Evan Mathis Released

homerun1970

Reaction score
Marvin49":wcumstyj said:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/6/15/8787237/evan-mathis-rumors-49ers-colts-dolphins-chiefs

49ers among 'main teams' rumored to be looking at Evan Mathis, per John Clayton

Would make a lot of sense since they are incorporating Zone-Blocking. Also would mediate the loss of Iupati a bit. They've got $$$ to spend after the retirements of Justin Smith, Pat Willis, and Anthony Davis.

Marvin any truth to the rumor he would rather retire first? :stirthepot:

Marvin49

Reaction score
homerun1970":3vefnqfn said:
Marvin49":3vefnqfn said:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/6/15/8787237/evan-mathis-rumors-49ers-colts-dolphins-chiefs

49ers among 'main teams' rumored to be looking at Evan Mathis, per John Clayton

Would make a lot of sense since they are incorporating Zone-Blocking. Also would mediate the loss of Iupati a bit. They've got $$$ to spend after the retirements of Justin Smith, Pat Willis, and Anthony Davis.

Marvin any truth to the rumor he would rather retire first? :stirthepot:

:D

massari

Reaction score
You'd think it'd be a wise investment for Wilson to sacrifice a little more money on his coming contract to be able to afford Mathis and protect him for a couple years.

rideaducati

Reaction score
massari":1duyxp5u said:
You'd think it'd be a wise investment for Wilson to sacrifice a little more money on his coming contract to be able to afford Mathis and protect him for a couple years.

Like that is gonna happen. Russell won't take a pay cut for ANYONE.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
rideaducati":2vggdvt4 said:
massari":2vggdvt4 said:

Nor should he or anyone else for that matter. Would you take a pay cut from your job so that your employer can fit someone else in your organization?

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawkfan68":18c0fkm7 said:
rideaducati":18c0fkm7 said:
massari":18c0fkm7 said:

Nor should he or anyone else for that matter. Would you take a pay cut from your job so that your employer can fit someone else in your organization?

No, but I wouldn't demand so much money that the organization had to let someone else go because they paid me so much either.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
rideaducati":3bpsc8q7 said:
hawkfan68":3bpsc8q7 said:
rideaducati":3bpsc8q7 said:
massari":3bpsc8q7 said:

No, but I wouldn't demand so much money that the organization had to let someone else go because they paid me so much either.

It's not Russell's fault that the market is high dollar for his position. Take the difference in money out of the equation. If your organization gives you a raise or another org hires you, then indirectly you are impacting another individual(s) in that organization in some way. Either they are paying someone else less or even worse letting someone go to accomodate the increase. So yes, you do have an impact on the org. Maybe not at the level RW does but you still do for your organization. A person's salary is an expense in any organization, whether it's the Seattle Seahawks or Joe's coffee shop. So yours, mine, and anyone's elses salary is an expense for our resepective companies.

Getting back on topic, the Seahawks have plenty of money to sign Mathis if they wish. The question is whether they want to bring him in the fold. I don't believe they will unless a significant injury happens. I hope they do sign him (not because of injury). A vet like Mathis' would be good add for the OL and team.

massari

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3lax7vqd said:
rideaducati":3lax7vqd said:
massari":3lax7vqd said:

If I'm Wilson, I want max protection on the line to protect my physical health for a longer more productive career/life and to go along with that I'd want more money going into the rest of the team to build a dynasty, which means more off the field cash/recognition/HOF ect ect ect.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
massari":ydbrjpod said:
hawkfan68":ydbrjpod said:
rideaducati":ydbrjpod said:
massari":ydbrjpod said:

If I'm Wilson, I want max protection on the line to protect my physical health for a longer more productive career/life and to go along with that I'd want more money going into the rest of the team to build a dynasty, which means more off the field cash/recognition/HOF ect ect ect.

A lot of QBs have taken pay cuts and restructures to increase their team's chances of winning. It doesn't sound like Wilson will be one of them, but that doesn't mean it's an absurd or totally unheard of idea.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2bbih50x said:
Name one QB who "took a pay cut" in his first real contract

Crickets

You're right that a franchise QB can't exactly take a "pay cut" coming off a rookie deal.

But did Cam Newton get as much as he possibly could as a free agent if he had waited it out to get an Aaron Rodgers-type deal and forced Carolina to franchise him? Absolutely not, in fact he agreed to lower his base salary and cap hit this year in order to get a team-friendly extension in place. I expect Luck to do the same when he signs his extension next year.

The supply vs. demand for a franchise QB is totally out of whack in the NFL. There are so many desperate teams out there seemingly willing to release half their roster for a franchise QB that it is virtually limitless how much one could demand if he was willing to wreak havoc on his own team. Perhaps it is time for a max salary like the NBA implemented.

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2ijfb7b5 said:

Crickets

If you mean sign a team friendly deal, I can think of one. :D

massari

Reaction score
bigskydoc":38er9kgc said:

Crickets

Why do we care what other QB's are doing?

Sac

Reaction score
Marvin49":du55bwyw said:
bigskydoc":du55bwyw said:

Crickets

Yeah, but he's al not very good so it's not really a fair comparison.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":n68ky66w said:
Marvin49":n68ky66w said:
bigskydoc":n68ky66w said:

Crickets

Yeah, but he's al not very good so it's not really a fair comparison.

If you say so. :D

Didn't stop people all over this sight from calling him an idiot for signing it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":il13q756 said:
bigskydoc":il13q756 said:

Crickets

How friendly of a deal is it for the niners Marv... They are paying a whole lot of money for an awful QB.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":28slyskj said:
Marvin49":28slyskj said:
bigskydoc":28slyskj said:

Crickets

How friendly of a deal is it for the niners Marv... They are paying a whole lot of money for an awful QB.

As with all things. We'll see.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/06/19/evan-m ... chip-kelly

This is a pretty interesting article about Mathis. The writer first notes that, over the last four seasons, Mathis have been ranked first, first, first and second in the PFF guard rankings. He was downgraded only once every 16.4 snaps as a run blocker.

The writer then begins "digging for negative plays for this piece." He wants to "see if [this anecdotal evidence] indicates a larger problem." The thing that makes the article somewhat interesting is the fact that Mathis gives his own response to these plays.

One of the plays was against the Seahawks:
giphy.gif

Mathis: "It’s fourth-and-1, so I’m trying to get my head inside and get a strong initial push. He’s able to shed me and get the assist, but he didn’t get any penetration and has no upfield momentum. Now we’re first-and-goal on the 3.

Mathis gets a good initial push on Tony McDaniel, driving him passed the LOS, but McDaniel uses his power to knock Mathis off balance, keeps his eyes on the backfield, and gets to McCoy for the assist. Williams also did an admirable job on this play, driving into the backfield and splitting two double teams to make a pile. K.J. Wright does not read the back well and bites down hard. Chancellor seems to hesitate and looks a step too late on this play. If he had stepped toward McCoy with his right leg to maintain inside leverage, he might have cut him off and prevented the first down. I guess that's easier said than done against a shifty back like McCoy.

The fact that the writer was digging for dirt, and this was one of the worst plays he could come with, is fairly telling.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
There's one pretty well documented case, but he got crap for doing it from nearly everyone.

netskier

Reaction score
That is a good interesting article. It sounds as if he would be extremely valuable to us for a couple of years while we train our new guys, who are also very quick, and would benefit from copying and talking with a top guard with their own attributes. I hope we sign him right after we sign Wagner.

Latest posts