Interesting grading for QB of class 2024

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love how many people don't think he will pan out in the NFL. And that's fine, I just look forward to him proving people wrong.
He feeds off being told what he can't do.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I love the talent - a very skilled guy to be sure - but not sure it will translate to the NFL. All too often when he was pressured his primary reaction was to heave a 50/50 ball up for Odunze to catch. I don't think that will work in the NFL. Yet, he has talent and if we do end up with him, I think he is certainly teachable.

FWIW - Odunze is ridiculous and I think might be the best receiver in this draft.

He showed the ability to buy time in the pocket, roll out and throw on the run, etc. you're right, though, he did throw some jump balls, but I think he's coachable.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Odunze would be the best if Marvin Harrison Jr didn't exist. He's maybe the best WR I've seen in college in 20 years.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Odunze would be the best if Marvin Harrison Jr didn't exist. He's maybe the best WR I've seen in college in 20 years.
I didn't watch Harrison as much as Odunze - but watched enough to know Harrison is a legit #1 - but damn.........Odunze just looked like a man among boys out there.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I didn't see much of MHJ. What does he do better than Odunze?
The kid runs routes like his dad. Top notch route runner in the NFL.

Rome is more of the athlete. Very good at contested catches.

Malik Nabers might have the most upside of the three tbh.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I didn't see much of MHJ. What does he do better than Odunze?
Odunze is a top 5 kind of WR -- I don't want to take anything away from him. His hands are top notch and he finds the ball in the air as good as anyone.

MHJ is an incredible route runner, incredible spec catch guy, and had 1,200 yards on 67 catches in an offense that wasn't nearly as pass-heavy as similar leaders. He gets open better than anyone I've seen in 20 years and has comparable hands to Odunze.

WarHawks

Reaction score
“He had that great bowl game but I think he’s just very common,” said the Midwest scout for an NFC team. “He’s a bony, very thin kind of guy. God, you can see his ribs on his build. His arm is just adequate.

“That bowl game against Alabama, he was just unconscious. Other than that, I didn’t like him. One thing he doesn’t do is force a lot of balls. He competed and hung in there. Smart guy. That's it.”

“Tough, will take hit to deliver the ball. Durable, but not real strong. Not overly quick setting up. Comes on balance to throw. Doesn’t throw a tight ball; it waffles a lot. Puts lots of air under his deep balls. Lacks deep-ball accuracy; will underthrow. Limited pocket movement. Has weight down to improve his quickness and mobility. Can throw on the move.

“Lacks nimbleness and foot quickness in the pocket. Not a runner or a scrambler. Labors. Has winning ways. Can bring them back. Not real gifted or natural as a passer. Does not throw a tight ball. Does not have a big-time arm. Backup at best; don’t see him as a starter. Worth bringing to camp. May make some teams.”

“Outstanding leader." “Priest-like personality. Calm, wise and thoughtful. He’s accepting of what comes his way. Doesn’t appear to be dynamic. Has a calming demeanor. Well-liked, class kid. Has work ethic. Respected by his teammates. Two supportive parents who attend every game.”

Sound familiar? Tom Brady quotes before he was drafted.

CactusJack

Reaction score
“He had that great bowl game but I think he’s just very common,” said the Midwest scout for an NFC team. “He’s a bony, very thin kind of guy. God, you can see his ribs on his build. His arm is just adequate.

“That bowl game against Alabama, he was just unconscious. Other than that, I didn’t like him. One thing he doesn’t do is force a lot of balls. He competed and hung in there. Smart guy. That's it.”

“Tough, will take hit to deliver the ball. Durable, but not real strong. Not overly quick setting up. Comes on balance to throw. Doesn’t throw a tight ball; it waffles a lot. Puts lots of air under his deep balls. Lacks deep-ball accuracy; will underthrow. Limited pocket movement. Has weight down to improve his quickness and mobility. Can throw on the move.

“Lacks nimbleness and foot quickness in the pocket. Not a runner or a scrambler. Labors. Has winning ways. Can bring them back. Not real gifted or natural as a passer. Does not throw a tight ball. Does not have a big-time arm. Backup at best; don’t see him as a starter. Worth bringing to camp. May make some teams.”

“Outstanding leader." “Priest-like personality. Calm, wise and thoughtful. He’s accepting of what comes his way. Doesn’t appear to be dynamic. Has a calming demeanor. Well-liked, class kid. Has work ethic. Respected by his teammates. Two supportive parents who attend every game.”

Tough, leader, outstanding work ethic, winner.

Sound familiar? Quotes about Tim Tebow. ;)

There's been plenty of QB's who have won in college. That couldn't play in the NFL.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score

it matters so much where these kids land. Say what you want about harbaugh, he's a QB whisperer. Just watch what happens to Herbert this year. He's going to light it up. Mcarthy could be the next GOAT but if he lands at a shit team he's hosed.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Yep, it's a roll of the dice, for sure.
The main thing when evaluating a player, is how good is his film? You can try & predict what he'll be in 3 years. But I always go back to the film when making a decision on a guy. Can he actually play? Does he standout? Are there things about his game that will translate? Etc.

McCarthy has some positives. But there's also some uncertainty. He wasn't asked to do a whole lot. Is he a guy who can have more of an impact at the next level? Can you ask him to throw the ball 35-40x a game & still be as productive? Honestly, when watching his film, I don't know the answer to that question. That's why there's some pushback on him. It's completely understandable from that perspective.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
Yep. Although, whatever he's been asked to do, he does it, so there's really nothing that indicates that he can't do it, just that he hasn't needed to to yet, because of the system he played in. In a perfect world, you could get someone like that in the 2nd or 3rd and see how it plays out. Unfortunately, qb's are in too high of demand now, and that is no longer the world we live in. Definitely a gamble, for sure. They all are.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
I would love to see Rattler on that list. He would be a great 3rd round value QB. Sits a year, puts some bulk on, plays in a few Preseason game.

He has got the 2nd best live arm with anticipation in the draft over all except Penix. He is the only one to work out of a pro offense(since jim is going to LA now JJ).