Impending new emphasis on defensive holds

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Jealousy, jealousy, jealously....

It's widely discussed amongst fans of teams who get destroyed by the LOB that the Hawks must be cheating to be that good. :roll:

Tical21

Reaction score
We are going to be impacted less by this rule than everybody else is.

There isn't a coach in the league that doesn't tell the refs to put an emphasis on watching our physical play. During ever week heading up to our game, the officials that drew our game are watching film and taking instructions about how to call a game with the LOB. We're already being watched "like a Hawk", and already do accrue the most penalties on the back end.

Now, in theory, all the other teams will be watched as closely as we already are.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
TXHawk":3r2n5wu5 said:
The Seahawks were the most penalized team in the league last year and still won the Super Bowl, although I think about half of them came on Robert Turbin runs rather than defensive holding.

Not worried about it.

No doubt... Turbin was robbed of at least 250 yards of rushing for that.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Oh yippee just what the NFL needs more flags :sarcasm_off:

This is about two things - (1) more offense and (2) an overreaction to watching Peyton get waxed in the SuprBol :p

I'm confident the Hawks will adjust if necessary.

kearly

Reaction score
Not sure if this factoid is totally relevant but I thought it was interesting.

Apparently there is a stat called net penalty yardage differential. It adds up all penalty yards against and all penalty yards for and adds the numbers together.

Seattle's net penalty yardage differential last season was -351, the worst such number in all of football. And this of course does not count yards lost from penalties (*cough* Robert Turbin *cough*), or drives that were extended by them, etc.

And the Seahawks still won 16 out of 19 games.

For comparison, the Rams were -31, the 49ers +77, the Cardinals +216.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3r5g0trx said:
I'm not worried. The notion that Seattle gets away with holding all the time is bullshit anyway.
Yep, as anyone who read my very long post last year quoting a bunch of things from the rule book knows. I think this actually benefits the Seahawks. Our guys are used to trying to be as physical as possible within the rules; they will acclimate to the changes more efficiently than players on other teams. We still led the league in penalties, but a lot of those were on our O-line, too.

I really like the part about OPI being emphasized. I'm still annoyed that Demaryius Thomas wasn't called for that on Sherman on the one deep pass attempt PeyPey threw at Sherman. It was the right move by Demaryius because Sherman was friggin' ahead of him and it was likely going to be an interception, but I wanted Denver to suffer the damned yards for it.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Birdfinger":1kf7ow4v said:
Mike PereiraVerified account ‏@MikePereira

Btw, officials were shown many plays regarding illegal contact and defensive holding. How many Seahawk plays???. None.

https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/ ... 1208710144

Knowing Pereira he was probably disappointed. If Mr. Well-Officiated Game was still running the show I have no doubt that the number of defensive penalties in Seahawks games would skyrocket. As it is, I think this will hurt us a bit (especially early in the season) but that we'll adjust and be fine.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Meeker":6bhjbwpr said:
Scottemojo":6bhjbwpr said:
I'm not worried. The notion that Seattle gets away with holding all the time is bullshit anyway.

Both Greg Cosell and Cian Fahey said that thought was overblown and the Hawks don't get away with it anymore than any other team and both watch an extensive amount of film, the latter of which focused on DBs.

Does anybody have the piece where avian Fahey says this is overblown? I found Cosell talking about it here:

http://sulia.com/channel/san-francisco- ... fe4dd1d26/

But couldn't find a link to Fahey saying it. I know that Florio is too much of a coward to leave this up at PFT if it was posted in the comments but it would be nice to have a couple of links in my back pocket in case other people starting piping in with this "LOB Rule" nonsense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2x5gnp23 said:
Knowing Pereira he was probably disappointed. If Mr. Well-Officiated Game was still running the show I have no doubt that the number of defensive penalties in Seahawks games would skyrocket. As it is, I think this will hurt us a bit (especially early in the season) but that we'll adjust and be fine.
Yet, Pereira just defended us with that Tweet; so what's that tell you?

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Read the comments on Pereira's Tweet:

@MikePereira: Btw, officials were shown many plays regarding illegal contact and defensive holding. How many Seahawk plays???. None.

@Peeeteeee: @MikePereira They would be there all day if they had.

@MikePereira: @Peeeteeee >>Excellent response.

So what's that tell YOU?

https://twitter.com/mikepereira/status/ ... 1208710144

theascension

Reaction score
Looking at the Canadian Football League this year could point to how the NFL might look. This year has been incredibly ticky tacky flag wise, averaging I think 35 penalties a game. As if they couldn't make the game more boring up here in Canada, just touching a foot of the quarterback while falling down is a roughing the passer.
Hopefully this doesn't impact our mentality too much. We already were the most penalized team last year and still had great success. I believe we still have the tools to remain the #1 defense, unless the NFL wants to conspire against us again.

Sac

Reaction score
Our guys play with solid technique. Crying by other teams fans it's just sour grapes.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Sigh..Training camp and pre-season cannot get here soon enough.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oasis":2aed57zc said:
per Mike Pereira:
https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/ ... 0248307712

I put this on the Hawks forum because like many of you who viewed the Hawks' 2014 schedule, I believe the nfl is conspiring against us this year -- and this is another way to do it. Take clean plays and throw penalties at the most physcial DB's in football.

This is a misnomer, and was cleared up by many before the SB last year.......including Pete numerous times during the season when asked if his DB's get away with holding.

He and others with knowledge of the game know better. Our DB's have superior technique, hip positioning and overall scheme to win their battles.

I don't see this slowing us down at all. In fact, without BB (who was arguably the weakest link DB with the most holding penalties) gone, I expect the LOB to be even nastier than last year.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":611sz3hq said:
That he can laugh at something that is funny, that's what that tells me.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I took Pereira's Tweet as a lame attempt at snark. It would be like if somebody compiled a list of the biggest temper tantrums by NFL coaches and somebody here remarked: "Btw, there were dozens of clips of coaches going off on the sidelines during games. How many Harbaugh tantrums??? None." That wouldn't be a defense of Harbaugh, it'd be shock that they left out the obvious example. That's how I think Pereira intended his original Tweet and I think his subsequent reply is evidence of that, but I could be wrong.