I think they should trade graham

Bobblehead

Reaction score
THe thing about it, is that Wilson behind a good line wouldn't need star playmakers. Wilson's ability to make plays is a unique talent that he has. and not many others do. Give the guy a decent line, a decent RB and he'll put that opposing D on roller skates, as the commercial goes.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
FormerEvil":g0zxeigq said:
RussB":g0zxeigq said:
Just trade him already he is useless in this offense.

He literally set team records in just about every category for TE's last year, but yeah, he sucks... :roll:
You can drool over "TEAM RECORDZ" all you want, but look at his production in NO compared to here.

...Yeah, 'nuff said. He's a waste of money here because we refuse to use him properly.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Imagine Wilson with an OLine that is adequate, and Graham, and Baldwin, Carson and Lockette.

Plus the Hawks D which is the best reason for the team's 70% win rate.

We'd be happy.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3ium8os7 said:
Maybe they should trade him b/c I doubt Bevell will ever maximize his talent or use him like he should/could be used.

In NO he was an annual Pro Bowl attendee as a receiving TE. He was an offensive force of nature with Brees and an OC who was willing to use him in all sorts of different ways. Here he is under-utilized afterthought, used only with an occasional mid-range hook route where his length is used, or a short pass where there is little RAC chance or an occasional seam route that is more than often wide open but there is zero chance the OLine can protect RW long enough to allow it to happen. When it does it succeeds. Period. He needs to be used better, with short fades using his height, slants using his length, short hooks where the chains are moved. It is a criminal waste of talent for him to be so under-utilized. I don't believe our OC has even scratched the talent he has. Our owner was very excited to acquire him and it is a real shame he has not yet been able to show his talent here. Somehow in the 3rd season here he needs to used instead of being an after thought.

If there is a failing of Bevell it is his regrettable inability to max out the talent the team has at TE. They are a perpetual afterthought. My great friend Siouxhawk who reminds us that as much as many dislike the play calls made by Bevell the last 6 years have been the best in franchise history. Sioux is right. Just about every team record is threatened or has been well surpassed by his O, crap OLines and all. That though doesn't address Bevell's blind spots and inability to quickly change gears or adjust well to what the opposition is giving him, or to adjust to what his team can't presently do. It's a true blind spot for him. Imagine a team with two TEs that needed to accounted for play after play. Graham is a talent that the team is fortunate to have, he's just very poorly under used.

I call BS on the he shrinks, has checked out, doesn't want to play here anymore, has not developed a relationship with RW thoughts expressed here. The team has simply not used him properly, he's a receiver not a blocker, use him as a receiver TE and take advantage of his exceptional talent and length. The argument may come he broke the team's TE receiving record last year coming off a career threatening injury the season prior where his targets were few and far between. That argument is Bevell knows how to use him, whatever I say, he can be so much more. Unfortunately unless Bevell learns that he can be better used he's wasted here.

Same argument different season. His talent is being wasted here.

If the team wants a blocking TE the use one, and stop the pretense we have a perpetual Pro Bowl potential quality receiving TE that is rarely targeted.

His time here has been disappointing because he could be so much more. It's frustrating to watch when the safety valve for RWs immediate under duress misery of a weak can't pass block OLine could be addressed by a creative use of Graham.
So we force-feed Jimmy as you suggest and he only catches 50 percent of his passes -- then we're really screwed.

And what about Doug? We start force-feeding Jimmy as you suggest, and you are suggesting that, and in a run-first offense, there's not enough balls to go around for Doug, who has emerged as one of the primary receivers in the league.

Why is it so hard to comprehend that the Hawks are in no way, shape or form the New Orleans Saints. Because that's the whole premise of your argument. We just aren't and never will be as long as Pete is in charge.

Doesn't mean Jimmy can't contribute to a Super Bowl run. The object of the game is to win games, not put up pinball scoring numbers like they do in New Orleans. There, they have to because they don't have much of a defense.

So 8 targets in the first game, including a couple in the end zone, isn't exactly "under using" him. Sounds like he had an ankle injury against the Niners, so maybe that took him out of extended action. We'll likely learn more Wednesday.

And until this line can block on it's own, we'd better get used to Jimmy serving both roles. Unless you want to throw caution to the wind and make Russ a sitting duck back there. I sure don't.

And just look how Luke performed on Sunday. Quite well. The position is being utilized well. Solidify the offensive line and it will produce even more.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I think many are overestimating the potential trade returns for a player who is an UFA at the end of the year who excels in particular schemes. People are purely in wishful thinking mode if they think a team is going to fork over a quality starting tackle for a less than 1 year rental with a hefty salary. Other teams aren't blind to the possible declining production of Graham.

