Hawks Scheduled to Host Evan Mathis this Week

netskier

Reaction score
I think the time would be well spent because it would provide us the time to train our new guys, and give us a winning record in our early season games. HFA is important in the playoffs.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
You can easily take $4m of Okung's salary this year & convert it to a signing bonus as part of an extension for him. That would free up the space we'd need for Mathis.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2qob7dz0 said:
Waste of time. Suppose we sign him, does Britt go back to right tackle? What in the hell are the Hawks doing unless.... he can play center.

He might be able to play some center, but I think the first scenario is more likely in this hypothetical situation. Mathis mans his usual left guard position, giving us an All-Pro athletic freak there, and Britt, Gilliam, and Bailey all battle at RT. Matthis, Nowak, and Sweezy give us three monsters in the interior, opening up freeways for Marshawn. A man can dream. :th2thumbs:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Could be a leverage thing for Mathis, but I wouldn't discount the possibility outright (though it seems unlikely). If the answers at LG/RT don't become any clearer after the KC game, they may have no other choice but to make a move. It'd mess up their future cap and necessitate a cut, but Pete and John ain't gonna forfeit this season to preserve a cap model.

Fade

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1smp8cxn said:
Waste of time. Suppose we sign him, does Britt go back to right tackle? What in the hell are the Hawks doing unless.... he can play center.

Britt would become Paul McQuistan, on a rookie wage scale contract for the next 3 years. It looks like it's heading that way anyway even if they don't sign Mathis.

Wartooth

Reaction score
From Rotoworld...

The Seahawks are scheduled to host free agent OG Evan Mathis on Saturday.
After losing James Carpenter in free agency and trading Max Unger, Seattle isn't satisfied with its current front five. Mathis is an athletic and sometimes-nasty run blocker who would likely take over immediately at left guard, upgrading the interior in a major way. Mathis is reportedly interested in playing for a contender. The Seahawks have gone to back-to-back Super Bowls, winning one and losing the other on the very last play.
Related: Seahawks
Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter Aug 20 - 7:45 PM

jkitsune

Reaction score
hawknation2015":cx26jcke said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/634511023270178816[/tweet]

Interesting . . . we don't have anything close to the kind of cap space he is likely looking for. But maybe a one-year "prove it" deal for close to the veteran minimum to win a Super Bowl and stick it to Chip Kelly, parlaying it into a long-term deal somewhere else? Seems unlikely he would turn down more money elsewhere at his age and recent injury history.

Prove what? Evan Mathis is an excellent player, and although the Hawks are a great team, players aren't in the habit of taking far below market value (let alone minimum wage) just to have a one-year chance to win a Super Bowl.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Lets say 5.5m number is the starting point for Mathis's side. Buts he's already missed half of training camp, is 34 years old, and is likely going to take half the season getting in Sync with everyone from the O-line to the Skill players to the offensive system. Lets assume the Seahawks can talk that price down to 4.5m all guaranteed.

Lets say they offer him a 1.5m guaranteed base + a 3m signing bonus protrated over 3 years, 2015 + 2 faux years.

He essentially costs only $2.5 against the cap but makes $4.5m altogether. Seahawks have to eat $2m over 2016 and 2017 but if they think Mathis will be worth the upgrade and a better fit to protect thier franchise QB then it would be worth it.

This can be done without cutting anyone, money would be tight, and if needed later, theyd probably could ask one of the long-term players to move some base salary into a signing bonus type move to free up cap.

Exittium

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1c9ap291 said:
Seafan":1c9ap291 said:
Jared Allen part 2.
That's the first thing that came to my mind also. I'll just take a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance this time if nobody minds.

Same

Fade

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1j1oxc85 said:
Lets say 5.5m number is the starting point for Mathis's side. Buts he's already missed half of training camp, is 34 years old, and is likely going to take half the season getting in Sync with everyone from the O-line to the Skill players to the offensive system. Lets assume the Seahawks can talk that price down to 4.5m all guaranteed.

Lets say they offer him a 1.5m guaranteed base + a 3m signing bonus protrated over 3 years, 2015 + 2 faux years.

