Geno Smith...

keasley45

Reaction score
I am going off of Geno's entire career for my assertion that he sucks not two partial preseason games.

Like I stated.....I want Geno to start half the season to prove me right and to make some of the homers realize it, as well.

I previously stated that Steve Young played crappy with the Bucs...then he changes teams and became an HOF.

That is precisely where Lock is now.....Geno has already changed four teams and doesn't fall into this category.

It's not simply changing teams. If Steve Young had gone to the Patriots and then the Jets, and oilers, before he landed in San Francisco, he'd likely had sucked there too. It wasn't the number of times he changed teams, it was who he went to.

That that was necessary to point out has made this whole convo a little bit less frustrating in way.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
I am going off of Geno's entire career for my assertion that he sucks not two partial preseason games.

Like I stated.....I want Geno to start half the season to prove me right and to make some of the homers realize it, as well.

I previously stated that Steve Young played crappy with the Bucs...then he changes teams and became an HOF.

That is precisely where Lock is now.....Geno has already changed four teams and doesn't fall into this category.

The fact that you want to prove a point and for him to suck is all that needs to be known.

Geno could be 3 games into the season and playing just as well then as he is now and you'd say, 'it's only three games', or after a win, bring up the quality of the team he beat.

It won't ever be just evaluating the play on the field, in the game that he just played. Instead, it will be about what he did 5 years ago.

That's the difference here. Nothing else. The people who are watching him and seeing play that ranks him as the top passer in preseason, look at that quality of play, and on the heels of his last real action last year, can make a reasonable assumption that his good play to end his starts last year maybe wasnt an abberation. Will that mean he'll throw the lights out? No. Just means that right now, he's showing he's a 95+ graded passer.

Doesn't mean he WILL stay there. Just that he's better than he's been.

Logical.

It's something else to ignore everything you see in favor of the worst possible (and imagined) alternate reality from the past.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
The fact that you want to prove a point and for him to suck is all that needs to be known.

Geno could be 3 games into the season and playing just as well then as he is now and you'd say, 'it's only three games', or after a win, bring up the quality of the team he beat.

It won't ever be just evaluating the play on the field, in the game that he just played. Instead, it will be about what he did 5 years ago.

That's the difference here. Nothing else. The people who are watching him and seeing play that ranks him as the top passer in preseason, look at that quality of play, and on the heels of his last real action last year, can make a reasonable assumption that his good play to end his starts last year maybe wasnt an abberation. Will that mean he'll throw the lights out? No. Just means that right now, he's showing he's a 95+ graded passer.

Doesn't mean he WILL stay there. Just that he's better than he's been.

Logical.

It's something else to ignore everything you see in favor of the worst possible (and imagined) alternate reality from the past.
The top passer in preseason? LMAO That means absolutely nothing.

How many games is it going to take for you to accept the fact Geno isn't very good?

Rosco

Reaction score
It's not simply changing teams. If Steve Young had gone to the Patriots and then the Jets, and oilers, before he landed in San Francisco, he'd likely had sucked there too. It wasn't the number of times he changed teams, it was who he went to.

That that was necessary to point out has made this whole convo a little bit less frustrating in way.
The point I believe he’s making is that Lock has played well in the same style offense Shane Waldron runs. The WCO that Waldron runs is essentially the same WCO Lock ran his rookie season. It’s part of the reason PC brought up Locks rookie season when they traded for him

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'll give you credit, you are def. Geno Smith. Welcome to the board

(it's a joke, breathe in)
Believe it or not, it IS OK for people to disagree on how good a player is. It's nothing new. You think he's very good to great, many of us think he's average to bad. We get it already.

Hopefully you're right about the guy.

keasley45

Reaction score
I'll give you credit, you are def. Geno Smith. Welcome to the board

(it's a joke, breathe in)
Believe it or not, it IS OK for people to disagree on how good a player is. It's nothing new. You think he's very good to great, many of us think he's average to bad. We get it already.

Hopefully you're right about the guy.

Please don't misrepresent my words. I've literally said the exact same thing about 20 times.

The ONLY thing I'm saying is he's playing well. That's it. If you want to discard that fact because in his previous stints, he wasn't good, that's on you and yiu have every right.

It's just the constant insertion of that he's actually playing badly right now, against the obvious facts, that's just being contrarian for the sake of it.

