Is Russell Wilson worth extending?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
edogg23":2s7upptk said:
I think buried in this crap pile of a thread is a legitimate salary cap question of if the Seahawks can compete for a Superbowl without having the advantage of all the extra money they are afforded by having a probowl qb on a rookie contract. Problem is, there isn't much they can do about it, other than try their hardest to get Russell to sign for a contract similar to Kaep.
Yes we have been spoiled. Problem is we expect to continue the discounted salary for a two - time probowler and NFL champion who set several records his first few years. Some will say he's a step above average but hey the man is only in his third year and improving. He's proven to be a durable playmaker that could put other teams over the top. You think Russell ever dreams of throwing to guys like Fitzgerald? I bet he does.
He probably had better talent at Wisconsin--atleast he had reliable receivers in Abbrederis and Toon. His Wisconsin O line was not a MASH unit like it is here. And he was not running in circles for 8 seconds like some you 12s think.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":2132thzu said:
lobohawk":2132thzu said:
For comparison, here are the top 15 contracts out there. Wold list the guaranteed amount, as it varies a lot but I suck at forum lists. Timing of contracts is obviously important, as older ones generally don't compare to more recent ones. Thus Kap's is a useful comparison. He has the lowest guaranteed at 11.4%, which is 20-30% less than most of the others.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Avg./Year
Aaron Rodgers $22,000,000
Matt Ryan $20,750,000
Joe Flacco $20,100,000
Drew Brees $20,000,000
Peyton Manning $19,200,000
Colin Kaepernick $19,000,000 (total: $114,000,000 )
Jay Cutler $18,100,000
Tony Romo $18,000,000
Alex Smith $17,000,000
Eli Manning $16,250,000
Andy Dalton $16,000,000
Philip Rivers $15,300,000
Ben Roethlisberger $14,664,417
Sam Bradford $13,000,000
Tom Brady $11,400,000
And all but two or three of those are complete franchise killers and the team would take them back in a second if given the chance. Just because everybody else is paying their QB big money does not mean it is a good idea to do so. I'd rather roll the dice that Schneider can find another half-mil running QB in the next couple of years.

Hmm interesting since the odds on finding another half mill QB that can do what Wilson does is slim you would rather wait another 25 years to be a SB contender then resign Wilson to say 18-20 and be in the hunt or years to come. Hmm glad your not the FO

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Tical21":1a5ibx0x said:
I'd rather roll the dice that Schneider can find another half-mil running QB in the next couple of years.
Alright let's see what "rolling the dice" for a QB in the first 3 rounds of the draft has resulted in recently....

Bortles - Bad QB
Manziel - Bad QB
Bridgewater - Bad QB
Carr - Mediocre-at-best QB
Garoppolo- TBD, looked great in limited time

EJ Manuel- Bad QB
Geno Smith- Terrible QB
Mike Glennon- Mediocre-at-best QB

Andrew Luck- Great QB (1 playoff win)
RG3 - Injury prone QB
Ryan Tannehill- Mediocre QB
Brandon Weeden- Bad QB
Brock Osweiler - Bad QB
Russell Wilson- Great QB (4 Playoff Wins, Super Bowl Title) - The one you want to get rid of after 2015
Nick Foles - Above Average QB

Cam Newton - Below-Average QB
Jake Locker - Injury Prone QB
Blaine Gabbert- Bad QB
Christian Ponder- Bad QB
Andy Dalton - Below-Average QB
Kaepernick - Good QB (4 Playoff Wins)
Ryan Mallett - TBD, Looks mediocre QB

Sam Bradford- Below-average, Injury-Prone QB
Tim Tebow- Below-average QB that was run out of the league because he is polarizing figure (1 playoff win)
Jimmy Clausen - Bad QB
Colt McCoy- Bad QB

As you can see, Great QBs in the first 3 rounds of the draft just grow on trees. Out of the last 5 QB Classes they have combined for 10 playoff wins (Wilson 4, Kap 4, Tebow 1, Luck 1)... so 4 of the 10 to Wilson. But somehow you want to "roll-the-dice" for another QB? LOL, what a joke.

Sac

Reaction score
RunTheBall":16u13nmi said:
Tical21":16u13nmi said:
I'd rather roll the dice that Schneider can find another half-mil running QB in the next couple of years.
Alright let's see what "rolling the dice" for a QB in the first 3 rounds of the draft has resulted in recently....

