Jalen Carter scheduled to visit with the Hawks this week

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Yep, they are bringing him in to get more info. It means they have interest (they also clearly have interest in the QB's as well by the way). I personally think spending a top 5 pick on a guy that comes off as both lazy and a poor decision maker is a really really bad idea.
But this clearly shows they have interest. I think all the deep fake conspiracy theories are silly. They have a top 5 pick and they want all the info they can get on the options they have available.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score

bsuhawk

Reaction score
The possibility that would have me on the edge of seat the most on draft night is following the #4 pick if both Richardson and Carter are still on the board.
This is what I'm hoping for! It would make for great TV.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
If I were meeting with Jalen Carter I would ask him, if drafted, would he be willing to relocate to Seattle early to start working out with the Seahawks staff to get him in shape for training camp. Does the NFL have rules against teams doing something like this?

pmedic920

Reaction score
If I were meeting with Jalen Carter I would ask him, if drafted, would he be willing to relocate to Seattle early to start working out with the Seahawks staff to get him in shape for training camp. Does the NFL have rules against teams doing something like this?
Sounds like “organized training activities”

I’m pretty sure there are rules, and way’s around them.

YMMV

CanHawksFan

Reaction score
Just curious, have there been any pictures with any other player visits so far, or has that just been a team pro day thing? Have there been any other individual player visits amongst the draft prospects?

I'm basically wondering if we're going to see anything come out of this, or it'll just end up being second-hand reporting from journalists who spoke to the team after the visit.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Just curious, have there been any pictures with any other player visits so far, or has that just been a team pro day thing? Have there been any other individual player visits amongst the draft prospects?

I'm basically wondering if we're going to see anything come out of this, or it'll just end up being second-hand reporting from journalists who spoke to the team after the visit.
To my knowledge, the only selfies the Hawks staff have taken with players were strictly QB's and no other positional player, and it makes me feel like they're not going to take a QB at all.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
If we do draft him, I'll be interested to hear what they talked about in this meeting. Was losing friends during a night of fun a wake up call? Did he show up at 230 or 250#? Will he be a 1, 2, 3, or 4-down lineman?

Even if he's out of shape, non-committal, and immature; is it worth the #5 pick if he can toss an opposing center out of the way and blow up 3rd downs?

I'm good with him either way. Even if he busts, the "what he could become" is worth it to me.

toffee

Reaction score
Carter has a two parents family with a very supportive mom that he is very close to. Looked like Carter may have been living a sheltered life and just a goofy kid lacking in determination. So far he has been able to cruise purely on his gift, which may not be enough in NFL. The moment will come after his big rookie's contract, will money motivate him? or will Money destroy him, destroy that undersized motivation?

starts at 1:18

hoxrox

Reaction score
Character issues aside, can Seattle even afford to pick at 5?

Cap experts, please weigh in.

Fade

Reaction score
Character issues aside, can Seattle even afford to pick at 5?

View attachment 58665

Cap experts, please weigh in.

View attachment 58667
The Salary Cap is purely accounting. You can create space at any given time.

There are restructures, voidable years, cutting vets who get replaced by cheaper rookies, trades, straight paycuts, etc.

When it comes to money and spending in the NFL it is more about how aggressive the owner is in terms of Cash over Cap.

The Seahawks since Paul Allen has fallen ill operate like they are small market. It could be that is just how Pete & John want to operate, or it could be Jodi doesn't want to put a lot of money into escrow, choosing to stay in the black. Regardless, the Seahawks will do a few of those things listed above when the time comes (The Seahawks currently sit at $5.9M in space via ovethecap.)

There are about 10 vets making more money than the 10 rookies that will replace them (Drafted and Undrafted). That will free up some cap space.

Though, they will have to do a move such as a trade Noah Fant, cut Dissley, etc. As the top 5 pick will make more money than most of the veterans on the team. So something will have to be done for that contract, and the other 1st rounder.