Will he suck like you think he will? maybe. Will he be solid? Maybe. Right now, he's playing well, and has since last year. Not great. Nit setting the world on fire. Not getting anyone to think he's the next guy. Just solid.

No one is challenging anyone's right to an opinion. It's challenging the facts at hand that's tiresome.

If / when he sucks, I'll be the first one to be disappointed. No illusions here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Is he playing well? Against a bunch of backups. Meh. I'll believe it when I some W's in the regular season. You act like they are a playoff contender with Geno f'in Smith.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Is he playing well? Against a bunch of backups. Meh. I'll believe it when I some W's in the regular season. You act like they are a playoff contender with Geno f'in Smith.
He literally just asked you not to misrepresent his words, and you did pretty much the same misrepresentation of his words... again.

He is not acting like "they're a playoff contender with Geno f'in Smith." You are clearly not reading the posts you're replying to. Where the hell are you getting this stuff from?

"Right now, he's playing well, and has since last year. Not great. Not setting the world on fire. Not getting anyone to think he's the next guy. Just solid."

HOW is that remotely close to what you're claiming he's saying? It's not even close!

I beg of you to read the post before you respond, because you're currently arguing against a completely fabricated point of view that isn't being expressed by the other party.

BASF

Reaction score
These people are literally trolling and both of you are feeding them. Do not feed the trolls.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
This is hysterical...

Well, you must admit that that strawman (that you were arguing that a QB can't share part of the blame for failure to score) won't be threatening anyone anymore. It's been thoroughly destroyed!

On the other hand, what you were actually saying remains untouched, and @Maelstrom787 's request for examples remains ignored. 🤷‍♂️

But strawmen at best tangentially related to your position are taking a real beating in this thread. I mean, c'mon, look what was just done to the position you never held, that the Seahawks are a playoff contender with Geno effin' Smith. Completely crushed!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m learning a lot this thread. I’m learning that if you LIKE Geno Smith you can prove he will be good based on what could have happened in preseason games if other players did better.

I’m learning you cannot have an opinion that you DISLIKE Geno based on watching him last year and this preseason unless you write a three page stats based analysis complete with video.

For 10 years Coaches on different teams didn’t think he was good enough to start. (Yes I am aware of the fight/injury). No teams tried to trade for him while he was a backup to be their starter because they didn’t see it in him either. But, all of the sudden we are to believe he is a starting quality QB in the NFL? Based on mediocre preseason play?

But that opinion isn’t allowed?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I’m learning a lot this thread. I’m learning that if you LIKE Geno Smith you can prove he will be good based on what could have happened in preseason games if other players did better.

I’m learning you cannot have an opinion that you DISLIKE Geno based on watching him last year and this preseason unless you write a three page stats based analysis complete with video.

For 10 years Coaches on different teams didn’t think he was good enough to start. (Yes I am aware of the fight/injury). No teams tried to trade for him while he was a backup to be their starter because they didn’t see it in him either. But, all of the sudden we are to believe he is a starting quality QB in the NFL? Based on mediocre preseason play?

But that opinion isn’t allowed?
Scramble the fighter jets, because an unidentified flying object known as "the point" just flew 8000 feet over this dude's head.

We're talking ABOUT his preseason play, and by extension his play last year. If you want to unequivocally dismiss it as not of acceptable quality, please post reasonable supporting data and analysis to that effect. Otherwise, you're wrong, because there has been countless other analysis pointing to him being pretty solid in his Seahawk tenure.

That doesn't mean he won't regress. No one is saying he won't regress.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem with Geno isn't that he is terrible. The problem is that he is likely good enough to tread water but not good enough to beat the better teams, be any kind of threat by himself, carry a team in any way, or take us to the playoffs.

And if he cannot do those things, all he is doing is taking valuable time needed to get someone else in that seat. (Kind of my argument with Pete, but honestly probably just as hard to get a great HC as get a star QB.)

If Geno is a flaming dumpsterfire, then we ditch him, get a good QB with the good draft pick and apparently we are reloaded. But if Geno is mediocre, then Pete will get us to .500 at least. At that point, we aren't a threat but we won't be improving either.

Is that acceptable? Depends on your expectations as a fan. But if the expectation is that we COULD be good with a good QB, then we probably want one instead.