Bortles - Bad QB
Manziel - Bad QB
Bridgewater - Bad QB

EJ Manuel- Bad QB
Geno Smith- Terrible QB

RG3 - Injury prone QB
Brandon Weeden- Bad QB
Brock Osweiler - Bad QB
Russell Wilson- Great QB (4 Playoff Wins, Super Bowl Title) - The one you want to get rid of after 2015

Blaine Gabbert- Bad QB
Christian Ponder- Bad QB

Tim Tebow- Below-average QB that was run out of the league because he is polarizing figure (1 playoff win)
Jimmy Clausen - Bad QB
Colt McCoy- Bad QB

As you can see, Great QBs in the first 3 rounds of the draft just grow on trees. Out of the last 5 QB Classes they have combined for 10 playoff wins (Wilson 4, Kap 4, Tebow 1, Luck 1)... so 4 of the 10 to Wilson. But somehow you want to "roll-the-dice" for another QB? LOL, what a joke.

Everything you've just said here is 100% true. Well done.

frosted21

Reaction score
Anthony!":8zicrv9z said:
Tical21":8zicrv9z said:
lobohawk":8zicrv9z said:
For comparison, here are the top 15 contracts out there. Wold list the guaranteed amount, as it varies a lot but I suck at forum lists. Timing of contracts is obviously important, as older ones generally don't compare to more recent ones. Thus Kap's is a useful comparison. He has the lowest guaranteed at 11.4%, which is 20-30% less than most of the others.

Avg./Year
Matt Ryan $20,750,000
Joe Flacco $20,100,000
Drew Brees $20,000,000
Jay Cutler $18,100,000
Tony Romo $18,000,000
Alex Smith $17,000,000
Eli Manning $16,250,000
Andy Dalton $16,000,000
Sam Bradford $13,000,000
Tom Brady $11,400,000
And all but two or three of those are complete franchise killers and the team would take them back in a second if given the chance. Just because everybody else is paying their QB big money does not mean it is a good idea to do so. I'd rather roll the dice that Schneider can find another half-mil running QB in the next couple of years.

Hmm interesting since the odds on finding another half mill QB that can do what Wilson does is slim you would rather wait another 25 years to be a SB contender then resign Wilson to say 18-20 and be in the hunt or years to come. Hmm glad your not the FO

Anthony = Purple Blouse

Tical21

Reaction score
RunTheBall":gxnkjmqg said:
Tical21":gxnkjmqg said:

Bortles - Bad QB
Manziel - Bad QB
Bridgewater - Bad QB

EJ Manuel- Bad QB
Geno Smith- Terrible QB

RG3 - Injury prone QB
Brandon Weeden- Bad QB
Brock Osweiler - Bad QB

Blaine Gabbert- Bad QB
Christian Ponder- Bad QB

Jimmy Clausen - Bad QB
Colt McCoy- Bad QB

That is a little unfair. A whole bunch of those guys have not had nearly enough time to be judged. If we had judged Russell Wilson through 10 starts, he would be on the bad list too. Also, every single one of those QB's has had a lesser running game and defense than Russell has. A bunch of them would have done quite well on our team. I have seen a bunch of great QB's over the past 30 years, and the version of Russell we've been watching lately isn't one of them. There aren't more than a couple QB's I would consider paying that kind of money to, and I don't think he's one of them. We want to build our team around running and playing defense, right? So let's find another cheap, running QB and keep with the blueprint that just won us a Superbowl.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Tical21":2pbv2tj0 said:
[
-"That is a little unfair. A whole bunch of those guys have not had nearly enough time to be judged."

-Ah but everyone saying our 2013/2014 draft classes are a failure already is fair though? Well alright then, you can throw out the 2014 class if it makes you feel better.

-"and If we had judged Russell Wilson through 10 starts, he would be on the bad list too."

-Not true at all, after 10 starts he had recently beats the Patriots, Jets and Vikings and started to look like a good QB, No one would say he was bad at that point, maybe mediocre

Anthony!

Reaction score
frosted21":1grz7koj said:
Anthony!":1grz7koj said:
Tical21":1grz7koj said:
lobohawk":1grz7koj said:

Avg./Year
Matt Ryan $20,750,000
Joe Flacco $20,100,000
Drew Brees $20,000,000
Jay Cutler $18,100,000
Tony Romo $18,000,000
Alex Smith $17,000,000
Eli Manning $16,250,000
Andy Dalton $16,000,000
Sam Bradford $13,000,000
Tom Brady $11,400,000

Anthony = Purple Blouse

HUH

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Tical21":36jkxpti said:
I have seen a bunch of great QB's over the past 30 years, and the version of Russell we've been watching lately isn't one of them. There aren't more than a couple QB's I would consider paying that kind of money to, and I don't think he's one of them. We want to build our team around running and playing defense, right? So let's find another cheap, running QB and keep with the blueprint that just won us a Superbowl.
So you want another cheap "running QB" that throws for over 50 TD passes his first 2 seasons? Please tell me now who in the next 2 draft classes will do this. I want names of current college QBs that will be available late in the 1st Round of the 2015/2016 draft that will match Wilson's Passing TDs his first two seasons.

