If it's not Bevell

Mojambo

Reaction score
The two worst aspects of the offense fall under the control of ONE COACH, and his name isn't Darrell Bevell.

StoneCold

Reaction score
The biggest change you could make would be to get a kick ass Oline. It might be coaching, it might be scheme, but if you let Dlinemen 3 yards deep on a running play, I don't care who the running back or coach is, it ain't gonna work. Perhaps they can't block because of Cable, but I don't think it's possible for us to tell the difference. Get some studs!

Boycie

Reaction score
Mojambo":2yychzar said:
The two worst aspects of the offense fall under the control of ONE COACH, and his name isn't Darrell Bevell.

Its Cable.

How many times did you see our RB hit as soon as he got the hand off 5 yards in our back field?

Fix the o-line, or the scheme, and I think our offense flourishes.

Jville

Reaction score
calinator":2n8fjx6b said:
JimmyG":2n8fjx6b said:
People believe that Wilson is this transcendent, MVP-caliber talent, but then simultaneously think that him disappearing for entire halves of football is because of playcalling. I'm sorry, but that is asinine. People have conditioned themselves to reflexively spew out drivel excuses like "poor pass protection" or "long-developing routes" every time he gets sacked. I'm sorry, but watch the game. There are countless times every single game that he takes a sack because he takes off at the first hint of pressure and complicates things for the entire offense. He is very inconsistent.

The pass protection was a lot better after the Duane Brown trade. Just off the top of my head, I can think of about 5-10 instant replays that showed a defensive end / edge rusher blowing straight past Duane Brown and pressuring Wilson. Why? Because Wilson rarely steps up into the pocket; instead of climbing the pocket, he runs backwards and renders the pocket absolutely worthless. That is not the line's fault, it is his own fault.

Yet again, his flaws were on full display in the first half of the game yesterday. The last drive before halftime was absolutely abysmal. Check out the YouTube link below. Wilson has a clean pocket here for at least 3 seconds. Instead of standing in the pocket and delivering a pass, he starts running around and takes a huge loss. This is 100% on him. Even if you think that our receivers were covered, there is no excuse for taking that big of a loss. This is a 17-yard loss! How many times do we have a drive killed because of a massive loss from him running backwards like this, or from him picking up intentional grounding, or from him dancing around and the OL racking up a holding call in the process?

Link to specific highlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMyBtMf0JxY#t=3m56s

At times he takes over games, and at times he destroys the offense. He is maddeningly inconsistent.

Good post.

A thoughtful post. Russell can also be maddeningly unpredictable for his team mates. He is in full view of opposing defenders while he works behind the backs of most of his teammates. Advantage goes to the defense in manipulating the other 10 teammates. When Wilson bolts, it hurts teammate leverage and confidence IMO. Flags can rain down.