I think they should trade graham

Bobblehead

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":32qyje8y said:
RussB":32qyje8y said:
MontanaHawk05":32qyje8y said:
If you trade Graham away, all you do is increase the likelihood of coverage sacks. Wilson's receiving corps is small and injury-prone as it is. He won't improve with fewer targets to throw to.

This was a rare down game for Graham (he was robbed of a TD by the refs) and there are no elite tackles out there just sitting around in some insurance office waiting to be remembered. This is the hand we've been dealt.
They got to 2 superbowls without a star tight end. Difference then was that the o line was actually somewhat decent and could help the offense keep the defense off the feild.

Trading graham for a lineman helps the team, keeping him with zero protection hinders the team.

Zach Miller was a star tight end. He was a great fit for our scheme and made an enormous difference.

A big target who can get open IS protection for a QB. It gives him somewhere to go with the ball. Complaining that Graham isn't being used as a big red-zone target? You won't have anyone who even COULD be used that way if you trade Graham.

It doesn't matter that we have a receiving TE, we don't use them.. just use a lineman.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bobblehead":20ymoek4 said:
MontanaHawk05":20ymoek4 said:
RussB":20ymoek4 said:
MontanaHawk05":20ymoek4 said:
If you trade Graham away, all you do is increase the likelihood of coverage sacks. Wilson's receiving corps is small and injury-prone as it is. He won't improve with fewer targets to throw to.

This was a rare down game for Graham (he was robbed of a TD by the refs) and there are no elite tackles out there just sitting around in some insurance office waiting to be remembered. This is the hand we've been dealt.
They got to 2 superbowls without a star tight end. Difference then was that the o line was actually somewhat decent and could help the offense keep the defense off the feild.

Trading graham for a lineman helps the team, keeping him with zero protection hinders the team.

Zach Miller was a star tight end. He was a great fit for our scheme and made an enormous difference.

A big target who can get open IS protection for a QB. It gives him somewhere to go with the ball. Complaining that Graham isn't being used as a big red-zone target? You won't have anyone who even COULD be used that way if you trade Graham.

It doesn't matter that we have a receiving TE, we don't use them.. just use a lineman.

So you're seriously good with having no red-zone targets? Seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The Seahawks have ways to mask bad offensive line play. They just spent 1.5 seasons proving it. They do not have ways to mask a lack of a big receiver.

OpHawk

Reaction score
It's hard to miss having a redzone target when you refuse to use the one you have.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1wodn1uq said:
Bobblehead":1wodn1uq said:
MontanaHawk05":1wodn1uq said:
RussB":1wodn1uq said:

So you're seriously good with having no red-zone targets? Seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The Seahawks have ways to mask bad offensive line play. They just spent 1.5 seasons proving it. They do not have ways to mask a lack of a big receiver.
So how has masking it worked the past 2 years?

massari

Reaction score
Trade Graham+Lane and sign one of the best pass blocking TE's in the league Gary Barnidge. The offence went on a historic run after Graham got injured in 2015. Love Graham but not being utilized enough to warrant $10M against the cap.

Seahawks would likely get a 2nd round pick for him while clearing $8M at this point.

Aiunahthar

Reaction score
Honestly I get excited watching Graham but he really doesn't fit our offense well. Similar but not as bad as Harvin.
Now that being said, could we get something like a good or elite o lineman for him? Possibly but only from the right team. That team I think would be Dallas. They have good/elite lineman in droves still and if you hang something as juicy as Graham in front of Jerry he's more likely than any other to bite.
With him having a young mobile QB now he may be a bit more willing to relinquish one of those lineman for Graham.

However this is probably a pipe dream anyway you look at it.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The problem isn't Graham, it's the combination of Bevell and Cable. Before Graham, Zach Miller was not exactly hauling in a good number of catches. The tight end is used seldomly in Bevell's offense. And it doesn't help that Cable is a bad coach that he pretty much needs an extra blocker to somewhat make his schemes "work."

If anybody should leave it's definitely Bevell and Cable.

Seymour

Reaction score
I came across an older quote that depicts much of what others here are saying about Graham and some of why he is a poor fit. I cannot stand Ray Lewis the person, but do respect his game and some of his football opinions....

Lewis then followed by saying: "This is what happens when you are a defensive team and you are playing against a tight end" that blocks the way Graham does. "When you talk about what he can't do, he's a queen tight end. He's the opposite of what I used to be playing against. ... When you have this type of deficiency in your offense, this can take away your identity without you even knowing it takes away your identity."

https://www.outsports.com/2015/10/7...is-queen-tight-end-comment-about-Jimmy-Graham

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seymour":2j6hh23p said:
I came across an older quote that depicts much of what others here are saying about Graham and some of why he is a poor fit. I cannot stand Ray Lewis the person, but do respect his game and some of his football opinions....