Personally, I feel he's an exceptional talent who still has game changing ability and I liken his 2 poor games as nothing more than flukes-like a talented racehorse who had a puzzling bad race and the connections simply "cross out" such race and look ahead. I have no doubt Jimmy will have some huge games for us this year, but I just don't see the expected trade returns others see. They won't re-sign him or extend him though either.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":kreis32i said:
FormerEvil":kreis32i said:
RussB":kreis32i said:

He literally set team records in just about every category for TE's last year, but yeah, he sucks... :roll:
You can drool over "TEAM RECORDZ" all you want, but look at his production in NO compared to here.

...Yeah, 'nuff said. He's a waste of money here because we refuse to use him properly.

My comment was that he is not useless in this offense. You can't be useless when you're setting "TEAM RECORDZ".

If the question was "is he being properly utilized in this offense" I would have said no as well. Reading and comprehension is L33T Roxzors

adeltaY

Reaction score
I can see where Hernia's frustrations about people treating the NFL like it's Madden with their trade proposals comes from. :mrgreen:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
FormerEvil":2de6u1ve said:
RolandDeschain":2de6u1ve said:
FormerEvil":2de6u1ve said:
RussB":2de6u1ve said:

My comment was that he is not useless in this offense. You can't be useless when you're setting "TEAM RECORDZ".

If the question was "is he being properly utilized in this offense" I would have said no as well. Reading and comprehension is L33T Roxzors
Logical fallacy. Let's say the NFL adds four new teams next year. They could have tight ends that catch 10% of their passes and are the worst in the league by far, but they'd still be setting team records.

You can't just look at "OMG broke team recordz" and equate it to doing a great job. The Seahawks TE team record accolades are, shall we say, not in the upper echelons for the NFL as a whole.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":28ct70ls said:
FormerEvil":28ct70ls said:
RolandDeschain":28ct70ls said:
FormerEvil":28ct70ls said:

Logical fallacy. Let's say the NFL adds four new teams next year. They could have tight ends that catch 10% of their passes and are the worst in the league by far, but they'd still be setting team records.

You can't just look at "OMG broke team recordz" and equate it to doing a great job. The Seahawks TE team record accolades are, shall we say, not in the upper echelons for the NFL as a whole.

That's your argument?? Comparing a hypothetical new NFL franchise with no history to speak of to the Seahawks because it fits your narrative that has nothing to do with my statement disputing a claim that he was useless?? Come on man. That's a clown statement, bro. Ironically enough, you went ahead and demonstrated logical fallacy in your example, but yeah, whatever, right? Additionally, your insistence in using the "OMG broke team recordz" thing is lame as hell. Not sure why you're applying it here and it takes away from your "argument".

Look, here's the thing. I think people are overreacting here. He started last year in almost the EXACT same way. Look at the game log. He went on to make the Pro Bowl, score 1 less TD than untouchable Doug Baldwin, was out 2nd leading receiver, had the same number of 100+ yd games a DB on 30 less targets, almost had 1000 rec yds and single-handedly won the Buffalo game for us on MNF. But yeah, he's worthless.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1oyjfy8m said:
You didn't even comprehend what I said. Wow. That's my cue, I'll bow out. Think as you will, lol.

I understood perfectly what you said. It was just dumb.

You're trying to argue something I'm not arguing. But yeah, you bow out. Do you.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
The coaching staff have not, nor will they ever, utilize Graham's ability to its fullest for reasons that continue to escape me. I don't want to trade him I want Bevell to use him as he should.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2rvo4ns7 said:
jammerhawk":2rvo4ns7 said:
Maybe they should trade him b/c I doubt Bevell will ever maximize his talent or use him like he should/could be used.

In NO he was an annual Pro Bowl attendee as a receiving TE. He was an offensive force of nature with Brees and an OC who was willing to use him in all sorts of different ways. Here he is under-utilized afterthought, used only with an occasional mid-range hook route where his length is used, or a short pass where there is little RAC chance or an occasional seam route that is more than often wide open but there is zero chance the OLine can protect RW long enough to allow it to happen. When it does it succeeds. Period. He needs to be used better, with short fades using his height, slants using his length, short hooks where the chains are moved. It is a criminal waste of talent for him to be so under-utilized. I don't believe our OC has even scratched the talent he has. Our owner was very excited to acquire him and it is a real shame he has not yet been able to show his talent here. Somehow in the 3rd season here he needs to used instead of being an after thought.

