Hawks Scheduled to Host Evan Mathis this Week

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seafan":19tgpi8e said:
Jared Allen part 2.

Unbridled optimism! :mrgreen: Jared wasn't looking to join a contender per say. His first priority was to be and every-down DE, so being $$the man$$ was tops with him.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1ghh7tpx said:
Seafan":1ghh7tpx said:
Jared Allen part 2.

Unbridled optimism! :mrgreen: Jared wasn't looking to join a contender per say. His first priority was to be and every-down DE, so being $$the man$$ was tops with him.

That said, I doubt he comes here. I'm fairly sure offers from other teams like Miami will be too good to turn down.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
CHawks4L":xmgdydbq said:
Unfortunately if we signed him, that would mean Kam gets traded. I think this is a Seahawk initiative trying to gain leverage with Kam.

Wait, you think someone reporting that a player may or may not visit Seattle is the Seahawks trying to gain leverage with Kam?

Howzat work?

keatonisballin

Reaction score
This seems like a waste of time. What we need is a RT. We really don't have any serviceable LGs on the roster? Come on. We're not signing a 33 year old guard.

Ruminator

Reaction score
CHawks4L":2mdjtto2 said:
They discussed the possibility of trading Kam on KJR this evening. Possible because of the 3-yr control ideal for a team with cap space to renegotiate. We trade Kam for a high pick, free the space to sign Mathis and have a very high pick from Kam.

I'm not saying I'd prefer this over just having Kam, but it is plausible.

Wow -- the idea of trading Kam for anything, even a couple of first-round picks*, is tough to get used to. But because the wobbly OL needs serious help fast, I would almost be OK with it.

* crazy example only, ease up on the quote button

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Unless Mathis gets blown away with an offer today it's in his best interest to wait until Seattle's game tonight before agreeing to terms with anyone: if Seattle's O-Line has another disastrous performance, any offer they end up making to Mathis tomorrow will only increase.

In a perfect world I would love having Evan Mathis here. In the real world I don't want to have to cut another player on this roster to make room for a one-year stop gap left guard. Come on Gilliam, come on Britt, PLEASE have a good game tonight!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
CHawks4L":1cevln54 said:
Unfortunately if we signed him, that would mean Kam gets traded. I think this is a Seahawk initiative trying to gain leverage with Kam.

Trading Kam would not benefit us very much. After dead money on the remaining signing bonus, it's only be a 3m boost this year and next.

In addition, there really isn't a Chancellor mirror on our team. So the secondary will take a significant step backwards.

If it's a zero sum cap game, then it's Mebane for Mathis. Mebane has virtually no dead money. And we have guys that can fill his role, albeit to a lesser degree. From a cap relief (~5m) and replacement standpoint -- it's Mebane.

It'll be that way pretty much until the roster is set. Mebane's contract is the only attractive contract to part with. Both value and lack of dead money wise. Problem is, he's worth that contract. So you'd have to get a LOT more value when parting with him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2voocixm said:
CHawks4L":2voocixm said:

Trading Kam would not benefit us very much. After dead money on the remaining signing bonus, it's only be a 3m boost this year and next.
Actually, it's $2.65M this year, $4.1M next year and $7.125M in 2017.

Source... http://overthecap.com/player/kam-chancellor/847

And try to find a trading partner for Kam that is willing to re-structure his current contract to add new money that will make Kam happy.

I don't see that happening.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
All reports I've read said Mathis is holding out for 4-5M a year, which is why he hasn't signed with anyone yet.

So not sure why he's coming here unless he's changed his stance, we can't afford to pay anyone 4-5M right now.

getnasty

Reaction score
Is there a cut that we could make to open up extra cap for this dude? Mebane maybe?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":2qygz1cj said:
CHawks4L":2qygz1cj said:

Wait, you think someone reporting that a player may or may not visit Seattle is the Seahawks trying to gain leverage with Kam?

Howzat work?

Might not make a whole lot of sense, but I had a similar thought (not trading Kam tho)

Lets assume Seattle did reach out to Mathis. If so, you could see it as an message to Kam (intentional or not) that even with little cap space, they are open to the possibility of finding the money somehow to spend on a left guard before giving Kam a raise. Essentially telling Kam they could find a way to pay him more, they just aren't going to.

getnasty

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":ihv39na0 said:
getnasty":ihv39na0 said:
Is there a cut that we could make to open up extra cap for this dude? Mebane maybe?

Mathis for Mebane? No thank you.

I used to hold Mebane in high regard but after the run we went on last year without him i'm not sure he's as valuable as some people think he is here. Of course we don't have Kevin Williams this year though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
getnasty":2ss5gslm said:
FlyHawksFly":2ss5gslm said:
getnasty":2ss5gslm said:

Mathis for Mebane? No thank you.

I used to hold Mebane in high regard but after the run we went on last year without him i'm not sure he's as valuable as some people think he is here. Of course we don't have Kevin Williams this year though.

Mebane is extremely valuable especially where the run defense is concerned. When Mebane went out, KC ran all over the Seahawks. Seahawk run defense took a hit without Mebane in there. Kevin Williams and Tony McDaniel helped as the season progressed but both of those guys are no longer with the team.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Mathis would be extremely valuable as it would allow for us to move Britt back to RT and use Gilliam RT/TE as la Z.Miller for extra protection on the right edge.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I think John should extend Mebane AND Kam (they get more up-front money and we save cap), under the guise of making room to get Mathis. It's a win for everybody.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11vg4y0r said:
All reports I've read said Mathis is holding out for 4-5M a year, which is why he hasn't signed with anyone yet.

So not sure why he's coming here unless he's changed his stance, we can't afford to pay anyone 4-5M right now.

If we gave him a two-year deal with the bulk of the money in the form of a signing bonus, we could give him $5 million up front while spreading the cap hit over two seasons instead of one. We'd still have to make some sort of roster move or two and it would hurt our cap space next year, but we could make it work. Bottom line is if the team decides they need Mathis, they can find a way to make it work. I just hope our revamped O-Line does well enough tonight that signing Mathis isn't a necessity.

seahawks08

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1uuhdgtc said:
Why get rid of Mebane? It seems like he is so underrated on this board. We need Mebane especially after getting rid of Tony McDaniel.

I agree totally, we need Mebane, we need a capable run stuffer. There is nobody that can replace him in the current roster.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":23i6g988 said:
I just hope our revamped O-Line does well enough tonight that signing Mathis isn't a necessity.

Isn't the fact that Mathis is visiting tell us that's not happening right now?

IMO this is the kind of patchwork line that probably will eventually gel, but it might take 6-8 games.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You can probably sign Mathis and get away with not cutting a player. But you would have to re-do someone's deal and move some of the cap consequences to later years. That's generally something you want to avoid when you're trying to maintain a championship caliber squad with an expensive QB, but it can be done and it probably should be if the OL doesn't show signs of life pretty quickly.

Latest posts