Hi From Titans Fans

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Welcome Vondy....but please place the smack in the smack shack. If you click on the seahawks.net next to the .net index, it will bring up a list of convenient locations the bottom which is the smack shack. We do our smack tawk there. Thanks and have a pleasant afternoon.

:greetingsearthling: :irishdrinkers:

sc85sis

Reaction score
The Hammer":2rj8z860 said:
Titans fan here,

This should be a good game this Sunday, though I expect it to be a low scoring one. A lot has changed in recent years for the Titans and we seem to be on the right track.

Some facts about the Titans:

-- Bad pass defense and good run defense. If you want to beat the Titans you need to do so through passing, which is not terribly difficult

-- that being said we have two new starers at CB -- a first round pick and a high priced free agent. And our young FS is quite good -- a third round pick from last year who was not even invited to the combine. So the pass defense is improving.

-- The Titans have a strong offensive line with probably the best OT tandem in the league -- both first round picks.

-- The run offense is one of the best in the league with Demarco Murray and Derrick Henry. The offense is also a very conservative and power based.

-- The pass offense, like the pass defense, is a work in progress. We also made major upgrades at WR with Eric Decker and a first round pick, Cory Davis. Despite missing the preseason Davis looks very good so far. We also have an old but very good starting TE.

-- Mariota is the real deal. He is good, getting better and learns from his mistakes. Most of us are huge fans. There is though a small but vocal group of Mariota haters among our fans base. I think for many of them they were not able to handle with the Titans actually being somewhat good last year. We had been bad for so long they did not know how to deal with success.

-- Special teams were a disaster last year and the FO put a lot into improving them. Adoree Jackson, first round CB, looks amazing returning punts.

To close, you guys are probably still the better team however the Titans are not the cakewalk they were the last time these two teams met.

:irishdrinkers:
We are seriously missing Adoree as a returner for USC right now. He is special with the ball in his hands. He's a good kid too.

Needless to say, our o-line is struggling right now. Much will depend on their performance on Sunday.

xgeoff

Reaction score
ivotuk":2q358fb5 said:
I think the argument here is that Seattle has had an excellent defense over the years, and just because Hyde got two good runs the other day, it's not evidence of the Defense failing.

Hyde earned those runs. But, except for those 2 runs, there wasn't a whole lot of success.

Exactly. I think we saw from yesterday's game that the Niners are capable of moving the ball. They are capable of scoring. Shanahan really is a good offensive mind. And the Hawks D was stout against them as usual. There's no crisis on that side of the ball.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Surprised by the amount of posters on their thread that think they will blow us out.

Now im not confident in our offense. But our defense did just hold GB to 17 in lambo (with 7 of that being a gift on their 2 by our offense)

I assume it will be another 17-13 type affair. Hope we're on the good side of it.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I'm surprised by the number of folks who think we'll lose.

I have respect for the Titans organization, I might even retire near Nashville so I'll hopefully attend many games and actually come up with a #2 team.

But when I calculate off their totals up to this game using the small sample size, I say if the raiders put up 26 on them and the Jags 16, then we're landing around 21. I say around because 21 is my min., I could see us doing 3 TDs and 2 FGs realistically. They've played Carr and Bortles, they have no clue how to defend a mobile quarterback.

if the raiders gave up 16 and the jags 30+, we're giving up 20 (grass field, road game). 2 TDs, 2 FG.

The only thing that hurts us the whole game is Mariota being accurate and careful with the football and Walker. But we've seen this script before....Alex smith and Vernon davis. No problem. Easy day.

The Seahawks have too many weapons to not overcome Bevell and make plays happen to put up points. It's statistically inevitable and it's happening Sunday.

21-20 Hawks and that's just the reality people.

OP
OP
The Hammer

The Hammer

Reaction score
Optimus25":2h1o77yi said:

I have respect for the Titans organization, I might even retire near Nashville so I'll hopefully attend many games and actually come up with a #2 team.

