Interesting grading for QB of class 2024

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
The way things are going, none of the top 5 QBs will even be an option for us. Russ was cut, Vikings expect Cousins to look around. And Mayfield left TB.
I thought the word is Tampa is going to try and resign Baker but he isn't planning on taking a 'hometown' discount. But they just re-signed Evans to one of the highest receiver contracts in the league in part to 'lure' Baker back into the fold.

But I know there is a lot of talk now about Las Vegas wanting to try and move up in the draft, so yeah, it could be a run on QBs this year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Elway had a big arm, it took injuries for him to become a complete QB and learn to finesse passes that and a running game to support him after he could not Highlight reel the team to victories.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Neither was Joe Montana's. A big arm is a blessing and a curse, boys blessed with big arms often failed to develop the skill and footwork at younger age as that arm could do it all.
The most important tool for a QB is what is between the ears, that being said I think the paradigm in the NFL has shifted a bit. Most of the top QB's in the NFL have rockets these days. Mahomes can throw it from any angle, off balance and huck it down the field as can many of the other top QBs. We're seeing really athletic QB's that are rough develop into viable passers. The game has become very refined and the athletes on both sides of the ball are of a different caliber

It makes sense too given the landscape of the NFL. Teams as a whole have gotten a whole lot more athletic, everyone is quicker and closes ground faster. Geno Smith is considered "slow" by NFL standards these days, but back in the 90s and 2000s he would have been considered one of the most mobile QB's in the NFL. I haven't watched much of Bo Nix with scrutiny yet, so I can't specifically comment on the guy himself.

GemCity

Reaction score
The way things are going, none of the top 5 QBs will even be an option for us. Russ was cut, Vikings expect Cousins to look around. And Mayfield left TB.
This. I don’t think we’ll even have a chance to grab a top 5 QB…at pick 16.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
This. I don’t think we’ll even have a chance to grab a top 5 QB…at pick 16.
That really depends on who you think the top 5 are, because depending on which guy you think #6, one of McCarthy, Nix, or Penix should be available, I think. Just depends on if Schneider and Macdonald actually want any of those guys (or the one who's still available, anyways).

(Current consensus draft has both Penix and Nix getting drafted in the 40s, actually. Who knows how good any of this forecasting is, but it seems like QBs tend to be overrated by talking heads vs. underrated.)

GemCity

Reaction score
That really depends on who you think the top 5 are, because depending on which guy you think #6, one of McCarthy, Nix, or Penix should be available, I think. Just depends on if Schneider and Macdonald actually want any of those guys (or the one who's still available, anyways).

(Current consensus draft has both Penix and Nix getting drafted in the 40s, actually. Who knows how good any of this forecasting is, but it seems like QBs tend to be overrated by talking heads vs. underrated.)
Going to be interesting. I can’t recall this many teams in need of a QB in quite awhile.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
The teams that are on the list to draft a QB are also drafting other positions it will depend on their draft board. Good drafting teams will not reach on a QB just because it is one of the team needs

i am expecting the 2 top picks to be QBs than the real draft will start. I am thinking the Hawks will trade back in the 1st round to recoup the 2nd rd pick they lost in the Williams trade. I would be surprised if a QB is taken before the 4th rd if at all

CPHawk

Reaction score
Roughly ten teams, right? It's actually possible all six top qb's could be gone by 16. Not likely, but possible.
Yep. Which sucks, because next years class doesn’t look great. There is a real scenario where 6 QBs are off the board and 4 WRs, before we even pick at 16.

But the positive is that there is a decent chance no top defensive player gets drafted before we pick.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't want to change your mind. Bo is a good QB. Shoot, like who you want, that's what it's all about. This entire thing is a crap shoot anyway.
I just don't think he's as good as some of the other QB's.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I don't want to change your mind. Bo is a good QB. Shoot, like who you want, that's what it's all about. This entire thing is a crap shoot anyway.
I just don't think he's as good as some of the other QB's.
He's not as good as Caleb or Jayden. That's clear.

But his film is better & more consistent than the others. He's not necessarily flashy. But his overall game should translate well. He has a good compact release. His footwork & mechanics are solid. He's athletic enough to make plays out of structure when needed. He's a quick processor. The ball is out fast & on time. His numbers when pressured are the best among the group by far. He's described as a leader & film junkie. There's a lot to like.

Basically, the more film you watch on him, the more you end up liking him. That would be my recommendation for you. Try to look past the whole Oregon thing. Because I would bet that he ends up being one of the better QB's in this draft.

Look, I like Penix. But his durability & mobility really worries me. Those are two huge variables to playing the position in the modern NFL. It's difficult to look past that.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Bo is probably 4th or 5th best QB in this draft. And no, it's not because he's a Duck. Even my friends that are duck fans don't like his upside. That says a lot.

Caleb looks like Ryan Leaf 2.0, dude is more focused on himself than anything. Will be very interesting to see how he pans out. He also plays sloppy and is a turnover machine. Good player, but I can see Jayden being a much better pro. Just a hunch, that's all.

Penix is better than JJ or Nix, imo.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
He's not as good as Caleb or Jayden. That's clear.

But his film is better & more consistent than the others. He's not necessarily flashy. But his overall game should translate well. He has a good compact release. His footwork & mechanics are solid. He's athletic enough to make plays out of structure when needed. He's a quick processor. The ball is out fast & on time. His numbers when pressured are the best among the group by far. He's described as a leader & film junkie. There's a lot to like.

Basically, the more film you watch on him, the more you end up liking him. That would be my recommendation for you. Try to look past the whole Oregon thing. Because I would bet that he ends up being one of the better QB's in this draft.

Look, I like Penix. But his durability & mobility really worries me. Those are two huge variables to playing the position in the modern NFL. It's difficult to look past that.
Penix is plenty mobile, he just doesn't do it often at all. I'd like to see him do it more to at least extend plays but in his mind set he'd rather kill the play because he knows he'll make the next throw.
A few nice runs in this highlight film from Indiana. He had Indiana balling and nationally ranked.

Last edited:

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
I like Penix for 2 reasons

1. Intermediate and deep ball throws. Best in this draft.

2. I'm a huge Husky fan, so I'm biased.
I love the talent - a very skilled guy to be sure - but not sure it will translate to the NFL. All too often when he was pressured his primary reaction was to heave a 50/50 ball up for Odunze to catch. I don't think that will work in the NFL. Yet, he has talent and if we do end up with him, I think he is certainly teachable.

FWIW - Odunze is ridiculous and I think might be the best receiver in this draft.