Only the top 51 contracts count against the salary cap the off-season. So any rookie on the roster that is below that 51 line, (which is most of them) won't count against the cap until the season starts. Which by that point they will have jettisoned vets to make room for them saving even more cap space.

Chevy

Reaction score
Fake news...Big Carter really came to Seattle for Dicks hamburgers!

Dicks ext 1

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
This is a job interview. They already know what he can do on a football field. The tape is WAY more important than his poor performance at combine/pro day where he was still mentally/physically affected by being involved in a drunken drag race with two people dead. If the interview is convincing, they will not worry about his fixable issues since January.

He has two things in his favor for this interview. First, he has a very experienced agent who has been through this with other "risky"
players he has successfully represented. Second, Carter has interviewed with other teams already, so they will be very prepared for the questions.

Anyway, if you don't want Carter, my trade offer is still on to trade down to #9. The Bears will probably take him. And if the Bears go for Johnson, the Eagles will take him. For me, it doesn't matter unless he goes to the Lions.
i could see Carter being depressed going into his pro day but if that was the case he should have just said no to the pro day but all that doesn’t explain his lack of conditioning during the season especially when he was only playing 30 plays a game and still taking plays off. Being a high draft pick he will be expected to start and play most if not all of the game

if I was the GM I need a player who is dedicated to football and wants to be the best I don’t see that with Carter my guess he is used to being the best player on the field and feels he can just get by, Georgia enabled him

if JS drafts him I will accept the decision and hope for the best

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Yes. otas are strictly voluntary per the cba.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
i could see Carter being depressed going into his pro day but if that was the case he should have just said no to the pro day but all that doesn’t explain his lack of conditioning during the season especially when he was only playing 30 plays a game and still taking plays off. Being a high draft pick he will be expected to start and play most if not all of the game

if I was the GM I need a player who is dedicated to football and wants to be the best I don’t see that with Carter my guess he is used to being the best player on the field and feels he can just get by, Georgia enabled him

if JS drafts him I will accept the decision and hope for the best
IMO, Carter is a YOUNG/RAW talent that will immediately help the Seahawks defense.
Racing cars is not out of the ordinary for young men, we've all been there.
I'd be surprised if Jalen will be asked to do more than 30 plays a game in his rookie year.
Having Wagner breathing down his back will eliminate the thought of being the best player on the field.
There is No coach or team mate that will let him just get by, this is the NFL, money is at stake! Whole different outlook to the game he has played the last year.
I have all the confidence in the coaching staff to work and succeed in making this young man a very good talent!

hoxrox

Reaction score
IMO, Carter is a YOUNG/RAW talent that will immediately help the Seahawks defense.
Racing cars is not out of the ordinary for young men, we've all been there.
I'd be surprised if Jalen will be asked to do more than 30 plays a game in his rookie year.
Having Wagner breathing down his back will eliminate the thought of being the best player on the field.
There is No coach or team mate that will let him just get by, this is the NFL, money is at stake! Whole different outlook to the game he has played the last year.
I have all the confidence in the coaching staff to work and succeed in making this young man a very good talent!
Racing cars or bad decision making is like 3rd or 4th on the list of red flags. We all make bad decisions.

Lack of motivation and consistently being out of shape (not just on his pro day) is probably the top 2 red flags. We don't need another "healthy scratch" or a guy that just doesn't get it until year 3.

Yes money is at stake, but a 5th overall pick has $34 million guaranteed. The guy may decide he wants to go to Cabo and party instead of dedicating himself to football.

The interview yesterday, Pete will have determined if he is "All In" or not.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Racing cars or bad decision making is like 3rd or 4th on the list of red flags. We all make bad decisions.

Lack of motivation and consistently being out of shape (not just on his pro day) is probably the top 2 red flags. We don't need another "healthy scratch" or a guy that just doesn't get it until year 3.

Yes money is at stake, but a 5th overall pick has $34 million guaranteed. The guy may decide he wants to go to Cabo and party instead of dedicating himself to football.

The interview yesterday, Pete will have determined if he is "All In" or not.
If he is a complete IDIOT-pass. I will agree!

Latest posts