How would you attack the Seahawks defense?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ptisme":2931pggz said:
Drop Dom Capers on them..... From space, to be sure..... Kill Two "birds" with one stone:)

Is this a Buffalo Wild Wings button option??? :twisted: :stirthepot:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great thread Pe. I saw a segment on NFL Network yesterday and topic was this very one. They had James Jones on and he was mentioning that the best way to attack the Seahawk defense was through the middle. San Diego Chargers had the blueprint of attacking the Seahawks in this manner. It's area between safeties and linebackers that the Seahawks could be most vulnerable. They should exploit the nickel matchups or bring the TE. Lucky for the Seahawks, GB doesn't have Finley anymore. That would have been his area most likely. Opponents need to be patient and take 5-20 (short to mid) yards the Seahawks may give. Keep moving the ball and chains down the field. So far many teams haven't exercised that type of patience.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawkfan68":23t77c1l said:
Great thread Pe. I saw a segment on NFL Network yesterday and topic was this very one. They had James Jones on and he was mentioning that the best way to attack the Seahawk defense was through the middle. San Diego Chargers had the blueprint of attacking the Seahawks in this manner. It's area between safeties and linebackers that the Seahawks could be most vulnerable. They should exploit the nickel matchups or bring the TE. Lucky for the Seahawks, GB doesn't have Finley anymore. That would have been his area most likely. Opponents need to be patient and take 5-20 (short to mid) yards the Seahawks may give. Keep moving the ball and chains down the field. So far many teams haven't exercised that type of patience.
And still, it took 3 perfectly placed dimes to the TE for San Diego to win. I have looked at that game a few times, knowing how hot it was I watch the awful pursuit angles and Kam's obviously labored efforts and throw it out. Same goes for KC, when I see Smith stinking up linebacker and the first week without Mebane, I struggle to transfer the lessons.

Dallas is the template to me. Not because they looked great, but they didn't stop throwing body blows, running Murray no matter what, even when they fell behind. Knowing Linehan and his former proclivities to pass pass pass, that was a clear indicator that they had a plan to soften this D up for 3 quarters then run some more. San Diego did too, but I thought that was more because seeing what the heat was doing to the middle of the D was so plain and obvious they could not ignore it. The Dallas game felt like a loss for all 4 quarters. The KC game was just adjusting to the loss of Mebane and no Wagner.

So I know what Pe means when he says go jumbo and try to punch us in the face or run a short pass game out of those sets. I guarantee you the two remaining AFC teams will play Seattle from a lot of tight 2 TE sets as well. Maybe with an extra tackle eligible. It is what Arizona did to beat the Rams and should have tried to do to us the following week, but the problem was their D would not allow it. This type of game plan assumes Seattle is never ahead by more than one score.

aawolf

Reaction score
Good stuff on this thread. I agree with those that say the way to beat the Seahawks is to combine a physical run game with a dink & dunk offense.

All plays should be expected to get 5 yards at a time--while WR patterns can extend to keep the safeties away, the plays should always have two primary options underneath. In other words, do what you can to take the safeties out of the game. Also, runs should be between the tackles and you need to coach up the OL and the WR to block with reckless abandon on every play. A balanced offense is necessary--should be a 50/50 split on runs and passes. Money receivers are backs and TEs, and WR running short routes. Anything to get three yards-5 yards a play and keep the chains moving.

The more the offense is on the field, the more you wear down the Seahawks defense, whose primary strength is speed. This strategy works with aggressive defenses that feed off big plays when teams get greedy for big yards. The more snaps the better. San Diego, Dallas, and KC won the time of possession handily. For an offense to be successful against the Seahawks, the game will be won on first downs and second downs where you get 3-5 yards per play.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Basically I would carbon copy the Chargers game plan. And even that may not be enough right now, as it took an otherworldly performance by Antonio Gates to score.

Mick063

Reaction score
Adding to my earlier comments that I fear running backs as a receiver the most.

