How would you attack the Seahawks defense?

Perfundle

Reaction score
pehawk":2h4kbpul said:
The Cardinals beat the Hawks last year by committing to their running game, even though it stunk. At least IMO that's why.
They beat Seattle mainly because they completely shut down Seattle's offense, so they could afford to keep it on the ground; teams are not going to run ineffectively when they're behind 20-6. Also, the alternative to running it was passing it, and Palmer was horrible that day, except on the final drive.

byau

Reaction score
The impressive opposition wins to me were San Diego and Dallas. KC was during some major chemistry issues. St Louis was just weird

San Diego and Dallas had great QBs that dinked and dunked, had a long ball once in awhile. Dallas threatened a running game but was not successful but it was something still to consider. Both QBs didn't scramble much from what I recall

Following that roadmap: The way to beat us?

Same strategy, with arguably the most accurate and smart QB in the league. And to execute this he won't need to scramble

Dink and Dunk. Underneath routes which you can get on Sherman. Once-in-awhile long ball when you see it (won't happen often, we won't blitz often). Tire the defense out and try to take the will out of them. In San Diego part of the tiring of defense was the sun and weather. Both Dallas and San Diego played arguably their very best offense those games.

Lots of patience.

Ordinarily the Seahawks offense probably can put up 17 to 23 points, but that also assumes the Seahawks defense does their job. With an opposing offense patience and dink and dunk, they will eat time and score. The final would likely be something like 24 to 17

Why it is less likely to work this time

Both the San Diego and Dallas games took place early on, well before the Seahawks defense was in sync and attacking. If you try the above scenario now against an in sync defense, it will not likely work. At the very least, the Seahawks D will now hit you regardless of what you do, which over time will take its mental and physical effects on the opposing O over the game and make them less likely to execute such an offense

If the Packers can somehow still reach down deep and impose their will on the very strong will of the Seahawks, they can win. I don't see it as the likely outcome, but if there is a Packers win I see it happening like the above. But I don't see it happening without some mistakes by the Seahawks themselves.

umadbrolob

Reaction score
Sherman gives up the dig/slant route, and Tharold Simon was getting burned on corner post routes. Maxwell is a hit or miss on deep fade or fade to sideline... So the first way would be some splitback (for protection) 3wr set with said.

2nd way I would try is to keep the Hawks in their base D, as that seems to be their weakest. Using a 2 TE/singleback formation you can either run or pass, so you hide your play, and cause the D to guess. I would mostly use this to run between the C & LG/ LG & LT.

3rd would be dink and dunk 2-7 yd comebacks, slants, digs like the Chargers or Cheifs did earlier this year.

4th 7-10 yard throws to that sweet spot between the seam and the very middle of the field.

Last would be empty set, exposing each CB's weakness. Of course this would require an OL like the Cowgirls or Bengals.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":6fkk5hs5 said:
One thing they did well vs us for cheap yards in the first game that we will see again is run 12 yard stops vs our press corner on the left side. Jordy would just get to the sticks, shove the DB, and catch the ball. Rinse, repeat. Made me remember the "rules of emphasis" at the beginning of the year. I am guessing our guys will be a little more aggressive now that the playoffs are here.

Was rewatching part of the game and saw this as well. I think it was Jordy who almost had a 20 yard TD at one point from that play on the left, he was tackled around the five IIRC.

Scottemojo":6fkk5hs5 said:
No Mebane, No Hill, No Marsh, there are a few D-line players missing now. If they don't go after that with regularity they are crazy.

I agree if you are talking about inside pass rush. Hill and Marsh aren't depended on to stop the run, and Williams has essentially replaced Mebane's performance as a 1 tech against the run. I think we are fine against the run especially vs. a Lacy type. One more injury would have me worried.

I am concerned about interior pass rush the rest of the season, but we can win without it this week. Sure would be nice to have it of course with Rodgers almost certain to remain in the pocket all game.

Mick063

Reaction score
Throw to the running backs on a chip delay. The pattern needs to be at least ten yards deep. Not a screen pass.

Seattle's scheme has no answer for it.

Rewatch the first St. Louis game. Their last scoring drive. Rewatch Woodhead for San Diego. Gates gets all the credit only because he scored three times, but look at what plays really kept those long drives alive.

I am shocked that opposing teams don't do it constantly.

Seattle's biggest defensive weakness is covering backs out of the backfield and I'm not talking about screen plays. The movement of the offensive line gives away the screen plays. I'm talking about chip delays and wheel routes.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I heard on the radio today the teams that beat us this year all had a lot in common ( besides the obvious). Each one ran over 25x, didn't allow a sack and won the TO battle . I'd dink and dunk , use a 2 TE set.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
With the majority of our key defenders available, we've only been susceptible to sustained dink/dunk, getting burned by certain speedsters, and what's likely an aberration in our history of struggles against mediocre/over-the-hill RBs who manage to continually break tackles against us while struggling to do the same against the rest of the league. Honestly, you don't attack this Seahawks defense on just game-day. What's needed for sustainable success against what we regularly field starts in the beginning of building one's team. The offense would need to grow together with a love of contact and the disciplined approach of death via slow, plodding, and seemingly unstoppable offensive drives. It begins as philosophical battle as much as anything.

irocdave

Reaction score
First half, run a lot in the A&B gaps with Lacy. The Hawks have been slightly above average in this area of stopping the run. Dink and dunk, take what is there. Punter has to have an A game, pin the Hawks deep consistently. Play solid D, limit 3rd down success (RW scrambling and reaching for the FD). Then play your ass off on special teams. Go all in on punt returns, punts and kickoff returns. The Hawks most glaring weakness is on special teams this year. Do what ever it takes to keep the ball out of the Hawks hands. Zero turnovers, even if you punt 7 consecutive times. Take a couple of shots downfield and make one or two miraculous catches.

The Hawks can be beat, it will take a perfect game by the Pack and some mental mistakes by the Hawks though. The only thing that worries me about this game is special teams.

ptisme

Reaction score
Drop Dom Capers on them..... From space, to be sure..... Kill Two "birds" with one stone:)

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Go to the game really, really early and plant Leprechauns with Uzi's in the lockers of all of the defensive starters. Have the little guys hold them in the shower stalls until after the game is over. If any players try to break free,they must be shot.

I just can't think of another way to consistantly beat this defense.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The popular opinion among NFL analysts seems to be that we are most vulnerable in the middle of our defense. The short middle in the passing game too.

Laloosh

Reaction score
This has been the question of the week on every network, which bodes well for us.

kjreid

Reaction score
Play action pass out of a stack right left seam to the Tight end. it will be a 10 yd catch all day. run right gap and out of same formation and play action to tight end would be the two primary plays that will be a challenge for Seattle. I say this knowing that those two plays will not win the game unless GB is able to pull out a low scoring close game.