Jalen Carter scheduled to visit with the Hawks this week

IndyHawk

Reaction score
In 38 games at Georgia, he posted 44 solo tackles and 6 sacks.

Now, if we're just looking at stats, those numbers seem quite underwhelming, especially when you compare them to Aaron Donald's college stats. He played 51 games at Pitt and posted 29.5 sacks and 115 solo tackles.

So, what is it about Jalen Carter's game that has him ranked so high? Does he have some raw, untapped potential that didn't quite translate to on the field production? Or is this just a very weak interior D line draft?
If the answer is the later, then I firmly believe the Seahawks should trade down. If the option is the former, then they should take a chance on him.
I keep thinking the same thing..
Who on D put up meh numbers before being pro to great numbers after?
I cannot think of one.
To me if he had Donalds numbers in college I'd be all in!

warden

Reaction score
It's not so much a matter of overlooking the red flags as it is knowing that P&J will leave no stone unturned in evaluating his every breath from time of inception/conception until today. They will know more about the fat guy than he knows about himself. They aren't just reading chat forums for their information, I'm sure they have talked to everyone who has ever had a conversation with him, everyone he has ever played with or against, and every coach he has come in contact with. Knowing that there are no sure things in life, I have complete faith in their decision. I will welcome whomever they pick, although I'm still wanting a defensive star before a QB.
if he were to arrive in the NW, he won't be the big man on campus anymore, he will be dealing with many older and wiser veterans who are looking to going to the playoffs/SB, and will not coddle Jr. They will make a man out of him or he will be down the road. My guess is he will become a team player and a integral part of a championship team.
If and when he matures and plays how we're hoping and expecting, he will be a force to be reckoned with, the missing length.
Someone gets it

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
i could see Carter being depressed going into his pro day but if that was the case he should have just said no to the pro day but all that doesn’t explain his lack of conditioning during the season especially when he was only playing 30 plays a game and still taking plays off. Being a high draft pick he will be expected to start and play most if not all of the game

if I was the GM I need a player who is dedicated to football and wants to be the best I don’t see that with Carter my guess he is used to being the best player on the field and feels he can just get by, Georgia enabled him

if JS drafts him I will accept the decision and hope for the best
The article in The Athletic today about Carter and Seahawks addresses the conditioning issue. The Seahawks coaches would have to come out of that interview confident that Carter will be moving to Seattle right after the draft and working 100% getting mentally/physically ready to play.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The article in The Athletic today about Carter and Seahawks addresses the conditioning issue. The Seahawks coaches would have to come out of that interview confident that Carter will be moving to Seattle right after the draft and working 100% getting mentally/physically ready to play.
I don’t have a subscription to The Athletic, what does it say?

toffee

Reaction score
In 2022, Carter, Kancey, and Bresee played against Tenn. Looked like Carter is more gifted than Kancey, that said, Tenn probably keyed in more on Kancey as he might be the only star on Pitt's front 7, Georgia had more stars on defense.
2022 Tenn2022
PFFTackles
(ttl/solo)
SacksTFLGame playedPPFSnapsSacksHitsHurriesBatted
Carter92.34/3121292.339235243
Kancey81.34/10.51.51191.845489300
Bresee71.92/2111073.533034172

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Good luck.
You can pick a player that has any other red flag and succeed.

- Assault/Battery
- Theft
- Drug use
- DV allegations
- Injury/Physical issues
- Small school/limited competition or film
- Issues getting along with teammates or being a locker room cancer

We've seen so many drafts where guys fall because of the above and end up being stars.

But I've never seen guys with work ethic issues work out. Ever. It must have happened - but work ethic issues generally result in someone that turns into a bust, or flames out.
Maybe the issues with Carter are survivor guilt related. Let's hope so. But the problem is they said that about Carter before the accident.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
What did the article say? This could be just more pre draft verbal diarrhea for online clicks I take everything I hear in the sports media this time of year with a grain of salt

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
But I've never seen guys with work ethic issues work out. Ever. It must have happened - but work ethic issues generally result in someone that turns into a bust, or flames out.
Maybe the issues with Carter are survivor guilt related. Let's hope so. But the problem is they said that about Carter before the accident.

Does the name Cortez Kennedy ring a bell? He had conditioning issues he came to the U after 2 years at Northwest Mississippi Community College, and was even struggled with his weight first few years in the NFL.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
When Kennedy left the U, he did not have work ethic issues. He did have issues controlling weight and some conditioning issues.
My concern is that the whispering around Carter was around his work ethic, not his inability to control his weight or conditioning. We will see, but I'm hoping this is smoke.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Does the name Cortez Kennedy ring a bell? He had conditioning issues he came to the U after 2 years at Northwest Mississippi Community College, and was even struggled with his weight first few years in the NFL.
So hmm, are you saying that Carter is Kennedy 2.0?
MAYBE Carter get's inspired, works his ass off, and turns out to be a Super Star, or maybe he doesn't... Are you willing to bet against some Really TRY HARDER DT in this Draft that he does?
IF Pete & John have done their due diligence & Drafts Carter, I will accept, believe and get pumped, but IF they pass on taking him @ #5, then I will be just as pumped wit whoever they do take with that pick.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
So hmm, are you saying that Carter is Kennedy 2.0?
MAYBE Carter get's inspired, works his ass off, and turns out to be a Super Star, or maybe he doesn't... Are you willing to bet against some Really TRY HARDER DT in this Draft that he does?
IF Pete & John have done their due diligence & Drafts Carter, I will accept, believe and get pumped, but IF they pass on taking him @ #5, then I will be just as pumped wit whoever they do take with that pick.
One can hope. But no, that's not what I'm saying. I was just replying to someone who said they have never seen someone with work ethic issues turn it around.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
What did the article say? This could be just more pre draft verbal diarrhea for online clicks I take everything I hear in the sports media this time of year with a grain of salt

The theme of the article was that Carter would be the perfect interior lineman to team up with Dre’Mont Jones. You could then add Nolan Smith at edge with the #20 pick. Playing a 3-4 base defense, he makes more sense than all these 270-280 lb. guys (Wilson, Van Ness, Murphy, etc.), because he can get to the QB faster. His 10 yard split is phenomenal.

The other advantage with Smith is that he and Carter are best friends. They could train together, and generally support each other through their rookie year. Plus, they have experience working together on the Georgia line.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The theme of the article was that Carter would be the perfect interior lineman to team up with Dre’Mont Jones. You could then add Nolan Smith at edge with the #20 pick. Playing a 3-4 base defense, he makes more sense than all these 270-280 lb. guys (Wilson, Van Ness, Murphy, etc.), because he can get to the QB faster. His 10 yard split is phenomenal.

The other advantage with Smith is that he and Carter are best friends. They could train together, and generally support each other through their rookie year. Plus, they have experience working together on the Georgia line.

The last thing Jalen Carter needs is another Georgia player around Him