Geno Trade Value?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
lol I'll never understand this thought process.
Because it happens a lot.
With this mentality you'd just continually pick up middling vets because you don't want to miss on a QB. You're just as likely to miss on a prospect of every other position too, heck why not just trade all your draft picks since they're scary! :)
The mentality is that we have a league-average QB when we have many skill positions that aren't league average. LB, S, CB (unfortunately), DL, OL. We also likely need to replace Lockett.

Now, if JS/MM think they have a stud available to them, go ahead and get him. I'm not opposed to better QB play. There is room for improvement (understatement). It'd be also nice to know our QB 5 years from now.

But the obsession with replacing Geno with whothefuckever and pretending he isn't a serviceable NFL QB or that Lock is a legitimate replacement is an annoyance.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score

The mentality is that we have a league-average QB when we have many skill positions that aren't league average. LB, S, CB (unfortunately), DL, OL. We also likely need to replace Lockett.

Now, if JS/MM think they have a stud available to them, go ahead and get him. I'm not opposed to better QB play. There is room for improvement (understatement). It'd be also nice to know our QB 5 years from now.

But the obsession with replacing Geno with whothefuckever and pretending he isn't a serviceable NFL QB or that Lock is a legitimate replacement is an annoyance.
Lock is the same as Geno except he has better rushing yardage and he's younger and he's cheaper.

Don't tell me I posted all those stats for nothing.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Lock is the same as Geno except he has better rushing yardage and he's younger and he's cheaper.

You posted collegiate numbers like that's relevant.

Ozzy

Reaction score

lol I agree with all of this. At this point I'd be surprised if they don't roll with Geno, just seems like th eeasiest path for Macdonald to get rolling too. If you trade Geno there is a chance the wheels fall off.

12forlife

Reaction score
Geno, in my opinion, is an above average QB. His problem is age, teams won't look upon him as someone that has "upside". If Geno's 27, with his record from the past three seasons, Hawks might get a first or a second plus third combo.
Dream on!

GeekHawk

Reaction score
As one of .sucks prime knuckleheads, I would guess 3-4. Just scoring close to two td's per game like a top 5 qb would count for at least three wins I should think. Yes I know, I know, that's a simplistic view, and it's never Geno's fault.
I never said "it's never Geno's fault". I did pretty much say that the very best QB ever couldn't have overcome the D and do much better though. I did imply that Geno cost us a couple of games with boneheaded decisions though, so pretty much exactly *not* what you said there.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Insane how pissy some guys get about hating their own quarterback.

The Russ haters were never this belligerent.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Hey, it sounds like every non-Geno Smith Haters internal monologue for almost two years straight when faced with mountains of absolutely baseless confirmation-bias-fueled haranguing

I'm sorry your own medicine tastes like rancid feces.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Let's compare apples to apples.... Metrics and first five seasons

Drew Lock - 27 yrs
View attachment 64581
View attachment 64577
View attachment 64576

Geno Smith - 33 yrs
View attachment 64583
View attachment 64582
View attachment 64575

Last 6 seasons
View attachment 64585

Like I said..... They are clones other than the time Geno had in the Seattle's offense and scheme.
No, they aren't 'clones' and they aren't close and I don't know why you keep bringing up the 'time' in Seattle's offense. When Geno came in for Russ in 2021, he had been in Shane Waldron's system for less than a season.

When Drew came in for Teddy Bridgewater in 2021, he had been in that system for a season and a half. When he came in for Geno this year, he had also been in that system for a season and a half.

To remind, this is how those stints compare:

Success RatePasser RatingQBRANY/A
Geno (2021)44.4%103.045.85.42
Drew (2021)36.7%80.423.45.71
Drew (2023)40.2%81.244.95.39

This isn't 'starter' Geno with more time in the system I'm comparing to Drew Lock. This is backup Geno, with LESS time in his system vs. backup Drew that same year and 2 years later.

Drew as a backup in 2021 was much worse than Geno as a backup in 2021.

