Is our QB giving us $20 million a season's worth?

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1nqm91wd said:
IndyHawk":1nqm91wd said:
vin.couve12":1nqm91wd said:
Skimmed through this and saw what I thought I would. The percentage of the offense stuff doesn't really hold water. If he was the QB that crazies think he is or can be then he would be threatening yardage and touchdown records a la some of the guys who direct an offense to something like 45 to 55 passing TDs. He's certainly not lacking in targets that have put up enormous numbers and the OL pass blocking isn't near as bad as it's made out to be if the QB could stay in the pocket, show real pocket presense, and generally see, while also conducting the offense to a much larger degree.

Everyone wants their QB to be that guy, but you really only have about 3 of them all time maybe. That's just the way it is and RW isn't that guy. He's different.

He's a playmaking game manager.

I don't really think any QB outside of a few is worth 20 mil and I don't think RW is. Maybe 15 to 16 mil would probably be about right.

Either way, the percentage of the offense argument is pretty meaningless when it comes to payscale though. It only highlights ineptitude in the run game, which also reflects on the front office personnel decisions, head coach, and OC, all for multiple, multiple reasons.
I like this take..A very good answer :2thumbs:

Of course you would you the same person
I wish I could post like Vin.
We are not the same I assure you.

Jville

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2ud5ox39 said:
Skimmed through this and saw what I thought I would. The percentage of the offense stuff doesn't really hold water. If he was the QB that crazies think he is or can be then he would be threatening yardage and touchdown records a la some of the guys who direct an offense to something like 45 to 55 passing TDs. He's certainly not lacking in targets that have put up enormous numbers and the OL pass blocking isn't near as bad as it's made out to be if the QB could stay in the pocket, show real pocket presense, and generally see, while also conducting the offense to a much larger degree.

Everyone wants their QB to be that guy, but you really only have about 3 of them all time maybe. That's just the way it is and RW isn't that guy. He's different.

He's a playmaking game manager.

I don't really think any QB outside of a few is worth 20 mil and I don't think RW is. Maybe 15 to 16 mil would probably be about right.

Either way, the percentage of the offense argument is pretty meaningless when it comes to payscale though. It only highlights ineptitude in the run game, which also reflects on the front office personnel decisions, head coach, and OC, all for multiple, multiple reasons.

Wilson reminds me of Fran Tarkenton. Very similar make up of pluses and minuses. Both drafted in the third round. Both smart and adaptive. Both a challenge for everyone on the field including their own blockers and receivers. Both a reflection of shared traits. Pete Carroll consulted with Bud Grant about Fran Tarkenton and that offense before drafting Russell Wilson. Tarkenton and Wilson may not be the best that ever played the game. But, they do have fun and entertain.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I can agree with that. Always thought that was his best comp. Some really dangerous teams with those purple people eaters too.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ayc09kq0 said:
Not only is it the market for top QB's, if you can't see how much he is worth the $, not sure you ever will.
He literally carries the team. Before, people would claim it was because of the Running game and D that he was successful. Um.....he has NO running game, a weak O Line and the D has been very up and down due to incredible injuries. Yet, here he is on the doorstep of 10 or more wins for the 6th straight season.
Do you think we win the superbowl this year?

If so...OK.

If not, what's the point of him carrying the offense? What purpose does it serve to fall short of the goal?

Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate RW's never say die attitude. To go out there and lay it all out every game.

However, this is why I don't really care about how much he's carried the team in regards to payscale specifically. If we can't win it all with RW carrying the team then:
HauntingRealisticAmazonparrot max 1mb

The goal is to win championships. Not to be the Seattle Russell Wilsons. I think he’s an awesome player who can be extremely efficient, in the right circumstances, and help the team win said championships. I don't think 18 mil for this year is terrible for sure, but I also know that he's not going to be that orchestrator that throws 45 to 55 TDs, which as history shows, generally doesn't win championships either. I guess my problem is that I'm much more of a strong team guy than player worshiper and don't agree with these teams that throw huge contracts at an Obi-Wan prayer. I just don't agree. Ain't no fun if the homies can't have none (SB rings, that is).

semiahmoo

Reaction score
vin.couve12":11xygmr6 said:
SoulfishHawk":11xygmr6 said:
Not only is it the market for top QB's, if you can't see how much he is worth the $, not sure you ever will.
He literally carries the team. Before, people would claim it was because of the Running game and D that he was successful. Um.....he has NO running game, a weak O Line and the D has been very up and down due to incredible injuries. Yet, here he is on the doorstep of 10 or more wins for the 6th straight season.

If so...OK.

If not, what's the point of him carrying the offense? What purpose does it serve to fall short of the goal?

Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate RW's never say die attitude. To go out there and lay it all out every game.

However, this is why I don't really care about how much he's carried the team in regards to payscale specifically. If we can't win it all with RW carrying the team then:

The goal is to win championships. Not to be the Seattle Russell Wilsons. I think he’s an awesome player who can be extremely efficient, in the right circumstances, and help the team win said championships. I don't think 18 mil for this year is terrible for sure, but I also know that he's not going to be that orchestrator that throws 45 to 55 TDs, which as history shows, generally doesn't win championships either. I guess my problem is that I'm much more of a strong team guy than player worshiper and don't agree with these teams that throw huge contracts at an Obi-Wan prayer. I just don't agree. Ain't no fun if the homies can't have none (SB rings, that is).

Compelling take.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like he has a choice to do anything BUT carry the team. Zero running game, zero blocking, and the D crapping the bed many times this season :roll:
When or if he ever gets injured, people are going to quickly realize how much he means to this team. Be ready for 4 or 5 win season, because w/out him, that's what you'll get.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3j8sn8pz said:
Like he has a choice to do anything BUT carry the team. Zero running game, zero blocking, and the D crapping the bed many times this season :roll:
When or if he ever gets injured, people are going to quickly realize how much he means to this team. Be ready for 4 or 5 win season, because w/out him, that's what you'll get.
Not what I'm talking about, but it's moot anyway. RW isn't going anywhere and I don’t necessarily think he should.

We'll have to restructure the skill positions money wise and really invest in the running game and we might even have to make some really hard decisions on defense, but if we can balance this out next year, we shouldn't even be talking about this and maybe even have a legitimate shot at the division, conference, and superbowl.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":h50you7o said:
vin.couve12":h50you7o said:
SoulfishHawk":h50you7o said:

If so...OK.

Compelling take.
Great take and this is what I was trying to get at but Vin simplified it.
The Fran comparison is pretty much right on.
In fact the Hawks were set up a lot like the Vikings if you remember those days.
I sure do as the Vikings seemed to be on every week before the Hawks began.

adeltaY

Reaction score
How many QBs have even thrown for 45+ TDs? Off the top of my head I can think of Brady, Marino, Manning twice, and Rodgers. There's no way we can expect Russ to do that, especially in the current system.

We've rushed 20 times with RBs inside the 5 and have ZERO yards. Total. Meanwhile, Russ has 3 rushes for 3 TDs. The offense is broken and Russ isn't close to being a main problem.

I can't think of another QB who has as bad a supporting cast as Wilson who is playing remotely as well as he is. Stafford maybe as has more passing yards but six fewer TDs and only one fewer pick, plus four more lost fumbles. They also have nine rushing TDs by RBs and Abdullah has more than double Carson rush yards. That's the closest example and it isn't really that close.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Is his 20 mil really holding the team back from improving elsewhere though?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Who could they sign with the extra money? Could've had Mitchell schwartz on a pretty cheap contract a couple years ago even with Russ contract smh

idahohawk

Reaction score
What a waste of bandwidth.

IndyHawk":1ate6ssq said:
This is a question and not meant to flame anyone so let's be civil here.
I was watching Oakland with their great OL and yes great RB so here we are.
Honestly I feel like with PC as coach he is not and it may not be on him.
We won a SB with a game manager,great D and great RB so that may be all we need?
On RW end I feel like he is limited in seeing the field and locks on one Wr too much.
I also do not feel he takes control like an elite would and lead the offense.
I guess at this stage I feel like we should be seeing more from him (audibles/checking off).
The not stepping into the pocket or being lazy at it gets to me.He is not getting faster.
My answer again at this point is no and I'm not so sure it gets better with any OC.
:icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: