Geno Smith...

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Surprised how riled up people are getting about someone just not having much confidence in Geno. Shoot, I don't have much confidence in Lock either. It's sports. Some like a player, some don't.
But I don't bail on my team, ever. Thru thick and thin. I still think they are building a good team thru the draft and should be pretty good in 2023.
My thoughts, as well. However, Lock is still an unknown quantity while Geno is a known quantity.

Personally, I would rather have Lock start but that won't snuff out the Geno Homers' last hope that he's turned a corner.

Therefore, we need to have Geno start a few regular season games first.

CPHawk

Reaction score
There really is no foolproof approach.
Patriots did the thing I like, which is draft a QB in damn near every draft and hope one blossoms. I think the best case was Jimmy G. Not great. Look at the QB they have now, not a slam dunk at all.

Other teams tanked for #1, getting guys like Winston and Baker. Neither worked out.
The Chargers lucked into a potential good one with the 3rd pick, but the Eagles getting Wentz did not work out - and he ticked all the boxes.
Then you have the Bills, who look great now - but when Allen was drafted, even a year later, it wasn't clear he would be the stud he turned into.
(Maybe JS saw it though? Maybe JS has the secret sauce on finding these guys?)

But the kind of guy that turns into a Wilson or Rodgers or even Brees, much less a Montana or Brady? Comes every 3-5 years.

So tanking doesn't even help that much as it has to be the right year. 1 in 5 or 1 in 3 isn't great. But is better than 0%.
Potential good one? He is is already a top 5 QB in the NFL.

People forget, Pete wanted Allen, but when Russ threw a fit they backed off that move. Pete also really liked Mahomes. Should never make your roster decisions based on what a player thinks, that’s how we end up where we are now.

Scout

Reaction score
Is there a perspective that does not rely on hypothetical upside or skill level projections? Some people act like these things are tangible and measurable when they are not. Life is not a video game.

The problem with projecting both QBs is the small sample size. Geno's started four games in 6 years. Projected over a season, his numbers are above average for a starting QB. However, those projections assume defenses don't adapt to his style of play throughout the season, so they tell us very little. Similarly, you can't use his failure to win games as evidence, either. Why? Because despite being 1-3, he's a handful of plays from 4-0, and several of those plays were not his fault.

What we know is that Geno appears to be winning the QB competition. And despite what many think, he's played well this preseason. His adjusted completion percentage is 83%, the highest in the NFL. So where's the evidence that he can't be a good starting QB? There is none. It's a hedge based mostly on his reputation. The same is true of Lock, which is why credence should be given to the competition's winner.
If Geno wins the QB job he will be fine as a bridge QB. But I am okay with seeing what Lock can do as well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You're funny Maelstrom. How about you worry about you and I'll worry about me. I've never seen such commitment to an average QB. When did Geno Smith become some great QB that's good enough to get the team to the Playoffs? Do tell.

Then again, it's not even worth talking about. You won't budge and neither will I.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
...But for some reason he has trouble with consistency. The reasons for that are mindboggling and don't make a lot of sense....
To transcend the position at this level you cannot be in thought. I believe Geno attempts to think through too much and that conscious processing is simply too slow to not lead to failure over time.

Failed plays happen all the time. Look at Russell's tenure - he did so well because he not only believed he transcended the game he would flush the many bad plays that occurred throughout most games that could be used to support the opposite.

Bad plays happen for every QB - the best QBs don't tend to let the mistakes and poor execution get into their heads.

It's the mentals!

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
What is it you need to have explained? How to read? How to comprehend basic written concepts? How to form a rational thought?
What are you basing your opinion on that Geno is better than he ever has been?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
They're not? Reexplain it for me so I can understand what they are basing it on.
This whole thread is predicated on a simple split between truth and opinion, and people conflating the two.

Opinions are fine, and literally nobody here thinks that Geno is now a plus starter in the league based on two preseason games.

If you read that somewhere here, no you didn't.

If you extrapolated that from any of these comments, then you're just whaling on a strawman.

No one thinks that.

Myself and others are simply pointing out the Geno has pretty much indisputably played his position well during this preseason. This shouldn't be controversial - it's well-established and a small enough sample to where every snap has been analyzed and can be recalled.

I feel the need to repeat that no one thinks this makes Geno a plus starter or even a viable starter for an extended period. No one is saying that. No one.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You're funny Maelstrom. How about you worry about you and I'll worry about me. I've never seen such commitment to an average QB. When did Geno Smith become some great QB that's good enough to get the team to the Playoffs? Do tell.

Then again, it's not even worth talking about. You won't budge and neither will I.
No one is saying that Geno is a playoff quarterback.

No one is saying that Geno is a playoff quarterback.

For a third time, no one is saying that Geno is a playoff quarterback.

No one.

Not a single soul.

Literally no one.

You are talking to yourself. You are inventing words that have not been said.

You are asking me a rhetorical question based on something I never said.

Attachments

• c5edb613-a096-41d4-bfcf-e90ac3a70cb4_text.gif
    c5edb613-a096-41d4-bfcf-e90ac3a70cb4_text.gif
    601.7 KB · Views: 1

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
This whole thread is predicated on a simple split between truth and opinion, and people conflating the two.

Opinions are fine, and literally nobody here thinks that Geno is now a plus starter in the league based on two preseason games.

If you read that somewhere here, no you didn't.

If you extrapolated that from any of these comments, then you're just whaling on a strawman.

No one thinks that.

Myself and others are simply pointing out the Geno has pretty much indisputably played his position well during this preseason. This shouldn't be controversial - it's well-established and a small enough sample to where every snap has been analyzed and can be recalled.

I feel the need to repeat that no one thinks this makes Geno a plus starter or even a viable starter for an extended period. No one is saying that. No one.

So, you are basing it on his partial preseason game performances....Like I previously stated.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So sensitive M. Lighten up man. It's a MESSAGE BOARD. People have DIFFERENT OPINIONS. It's really gonna' be ok.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I'm not the only person who thinks Geno is average at best. Big f'ing deal. Why do you care so much???? Seriously.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So sensitive. Lighten up man. It's a MESSAGE BOARD. People have DIFFERENT OPINIONS. It's really gonna' be ok.
Then stop responding if opinions are so unimpeachable. You have a lot to say about the opinions of others for being so upset when yours get challenged.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, it's a message board. Don't care at all. This is what it's for. Some good back and forth. Sorry to disappoint you, but it doesn't bother me at all.
And what's wrong with some back and forth? It's fun, it's nothing personal.

Latest posts