Geno will be back in 2023 (Ian Rapoport)

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
The Seahawks have much bigger problems than QB.
Which is why locking in Geno for 2-3 years at a reasonable cost works to allow them to build around the position for his successor.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I really like Geno. But I don't want to pay him north of 30 million a year. I just don't think you can win like that. Look at the Bills paying Allen 30 million and they just got it handed to them by Cincinatti.
I agree with this take. Allen's cap hit for 2023 will be $39 mil. For 2023 Cousins is at $36 mil, Prescott at $49 mil, Carr at $35 mil and Rodgers is at $31 mil. When QB salaries get north of $30 million teams become unable to afford surrounding talent and have to settle for rookies and mid-tier veterans which just ain't gonna get you a SB ring.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I hope we get Geno back at just under 30 million per. But like mentioned above, we need to reserve cap space for defensive players.

The 2 teams that are likely to be in the Superbowl have low cost QBs. Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts. Brock Purdy is as cheap as they come, but his success is based on Shannahan's system, and having McCaffrey, Deebo, and Kittle to throw/hand off too.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's already starting to take to Twitter. Nothing like negotiating in public. Let him test the market, if someone wants to overpay, so be it. Comp pick in 2024, cool.
The Hawks were the only team that seemed willing to give the guy a chance. Let's see if he remembers that. 20-25 a year is reasonable for a couple years.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
He's already starting to take to Twitter. Nothing like negotiating in public. Let him test the market, if someone wants to overpay, so be it. Comp pick in 2024, cool.
The Hawks were the only team that seemed willing to give the guy a chance. Let's see if he remembers that. 20-25 a year is reasonable for a couple years.
It’s easy for us ‘normal’ earners to sit back and say he should take a pay cut to stay where he was given a chance. But this is his best possible chance to drive up his salary and I highly doubt many of us, if not all of us, would willingly take a $5M/year pay cut. I think this season is probably his peak, he’ll never have this much leverage again and he’s never had a mega payday before. The only way I’d feel ill of him got not taking loyalty into account is if he leaves for a deal comparable to what we offered. These guys risk permanent disability for owners who take in money by the millions, they have every right to get as much as they possibly can out of that bucket before their career ends in injury or age.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Ian's report is the exact opposite of what Brady Henderson said and he's been pretty spot on the past couple years and appears to be well connected with the team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't blame him one bit. He's never had a big contract. He had a massive opportunity this year, and he took advantage of it.
I just don't think he's worth big money that's all. IF he gets it? Good for him.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I feel Geno is worth more than the $31M transition tag cap hit which makes signing him an instant positive return on investment and a need to do signing. It's not quite the same ROI as a QB on his rookie deal, but it's at least we know what we get from him

I'd still like to see Pete and John move around the board to get a rookie QB who can take over next year (Anthony Richardson, please). With most of the offense under contract, signing Geno won't impact the offense much, but it would certainly make it hard to bring the defense back to respectability.

Hawknight

Reaction score
We took a gamble and played Geno with low expectations. If he's looking north of 30 mil..I say we roll with Lock this next season and see how that pans out...what's his current contract right now..anyone know?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
We took a gamble and played Geno with low expectations. If he's looking north of 30 mil..I say we roll with Lock this next season and see how that pans out...what's his current contract right now..anyone know?
For 2022, he was signed for like $3.5m with another $3.5m in incentives, which met, so made $7m.

WarHawks

Reaction score
So we know what we have with Geno. So what? Who's to say a year with Lock and a rookie would be that much worse? We just got out from under a major qb contract, and I don't see why we would want to hamstring ourselves like that already, with so many more needs to fill. It doesn't make sense to me, unless Pete seriously thinks he's making a run this year with Geno.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It’s easy for us ‘normal’ earners to sit back and say he should take a pay cut to stay where he was given a chance. But this is his best possible chance to drive up his salary and I highly doubt many of us, if not all of us, would willingly take a $5M/year pay cut. I think this season is probably his peak, he’ll never have this much leverage again and he’s never had a mega payday before. The only way I’d feel ill of him got not taking loyalty into account is if he leaves for a deal comparable to what we offered. These guys risk permanent disability for owners who take in money by the millions, they have every right to get as much as they possibly can out of that bucket before their career ends in injury or age.
Except that it wouldn’t be anything like a $5 mil/year pay cut. Geno made $7mil this year with incentives. A $5 million/year cut would put him at $2million/ year. More like, does he want a raise of $20 million a year or $25million?!

To better put it into terms the rest of us normal folks could understand, it would be like passing up a $5000/year raise but you have to move to a different city. Never mind, I have absolutely no clue what +/- $5 million means. I’m just a normal guy hoping to have enough to retire one day.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Except that it wouldn’t be anything like a $5 mil/year pay cut. Geno made $7mil this year with incentives. A $5 million/year cut would put him at $2million/ year. More like, does he want a raise of $20 million a year or $25million?!

To better put it into terms the rest of us normal folks could understand, it would be like passing up a $5000/year raise but you have to move to a different city. Never mind, I have absolutely no clue what +/- $5 million means. I’m just a normal guy hoping to have enough to retire one day.
Sorry, I mean a cut from like $30M to $25M or something like that.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
It will be a competition for the starting job. Geno, a rookie, and ??...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Since I am the resident 'Pete Hater' on this forum (not really), it feels fair to point out that in hindsight Pete has a long history of making QBs look good under him that don't produce near as well elsewhere.

Sanchez
Leinert
Maybe even Wilson?

Probably not a stretch to consider:
1. Geno may not produce as well anywhere else

2. Someone else might produce as well as Geno, for the same reasons Geno produced well under Pete.

Combine that with people still trying to figure out if last year's production is the exception, not the rule, given Geno's track record outside of this season?

Seems like the competition for him in FA might not be as strong as Geno & his agent might hope. I don't think there will be many pushing Geno's cost up.

IF we assume Geno can produce outside of Pete, then he is better served going somewhere that has all the pieces but needs a QB. Could be the Fins (if Tua does not come back), even the Ravens if they don't want to keep Lamar. But you can likely find 4+ teams that would benefit from someone like Geno if he produces like this season. Weirdly, maybe even the Jets.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I hope the contract is no more than 20m with incentives, but thats probably a pipe dream.

Seahawker

Reaction score
As much as I like Geno, I'm starting warm up to the cheap rookie QB with a 5th year option, opposed to 30+M for Geno.
It's only going to take one team offering GS more $ than we want to pay to upset our apple cart. Maybe they should use the non exclusive tag on him to let the market set his price and if it goes too high at least we might be able to negotiate a draft pick or two for him. We just got out from under RW's huge deal, Geno's new deal would have to be very team friendly. If it goes too big it will at minimum cost us 3-4 solid FA veterans in the first two years of the contract. If JS & PC fall in love with Richardson, Levis, Hooker, whoever, then I think re-signing Lock cheap & having him, our top rookie and possibly another day 3 or undrafted competing in camp could be the way to go. It was great watching Geno out perform RW, if Lock could do the same in 23' it would be the best icing ever put on a cake. LOL. My objective isn't to outpace RW, it is to try and field a SB worthy team for the future.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Was fun watching the young QB's play yesterday. Will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. I don't remember being this engaged prior to the combine in 2012. Can't wait for the senior bowl this weekend and the draft.

Latest posts