Lewis then followed by saying: "This is what happens when you are a defensive team and you are playing against a tight end" that blocks the way Graham does. "When you talk about what he can't do, he's a queen tight end. He's the opposite of what I used to be playing against. ... When you have this type of deficiency in your offense, this can take away your identity without you even knowing it takes away your identity."

https://www.outsports.com/2015/10/7...is-queen-tight-end-comment-about-Jimmy-Graham

Regarding the quote above, it goes to something I heard a couple years ago. It doesn't mean one damn thing to be whether he is or not but apparently in the alpha male dominated NFL it could cause some serious animosity with teammates.

Is Jimmy G gay? And if so is that where some of the dislike of him among some Seahawks originates?

Being serious here. I heard it before. Dismissed it. Now with a few other whispers going around has me wondering.

And that's coming from someone who is a huge Jimmy Graham fan. Love the guy's talent/athleticism, etc, who thinks he's been terribly misused in the idiot Bevell scheme.

Hope that's not actually part of the problem but, well, hmmmm...

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Graham and Sherm as a package deal for Trent Williams and a late round draft pick from the Skins.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Really, I bet NO and Bree's would love to have him back. Maybe for Andrus Peat.. maybe dreaming... hell send em another 1st rounder as well, we don't use them very well either.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Bobblehead":282id24c said:
Really, I bet NO and Bree's would love to have him back. Maybe for Andrus Peat.. maybe dreaming... hell send em another 1st rounder as well, we don't use them very well either.

Can we trade Cable with him?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We never should have traded for Jimmy, and it's not his fault. We lack the ability to use him effectively, and that will NEVER change until our OC does.

Knuck Chox

Reaction score
semiahmoo":12odfhbj said:
Seymour":12odfhbj said:

Regarding the quote above, it goes to something I heard a couple years ago. It doesn't mean one damn thing to be whether he is or not but apparently in the alpha male dominated NFL it could cause some serious animosity with teammates.

Is Jimmy G gay? And if so is that where some of the dislike of him among some Seahawks originates?

Being serious here. I heard it before. Dismissed it. Now with a few other whispers going around has me wondering.

I really doubt that would ruffle any Seahawk feathers; this team embraces the unconventional.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1xhwngki said:
Graham and Sherm as a package deal for Trent Williams and a late round draft pick from the Skins.

This is absurd. I seriously hope this is a joke...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Maybe they should trade him b/c I doubt Bevell will ever maximize his talent or use him like he should/could be used.

In NO he was an annual Pro Bowl attendee as a receiving TE. He was an offensive force of nature with Brees and an OC who was willing to use him in all sorts of different ways. Here he is under-utilized afterthought, used only with an occasional mid-range hook route where his length is used, or a short pass where there is little RAC chance or an occasional seam route that is more than often wide open but there is zero chance the OLine can protect RW long enough to allow it to happen. When it does it succeeds. Period. He needs to be used better, with short fades using his height, slants using his length, short hooks where the chains are moved. It is a criminal waste of talent for him to be so under-utilized. I don't believe our OC has even scratched the talent he has. Our owner was very excited to acquire him and it is a real shame he has not yet been able to show his talent here. Somehow in the 3rd season here he needs to used instead of being an after thought.

If there is a failing of Bevell it is his regrettable inability to max out the talent the team has at TE. They are a perpetual afterthought. My great friend Siouxhawk who reminds us that as much as many dislike the play calls made by Bevell the last 6 years have been the best in franchise history. Sioux is right. Just about every team record is threatened or has been well surpassed by his O, crap OLines and all. That though doesn't address Bevell's blind spots and inability to quickly change gears or adjust well to what the opposition is giving him, or to adjust to what his team can't presently do. It's a true blind spot for him. Imagine a team with two TEs that needed to accounted for play after play. Graham is a talent that the team is fortunate to have, he's just very poorly under used.

I call BS on the he shrinks, has checked out, doesn't want to play here anymore, has not developed a relationship with RW thoughts expressed here. The team has simply not used him properly, he's a receiver not a blocker, use him as a receiver TE and take advantage of his exceptional talent and length. The argument may come he broke the team's TE receiving record last year coming off a career threatening injury the season prior where his targets were few and far between. That argument is Bevell knows how to use him, whatever I say, he can be so much more. Unfortunately unless Bevell learns that he can be better used he's wasted here.

Same argument different season. His talent is being wasted here.

If the team wants a blocking TE the use one, and stop the pretense we have a perpetual Pro Bowl potential quality receiving TE that is rarely targeted.

His time here has been disappointing because he could be so much more. It's frustrating to watch when the safety valve for RWs immediate under duress misery of a weak can't pass block OLine could be addressed by a creative use of Graham.

All the trade comments are sadly with respect Maddenesque. I doubt he gets traded but not renewing him at his wish might be the reality.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
RussB":52qmqoe9 said:
Just trade him already he is useless in this offense.

He literally set team records in just about every category for TE's last year, but yeah, he sucks... :roll: