Is Doug Baldwin done?

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Cyrus12":81f3mowf said:
Time to start thinking about what we do to replace him.
This draft I'm sure they'll draft a guy.

My guess is they'll trade the first round of course (not surprising...) and if they happen to get a second round, I think they pick up a receiver.

People might say, "No, they won't."

Did you think they would pick up Rashaad Penny in the first round last year??!!

A wideout with a potential second round pick (should they acquire one) should not be surprising.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I said he was done last year..... looks like some are coming around finally.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Do I think Doug’s the heart and soul...voice for offense. Absolutely.
Do I think Doug will give 110% when he’s on the field? Absolutely.
Do I think Doug will play all 16 games + playoffs in 2019. Can I say, not sure?

Doug’s a warrior....no one doubts that. But a lot of people did not want to see ET get another contract because he couldn’t play 16 games for 2 consecutive years. Doug’s body is breaking down and I fear he’s not going to play all games this year.

And, quite frankly, I’m ok with that. Just wanted to throw the possibly that this may happen....not done, but not 100% either.

James in PA

Reaction score
Time to bring back Kearse to add some depth and insurance. I don’t think Jordy is signing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgentDib

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":q5jh2nfi said:
I said he was done last year..... looks like some are coming around finally.
Except he wasn't done last year? Based on the contracts it's unlikely that he's done this year either. The average career length of a NFL player is 2.5 years and I don't think it's worth special credit to just claim a guy's career is over every year until it comes true.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
James in PA":3k98kg8i said:
Time to bring back Kearse to add some depth and insurance. I don’t think Jordy is signing here.

If Doug is done, or is going to be battling injuries again all year.......we need a WR more dynamic than Kearse. Unfortunately this is one of the worst years ever for WR free agency.

Nelson, Hogan and Crabtree. Those are the crumbs left for WR's now.

toffee

Reaction score
With all the surgeries, and age, Doug's NFL career may not be done, but it's nearing the end. He may still come back and have productive games, may even squeeze a productive season. As a team, it's Pete and John's job to prepare for the inevitable.

I identified WR corp as our weakness last preseason, it remains so this off season.

James in PA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wko5m26j said:
James in PA":wko5m26j said:

If Doug is done, or is going to be battling injuries again all year.......we need a WR more dynamic than Kearse. Unfortunately this is one of the worst years ever for WR free agency.

I know, slim pickens. Given what’s out there, I’d take Kearse if Jordy falls through. At least Kearse is a familiar veteran presence and is still pretty young. He wants to be here too.

toffee

Reaction score
Kearse vs Crabtree, if it’s down to those two?

James in PA

Reaction score
Man, we ain’t signing “a sorry receiver like Crabtree!”

;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
James in PA":2qcd1i2c said:
Sgt. Largent":2qcd1i2c said:
James in PA":2qcd1i2c said:

I know, slim pickens. Given what’s out there, I’d take Kearse if Jordy falls through. At least Kearse is a familiar veteran presence and is still pretty young. He wants to be here too.

If I had to hold my nose and put our choices in order, for me it'd be;

1. Nelson
2. Hogan
3. Kearse
4. Crabtree

Nelson IMO is a good fit, he's rangy, smart and can play outside or in the slot. I could see him developing good chemistry with Russell, even if he has lost a step. But my guess is someone's going to overpay for him because it's such a thin year for WR free agents, and we won't get him.

cheese22

Reaction score
Im not sure i want to go into next season hoping Doug can get back to being our #1 receiver. It doesnt matter how tough or how hard a guy will work to get healthy. At some point every athlete starts to decline. All these surgeries might help with functionality and pain, but they will also speed up the aging process, especially for an athlete.
I think they have to make that position a priority, unless they are convinced the other guys will improve enough to fill the void.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kzaz0va said:
James in PA":3kzaz0va said:

Nelson, Hogan and Crabtree? Who's the best slot receiver among these three.

zchurch74

Reaction score
Kearse is a FA, do we bring him back? IF and a big of Doug misses time who out there should we target?

Crabtree, D Thomas, Hogan to name a few. There are some pretty decent experienced WR out there that could fit right in. I think Hogan would be a great fit and not cost a lot.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bnykjh1 said:
James in PA":3bnykjh1 said:

Just Hogan and Crabtree now.

John63

Reaction score
I do not know if Doug is done, but I question if he will ever be the same, and what we are going to do about it, Moore is not ready to be a #2.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
John63":247vg3i5 said:
I do not know if Doug is done, but I question if he will ever be the same, and what we are going to do about it, Moore is not ready to be a #2.
What Seattle will do:

Trade the first round pick
Get a second round and fourth
Pick up "their" graded 1st round receiver but slips to round 2 (Baldwins successor)
Round 4 draft a defensive tackle to replace Jarran Reed when he leaves
Round 5 draft a defensive end
Round 6 draft a safety
Round 7 draft a linebacker to replace KJ Wright in 2 years

This is how I see it playing out.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Given PCs candidness about Doug’s injuries, another surgery, his availability...I do not believe he’ll play all 16 games in 2019.

That said, the team has time to determine next steps: IMO, I would not be surprised if we draft a WR and/or sign a vet after the draft to compete with WRs under contract.

Yes, we are a run first team, but at one point, we didn’t have Doug, Dissly, and Ed Dickson. Brandon Marshall was no longer effective too. I just cannot see this team go thru another season like this knowing the team will not have these guys on the field.

Doug is not done....but we cannot depend on him playing 16 either. To do so is being unrealistic and not preparing for 2019.

Latest posts