Geno will be back in 2023 (Ian Rapoport)

Fade

Reaction score
Which is why locking in Geno for 2-3 years at a reasonable cost works to allow them to build around the position for his successor.
The way the Seahawks want to build the team, the QB is nearly the last piece.

1) Build the defense
2) Build the running game
3) Add some weapons
4) Go get the QB + round out the roster.

The problem that continues to occur is the Seahawks can't build the defense despite a boatload of assets thrown at over the last 7 years.

The defense is so far away, that Geno doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I like Geno as a starting QB. However, the timing is just off, where Seattle is at, and where he is at. Paying a bridge QB $30M+ isn't smart.

The best case scenario for Seattle is to Franchise Tag and trade him for more draft ammo to speed up the rebuild, roll with Lock or whoever next year, and target a QB in the 2024 draft with the roster now built up from the '22 and '23 drafts, '24 becomes their new "2012" draft, landing a Franchise QB in his early 20's. Making them contenders for years to come.

If the Seahawks re-sign Geno they have to contend right away for it to make any sense with what they'll be paying.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
All John has to do is slap the transitional tag on Geno, and no team is going to give up two firsts to sign him.

It also neuters Geno and his agent's ability to leverage other teams in trying to drive up the price. Geno played great, but unlike other top 10 QB's that other GM's would absolutely entertain giving up 1st rounders to get, he isn't going to command that sort of interest.

So really all we're talking about is how little John needs to offer Geno to not piss him off. Me thinks it'll be somewhere in the high 20M range with a LOT of incentive bonuses.
LOL Yep, Geno and everyone else are echoing that "It's a Business", well, um yes, it most certainly IS a business BUT.. it's right in John Schneiders Wheelhouse, & Genos' Agent will have to dance with the tunes that John plays.
As the Seahawks GM, John holds that "Ace in The Hole" expertise that Geno's Agent HAS TO address.
Should his Agent get overzealous? yeah, that 'Transition Tag' will bite him right in the as$.
I DON'T think Geno is an idiot, and I think he and John Schneider will ultimately come to a mutual agreement.
I also believe that John Schneider is going to show some 'Tough Love', and some respect for what Geno brings to the conversation, but Geno has to know that John Schneider HAST TO DO what's best for the Seahawks Organization, THAT'S HIS #1 PRIORITY.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

1) Build the defense
3) Add some weapons

The problem that continues to occur is the Seahawks can't build the defense despite a boatload of assets thrown at over the last 7 years.

The defense is so far away, that Geno doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I like Geno as a starting QB. However, the timing is just off, where Seattle is at, and where he is at. Paying a bridge QB $30M+ isn't smart.

The best case scenario for Seattle is to Franchise Tag and trade him for more draft ammo to speed up the rebuild, roll with Lock or whoever next year, and target a QB in the 2024 draft with the roster now built up from the '22 and '23 drafts, '24 becomes their new "2012" draft, landing a Franchise QB in his early 20's. Making them contenders for years to come.

If the Seahawks re-sign Geno they have to contend right away for it to make any sense with what they'll be paying.
That's why I said at a reasonable rate. Spending too much on him now defeats the advantage of not needing to put too many resources to an area that isn't ready.

GemCity

Reaction score

1) Build the defense
3) Add some weapons

💯

massari

Reaction score
roll with Lock or whoever next year, and target a QB in the 2024 draft with the roster now built up from the '22 and '23 drafts, '24 becomes their new "2012" draft, landing a Franchise QB in his early 20's. Making them contenders for years to come.
Are there any 1st round worthy QBs next year outside of Williams and Maye who likely go 1st and 2nd overall? If so, I like your plan, but don't know how they can pass on Stroud/Young if they're still on the board at #5.

flv2

Reaction score
As ever what a team pays a player is important. What the cap hit figure is depends on how/when the team accounts for it is paying. Judging a multi-year contract by the cap hit figure of 1 specific isolated year is for the ill-informed and the lazy.

The Transition tag is an expensive 'Right of 1st refusal' tag with zero compensation if a higher offer isn't matched.

Paying anyone $25M+ in 2023 for a player to be part of a positional competition only makes sense if you're prepared to use $25M+ of your salary cap on a back-up carrying a clipboard.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I hope the contract is no more than 20m with incentives, but thats probably a pipe dream.
Agree with both of these sentiments. He's not really worth more than that 20 to us, but he's going to get 30 plus on the open market.