Currently there are only 3 QBs that have thrown for 50+ TD passes in their first two years they are
-Peyton Manning
-Dan Marino
-Russell Wilson

Also, let's say we end up giving Wilson ~18 Mil a year, I mean that would totally just kill our cap situation, I mean the salary cap isn't going to skyrocket the next few years or anything.... oh wait....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-in-2016/

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":1efim3dg said:
RunTheBall":1efim3dg said:
Tical21":1efim3dg said:

Bortles - Bad QB
Manziel - Bad QB
Bridgewater - Bad QB

EJ Manuel- Bad QB
Geno Smith- Terrible QB

RG3 - Injury prone QB
Brandon Weeden- Bad QB
Brock Osweiler - Bad QB

Blaine Gabbert- Bad QB
Christian Ponder- Bad QB

Jimmy Clausen - Bad QB
Colt McCoy- Bad QB

That is a little unfair. A whole bunch of those guys have not had nearly enough time to be judged. If we had judged Russell Wilson through 10 starts, he would be on the bad list too. Also, every single one of those QB's has had a lesser running game and defense than Russell has. A bunch of them would have done quite well on our team. I have seen a bunch of great QB's over the past 30 years, and the version of Russell we've been watching lately isn't one of them. There aren't more than a couple QB's I would consider paying that kind of money to, and I don't think he's one of them. We want to build our team around running and playing defense, right? So let's find another cheap, running QB and keep with the blueprint that just won us a Superbowl.

a bunch of them have had more talent around them then Wilson has had. As to the rest pretty typical coming up with excuses to ignore the fact that the poste said. Also thaty was not the blue print that won us a football, it was defense, good running game of which the QB is part and a mobile QB who can make plays, make up for a bad pass blocking oline and bad WR corps, and again looking at that list we found the only one. So lets let Wilson walk and wait another 25 years to find one. You see the biggest problem with you ridiculous idea is Wilson doe so much more for this team then you give him credit for, that replacing him is far from easy. If it was so easy PC would not have needed 2 years to find one. Oh and by the way Wilson was judged during his rookie year, most of these QBs have had at least 1 year that is enough, I mean after all you are judging Wilson based on only 3 games, forgetting all the games he has won us, were most QBs would have lost them.

again I will end with thank god your not the FO, because if you were we would be the laughing stock of the NFL for the next 25 years waiting for another franchise QB.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RunTheBall":rdtuxpp5 said:
Tical21":rdtuxpp5 said:
I have seen a bunch of great QB's over the past 30 years, and the version of Russell we've been watching lately isn't one of them. There aren't more than a couple QB's I would consider paying that kind of money to, and I don't think he's one of them. We want to build our team around running and playing defense, right? So let's find another cheap, running QB and keep with the blueprint that just won us a Superbowl.
So you want another cheap "running QB" that throws for over 50 TD passes his first 2 seasons? Please tell me now who in the next 2 draft classes will do this. I want names of current college QBs that will be available late in the 1st Round of the 2015/2016 draft that will match Wilson's Passing TDs his first two seasons.

Currently there are only 3 QBs that have thrown for 50+ TD passes in their first two years they are
-Peyton Manning
-Dan Marino
-Russell Wilson

Good points, add in all the other records he has set to include most 4thqtr/OT winning drives in his first 2.5 years. So if we can easily get a Running QB that can do what Wilson does how come none has done what Wilson has done before. I mean to Tical21 they are a dime a dozen. So why is it Wilson was the first QB to run for over 100 and throw for over 200 on Monday night football, and to run for over 100 and throw for over 300 in the NFL why is it Wilson is the first QB to have QB ratings over 100 his 1st 2 years in the league, I mean theyre a dime a dozen and yet only Wilson has done this. What this boils down to Tical21 is Wilson being in a bad 3 game stretch. Could you magine if he was the FO when luck had 4 straight game sunder 72 qb rating and under 54% cimplt% as a rookie, Or played as bad in the playoffs as Luck has. OR When Brady in his 3rd year had 3 straight games of under 75 qb rating, or in the same year 3 more under 68. Or manning in his 3rd year with 3 straight games under 74 qb rating and complt% under 54%.