He essentially costs only $2.5 against the cap but makes $4.5m altogether. Seahawks have to eat $2m over 2016 and 2017 but if they think Mathis will be worth the upgrade and a better fit to protect thier franchise QB then it would be worth it.

This can be done without cutting anyone, money would be tight, and if needed later, theyd probably could ask one of the long-term players to move some base salary into a signing bonus type move to free up cap.

I agree with you entirely, but the Hawks have been extremely conservative when it comes to converting base salaries to signing bonuses. The Seahawks have been the anti Dallas / New Orleans of the world when it comes to kicking the can down the road. There is a middle ground obviously, but it seems Seattle doesn't even want to go there.

Fade

Reaction score
Here is a better one. Extend Brandon Mebane 4 years. giving him a $5 million signing bonus with a $1 million base. Saving roughly $3 million against the cap this year. Turn around and sign Evan Mathis to a 1 year deal for $4 million (selling to him he can chase a ring and hit Free Agency the next offseason.)

CHawks4L

Reaction score
Unfortunately if we signed him, that would mean Kam gets traded. I think this is a Seahawk initiative trying to gain leverage with Kam.

Exittium

Reaction score
CHawks4L":1r8hivk5 said:
Unfortunately if we signed him, that would mean Kam gets traded. I think this is a Seahawk initiative trying to gain leverage with Kam.
Why and How? lol This honestly is a head scratching comment. He's under contract for the next 3 yrs... regardless if he shows up or not.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
This is why this NEEDS to happen.

Without talking about the obvious need at offensive line, listen up.

This move will undoubtedly cost us Kearse. Not being from Seattle I think I can see things a little less cloudy.

Kearse. A home grown Seahawks who mad THE most clutch catches for this team. NFC championship game 2014 going for it on 4th down to take the lead that we never relignished and this year's Superbowl which should, but won't be, talked about for decades.

He's done all this and yet his roster spot holds back too much talent. With Tyler Lockett obviously making the team, we need to feed Chris Matthews the ball more and Ricardo Lockette for special teams.

How quickly we forget that Lockette almost broke the record for punt return yards against only 2 years ago(you know, the year we won the Superbowl). It doesn't make sense to take steps forward on one side of special teams and subtract on the other. That's called a wash.

People like to talk about Chris Matthews not getting enough speration, but this is yet another area where having Jimmy Graham helps this team.

Russell Wilson is going to learn alot about throwing to a big man who you have the confidence to catch the ball by throwing the ball to JimmY Graham. I've seen a few contested catches Matthews has made in the 2 games we've seen him in. Once Russell gains THAT confidence he's going to be the ultimate weapon.

You can't take steps back only steps forward to be a back to back and further. I expect big things from this team. This, by far, is the BEST team Pete Carroll has put together. Hands down. Say what you want but like I always say send this to your archives, screen shot it....bc I want you to remember my words when we break more records and completely dominate this league

*drops mic*

CHawks4L

Reaction score
They discussed the possibility of trading Kam on KJR this evening. Possible because of the 3-yr control ideal for a team with cap space to renegotiate. We trade Kam for a high pick, free the space to sign Mathis and have a very high pick from Kam.

I'm not saying I'd prefer this over just having Kam, but it is plausible.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jkitsune":mzmpzr34 said:
hawknation2015":mzmpzr34 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/634511023270178816[/tweet]

Interesting . . . we don't have anything close to the kind of cap space he is likely looking for. But maybe a one-year "prove it" deal for close to the veteran minimum to win a Super Bowl and stick it to Chip Kelly, parlaying it into a long-term deal somewhere else? Seems unlikely he would turn down more money elsewhere at his age and recent injury history.

Prove what? Evan Mathis is an excellent player, and although the Hawks are a great team, players aren't in the habit of taking far below market value (let alone minimum wage) just to have a one-year chance to win a Super Bowl.

Yup. It doesn't make a lick of sense. But I was enjoying the rumor for a moment.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2orzr12w said:
He wants to get paid but no one will pay him. 1-year prove it deal can go a long way to getting him paid by someone in 2016.

How does interest from other teams equate to nobody willing to pay him? You don't know that yet....and FAT CHANCE.