Everyone's blaming Bevell, but......

mrt144

Reaction score
I want to reiterate, we are ranked 30th in Rushing DVOA only ahead of Minny and the Rams. We haven't had positive rushing DVOA once this season. I think we're vastly overstating just how effective the running game is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OkieHawk":roexmvkl said:
Sgt. Largent":roexmvkl said:
btw, it was 2nd and 20, what good does an inside slant do for 10 yards tops?

You can get a quick slant off to a 6ft 7 TE quickly. 10 yards is better than 0 or a negative gain.

I honestly don't see the difference in a quick slant and a bubble screen success wise...........other than what we found out in the SB, a quick slant is much riskier.

Neither is going to net you many yards. You guys are really nitpicking to prove your point.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":19kl9o0t said:
Kind of easy to see that we abandoned the run from beginning to end. Despite having pretty good success when we did run it.

I'm really hoping that we just run the ball and be damned with it for a couple weeks.

That's a fantastic post and I agree with your points.

What I cant wrap my head around is why they seem so unwilling to utilize C-Mike more but it is painfully obvious they are not comfortable using him as a work horse.

It could be for lack of depth in case of injury but that is not the feeling I get. There is more to it that we will likely never know.

Pete has alot of history with RB's also and has always had a premier running game. That tells me that there is more problems with C-Mike than we know. Look how fast they made Rawls the premier back when it appeared C-Mike was doing well and the normal procedure would be to slowly increase Rawls carries.

Unfortunately with Collins not looking near ready to unseat C-Mike it looks like our hands are tied to limiting some of the things we would like to do.

Hopefully Rawls can come back, stays healthy and give us a real option soon. Either that or Collins suddenly figures it out because I don't see us improving much otherwise.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13zwa9ay said:
OkieHawk":13zwa9ay said:
Sgt. Largent":13zwa9ay said:
btw, it was 2nd and 20, what good does an inside slant do for 10 yards tops?

You can get a quick slant off to a 6ft 7 TE quickly. 10 yards is better than 0 or a negative gain.

I honestly don't see the difference in a quick slant and a bubble screen success wise...........other than what we found out in the SB, a quick slant is much riskier.

Neither is going to net you many yards. You guys are really nitpicking to prove your point.

Much riskier? How many slants have been intercepted on a 2nd and 20?

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
WmHBonney":289xtqaq said:
There is a reason that no other team has poached our OC like they poached our DCs the past couple of years. That tells me what I need to know.
This keeps getting repeated in Fire Bevell arguments but a reasonable counter is that, instead of him staying because nobody covets him and his enviable offensive record, he stays because he is where he wants to be - including for the compensation the Seahawks pay him.

We have the richest NFL owner by far in a league where coaches are one of the areas not covered by any spending cap and where fat wallets make a big difference. It would not surprise me in the least if guys like Bevell and Cable and Richard aren't better-compensated than some HC's on shoe-string teams.

Do we know Bevell's salary?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":16xpzmur said:
WmHBonney":16xpzmur said:
There is a reason that no other team has poached our OC like they poached our DCs the past couple of years. That tells me what I need to know.
This keeps getting repeated in Fire Bevell arguments but a reasonable counter is that, instead of him staying because nobody covets him and his enviable offensive record, he stays because he is where he wants to be - including for the compensation the Seahawks pay him.

We have the richest NFL owner by far in a league where coaches are one of the areas not covered by any spending cap and where fat wallets make a big difference. It would not surprise me in the least if guys like Bevell and Cable and Richard aren't better-compensated than some HC's on shoe-string teams.

Took Mike Zimmer 20 years to get a head coaching gig, did that mean he stunk? Cause he's looking pretty good about now. Flip side, McDaniels OMG greatest O-coordinator maybe ever!..................*crash and burn*.

Stats don't lie..........our offense has improved stats wise each year under Bevell working with Russell and this offense. I believe that trend would have continued had Russell and most of our key offensive weapons been hurt almost the entire season so far.

I don't know any coordinator that could not miss a beat with 3/4th's of his skill position players hurt or limited and this bad of an O-line.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
^ Right, stats don't lie and there's a good chance that compensation to many coaches depends in part on those stats.

If so, Bev coukd be in the cat birds seat.

chris98251

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2fy630hu said:
^ Right, stats don't lie and there's a good chance that compensation to many coaches depends in part on those stats.

