Interesting grading for QB of class 2024

toffee

Reaction score
The stats and grading from PFF:

Qb24

Some thoughts:
  1. Celab's running around in circles under pressure helped him buy time but not completion, he may not be the second coming of Russell Wilson.
  2. JJ's deep throws and screen yards weren't good,
  3. Penix excelled in deep throw but not completion percentage.
  4. Daniels had good deep throw grading and big-time throw rates.
  5. Nix may be the best game manager for west coast offense.

Last edited:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Nix is like Brock Purdy 2.0 -- but maybe not as talented. Seriously, watching Purdy clips he was sooo underrated in college. I think Purdy had a way better proof of his ability to read defenses and get through reads. Nix was excellent at managing the Oregon offense and struggled in the more complex multi-read Auburn offense. Maybe it was age, maybe it was a better scheme fit.

Penix threw the ball away. He's like the opposite of Williams. I think the RW comparisons for Williams are pretty good. His ability to throw on the run is exceptional and he holds on to the ball too long because of it.

What surprised me the most about watching tape of Daniels is that he really excels vs the outside rush. Interior pressure is what gets to him more. He's so quick and can feel the pressure so instinctively that he can get away. I think the biggest worry about him is his lack of protection when he runs. He's not exactly a thick guy. I worry that he'll spend a lot of time on the sideline in a warmup pants. It's really hard to teach playmakers to avoid injury (ask Jake Locker). He's got the second best deep arm though. His improvisation is more exceptional as a runner compared to Williams as a passer.

JJ's the biggest wild card. If Penix and Daniels can avoid injury, I think they potentially could be solid NFL starters. JJ wasn't asked to do much and Roman Wilson was an exceptional wideout for him when he did make plays.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
So really, if you were to make a simple pro/con list, Nix is the standout, and has the most first place stats of all of them with seven. None of the others have more than two. Penix has one (deep yds), and JJ has none. But he's 21, so I'll give him a bit of a pass, since he hasn't had as much time to develop his game yet. All of them have flaws though, and all of them are a compromise of sorts. Must be a typo on the adjusted completion though. Daniels is listed at 97.6%, which is probably 77.6%. There's a bit of something here for everyone, depending on scheme fit and what your needs are. Very interesting.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
I was not a Bo Nix guy myself. But the more you watch his film, the more you end up liking him. He's a quick processor. Maybe the best in this class at it? The ball is out fast. You can credit the scheme. But he really operated that offense at a high level. It's clear he has a high Football IQ. He's definitely getting slept on.

He's my QB4.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
Nix's only major flaw is lack of a deep passing game, but that could probably be developed. Excellent at moving the ball though. I've seen lots of mocks with him going to the Saints or Broncos.

Here's a question for everyone. If Penix and JJ are the only two available, is Penix the choice? His completion % under pressure is worse than JJ's.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Nix's only major flaw is lack of a deep passing game, but that could probably be developed. Excellent at moving the ball though. I've seen lots of mocks with him going to the Saints or Broncos.

Here's a question for everyone. If Penix and JJ are the only two available, is Penix the choice? His completion % under pressure is worse than JJ's.
JJ is going top 15. He's not really an option. I think the coaches lean Penix anyway.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
So really, if you were to make a simple pro/con list, Nix is the standout, and has the most first place stats of all of them with seven. None of the others have more than two. Penix has one (deep yds), and JJ has none. But he's 21, so I'll give him a bit of a pass, since he hasn't had as much time to develop his game yet. All of them have flaws though, and all of them are a compromise of sorts. Must be a typo on the adjusted completion though. Daniels is listed at 97.6%, which is probably 77.6%. There's a bit of something here for everyone, depending on scheme fit and what your needs are. Very interesting.
It was indeed a typo, thanking for noticing it.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Nix and Penix are the 2 most pro ready QB's. I'd be happy with either one. Nix looked good at the combine. His arm is Kirk cousins like, good not great.
Neither was Joe Montana's. A big arm is a blessing and a curse, boys blessed with big arms often failed to develop the skill and footwork at younger age as that arm could do it all.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
This is really interesting info. I'm really at a loss to how college numbers translate (or don't) across to the NFL but I will note that only 1 QB in the NFL had a longer time-to-throw than Caleb which was Justin Fields.

I know college guys typically have more time in the pocket than NFL QBs do, but being ranked 165th still seems... not good?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
This is really interesting info. I'm really at a loss to how college numbers translate (or don't) across to the NFL but I will note that only 1 QB in the NFL had a longer time-to-throw than Caleb which was Justin Fields.

I know college guys typically have more time in the pocket than NFL QBs do, but being ranked 165th still seems... not good?
I suspect that Celab loved hero balls, those film clips always made the network TV and boosts his drafting stocks. Remember Russell Wilson?

The thing is Celab enjoyed wilsonesque running around outside the pocket, but his connection under pressure is very poor.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The way things are going, none of the top 5 QBs will even be an option for us. Russ was cut, Vikings expect Cousins to look around. And Mayfield left TB.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Nix actually called a lot of plays, and when he didn’t they would send in 2-3 plays and he would decide which one he wanted to run.
Thank you for that knowledge, I didn't know that.