I expect to see Randall Cobb line up at running back, running delayed wheel routes as a receiver, and I also expect that the defense will get gashed by it until they come up with a good countermeasure. Dear God, I hope they game plan for it ahead of time instead of making it a half time adjustment.

If Seattle plays New England in the Super Bowl, I expect Vereen as a receiver to be a nightmare matchup problem (with respect to scheme, not players).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1onp17bf said:
Basically I would carbon copy the Chargers game plan. And even that may not be enough right now, as it took an otherworldly performance by Antonio Gates to score.

Yep. Unfortunately I don't think the Packers can all of a sudden make Kam gimpy and turn the heat up to 100 degrees on the field in order to control the clock for 45 minutes and wear out our D.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Kind of have to attack Seattle the way Seattle's offense works.

Establish a run threat right up the middle and/or work those Tight Ends. A LOT of short yardage plays so third down is ALWAYS short. Eventually get the Seattle D AND Crowd tired and demoralized. When Seattle is on offense, shut it down, bring that D right back out for long sustained drives with dink-dunk passes and run game going. When the time is right, especially when the QB scrambles, break that long pass out to a fast and shifty WR hopefully on Sherman/Thomas and have the crowd and the defense second guessing itself.

There is no secret game plan to beating Seattle in Seattle. It's a question of executing that game plan. Dallas did it here, San Diego did it at their home. That's the game plan. But you gotta have the players on their A game to make it happen.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Scottemojo":31k9g1r8 said:
hawkfan68":31k9g1r8 said:
And still, it took 3 perfectly placed dimes to the TE for San Diego to win. I have looked at that game a few times, knowing how hot it was I watch the awful pursuit angles and Kam's obviously labored efforts and throw it out. Same goes for KC, when I see Smith stinking up linebacker and the first week without Mebane, I struggle to transfer the lessons.

Dallas is the template to me. Not because they looked great, but they didn't stop throwing body blows, running Murray no matter what, even when they fell behind. Knowing Linehan and his former proclivities to pass pass pass, that was a clear indicator that they had a plan to soften this D up for 3 quarters then run some more. San Diego did too, but I thought that was more because seeing what the heat was doing to the middle of the D was so plain and obvious they could not ignore it. The Dallas game felt like a loss for all 4 quarters. The KC game was just adjusting to the loss of Mebane and no Wagner.

So I know what Pe means when he says go jumbo and try to punch us in the face or run a short pass game out of those sets. I guarantee you the two remaining AFC teams will play Seattle from a lot of tight 2 TE sets as well. Maybe with an extra tackle eligible. It is what Arizona did to beat the Rams and should have tried to do to us the following week, but the problem was their D would not allow it. This type of game plan assumes Seattle is never ahead by more than one score.

Good point about the Dallas game...but I felt they were never really in the game against the Chargers. They had the lead late into the 4th qtr despite getting dominated, as you put it, against the Cowboys. That's why I didn't pick the Dallas game. They were able to overcome getting beat statistically in every category for most of the game. They played poorly from top to bottom. It started with a bad gameplan and was added by a bad attitude from some of the players (i.e. Percy Harvin) late.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1hpy4mje said:
If I was an opposing OC I'd line up in jumbo sets and right between the guards, all day long. 1st and 2nd downs would most likely be 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but, its the way to attack them. Even if I had numerous 3 and outs, that would be the gameplan I'd stick to as much as possible. Preferably these runs would be designs getting KJ in space and/or solely responsible for a cutback lane/gap.

It sounds odd to say it about a defensive team, but, to beat the Seahawks the key is keeping Russ and Lynch off the field.
Pay the Officials.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Attacking the Seahawks defense is like trying to attack a stampede head on. You will probably hit a few and be proud but the hurting you're going to get afterwards probably wasn't worth it.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Patience. take what we give you and do not get greedy or we make you pay. That is how the Bolts beat us. they ground us down at our own game in effect. The Boys needed an almost miracle 3rd and 23 conversion. Against us those plays happen maybe twice a year, and our quotient has been used.