If there is a failing of Bevell it is his regrettable inability to max out the talent the team has at TE. They are a perpetual afterthought. My great friend Siouxhawk who reminds us that as much as many dislike the play calls made by Bevell the last 6 years have been the best in franchise history. Sioux is right. Just about every team record is threatened or has been well surpassed by his O, crap OLines and all. That though doesn't address Bevell's blind spots and inability to quickly change gears or adjust well to what the opposition is giving him, or to adjust to what his team can't presently do. It's a true blind spot for him. Imagine a team with two TEs that needed to accounted for play after play. Graham is a talent that the team is fortunate to have, he's just very poorly under used.

I call BS on the he shrinks, has checked out, doesn't want to play here anymore, has not developed a relationship with RW thoughts expressed here. The team has simply not used him properly, he's a receiver not a blocker, use him as a receiver TE and take advantage of his exceptional talent and length. The argument may come he broke the team's TE receiving record last year coming off a career threatening injury the season prior where his targets were few and far between. That argument is Bevell knows how to use him, whatever I say, he can be so much more. Unfortunately unless Bevell learns that he can be better used he's wasted here.

If the team wants a blocking TE the use one, and stop the pretense we have a perpetual Pro Bowl potential quality receiving TE that is rarely targeted.

His time here has been disappointing because he could be so much more. It's frustrating to watch when the safety valve for RWs immediate under duress misery of a weak can't pass block OLine could be addressed by a creative use of Graham.
So we force-feed Jimmy as you suggest and he only catches 50 percent of his passes -- then we're really screwed.

And what about Doug? We start force-feeding Jimmy as you suggest, and you are suggesting that, and in a run-first offense, there's not enough balls to go around for Doug, who has emerged as one of the primary receivers in the league.

Why is it so hard to comprehend that the Hawks are in no way, shape or form the New Orleans Saints. Because that's the whole premise of your argument. We just aren't and never will be as long as Pete is in charge.

Doesn't mean Jimmy can't contribute to a Super Bowl run. The object of the game is to win games, not put up pinball scoring numbers like they do in New Orleans. There, they have to because they don't have much of a defense.

So 8 targets in the first game, including a couple in the end zone, isn't exactly "under using" him. Sounds like he had an ankle injury against the Niners, so maybe that took him out of extended action. We'll likely learn more Wednesday.

And until this line can block on it's own, we'd better get used to Jimmy serving both roles. Unless you want to throw caution to the wind and make Russ a sitting duck back there. I sure don't.

And just look how Luke performed on Sunday. Quite well. The position is being utilized well. Solidify the offensive line and it will produce even more.

Where did he suggest force feeding him? All he did was suggest using him in similar ways to New Orleans.

4 out of the 8 targets were at or behind the line of scrimmage week 1, just because he's getting targets doesn't mean it's not underutilization. You are right, once the OL gets better (who knows if that'll ever happen) then everything will improve.

This offense has struggled the last few years more than its excelled. I don't care whose fault it is, but I hate to see our super bowl aspirations continue to falter because we can't consistently move the ball and score TDs on offense. If we can do that, not many teams will be able to keep up bc our defense is so sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
scrummymustard":11raet64 said:
Siouxhawk":11raet64 said:
jammerhawk":11raet64 said:

Where did he suggest force feeding him? All he did was suggest using him in similar ways to New Orleans.

4 out of the 8 targets were at or behind the line of scrimmage week 1, just because he's getting targets doesn't mean it's not underutilization. You are right, once the OL gets better (who knows if that'll ever happen) then everything will improve.

This offense has struggled the last few years more than its excelled. I don't care whose fault it is, but I hate to see our super bowl aspirations continue to falter because we can't consistently move the ball and score TDs on offense. If we can do that, not many teams will be able to keep up bc our defense is so sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. That's the plan. And history shows our offense does indeed find its rhythm to be that complementary part of the puzzle as you suggest. My point is that Jimmy will be a big part of that resurgence.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
The articles are getting exactly the type of reaction they are supposed to. Everyone suddenly is talking about Jimmy.

He was 2nd in receptions last year. 923 receiving yards, also 2nd. The guy has the talent we need, the problem is when he has to chip or take on blocks before releasing, he isn't available to catch those passes, especially early on in the progression. We all know our O Line hasn't allowed the progression to last long this year. I think last year's stats show we can use him. I think it shows both Russ and Graham have the talent they need. What they don't have is an offensive line that will allow Russ to actually get this offense going. This is Graham's last year of his contract. He's going to try to light it up if he can, so I don't put any of this on him.

