tougher".. and ends with both saying "its cool we move on"

But go on, make it a big deal.

This is the type of nonsense that doesnt go away because people keep talking about it. nothing more

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm not making it a big deal, people trying pick fly shit out of pepper and ignore key words are IMO. I already stated several times I'm undecided on Earl's level of "cancer", and only have posted possible reasons some may think otherwise.

If you cannot see tension on Wagner's position in that photo (that was my claim), then this exercise is far more useless than I expected.

But lets carry this on another couple days anyway huh? :roll:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect if ET isn’t in camp for TC then he’s gone, gone, gone. He’s then a distraction, paying him to hold out or to end the holdout sends entirely the wrong message to the rest of the team.

The egos of the players traded, let go in FA, or released this season were a major part of the problem last season. After a while several of them forgot the first rule to always protect their team. When it becomes all about them then they need to move on.

It is sad that the LOB has had to be disbanded but as soon as that group began to think they were better than the team they became a problem for the team. No single player is bigger than the team

I think ET is a special talent but he’s well paid at $8.5 mil./yr. and truly has little to complain about except there are now a few players paid more than he is at the same position. At 29 with a developing injury history any FO would want to carefully assess the ROI before awarding a big dollar 3rd contract for a player who has publicly opined about retirement or demonstrably indicated they’d rather play elsewhere. Add to this a market for S that has seemingly gone to reset and has collapsed and Earl looks to be a potential undesirable who’s contract expectations are very much out of sinc with present reality. Great player or not unless he compromises he’s going to be playing elsewhere before long or just not playing.

Reluctantly I would move on and get what the team can get for the player and thank him for his well paid service here.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":1a4is5pi said:
I'm not making it a big deal, people trying pick fly shit out of pepper and ignore key words are IMO. I already stated several times I'm undecided on Earl's level of "cancer", and only have posted possible reasons some may think otherwise.

If you cannot see tension on Wagner's position in that photo (that was my claim), then this exercise is far more useless than I expected.

But lets carry this on another couple days anyway huh? :roll:

Trying to pick fly shit out of pepper? Here is the group on the sideline during the same game, probably at a very similar time.

Look at the tension...

I mean i dont care either way. But your use of the photo to prove a point was a poor choice. The exercise was useless as soon as you made the claim. You knew what you were trying to do. take the high road if you want.

Seahawks vs raiders 2015 09 03 237

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Man, look at Sherm's face in that pic. Completely disconnected, no emotion or interest in what's happening on the field. SAD.

Look at Wagner, he's so upset with the team that he's not even in pads or cleats anymore. He's actually yelling at his teammates to man up cause we don't have enough dawgs on our team. Tension indeed.

Now Earl... Earl is obviously taking a break from tweeting brash things towards his teammates to scream at coaches Richard, Bevell and Cable, who, due to no need for evidence or context established in previous pictures/post, we can just assume to be in this picture and having quite the words with each other in a circle of finger pointing and calling Russell Wilson too short.

I can't believe the drama and tension this team endured over the last couple years.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2trn0out said:
Man, look at Sherm's face in that pic. Completely disconnected, no emotion or interest in what's happening on the field. SAD.

Look at Wagner, he's so upset with the team that he's not even in pads or cleats anymore. He's actually yelling at his teammates to man up cause we don't have enough dawgs on our team. Tension indeed.

Now Earl... Earl is obviously taking a break from tweeting brash things towards his teammates to scream at coaches Richard, Bevell and Cable, who, due to no need for evidence or context established in previous pictures/post, we can just assume to be in this picture and having quite the words with each other in a circle of finger pointing and calling Russell Wilson too short.

I can't believe the drama and tension this team endured over the last couple years.

We just need a facial expression expert to step in tell us about the tension in their eyes, how their ears under the hat means they are unhappy, but outside the hat means they are content. No hat... oh, man, we would need Myers-Briggs test to confirm. Or the way their nose flares up and how it indicates future contract hold outs.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22qtov52 said:
Here is the group on the sideline during the same game, probably at a very similar time.

NOT the same game!! Sherman is not even suited up in that pic and Wagner has on long sleeves and a different hat on!! :roll: The other pic was a pre season game, everyone is not in heavy jackets in summer pre season games! You are not very observant don't take time to read and observe the info provided (that is why I said I dare you), and it's clear why we see things different. I'm not playing this game anymore.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":3s8pl0js said:
Uncle Si":3s8pl0js said:
Here is the group on the sideline during the same game, probably at a very similar time.

