Ian Rapoport: Seahawks showing interest in Sidney Rice

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I have nothing to add here, but I'll post anyways.

1. Validate his health
2. If healthy, offer the proverbial 1-year "prove it" deal at a modest (but not bare minimum) deal
3. Compete with whomever else is in the mix

I really like the guy, and production notwithstanding, it isn't a coincidence that our passing game went into a tailspin right after we lost him for the season. If he actually is healthy, then we have a very solid #1/#2 receiver to complement what Baldwin, Harvin, and even Kearse bring to the table. Add a few FAs and rookies to compete and I feel much better.

sutz

Reaction score
I could live with this. Keep the guaranteed money low, though. That way, if he isn't really quite ready, he could be cut in camp with not much damage to the cap. Nothing says a March contract is an automatic starter.

But hey, he's got skilz when he's healthy.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
rcaido":3mqel1vl said:
4.5million for 1 year would be a good prove it deal.
That would be insane for us to cut him and then turn around and sign him for 4.5 mill. If we sign him for anything over vet minimum I would be surprised.

Jville

Reaction score
DavidSeven":37tu3t4x said:
Signing Rice doesn't preclude them from drafting and developing another WR. Most expected them to burn a high pick on WR even with Tate in the fold.

Show me a list of $2m receivers and I'll show a list that Rice is at or near the top of in terms of talent. Don't need him to stay healthy for 60 snaps/game for it to be worthwhile.

Fits Seattle's "take care of the football" multiple offense. Thirty snaps a game would fit right into featuring a variety of receivers designed to create match up chaos for opponents. And, thirty or so snaps a game would manage Sidney's exposure and collisions over the 2014 season.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Jville":12lxvxmk said:
DavidSeven":12lxvxmk said:
Signing Rice doesn't preclude them from drafting and developing another WR. Most expected them to burn a high pick on WR even with Tate in the fold.

Show me a list of $2m receivers and I'll show a list that Rice is at or near the top of in terms of talent. Don't need him to stay healthy for 60 snaps/game for it to be worthwhile.

Fits Seattle's "take care of the football" multiple offense. Thirty snaps a game would fit right into featuring a variety of receivers designed to create match up chaos for opponents. And, thirty or so snaps a game would manage Sidney's exposure and collisions over the 2014 season.

Harvin's snap count has also historically been managed due to his play style, so I think you're going to see a lot of rotation within the group regardless of who else they bring in.

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't think there is a "prove it" factor with Sid.

He is coming off an injury, so, get him in camp and see how and if he has recovered. I would think he is ahead of the curve since his injury/surgery was early, hell, I don't know.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would really much rather move on from our oft injured and highly overpaid receivers to be honest. Time to turn a new page.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Been expecting this move. Pretty obvious. Every legitimate jersey site has his marked down to $47.99, and I've been looking like crazy for a medium. Nope. Only XL and bigger stuff. Good value for someone to snatch one up in anticipation of him re-signing with us though.

rigelian

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1kwfk0o1 said:
HawkFan72":1kwfk0o1 said:
Hasselbeck":1kwfk0o1 said:
Not sure how wild I am about this. Rice looked like a shell of his former self last year, and I just think there are better options in the draft right now.

I'd honestly be more excited about Kenny Britt than Sidney Rice

People on this board love Kenny Britt because he's a name that has been a fantasy football sleeper for years.

Kenny Britt was one of the worst WRs in the NFL last year.

I love Britt because he's still incredibly talented and has been mired with bonehead off the field issues (correctable) and bad quarterback play (wouldn't be a problem). He has had health issues as well, but he's two years younger than Rice.

MizzouHawkGal":1kwfk0o1 said:
Good. The issue isn't his production it's that contract. Give him a prove it deal or 3-4 years at 4-5 million, something reasonable. Maybe 6-7 but that's pushing it.

Thats the thing.. even before his ACL tear last year, he only had 15 receptions in 8 games.. it's not like the guy was lighting up the box score every week and had his first injury either.. he's now had the labrum, ACL, and shoulder injuries.

I don't think he was healthy in the previous 8 games before he was injured. Remember, he went to Sweden to have some experimental treatment on his knee. He never did seem quite right even after the treatment. If the surgeries clean up his problems, he would be a good fit.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":31ry2nas said:
That Britt guy just keeps coming up:

From Roto:
A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that "four our five" teams are interested in free agent Kenny Britt.
The Redskins are reported to be one. PFT speculates the Patriots could be another, as Bill Belichick has an affinity for former Rutgers players. Britt is going to have to settle for a one-year deal worth about the league minimum.

Year Team G Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD
2009 TEN 16 42 701 43.8 16.7 2 3
2010 TEN 12 42 775 64.6 18.5 2 9
2011 TEN 3 17 289 96.3 17.0 2 3
2012 TEN 14 45 589 42.1 13.1 1 4
2013 TEN 12 11 96 8.0 8.7 0 0

How does he play in 12 games with 11 catches last year?

Wash Post:
Posted at 04:44 PM ET, 07/20/2012
Kenny Britt’s DUI only the latest off-field incident for Titans receiver
By Matt Brooks
Britt’s previous off-the-field problems included outstanding traffic warrants for false statements on his driver’s license application, a ticket for driving without a license, an arrest following a car chase, a lawsuit over his alleged role in a bar fight and charges for resisting arrest after he was confronted by police for suspected marijuana possession, per ESPN’s Paul Kuharsky.

Britt, 23, had arthroscopic surgery on both knees within the last three months and he is currently trying to work his way back into shape in time for the season. He showed flashes of breakout potential in his third season with the Titans, posting 271 yards and three touchdowns during a torrid two-game stretch in September. But Britt tore his ACL and MCL in his right knee in just his third game and missed the remainder of the season.

Sidney's lookin' better all the time.

Uh... he was basically inactive most of the year. He was in Munchak's dog-house. That's why he hardly played.

He had 11 receptions compared to 15 by Rice. How's Sidney looking better?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
rigelian":2vg6spm4 said:
I don't think he was healthy in the previous 8 games before he was injured. Remember, he went to Sweden to have some experimental treatment on his knee. He never did seem quite right even after the treatment. If the surgeries clean up his problems, he would be a good fit.

He hasn't been healthy most of his career.. it's not like this was his first injury. He has a very long history of health concerns.

If they signed Rice over drafting a WR.. that would be a horrible mistake on the part of this FO. Horrible.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":32pikguz said:
Grahamhawker":32pikguz said:
That Britt guy just keeps coming up:

Uh... he was basically inactive most of the year. He was in Munchak's dog-house. That's why he hardly played.

He had 11 receptions compared to 15 by Rice. How's Sidney looking better?

Britt played in 12 games, but was inactive most of the year?

Rice had 15 catches in 8 games- more explainable than 11 catches in 12 games...?

Britt could be worth a look- Rice has had similar injury history- but nowhere near the character issues.

rigelian

Reaction score
I have no problem with re-signing Rice if the contract is sufficiently low. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't draft someone.

Latest posts