Simply, to attack our D you need to play Hawk football better than the Hawks do.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":jkpebln5 said:
If I was an opposing OC I'd line up in jumbo sets and right between the guards, all day long. 1st and 2nd downs would most likely be 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but, its the way to attack them. Even if I had numerous 3 and outs, that would be the gameplan I'd stick to as much as possible. Preferably these runs would be designs getting KJ in space and/or solely responsible for a cutback lane/gap.

It sounds odd to say it about a defensive team, but, to beat the Seahawks the key is keeping Russ and Lynch off the field.

If they can hammer Lacey between the tackles if could wear us out quickly and fans get tired and a little quitter in long 80 yard drives.

I would hope Lacey plays undisciplined and tryst to bounce outside tot often and gets caught up. If they just try to bulldoze us like the Cowboys did I think they won't be as successful but could have some success.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I've been listening to podcasts on the topic all week and it's comical that the common theme is a bunch of people trying to talk up the improvements in the Packers run game and defense. Not a lot of time discussing seattle so much as how GB finds holes in the defense and stops the offense. A lot of people are clearly hoping to see GB succeed.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Laloosh":2cdzxpu5 said:
I've been listening to podcasts on the topic all week and it's comical that the common theme is a bunch of people trying to talk up the improvements in the Packers run game and defense. Not a lot of time discussing seattle so much as how GB finds holes in the defense and stops the offense. A lot of people are clearly hoping to see GB succeed.
It is always odd when most analysts break down games, and they spend 80 percent talking about Rodgers and the Seattle D, but almost no time is spent on Seattle offense and the Green Bay D. I heard on the other day, all the analysis of our offense was rolled into the very first statement, "Can Aaron Rodgers score the 24 plus he will need to beat Seattle?"

Not one time have I heard anyone ask if Russell, or Marshawn, or the Seattle Offense score the whatever needed to beat the Green Bay D. At first, it is irritating, they really want GB to win, dammit! But then I realize what it really means. First, us getting our points is just assumed. 2nd, people who are not fans just want a good game. 48 gets chalked up as a lousy SB because it wasn't a good game, it was a laugher.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3rwurk34 said:
Laloosh":3rwurk34 said:
It is always odd when most analysts break down games, and they spend 80 percent talking about Rodgers and the Seattle D, but almost no time is spent on Seattle offense and the Green Bay D. I heard on the other day, all the analysis of our offense was rolled into the very first statement, "Can Aaron Rodgers score the 24 plus he will need to beat Seattle?"

Not one time have I heard anyone ask if Russell, or Marshawn, or the Seattle Offense score the whatever needed to beat the Green Bay D. At first, it is irritating, they really want GB to win, dammit! But then I realize what it really means. First, us getting our points is just assumed. 2nd, people who are not fans just want a good game. 48 gets chalked up as a lousy SB because it wasn't a good game, it was a laugher.

I remember before 48 an old Broncos fan from my past texted me to talk some smack. He uttered the usual, rube take about the Seahawks offense, the typical they can't score, no WRs, easy to stop. I told him the Broncos defense was the easiest the Hawks had faced in half a season.

And the above is the truth now. The Seahawks offense actually has it easier once the playoffs start. GB defense is lessor than the Panthers. The Hawks will be able to move the ball at will, sans Bevell's awkward "feeling up" plays.

drdiags

Reaction score
Look at the trouble they had with the route the Broncos hit them with late to the TE for the 28yd TD. Same type of play to the TE from the Eagles. They can be had with a TE against the LB. They also can be had going after Maxwell deep up the sidelines. Pass interference or a completion is going to happen.

If they deploy Cobb like the Colts did with TY Hilton, they can make hay as well. Running up the gut as others mentioned is a way to provide a nice balance. Lacey can make some hay, though I am not sure he can get wide on the Seahawks. The Packers OL is much better than the beginning of the season and Rodgers should be able to make plays even with the bum leg.

TE and RB, with a couple shot plays to the WRs. Davante Adams is a concern based on what I saw from him last week. Should have more impact than Boykin had the 1st game.