Drew as a backup for the Seahawks in Shane Waldron's system was much worse than Geno was as a backup for the Seahawks in Shane Waldron's system.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
No, they aren't 'clones' and they aren't close and I don't know why you keep bringing up the 'time' in Seattle's offense. When Geno came in for Russ in 2021, he had been in Shane Waldron's system for less than a season.

When Drew came in for Teddy Bridgewater in 2021, he had been in that system for a season and a half. When he came in for Geno this year, he had also been in that system for a season and a half.

To remind, this is how those stints compare:

Success RatePasser RatingQBRANY/A
Geno (2021)44.4%103.045.85.42
Drew (2021)36.7%80.423.45.71
Drew (2023)40.2%81.244.95.39

This isn't 'starter' Geno with more time in the system I'm comparing to Drew Lock. This is backup Geno, with LESS time in his system vs. backup Drew that same year and 2 years later.

Drew as a backup in 2021 was much worse than Geno as a backup in 2021.

Drew as a backup for the Seahawks in Shane Waldron's system was much worse than Geno was as a backup for the Seahawks in Shane Waldron's system.
Maybe I should be comparing Geno Bridgewater to Teddy Bridgewater.

Parallax

Reaction score
lol I'll never understand this thought process. With this mentality you'd just continually pick up middling vets because you don't want to miss on a QB. You're just as likely to miss on a prospect of every other position too, heck why not just trade all your draft picks since they're scary! :)

It seems like the NFL is getting better at scouting these guys and drafting a Mcgwire is less likely now than it was then. I think the Seahawks are ran well enough that if they deem a guy can't missin the first round I would bet on the guy not completely busting. Most of the busts I'd argue aren't because they were wrongly scouted but because they coaching staff and environment, they went to were terrible.

Anyway I'm mostly teasing you, I think at this point the best course of action is to keep Geno AND draft a guy for the future. You may miss but you still have to take that chance at times. Look at all 8 QB's in the final 8....they're all very good.
I'm with you except for one point. Not seeing how the NFL is getting better at assessing QBs. As recently as 2021, five were drafted in the first round. Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields and Jones. Three years later, of those five, zero have proven themselves to be franchise guys. Lawrence shows promise. Wilson, Lance and Jones have shown nothing and Fields has shown little.

Last year, Stroud exceeded expectations, Richardson and Levis showed promise, and that's pretty much it. Too early to call Young a bust. I'm still pulling for him, but then I cheer for all of these guys. It's sad when a kid tries his best and falls short.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm with you except for one point. Not seeing how the NFL is getting better at assessing QBs. As recently as 2021, five were drafted in the first round. Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields and Jones. Three years later, of those five, zero have proven themselves to be franchise guys. Lawrence shows promise. Wilson, Lance and Jones have shown nothing and Fields has shown little.

Last year, Stroud exceeded expectations, Richardson and Levis showed promise, and that's pretty much it. Too early to call Young a bust. I'm still pulling for him, but then I cheer for all of these guys. It's sad when a kid tries his best and falls short.

It’s a fair point. I think some teams are getting better at evaluating players and I’d also say some of those misses might be more situationally based than wrongly scouted. Look at Lawrence when he had Meyer. He looked like the worst QB in the league. New staff comes in and Lawrence looks much better. Jones went to NE where Bellicheck destroyed the talent around him. Wilson and Lance I think are just busts. You’re still going to have some misses just like with any other position but I think the league has gotten smarter? But as I type this I realize I may be giving them too much credit….something to think about.

I think Young still has a chance to pop. His situation was terrible. Hopefully Canales can work his magic.

Again I’m open to being wrong here. It’s a subjective thought for sure.

I still think because the position is so valuable you have to take some chances and be willing to miss. The final 8 playoff teams all had really, really good QB play. If you don’t have a top 10 QB you better be special somewhere else and even then it’s a tough road. You need ultra efficient production from that position and if Macdonald doesn’t get it he will be a .500 QB like Pete, Bill and every other elite coach is when they don’t have one