All QBs go through slumps but when deciding to resign or not you look at the whole body of work and for his body to date Wilson has been exceptional and not someone you replace with any mobile QB Only a moron would think that, and I do not believe our FO are morons.

lobohawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1ydyozqf said:
Interesting a top 3 QB in the NFL according to that salary chart-Tom Brady $11,400,000..Wow and look at how strong his team looks every year..He has more rings than anyone so by some peoples thinking -shouldn't he be making $30 million?

Most likely due to his already getting paid, the tail end of his contract, and he's married to someone richer than him.

lobohawk

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":4bvzklxd said:
kearly":4bvzklxd said:
Like the Mannings, RW wants to own his own NFL team. Doing so will require A LOT of money. He won't be looking for discounts come contract time, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he insisted on a shorter deal to hit his next payday sooner (so as to take full advantage of NFL salary inflation).

And I won't hold it against him one bit.

You do all realize that the Russell Wilson brand depends on being on a successful team. They estimate that his 2014 earnings off the field already is at $7 million, which is top 5 in the NFL and growing.

Russell is probably smart enough to realize that taking $18 million vs. $25 million, sure he's making $7 million more on one contract but that also completely hampers the team's ability to improve in other areas. He takes a bit less, and if he's on a competitive team, he's in the public eye, and it boosts his endorsement deals too which have always generated higher cash flow for professional athletes.

Russell is a fan favorite among non-Seahawk fans. In fact behind Manning he's really the most popular player in the NFL among non-Seahawk fans I would argue, which is MASSIVE for endorsements.

Wilson is the caliber of athlete who can generate his own brand and thus makes him less dependent on a massive NFL QB deal. Of course he'll get his pay day, but he's not going to max out the Seahawks. Guys like Flacco or Alex Smith or Carson Palmer are just not of the potential brand value that Russell Wilson is, plain and simple.

Yup. Endorsements are where it's at. Jordan afforded his ownership off of endorsements and not contracts and those are usually tied to winning more than anything.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
There's something morbidly fascinating about how we go about our attempts to assign an appropriate financial value on a person playing this game. After reading about how paraplegic's tend to be equally as happy as lottery winners after both parties have had a year to adjust to their new lifestyles and how the correlations between increases in happiness and increases in salary tend to mostly evaporate by the time people are making more than 120k a year, I'm not sure our players' contracts even matter that much.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3o2ix8es said:
Sgt. Largent":3o2ix8es said:
Anthony!":3o2ix8es said:
Rw will get between 18-20 a year, it will not be like Kaps at all. That is presuming he wants to stay here, which might not be as much of a lock as you think.

It's the lock of the century.

I know our judgement gets clouded because we all spend time here reading utter lunacy...........but Pete, John and Paul Allen love Russell probably more than their own children. No way in hell they let him go anywhere.

He's going to be locked up for at least 6 years, maybe longer.

Again they may love him but he wants to be known as a great , Elite QB and he will struggle to do that has this team is currently constructed. The oline is bad a pass blocking, he has no #1 wr or a WR that will make a play, and it is a run first team. I want Wilson to be resigned but everyone keeps forgetting it is about what Wilson wants and he wants to be the best and as our team is constructed he is not set up to be the best
You understand the problem now finally...You can't pay the guy huge mega $$ and expect the other weak spots to get fixed when there is no cap room to fix anything and thats just the offensive side of it...Weaken the defense to pay for everything and we won't win anymore Super Bowls so pick your poison..It's up to RW if he wants to keep going through what he does now or help the situation with a Kap like structured contract..He will NEVER just walk ..They will trade him for picks(high ones) before that happens and it may happen..I don't want the guy gone but I also root for the Hawks team not just 1 player and I expect a strong team not one with a strong qb with little else..

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
This is a silly thread. I'm off to begin a new one: Could Russell Wilson Create A Boulder So Large That He Cannot Lift It?

NYCoug

Reaction score
What a difference 9 months makes, huh?! Screw that. What a difference 3 weeks makes hahaha

Cue Russell going on a 3 game tear and people drawing up imaginary 25 million dollar per year, lifetime contracts.

Bipolar disorder is a serious matter. Some of you need to be diagnosed and treated immediately.

Anthony!

Reaction score
IndyHawk":299hjgp0 said:
Anthony!":299hjgp0 said:
Sgt. Largent":299hjgp0 said:
Anthony!":299hjgp0 said:
Rw will get between 18-20 a year, it will not be like Kaps at all. That is presuming he wants to stay here, which might not be as much of a lock as you think.

It's the lock of the century.

