How did we lose so many players but no cap relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tical21

Reaction score
Go smoke another one.

We don't have money. You can't pay 5 guys at 10 million per season and have any money left. We have too many good players, and way too many GREAT players. I personally wouldn't have signed Bennett either, but can certainly see why they would.

To me you sound like John Schneider peed in your Wheaties when he didn't re-sign Tate. Which I also agreed with. You can't pay good players. You have to pay great players, and everybody else needs to be uber cheap. If you don't ge tthat, sorry, we can't help ya.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
This has been by far the most entertaining lunch break I've had all week!

:th2thumbs:

Cartire

Reaction score
Can we hurry up and shack this. I feel there is way more not being said that needs to be.

jblaze

Reaction score
Come back Toka! Don't leave us. We need advice on RW's contract next year. He'll be asking for 18-20m, should we cut him now? That could mean at least 72 other players we don't get to sign!

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
It's all good OP. Even though I don't agree with a word that you said .... PC/JS are gonna go get Desean Jackson.

That should make you happy!!!!!!!!

kjreid

Reaction score
Yeah, but I really don't think he is a troll per se........ I think he is just so much more emotionally invested in Clemmons and Tate that he cannot see what the Hawks are doing. Bottom line, if the Hawks would have cut everyone and only signed Tate and Clemmons he would be calling it the most brilliant move in NFL history.

McGruff

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":aqr191oc said:
Tokadub":aqr191oc said:
Can anyone give me proof that we couldn't have got Tate and Clemons in exhange for Bennett's retardedly huge 10 million dollar deal? I'm pretty sure Tate would have signed for 5 mill if we gave it before he hit the market, and if we let Bennett walk we could of retained EITHER Clemons OR Jared Allen. We would be a MUCH better team, I'm telling you guys Bennett is super overrated he's gonna be a piece of dino poo next season and I'm gonna LOL.

IT'S NOT A $10 MILLION PER YEAR DEAL. HIS CAP NUMBER FOR THIS YEAR IS $4 MILLION. IF YOU'RE GOING TO WHINE AND ***** ABOUT SOMETHING AT LEAST GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!

We are paying him $10 million dollars this year. A base salary of $2 million and a signing bonus of $8 million. Because it's a four year deal that $8 million is spread out evenly over those four years. His average cap hit is $7.125 million. Figure it out dude.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... l-bennett/

Yep, by Toke's standards Golden Tate is getting paid 9.5 million this year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
But guise he predicted the Seahawks would score 40 in the Superb Owl

rideaducati

Reaction score
The sky is falling.

I guess simple math is difficult for some people. Somehow going from two million over the cap to fourteen million under the cap = zero cap relief.

Look closely at the seven players that are no longer with the team. Are any of them worth, to the Seahawks, what their new team paid them? Are any of them worth what their contract called for them to be paid if they had not been released? To both questions, the answer is a resounding NO.

Let's look at the seven players:
Big Red. Great at stopping the run, but teams quit running to his side of the field. Very poor pass rush.
Clemons. Good, not great, at both run and pass defense.
Tate. Very similar to cheaper Doug Baldwin. Not as good as Harvin. Not worth $6M per year to Seattle.
Thurmond. Backup corner with off field issues that wanted to be a starter. Would NOT be starting in Seattle.
McQ. Really? You're upset that this guy left?
Giacomini. Average at best right tackle who missed half of last season and whose replacement played just as well.
McDonald. Played well, but was part of a rotation and wants more playing time. Also not worth to Seattle what he signed for elsewhere.

Depth is all that was lost for the most part, and in the salary cap era, you can't overpay for depth.

Oh dear, the sky is still falling.

themunn

Reaction score
Tokadub":i7jxo7d3 said:
Can anyone give me proof that we couldn't have got Tate and Clemons in exhange for Bennett's retardedly huge 10 million dollar deal? I'm pretty sure Tate would have signed for 5 mill if we gave it before he hit the market, and if we let Bennett walk we could of retained EITHER Clemons OR Jared Allen. We would be a MUCH better team, I'm telling you guys Bennett is super overrated he's gonna be a piece of dino poo next season and I'm gonna LOL.

Tate is making $9.5m this year
By your logic that means he is on a $9.5m a year deal right?

Clemons is making a far more reasonable $5.2m but if you add them together you get way more than $10m

Awww someone beat me to it, that's what happens when you have an hour long meeting at 4pm drag on to 7.30

crud

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
At this point calling him a Troll would be a HUGE compliment.....I could not bring myself to give him that much credit.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":10yzwmde said:
At this point calling him a Troll would be a HUGE compliment.....I could not bring myself to give him that much credit.
you're right...a real troll is clever

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Few things in life bring me more joy than when some moron has an epic .NET meltdown. Thoroughly satisfying every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.