But when I calculate off their totals up to this game using the small sample size, I say if the raiders put up 26 on them and the Jags 16, then we're landing around 21. I say around because 21 is my min., I could see us doing 3 TDs and 2 FGs realistically. They've played Carr and Bortles, they have no clue how to defend a mobile quarterback.

if the raiders gave up 16 and the jags 30+, we're giving up 20 (grass field, road game). 2 TDs, 2 FG.

The only thing that hurts us the whole game is Mariota being accurate and careful with the football and Walker. But we've seen this script before....Alex smith and Vernon davis. No problem. Easy day.

The Seahawks have too many weapons to not overcome Bevell and make plays happen to put up points. It's statistically inevitable and it's happening Sunday.

Do not read too much into the 16 the Tarp Kitties (Jaguars) put up on the Titans. 13 of those 16 points came in garbage time and:

1. Blake Bortles is the Tom Brady of garbage time
2. Mike Mularkey REALLY shuts things down for garbage time

That being said, I cannot argue too much with your prediction :)

Optimus25

Reaction score
^
Yeah, it's pretty nice having established qbs like we do between us.

If we drafted bortles that high and then proceeded to go all in on him, I'd be depressed as hell.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Optimus25":38q7zvit said:

I admire your optimism......get it, Optimus!

But if we were only able to put up 12 against a bad Niners team at home, I'm not sure how we're going to put up 21 against a better team, on grass, on the road.

With our defense, 14 is all I ask for, which still may be asking a lot out of our offense right now. Cause I think we can keep Mariota and Henry in check, and force Mariota to throw it.

If this game was in a month? I'd have more faith in our offense. But right now I think this line and Russell need more time to get their poop together.

Hope you're right, but me thinks this is another uglyfest like last week. More of a FG fest.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
RW's game against San Francisco wasn't all that bad (unless you expect the impossible of 100% perfection). However, RW has had significantly more impactful games in his young career, it's important to note that it very early in the season and as the OL gets more experience, RW's overall game will improve as the season goes along. This has pretty much been the pattern for RW and the Seahawks over the past few years, start slow and end up hopefully end up very strong by seasons end.

RW stats from San Francisco game: 23 of 39 passing (60%) for 198-yds (5.07 ypa) + 12 rushes for 34-yds.
If 3 dropped passes are caught 26 of 39 = 67%, slightly above RW's career average. The lower than normal ypa and the 12 rushes by RW at less than 3 ypc are showing the OL's ineptitude & negative side right now, they will get better.
:smilingalien:

VondyP

Reaction score
Optimus25":2ibqpuvb said:

yeah the titans D has never seen a mobile QB before.......

Mariota20laughing20gif

Optimus25

Reaction score
^
Aaron Rodgers is incredibly mobile and elusive, but somehow Kaepernick annihilated them twice with his own version of mobility.

Practicing against a qb you can't touch is amazingly different than actually trying to bring one down at game speed.

Optimus25

Reaction score
^
^
And reminder, your guy has a career high of 349 yards in a season.

How cute.

Talk to me when he more than doubles that to sniff Russ at 849.

VondyP

Reaction score
Optimus25":g4vzm7st said:
^
^
And reminder, your guy has a career high of 349 yards in a season.

How cute.

Talk to me when he more than doubles that to sniff Russ at 849.
i'll take that as an admission that you were wrong, thanks.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I don't think the fact that a teams offense practices against its defense matters that much. If that were the case, our OL should be used to going up agains great pass rushes but they clearly aren't.

QB rushing yards is the least of your worries with Mariota, the fact that he's ended his first two seasons on IR is far and away the biggest concern. Great QB, hope he does well and proves the pure pocket passer as the only archetype for success mantra wrong just like Russ is trying to!