I know our judgement gets clouded because we all spend time here reading utter lunacy...........but Pete, John and Paul Allen love Russell probably more than their own children. No way in hell they let him go anywhere.

He's going to be locked up for at least 6 years, maybe longer.

Again they may love him but he wants to be known as a great , Elite QB and he will struggle to do that has this team is currently constructed. The oline is bad a pass blocking, he has no #1 wr or a WR that will make a play, and it is a run first team. I want Wilson to be resigned but everyone keeps forgetting it is about what Wilson wants and he wants to be the best and as our team is constructed he is not set up to be the best
You understand the problem now finally...You can't pay the guy huge mega $$ and expect the other weak spots to get fixed when there is no cap room to fix anything and thats just the offensive side of it...Weaken the defense to pay for everything and we won't win anymore Super Bowls so pick your poison..It's up to RW if he wants to keep going through what he does now or help the situation with a Kap like structured contract..He will NEVER just walk ..They will trade him for picks(high ones) before that happens and it may happen..I don't want the guy gone but I also root for the Hawks team not just 1 player and I expect a strong team not one with a strong qb with little else..

Why not Denver did it. NE did it, other teams who paid their franchise QBs have done it so yes you can do it. I understand you root for the team as a whole so do I the difference is I know no matter how strong you team is without a franchise type QB you are not winning a n SB history has proven that over and over again. Players will not come to a team with out a franchise QB, because they know its needed to win and always be in the hunt. As to you ascertain they will trade him first, you seem to forget Wilson has allot of say in all of this. HE can simply say lets wait till after my last year to negotiate, and then say no, then they would have to franchise him knowing the problems that will cause, he can hold out, they will eventually agree to not franchise or trade him again he will come in and then be gone for nothing. Do not think for one minute that scenario cannot happen because it can. Even if they did trade him for 3 draft picks that mans little as you have no franchise QB and those 3 draft picks are highly unlikely to get you a franchise QB. If the it was so easy to find a franchise QB everyone would already have one, and they do not. You seem to be another person who short changes the value of a franchise QB and specifically what Wilson has done for us. Wilson may sign a contract that helps the hawks but it will not be a Kap like deal. He has already surpassed Kap. If he does stay and sign a good deal for the hawks you can bet it will include some guarantees they fix the oline and get him some help at WR, and if that's the case the offense will change. In fact for Wilson to stay the offense will have to change. Also I am sure you were all about Sherman, and ET and the others they just singed taking lesser deals to help the team, even though their deals were far from less. Also ML held out you were against giving him more, I mean that hurts the team as well right? Of course you were. Wilson is getting paid if he stays, and then its up to the FO to prove they are as good as Denvers and get Wilson help. Like I said Denver did it, NE did it, GB has lots of talent on offense and yet Rodgers is paid. Lucks getting paid and they have a lot of talent on offense. SO it can be done, if our FO is so great they will be ale to sign Wilson and get him the talent around him like other top QBs have. So sorry the need for Wilson to take less so the FO can put talent around him is not a good argument. The need for the FO to pay Wilson and put talent around him like other FOs has shown they can do it s legit argument. In fact one could argue they have failed so far, as they have had 3 years of him being paid nothing to do it, and have not done a good job. It is not Wilsons job to make up for their mistakes, that is on them. If Wilson stays, he will get paid, and then the FO must figure out how to put the talent around him. Or he can just leave and go to a team that has the talent or the FO that knows how to put that talent around him. But he is getting paid what he feels is right.

Anthony!

Reaction score
NYCoug":2xxlqesl said:
What a difference 9 months makes, huh?! Screw that. What a difference 3 weeks makes hahaha

Cue Russell going on a 3 game tear and people drawing up imaginary 25 million dollar per year, lifetime contracts.

Bipolar disorder is a serious matter. Some of you need to be diagnosed and treated immediately.

Agreed, I never said 25 mil I have been rooted in the 18-20 range. However I do agree how a 3 game slump has changed some peoples perceptions. I mean they for get the first 5 out of the 6 games were Wilson pretty much carried us by himself. I mean really after 5 out of 6 games with a QQ rating way north of 100 and complt% way north of 65, now a 3 game passing slump were he is still been essential to our wins in other ways, and he is now not worth resigning, any running QB would do? It shows how silly some people think. I mean a 3 game slump that I have showed every great QB goes threw and everything he has done in the last 2.5 years means nothing. Pretty silly, Wilson is going to get paid, and it will not be a Kap deal, and then that is were the FO earns their keep, and prove they are as good as Denver and other teams who paid their franchise QBs but were still able to put talent around them. Either they are good enough to do that or they are not. We will see.

Latest posts