Hawks should impose a deadline w/ Kam

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3p37tsbo said:
mrt144":3p37tsbo said:
gowazzu02":3p37tsbo said:
IF Seattle gives in... you know what happens next off season? Sherman and ET are holding out with 3 years left. Mike Bennett is holding out with 2 years left etc. etc. etc.

You don't think it's possible Bennett will hold out regardless?
You don't think ET and Sherman will try to vy for an extension with 2 years left regardless of Kam?

This is like ascribing the sun rise to the rooster's crow not the rotation of the earth.

Bennett could have held out, after voicing displeasure with his contract for months, but didn't.

Kam's tactic was interesting in that he was not public about wanting a new contract. I wonder how long the team knew and whether they would have drafted some kind of insurance (like they did with Clark after Bennett indicated that he might hold out) or perhaps re-signed Jeron Johnson.

He has left us in a terrible position at strong safety, having to rely on a bunch of young undrafted players.

And that's why he has leverage. And round and round we go. :lol:

I do believe that players are going to hold out and do their thing irrespective of what one player does. It might signal to other people what is and isn't possible or get an idea about the front office but I'm sure that players will do the whole rigamarole absent that signaling anyway.

Polaris

Reaction score
mrt144":25bpm2gg said:
hawknation2015":25bpm2gg said:
mrt144":25bpm2gg said:
gowazzu02":25bpm2gg said:
IF Seattle gives in... you know what happens next off season? Sherman and ET are holding out with 3 years left. Mike Bennett is holding out with 2 years left etc. etc. etc.

You don't think it's possible Bennett will hold out regardless?
You don't think ET and Sherman will try to vy for an extension with 2 years left regardless of Kam?

This is like ascribing the sun rise to the rooster's crow not the rotation of the earth.

Bennett could have held out, after voicing displeasure with his contract for months, but didn't.

Kam's tactic was interesting in that he was not public about wanting a new contract. I wonder how long the team knew and whether they would have drafted some kind of insurance (like they did with Clark after Bennett indicated that he might hold out) or perhaps re-signed Jeron Johnson.

He has left us in a terrible position at strong safety, having to rely on a bunch of young undrafted players.

And that's why he has leverage. And round and round we go. :lol:

This suggests that Kam had planned to holdout for a very long time but kept it an absolute secret until the very last minute with malice aforethought in order to PREVENT the 'hawks from taking steps to address this sooner (i.e. finding more help at strong safety). I hope this dark speculation is inaccurate because if it is, I'm not sure I want Kam back.

mrt144

Reaction score
Polaris":1ieuni44 said:
This suggests that Kam had planned to holdout for a very long time but kept it an absolute secret until the very last minute with malice aforethought in order to PREVENT the 'hawks from taking steps to address this sooner (i.e. finding more help at strong safety). I hope this dark speculation is inaccurate because if it is, I'm not sure I want Kam back.

Because he's as shrewd off the field as he is on? :stirthepot:

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Polaris":13l08509 said:

Are you really naive enough to think this wasn't the case all along? It's a smart play from the "it's just business" perspective. Can't fault him for playing his cards this way, the organization just needs to sack up and counter it with the tools they have available.

Exittium

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":g6atdkuy said:
Polaris":g6atdkuy said:

Are you really naive enough to think this wasn't the case all along? It's a smart play from the "it's just business" perspective. Can't fault him for playing his cards this way, the organization just needs to sack up and counter it with the tools they have available.

Maybe if in fact he did think this out as long as some believe, he felt that would give him the leverage he needed going into it. Knowing there wouldn't be something to really step in for him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Exittium":22amvbem said:
CodeWarrior":22amvbem said:
Polaris":22amvbem said:

Maybe if in fact he did think this out as long as some believe, he felt that would give him the leverage he needed going into it. Knowing there wouldn't be something to really step in for him.

I know if we had Jeron Johnson I would be feeling much more comfortable about Week One. JJ was an excellent backup for us and didn't sign for very much (only $350,000 guaranteed, $1.2 million this year).

Polaris

Reaction score
mrt144":35udojzz said:
Polaris":35udojzz said:

I would call it dishonest and capricious not to mention borderline disloyal to his team-mates. I found it VERY interesting that Kam's people came out swinging hard against any such suggestion this morning (don't you DARE talk about his character). When agents start talking like that, I start questioning the principle's character.....

Exittium

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1vdsbq4b said:
Exittium":1vdsbq4b said:
CodeWarrior":1vdsbq4b said:
Polaris":1vdsbq4b said:

I know if we had Jeron Johnson I would be feeling much more comfortable about Week One. JJ was an excellent backup for us and didn't sign for very much (only $350,000 guaranteed, $1.2 million this year).

Agreed, and if was something Kam did do to try and help or have some sort of leverage .. I gotta give him props smart thinking but just classless and disloyal.

And if for kam its about money, then it shows where his loyalties for me as a fan really are. Shows me he really doesn't care about the "LoB" , his teammates, or fans. Hell him and earl haven't spoken in weeks and even earl is getting tired of it. Sherman.. well I like him and really he just runs his mouth (which i dont mind) but it gets him in the spot light and a a chance to promote whatever.

Rocket

Reaction score
Unless a player has a BS in Economics, Accounting, Investment, or Law, they hire people, typically called "agents" who know this crap and advise them and negotiate on their behalf. The player then typically sits back and allows the agent to do their thing. This "agent" makes me wonder how hard it really is to get into the business, cuz there are some true bozos in the NFL agent pool, and some of them are peeing in it..

Exittium

Reaction score
Rocket":1c6j21p9 said:
Unless a player has a BS in Economics, Accounting, Investment, or Law, they hire people, typically called "agents" who know this crap and advise them and negotiate on their behalf. The player then typically sits back and allows the agent to do their thing. This "agent" makes me wonder how hard it really is to get into the business, cuz there are some true bozos in the NFL agent bidness.

Great point rocket :th2thumbs:

Time for a career change lol

mrt144

Reaction score
Polaris":2r6anf4c said:
mrt144":2r6anf4c said:
Polaris":2r6anf4c said:

I would call it dishonest and capricious not to mention borderline disloyal to his team-mates. I found it VERY interesting that Kam's people came out swinging hard against any such suggestion this morning (don't you DARE talk about his character). When agents start talking like that, I start questioning the principle's character.....

When Kam is drunk driving around town and hitting women, then I'll start to think about his character.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3cuiesbw said:
gowazzu02":3cuiesbw said:

Can you prove that or are you guessing answer your guessing . Let's worry about next year next year unless your more concerned about making a point than winning football games.

No im concerned with maintaining an excellent team for years to come. And one quick way to ruin that is to go against plan and recontract guys with 3 years left on their deal.

The examples I gave do I have proof of course not,,,, but Sherman is what the 4th or 5th highest paid corner right now? You dont think if he sees kam get rewarded for holding out, he'll do the same thing to demand he's the highest paid again?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Polaris":ckfspipa said:
mrt144":ckfspipa said:
Polaris":ckfspipa said:

Not to be a stickler, but the plan you speculated about would actually be the opposite of capricious :)

:stirthepot: :stirthepot:

mrt144

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3hub1kup said:
Polaris":3hub1kup said:
mrt144":3hub1kup said:
Polaris":3hub1kup said:

Not to be a stickler, but the plan you speculated about would actually be the opposite of capricious :)

:thirishdrinkers: Wordy rapping hood up in this.

mrt144

Reaction score
gowazzu02":v5czcpg0 said:
Northwest Seahawk":v5czcpg0 said:
gowazzu02":v5czcpg0 said:

Can you prove that or are you guessing answer your guessing . Let's worry about next year next year unless your more concerned about making a point than winning football games.

No im concerned with maintaining an excellent team for years to come. And one quick way to ruin that is to go against plan and recontract guys with 3 years left on their deal.

The examples I gave do I have proof of course not,,,, but Sherman is what the 4th or 5th highest paid corner right now? You dont think if he sees kam get rewarded for holding out, he'll do the same thing to demand he's the highest paid again?

Ya don't think that's coming regardless of the timeline on which it happens?

Polaris

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":sm1x4llm said:
Polaris":sm1x4llm said:
mrt144":sm1x4llm said:
Polaris":sm1x4llm said:

I. DON'T. CARE.

:x :x

byau

Reaction score
StoneCold":1wpsi4dq said:
byau":1wpsi4dq said:
CalgaryHawk":1wpsi4dq said:
If you were the Hawks GM, how many regular season games does Kam have to hold out for before you start shopping him around the league? 4 games? Or would you just let him continue to sit out even if he ends up missing the entire season in the hope that he eventually returns and to make a point that your team will stand firm in its contact position.

Unless some team offers a late 1st or early 2nd round pick for Kam, I'd let him continue to hold out without trying to trade him.

If I were the Hawks GM, I would do nothing. No trade. No contract restructure. Whatever you do, you are setting a precedent of "dealing with a terrorist" and then the rest of the "terrorists" will come out of the woodwork.

I would tell Kam to keep sitting out, we will do a "next man up". Yes, I know there is no equivalent to Kam, but there is a "next man" and you got to do the best with what you got.

I don't know if I would ultimately collect on the fines, definitely holding back the game checks once the season starts will be plenty.

Terrorist? Really? Byau, you are usually more level headed. I would tell Kam I love him, but I can't restructure. I hope you come back and play. No hard feelings. Hugs all around.

LOL... usually I am. Rough week this week let me tell you my mind is a big frantic mess of stuff right now.

And to clarify the above, I'm actually not calling Kam a terrorist.

I do think the parallel works though in that it's a similar concept, just different magnitudes if you think about it.

On all those tv shows and movies the reason you aren't supposed to negotiate with terrorists is because then everyone comes out of the wood works and holds you hostage. So to me the lateral thinking analogy works. The front office has a system of negotiation to handle things. When someone tries to strongarm them, the front office has to carefully consider how to go about working with that someone.

Whatever the Seahawks do here, they are setting precedent with how things like this will be handled in the future. It's not just about working with Kam, it is about how you handle things in the future.

byau

Reaction score
Basis4day":5rzxfdq5 said:
So, in this thread we now have analogies to public executions and terrorism due to a business negotiation.

Because Football is WAR!! :thfight7:

[youtube]aIkqNiBASfI[/youtube]

http://lybio.net/tag/george-carlin-base ... scription/

"In Football, the object is for the quarterback, otherwise known as the field general. To be on target with his aerial assault riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz even if he has to use the shotgun.

With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing his aerial assault with a sustained ground attack, which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemies’ defensive line." - George Carlin

:) :) :) :) :)

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
This is getting ridicules with Kam , yes give a deadline , I guess he does not mind paying his $30,000 a day for not showing up to camp .

Crazy.