VondyP

Reaction score
adeltaY":1oko3avx said:
\QB rushing yards is the least of your worries with Mariota, the fact that he's ended his first two seasons on IR is far and away the biggest concern.
the first year he was "out for the season" he could have kept playing. but at that point we had only won like 2 games(late in the season) and he was getting CRUSHED because of poor oline play. oline play so bad that whisenhunt got fired for it because he wasn't making ANY adjustments to help him out.

the 2nd year was kind of a freak accident, so us Titans fans aren't *too* concerned about him being "injury prone" as some people like to believe.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Titans fans talking smack... Never thought I'd live to see the day. Have at it, young fella, but your franchise doesn't really have much material to work with.

The OP is good. Keep posting, I like your insights!

chawx

Reaction score
Hi Titans fan!, Great first post—thanks for coming in and keeping it classy.

As far as the game goes, most in here have touched on it, but your about to feel what it is like to have a top 3 DL for a game. Our OL is probably the worst that has ever been assembled in the history of the NFL and our playcalling is doing nothing (consistently) to help it. We have 2-3 really stubborn coaches who rarely play to our strengths nor exploit the weaknesses of our opponent. Carroll has always said he wants to just line up and beat you, and, apparently, that's what would happen in his mind every play if we could just "execute" better... yeah, because "execution" is the problem on the OL, not the fact that our guys are literally being thrown aside or right into Russell's lap .02 seconds after the ball is snapped.

You guys will get sacks, and you guys will get tackles for loss. You're also about to see one of the most penalized teams in the league too. Prepare to get calls that you'll NEVER get against any other team (ie. a weak defensive holding where the replay can't even find who made the penalty, or a 15-yard facemask that gives you a first down on a 3rd and 20 and when you see the replay, our guy will have legally tugged a guy's jersey and not actually his facemask, etc. etc. The Seahawks get shafted at least 4-5 times a game on calls where they literally are calling numbers that aren't even on the field.)

You'll be watching the entire game freaking out about how great your D is, and how "if you can play like this in the playoffs, watch out NFL"... but, here's the fun part... You'll be killing us and the refs will be helping, but you'll have that constant reminder on the screen that you've only managed 6 points to our 3.

And then comes the 4th quarter...

After watching your team totally annihilate us, you'll see Russell make 3-4 AMAZING plays that Mariota could only dream of making. 1-2 with his legs, and 1-2 with his arm. We'll get the lead. 9-6 (or 10-6 if we don't doink the xp) and then you guys will have a chance, with 6 minutes or so left to win this game that you should have been killing us in...and, well...You'll have a shot at 1 big play to make the game. Mariota will have to be perfect. The receiver will have to make an amazing snag or keep his feet in-bounds... If you make it, you'll win. If not, you'll lose and wonder how the hell you lost that gift-wrapped game.

I'm not going to predict the score, because I don't like to jinx anything, but if you want my gambling advice, take the under and stay away from the spread...it's 50/50.

Good luck.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
chawx":1htru779 said:
Hi Titans fan!, Great first post—thanks for coming in and keeping it classy.

As far as the game goes, most in here have touched on it, but your about to feel what it is like to have a top 3 DL for a game. Our OL is probably the worst that has ever been assembled in the history of the NFL and our playcalling is doing nothing (consistently) to help it. We have 2-3 really stubborn coaches who rarely play to our strengths nor exploit the weaknesses of our opponent. Carroll has always said he wants to just line up and beat you, and, apparently, that's what would happen in his mind every play if we could just "execute" better... yeah, because "execution" is the problem on the OL, not the fact that our guys are literally being thrown aside or right into Russell's lap .02 seconds after the ball is snapped.

You guys will get sacks, and you guys will get tackles for loss. You're also about to see one of the most penalized teams in the league too. Prepare to get calls that you'll NEVER get against any other team (ie. a weak defensive holding where the replay can't even find who made the penalty, or a 15-yard facemask that gives you a first down on a 3rd and 20 and when you see the replay, our guy will have legally tugged a guy's jersey and not actually his facemask, etc. etc. The Seahawks get shafted at least 4-5 times a game on calls where they literally are calling numbers that aren't even on the field.)

You'll be watching the entire game freaking out about how great your D is, and how "if you can play like this in the playoffs, watch out NFL"... but, here's the fun part... You'll be killing us and the refs will be helping, but you'll have that constant reminder on the screen that you've only managed 6 points to our 3.