NOT the same game!! Sherman is not even suited up in that pic and Wagner has on long sleeves and a different hat on!! :roll: The other pic was a pre season game, everyone is not in heavy jackets in summer pre season games! You are not very observant don't take time to read and observe the info provided (that is why I said I dare you), and it's clear why we see things different. I'm not playing this game anymore.

therein lies the point. There's no telling in a picture. i mean... there are heavy jackets in both pictures. and any of those players could have added a sweatshirt, jacket, etc. Same hats, lots of the same demeanor. But sure, the fact the team is out there on the sideline laughing suggests nothing, but one player's "eyes" suggest everything. You assume what you want and deny everything else without even seeing how you contradict your own logic.

I dare you to admit you have no idea that any of their expressions are or mean. but you cant.
The only one "playing the game" is you Seymour. You tried to use a picture with no context to prove a point you couldnt, not even with a link to an article.

It was poor, and yet you double down by trying to suggest youre bigger than the ridiculous argument you tried to make

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't know about pictures, but there are multiple ways where character issues have been shown.

"Come get me" speaks for itself.

The Wagner postgame comments speaks for itself. Furthermore, on plays like the 57 yard TD, for instance, the FS was no where to be seen. Earl is absolved from doing his own job when he wants to place blame.

JS was informed the week before the draft that Earl would not hold out, potentially changing draft plans, and is now holding out.

Now, within all that, the ROI on the player himself doesn't add up to his demands while standing on shaky character ground.

WTF is it exactly that you numbskulls arguing about. Please don't leave me, Earl? Is that it? Get the hump up outcha back now....

Seymour

Reaction score
f6ada5ab9a9a4a7386d3d827626c21b8.jpg

Seahawks vs raiders 2015 09 03 237

Does anyone else think these pictures are "the same game near the same time?" (We do know the first pic is a pre season game)

Uncle Si":2pxr76gm said:
Seymour":2pxr76gm said:
Uncle Si":2pxr76gm said:

therein lies the point. There's no telling in a picture. i mean... there are heavy jackets in both pictures. and any of those players could have added a sweatshirt, jacket, etc. Same hats, lots of the same demeanor. But sure, the fact the team is out there on the sideline laughing suggests nothing, but one player's "eyes" suggest everything. You assume what you want and deny everything else without even seeing how you contradict your own logic.

I dare you to admit you have no idea that any of their expressions are or mean. but you cant.
The only one "playing the game" is you Seymour. You tried to use a picture with no context to prove a point you couldnt, not even with a link to an article.

It was poor, and yet you double down by trying to suggest youre bigger than the ridiculous argument you tried to make

Speaking of doubling down. Let me get this right....So Sherman took off his game jersey and put on a sweatshirt in August, Wagner, took off his game jersey then put on a long sleeve and then his jersey back on over that, then he changed to a different color stocking hat, then Earl put on a heavy overcoat in August. Ohh and also notice Avril is not suited up....that couldn't possibly mean this is post injury though..."we just don't know" Good god.

No you cannot even see Wagners eyes in the pick I showed --drop that crap, you made that up to put more words in my mouth. I said it showed tension for the 10th time. Look at his friggen forearms, bicepts poping, fists clenched and the forward lean and Earl backing off bending back. Ever hear of body language?? TENSION for the 10th time is what I said!! :177692:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":h5g16hx6 said:
No you cannot even see Wagners eyes in the pick I showed --drop that crap, you made that up to put more words in my mouth. I said it showed tension for the 10th time. Look at his friggen forearms, bicepts poping, fists clenched and the forward lean and Earl backing off bending back. Ever hear of body language?? TENSION for the 10th time is what I said!! :177692:

Eyes, position, blah blah. It's all the same nonsense.

But this is my favorite part yet.

I mean Earl's not leaning back in a throwing motion or anything... he's just cowering, in fear, with a huge smile.

This is the absurd that just keeps on giving. With no context except references to having what amounts to a mild disagreement, you are fetching proof to support a claim based on body language in that same picture.

As for ET, Wags, etc... there's more drama in the parent section of a girls high school softball game then what I'm reading here

This has been fun... thank you