I would let him play out the year, then see how free agency does for him. Hopefully by then the Seahawks will have gotten somebody that can coach up the offensive line because they haven't been performing.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
FormerEvil":3m46n1ce said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3m46n1ce said:
Graham and Sherm as a package deal for Trent Williams and a late round draft pick from the Skins.

This is absurd. I seriously hope this is a joke...

:stirthepot: Indeed. Note my avatar.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
FormerEvil":2jk3scxs said:
RussB":2jk3scxs said:

Thats just an example of how sad the TE position has been for this franchise over the years and not some glowing testament to Grahams greatness. Last year was Grahams worst output since his rookie season excluding his injured season with us.

I'm all for a trade at this point. Get whatever we can get and save some money. Regardless of what people want to think, he is not being used correctly and quite frankly, I dont even think he wants to be here anymore. He knows he's wasting time and effort in this offense. His tenure with the Seahawks could very well cost him a yellow jacket when his career is over.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's maddening that they don't use him the way he could flat out DOMINATE in this offense. But, he just clearly isn't going to be used correctly and/or doesn't fit this system. If they can get something for him, may have to move on. He's an incredible player.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3gqjinl2 said:
jammerhawk":3gqjinl2 said:

At no point in my post above did I remotely suggest that our OC should force feed Graham.

You use Doug just like he's been used over the past 2 seasons. If however, you get more first downs there are more balls to go around.

That's for sure, the Hawks clearly aren't the Saints and it's not the premise of my argument my premise is that graham has genuine talent as a receiving TE who can take over a game but that rarely has ever happened since he arrived, b/c he's not being used where his size and athletic superiority will allow a constant mismatch.

Of course, but he is being paid >$10 million per year for only a few touches a game?

Actually it was ten targets in game one with only two receptions, but most were no win poorly designed attempts. He got mugged in the EZ and that should have attracted a Flag with the result being a 1st down on the 1. 2 more target against SF one where he was thrown to in situation where he took a tremendous shot and the other a play where he gained a yard on a play so badly telegraphed by RW that there was zero chance of a gain. I suspect he may be out on Sunday to allow him to reboot and heal up. There were no slants or jump ball situations to him.

This is a separate issue from his use. Bring in the extra OLine man and use him to block if needed rather than use him as a decoy.

In reality this proves my point Willson got two touches of the type that Graham would be a certain receiver of if he were so targetted and then the team moved away from the TE despite the reality the plays were working with Willson. I wondered why? Of course the O as a whole will improve if the OLine improves it's play. Unfortunately that presently isn't the case and making the opponents respect our TEs and have to account for them in coverage allows the rest of the O top open up as NE has proven. Bevell stubbornly refuses to consistently establish that as part of his O. He needs to accept the reality of the protection available and modify his call depending upon the reality of situation.

I'm posting my response as coloured comments within your reply. If you read my post you'd have seen I said some positive things about Bevell, I just don't think he is very creative or takes advantage of the size mismatches or athletic mismatches our TEs could provide. He is as well slow to adjust when his initial plan is stymied, these are blindspots for him. No OC or DC is perfect, nor is any HC or GM. Continuing to try to complete the chunk plays when the pass protection is so poor is to me a weakness in his playcalling. He needs to transition faster to uptempo and vary it up and down throughout the game depending upon the circumstances. There is little doubt to me he could do better and has proven as much in the past, but to me he still has not figured out how to consistently and effectively us his talent.

Of course we differ in our opinion, I respect yours but you refuse to acknowledge there may be some truth in the complaints made about Bevell. Firing him is no answer, nor is firing Coach Cable, changing up quicker and using the talent already here more effectively could be.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":tzftabtl said:
It's maddening that they don't use him the way he could flat out DOMINATE in this offense. But, he just clearly isn't going to be used correctly and/or doesn't fit this system. If they can get something for him, may have to move on. He's an incredible player.
Graham is an incredible player and it's a travesty he plays on this current Seahawks team.

Mike Holmgren has been on the radio numberous times and has said he does not know why the Seahawks cannot properly use Graham to bring out his best talents.

It's too bad Holmgren can't design plays for Graham, at least Holmgren knows the talent he is and Bevell does not.

It's a damn shame, Graham is wasting his career here in Seattle.