If so, Bev coukd be in the cat birds seat.

Stats lie all the time, you glean situational stats you want to represent a point. Our running game sucks, our points scored suck, I don't need Stats to see that.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1ko14jwo said:
WmHBonney":1ko14jwo said:

You should always be aiming for a higher position. I really don't think Bevell is staying in Seattle as opposed to seeking and accepting a HC job because he just "enjoys it more here as a coordinator." This would be like a co-pilot never wanting to check out as a captain.

Coaches end up moving around the whole country, never staying in one place for extended periods because they're always looking for the next higher position. 2 of our recent DCs are now HCs and our OC has never been offered an NFL job. You need to draw your own logical conclusion as to why.

There's been many arguments by the pro-Bevell crowd offering up hypotheticals that "he's just waiting to be next in-line when Pete retires" or "maybe he's just happy as a coordinator" or "maybe he just loves Seattle so much." But these arguments really fail the common sense test-he's just not wanted by any other NFL team as a HC.

mrt144

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":33tyb1jy said:
LeftHandSmoke":33tyb1jy said:
WmHBonney":33tyb1jy said:

You should always be aiming for a higher position. I really don't think Bevell is staying in Seattle as opposed to seeking and accepting a HC job because he just "enjoys it more here as a coordinator." This would be like a co-pilot never wanting to check out as a captain.

Coaches end up moving around the whole country, never staying in one place for extended periods because they're always looking for the next higher position. 2 of our recent DCs are now HCs and our OC has never been offered an NFL job. You need to draw your own logical conclusion as to why.

There's been many arguments by the pro-Bevell crowd offering up hypotheticals that "he's just waiting to be next in-line when Pete retires" or "maybe he's just happy as a coordinator" or "maybe he just loves Seattle so much." But these arguments really fail the common sense test-he's just not wanted by any other NFL team as a HC.

Why should you always be aiming for a higher position? That personal value of every increasing position only gets play in ego driven circles (which football coaching is rife with). If you make money hand over fist doing something you ostensibly love, why give it up? Maybe Bevell's lack of ambition is a red flag because he doesn't push himself to the limits and risk his own ego as much as he should but as much as I find fault with him, if he loves Seattle, his job, the people he works with, then I understand him completely on this. I live this reality every day but I make considerably less.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
mrt144":2hdy002b said:
West TX Hawk":2hdy002b said:
LeftHandSmoke":2hdy002b said:
WmHBonney":2hdy002b said:

Why should you always be aiming for a higher position? That personal value of every increasing position only gets play in ego driven circles (which football coaching is rife with). If you make money hand over fist doing something you ostensibly love, why give it up? Maybe Bevell's lack of ambition is a red flag because he doesn't push himself to the limits and risk his own ego as much as he should but as much as I find fault with him, if he loves Seattle, his job, the people he works with, then I understand him completely on this. I live this reality every day but I make considerably less.

While you bring up an interesting point that perhaps his ambition is lacking which would indeed make him questionable to other teams, the evidence we do have is that he did receive an interview a few years ago with Oakland IIRC, which proves that he was seeking a HC opportunity. Hence, with no other interviews or offers since, it leads one to a likely theory that his performance the last few seasons is the reason.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2901k8ic said:
LeftHandSmoke":2901k8ic said:
WmHBonney":2901k8ic said:

You don't know any of this. You are just casting your own bias as to what you think is the norm for an NFL coach. But the Hawks job, working with Pete and being compensated by PA may be a much better position for Bevell in the overall scheme of things.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1lm7xbhd said:
West TX Hawk":1lm7xbhd said:
LeftHandSmoke":1lm7xbhd said:
WmHBonney":1lm7xbhd said:

You don't know any of this. You are just casting your own bias as to what you think is the norm for an NFL coach. But the Hawks job, working with Pete and being compensated by PA may be a much better position for Bevell in the overall scheme of things.

Here's what we do know:
1) Bevell has been an OC the last 11 years.
2) Bevell wanted to become a head coach in the NFL so much that he interviewed with the struggling Oakland Raiders 2 years ago despite the Hawks as defending SB champs: http://www.mercurynews.com/2014/12/31/r ... ching-job/
2) Bevell in response to other failed HC interviews with the Redskins, Bears twice and Arizona "I wouldn't say it's frustrating," said Bevell. "I'm excited for those opportunities. When it happens, it's going to happen." http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/pack ... 47231.html

So your perpetual argument that "Bevs is just waiting to take over Pete when he retires," completely fails because he has been actively seeking HC jobs and has failed every time. Your other frequent argument that "Bevell must just like staying Seattle" also fails because he would not be looking to move to coach Oakland, Phoenix, Chicago, etc.