And then comes the 4th quarter...

After watching your team totally annihilate us, you'll see Russell make 3-4 AMAZING plays that Mariota could only dream of making. 1-2 with his legs, and 1-2 with his arm. We'll get the lead. 9-6 (or 10-6 if we don't doink the xp) and then you guys will have a chance, with 6 minutes or so left to win this game that you should have been killing us in...and, well...You'll have a shot at 1 big play to make the game. Mariota will have to be perfect. The receiver will have to make an amazing snag or keep his feet in-bounds... If you make it, you'll win. If not, you'll lose and wonder how the hell you lost that gift-wrapped game.

I'm not going to predict the score, because I don't like to jinx anything, but if you want my gambling advice, take the under and stay away from the spread...it's 50/50.

Good luck.

I wasn't sure where this was going at first, but, yeah, that's pretty much the scenario in a nutshell. :2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sevenfeet":ezvr5v8i said:
Greetings from Nashville,

This will be an interesting game since we don't see you guys very often. And if this was being played in Seattle, I wouldn't like our chances since we have historically not played well on the west coast. But the game will be in Nashville and the temps will be in the upper 80s, probably a lot warmer than that on the field.

The Titans faithful has higher expectations for this year, certainly getting into the playoffs. That being said, we're not unrealistic here. The Seahawks are a few years away from back to back Super Bowl appearances (including one win). We've not been there since '99-'00. Seattle has been consistently competitive, if not a leading playoff contender every year for a while. Most sportswriters have them as a top 12 team right now with the Titans being a lower top half team. The Seahawks are probably not the same team from 2014-2015, but experience winning matters.

So what do we have now? First, we have Mariota who is certainly up and coming. But he's probably not the second coming of Tom Brady either. He's shown that he's not afraid to stand up in the pocket and scan the defense instead of just going for the first option. And like Russell Wilson, he can extend a play with his legs...so much so that we have a couple of designed run plays for him in the quiver. One of Mariota's biggest problems right now is his inability to make completions outside the numbers. It's not clear right now if it's his accuracy or just being in tune with a constantly evolving receiving corp. But he has to get better here. We're still one of the best teams in the red zone and Mariota has yet to throw a pick in the red zone for his entire career.

The front O-line bookends have already been mentioned in this thread. All I have to say is that Conklin and Lewan are the real deal. The wide outs are a work in progress but certainly better than last year and much better than two years ago. The biggest problem now are injuries and harmony with Mariota since some of the new guys have had limited time with him. That being said, tight end Delanie Walker is about as reliable as they come and Jonnu Smith is looking good as a rookie. And the while Demarco Murray in the backfield is still slowed by injuries, his backup is Derrick Henry and one of these days, that guy will be the #1. For this game, I'm expecting he will be.

Last year, the defensive secondary was our soft underbelly. It wasn't hard for a big time QB to carve up that group and we sometimes made backup QBs look like the second coming of Tom Brady. Adoree Jackson is the new rookie corner and while he's not experienced, he's not playing 10 yards off the defender like his predecessors. And pray your kicker doesn't kick to Jackson on punt returns...he's the guy that jumped over the kicker trying to tackle him in week 1 and would have gotten away with it had he not gotten help. It won't be long before that guy breaks one for a score.

The D-line is pretty solid with Morgan, Orakpo, Woodyard and Casey as the featured players. Nobody is a really fast edge rusher (we haven't had someone like that in over a decade) but they can bother QBs and get a few sacks. Wilson will be harder to catch. The safety corp is better these days but Cyprien is injured. Look at for Kevin Byard...certainly a consistent bright spot for us, especially on the safety blitz.

In previous years I'd say that the Seahawks would be the easy favorite but with the upgrades to Tennessee and the game in Nashville, right now the Titans are a slight favorite. This game could easily go either way...should be fun to watch.
Nice breakdown. Thanks and Welcome! :2thumbs: