Hawks should impose a deadline w/ Kam

andyh64000

Reaction score
I am just glad that nobody on this thread works in the Seahawks front office.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jake206":2nfbwqrx said:
Hawks will cave before the end of pre-season. I think we'll be trading WR (Kearse or DBJ) to make up the money difference.

:lol:

Kam isn't getting one extra penny this year. And if he doesn't like it, he's going to lose a lot more than said penny

cacksman

Reaction score
The argument for players holding out is that teams will cut a player if they're not performing, but that holds no water in this instance. If a team signs a player to a contract with large guarantees, they're on the hook for those guarantees no matter how that player performs.

Kam and his agent signed a very bad deal in hindsight, but he made his bed. Seattle signed Percy for a contract with large guarantees, and even after trading him, they're still on the hook for the rest of his guaranteed money. That was a bad deal for Seattle in hindsight, but they are having to pay for it now. Same with Kam.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jake206":1h4en8fz said:
Decimation":1h4en8fz said:
Rocket":1h4en8fz said:
jake206":1h4en8fz said:
Hawks will cave before the end of pre-season. I think we'll be trading WR (Kearse or DBJ) to make up the money difference.
That would be the absolute wrong thing to do - sets a BAD precedent. They already messed up with the Beast, it's a bad idea to keep hammering on the wrong nail.
This. If we give Kam any extra money, then players like Mike B will want more money too. We should ABSOLUTELY not cave to Kam's needs. He has a three year contract already in place and needs to be a man of his word and come back to the team.

His brothers need him. Heck, the whole team needs him. Whatever happened to "Love our Brothers" Kam..

As much as I'd like to sing Kumbaya, NFL is also a business. Many of the players have attested to this fact. If a team doesn't need you, they'll cut you. It maybe a bad precedent to cave, but its that or burn a year without Kam. I fully believe Kam will hold out all year. Guy has too much pride. He's not the type to come to the table with tail between his legs.
He won't hold out the entire year. At worst, he'd report week 10. He may be prideful, but no one is that stupid. He needs to accrue this year.

And if he comes back week 10 and isn't the normal Kam (within reason, it will take time to get back into football shape) then teams will see that as an extreme lack of desire and good luck getting more money from anyone.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
andyh64000":2cg2ccjx said:
Why is that? Half the people say pay him and the other half say don't.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
jake206":lqel0nki said:

We are not trading our best and most proven WR (Baldwin). Never going to happen.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2y2xg3gb said:
jake206":2y2xg3gb said:

We are not trading our best and most proven WR (Baldwin). Never going to happen.
The Baldwin that is probably the 3rd best WR on any other team?

SeaChase

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1c8wxyir said:
jake206":1c8wxyir said:

We did trade Percy...

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3ikn3omr said:
FlyingGreg":3ikn3omr said:
jake206":3ikn3omr said:

What does that have to do with anything? Other than not being true

m0ng0

Reaction score
I wish there was a way the Seahawks could say if you don't show up prior to week 1 then you will NOT be back at all this year and btw here is a tally of all the fines you racked up payable today! Enjoy watching the superbowl from your state of the art entertainment room your signing bonus probably paid for and we can talk again in the off season.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks need to treat him as if he has retired. They need to move on.

They shouldn't trade him. He shouldn't collect another dime from the NFL and instead he'll have to pony up money to the Hawks. How will Alvin Keels explain that to Kam? If he can't live without an improved contract how will he ever make it on nothing?

The Hawks can also put him on a list where he can't report and earn an accrued season.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
The first year of his contract he was the highest paid strong safety, but performed as the fifth best. Did the hawks tell him to give the money back and take 5th best money? And if they did, what would have been the reaction. Shoe is on the other foot now. Get on the field Kam, stop being a baby. And I just want to add, he was my favorite player last season. When he jumped over that line TWICE I bought another jersey the next day. Guy is a monster, but needs to be a man as well.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
byau":x2l3qv8m said:
CalgaryHawk":x2l3qv8m said:
If you were the Hawks GM, how many regular season games does Kam have to hold out for before you start shopping him around the league? 4 games? Or would you just let him continue to sit out even if he ends up missing the entire season in the hope that he eventually returns and to make a point that your team will stand firm in its contact position.

Unless some team offers a late 1st or early 2nd round pick for Kam, I'd let him continue to hold out without trying to trade him.

If I were the Hawks GM, I would do nothing. No trade. No contract restructure. Whatever you do, you are setting a precedent of "dealing with a terrorist" and then the rest of the "terrorists" will come out of the woodwork.

I would tell Kam to keep sitting out, we will do a "next man up". Yes, I know there is no equivalent to Kam, but there is a "next man" and you got to do the best with what you got.

I don't know if I would ultimately collect on the fines, definitely holding back the game checks once the season starts will be plenty.
Wow, real poor analogy there. A football player holding out is not in the same universe as a terrorist.

two dog

Reaction score
Deadline ? No. To do that would be giving up on your GM's ability
to broker a deal amenable to the Seahawks and still get Kam into camp.

It would also make the relationship more adversarial which is certainly
not needed at this point.

Or, to put it another way, deadline ? No, No, and No....

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Seafan":11gxvknk said:
The Hawks can also put him on a list where he can't report and earn an accrued season.
Really? I did not know that. It's always been Week 11 when the holdouts give up, as they need 6 game to accrue a season. Did something change in the last CBA?

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1u55i5un said:
dopeboy206":1u55i5un said:
FlyingGreg":1u55i5un said:
jake206":1u55i5un said:

What does that have to do with anything? Other than not being true
Give me 5 teams that Baldwin would be a number 1 or 2 WR if he is on that team now.

Exittium

Reaction score
I dont understand why people want to trade away players just to make one guy happy.

Must be that people are afraid of change. Point is Kam isnt being a teamplayer, nor is he competing for his roster spot. And with thay being said next man up. Time for that next guy to get experience, get better and grow.

If Kam wants to show up great, he'll have to earn his spot back. Other than that, i dont know what else to say. Kam maybe one of the best SS, but his attitude is the worst.So here's hoping whoever is behind him has learned enough and will continue with Earl and Sherm, that they'll grow, and we'll see little difference.

Ps. I think its amusing hes blocking people on facebook and twitter who call him out on this. I find is childish by him and by those calling him out. But he hasn't necessarily made an effort to publicy say or clear anything up either, he avoids it at all costs, or has friends like Mike Rob and his agent speak for him. Thats some coward crap.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Send him a registered letter, return receipt required that says:

We want you back! Please report to camp by the end of preseason game 4 and all will be forgiven. If not, then at your option - report on any day after that date and bring your checkbook. If you don't report by that date, all fines accrued will need to be paid and a physical passed before we allow you on the field. Additionally, when you report, you will automatically be a backup SS until you compete and win your old job back.

There will be NO FURTHER COMMUNICATIONS on this topic until you report, pay your accrued fines and pass your physical. This action is necessary because you are in DEFAULT on the contract you signed and fully agreed to on xx/xx/xxxx. You are under Seahawk control & ownership of your playing rights until your entire contract is completed. IF you wish to continue playing football, it will only be with the Seahawks for the next 3 seasons as we will NOT renegotiate a players contract with 3 years remaining and set a team precedent.

The ball is then in Kam's court. The Seahawks can then proceed with the season as though he were on IR or something until he wakes up and smells the coffee. This may be seen as hard-lined, cold & mean but it's a business after all is said and done.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
While Kam's contract numbers look relatively light now, you have to remember they gave him close to $8M up front ($5M bonus + base salary raise) in 2013 when he was scheduled to make just above $1M on his rookie deal. So, to say he's "only" making $5M or so this year isn't entirely correct. That's his salary, but he got some money in advance, which was security for him. He's still probably making below market, but you could say that about a lot of players. If you want a market salary every year, you have to be willing to bet on yourself like Darrelle Revis. Players who get the security of early extensions and upfront bonuses shouldn't also reap the benefits of yearly adjustments.

That being said, I do feel for the guy as a player because I do think he means a lot to the team. More than what he's probably getting paid. Nevertheless, Seattle just can't afford to change course. That precedent can't be set, and you can't justify rewarding a guy for sitting out while ignoring those who showed up (i.e. Bennett). I don't really have an issue if he misses the rest of preseason. If he sits out real games, then I'd just view it like he's on temporary IR. Eventually, he has to show up to accrue his season. It'd be unfortunate if it came down to that, but it is what is.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2xz7plgx said:
andyh64000":2xz7plgx said:
Why is that? Half the people say pay him and the other half say don't.

Based on the commentary that accompanies these opinions none would know how to work this out.

And of course both camps are taking the extreme...what is Kam's agent supposed to say? "We only plan on holding out until game 3 of the preseason and then we will give up and Kam will come back to camp". Of course he is going to say he is ready to sit out the year. And what are the Seahawks supposed to say? This is a negotiation...both sides need to posture. I will start to worry if we are in the final week of the preseason and Kam has yet to report (I would be shocked if it got that far).

Latest posts