And while yes I obviously cannot know what is in Bevell's mind, the above is all verified so therefore the only logical conclusion as to why he hasn't been hired anywhere or even granted an interview in nearly 2 years is because his performance has indicated to NFL personnel that he is not head coach caliber.

mkamodo

Reaction score
What's the game plan or go to play calls when your o-line is marching us back into 2 and 20 or worse, get beat repeatedly in passing situations, can't run the ball on 1st down , is the least paid O-line in the league and absolute trash. How many talented nfl teams have seen an entire season go bust cuz their line is dumpster quality.

It happends every year. We lost a pro bowl left tackle and the best run blocking guard in the game and replaced the two with nothing short of awful backup caliber talent. This years done . First good d-line matchup we face in the playoffs if we make it is over before the game begins. X's and O's don't correct that shit nor does a good quarterback ask phillip rivers , archie manning , andrew luck (someone plz add to the list.) O-line is not to be overlooked as bad as we did this off season. John Gruden has mad respect for Bevell , praises him all the time. Coming from Gruden (the best o-coordinator and play caller in the nfl for a decade) that says something.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Agreed that this is a lazy overreaction.

For anyone saying that the gameplan should have called for Russ to get rid of the ball fast on quick slants:

Wilson was pressured on 40% of dropbacks and had the second fastest throwing time of the week at 2.27 seconds.
https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/791015691784773632

No matter the offensive genius, most guys can be covered for 2.27 seconds. This ridiculous amount of pressure simply doesn't allow for complex route concepts that are required to beat good defenses like Arizona. Moreover, when you know you are getting pressure, the secondary can play very aggressive and sit on short routes - making their job that much easier.

Our offensive line is the biggest problem by far. Anyone who can't see that clearly is lost.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2sh9o5p4 said:
West TX Hawk":2sh9o5p4 said:
LeftHandSmoke":2sh9o5p4 said:
WmHBonney":2sh9o5p4 said:

Here's what we do know:
1) Bevell has been an OC the last 11 years.
2) Bevell wanted to become a head coach in the NFL so much that he interviewed with the struggling Oakland Raiders 2 years ago despite the Hawks as defending SB champs: http://www.mercurynews.com/2014/12/31/r ... ching-job/
2) Bevell in response to other failed HC interviews with the Redskins, Bears twice and Arizona "I wouldn't say it's frustrating," said Bevell. "I'm excited for those opportunities. When it happens, it's going to happen." http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/pack ... 47231.html

So your perpetual argument that "Bevs is just waiting to take over Pete when he retires," completely fails because he has been actively seeking HC jobs and has failed every time. Your other frequent argument that "Bevell must just like staying Seattle" also fails because he would not be looking to move to coach Oakland, Phoenix, Chicago, etc.

And while yes I obviously cannot know what is in Bevell's mind, the above is all verified so therefore the only logical conclusion as to why he hasn't been hired anywhere or even granted an interview in nearly 2 years is because his performance has indicated to NFL personnel that he is not head coach caliber.
BYU also came sniffing, but Bevell balked at that. Two years is a fairly long time, so it's not inconceivable that there has been discussion of being the head coach of the Hawks after Pete decides to retire. Cable or Richard might also be in the mix. Hopefully that's a long time away anyhow. As has been mentioned, Zimmer waited 22 years to get a head gig and he's taken to that role quite well. Bevell is still young, so there's no rush there either. Sure the right opportunity could present itself that he couldn't pass up, but I think he's happy where he's at. I think it would be a lot of fun to work for Pete. It's a win-win for both the Seahawks and Bevell.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Just because other teams sounded him out with offers, says little about if Bev was willing to go there after hearing them out.

Fade

Reaction score
If Bevell had no aspirations of being a HC, he wouldn't have interviewed while the team was making deep playoff runs in 2012, & 2013. He would of declined those interviews, and focused 100% on game planning for the opponent, since he had no interest in being a HC. Sorry to break it to you folks, but Bevell would love to be an NFL HC.

Latest posts