Is This A Dream?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I value my membership in the 38 Club. Not because I feel it makes me a better fan or better 12 than you, but because I know the years I have spent screaming at my television, hoping, PRAYING that the Seahawks would somehow win the game.

Count me in as one 12 that could care less if you are a 38 year long 12 or a brand new 12. All that matters to me is that you have found your way and your heart to this team and that makes you family to me.

We all have our reasons for following this team. For me? It was a JC Penney's christmas catalog in 1976. That was when I first realized that there was a new NFL team in my city! I was 7 years old and boy you would never believe it but I had a thick blonde covering of hair to go with my new-found excitement!

I never really gave much thought about my loyalty to the Seahawks growing up. I kind of became used to the idea that I rooted for a team that would never really amount to much. Sure, there were mini sparks of glory with the 83-84 team, and the late 80's team...But ultimately, it just seemed like the Seattle Seahawks were doomed to eternal mediocrity on a good day.

If I had one dollar for every "Seahawks? Why do you like those losers?" comments through the years, I swear I could buy a pretty sweet 60+ inch flat screen TV.

Still, I endured. Not because I am a hero or anything over-dramatic like that...But because I felt that it was my duty, to stick with the team I called my own in that moment, many years earlier, when I realized that was my hometown team.

Besides, even then, I thought they had the coolest looking logo, colors and helmet in the NFL.

That is one thing I have never wavered on.

So here we are, fast forward 38 years later.

Somehow, inexplicably, I've turned into a middle-aged, bald, paunchy husband and father. I still don't know where the time went. (If you are in your teens or twenties reading this, trust me, you won't either soon enough). I think, more alarming than my good looks stock diving like an Olympic swimmer when the horn blows is how many people have suddenly embraced the magic of being a 12.

In my neighborhood, a lovely middle/upper class neighborhood in Maple Valley, I can't drive by a street at night without many homes illuminating my way in blue and green lights. 12 flags, Seahawks flags, everywhere. I can't walk into any establishment without employees wearing Seahawks jerseys or shouting "Go Hawks!".

I feel like I am stuck in this really cool dream. When NYCoug sat next to me in the NFCCG a couple weeks back, it felt precisely the same way. If I am dreaming, like I said last year when we won the Super Bowl, don't wake me.

We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort. - Jesse Owens

Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real. - Tupac Shakur

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not? - Robert Kennedy

Attachments

• littlearos.jpg
    littlearos.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,638

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I'm with ya Todd. This is crazy. I don't think this will ever stop being crazy. We earned this shit though, I know that much.

Here's to another one on Sunday. SEAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1t57q443 said:
I'm with ya Todd. This is crazy. I don't think this will ever stop being crazy. We earned this shit though, I know that much.

Here's to another one on Sunday. SEAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the dream alive is all I have to say!

LTH

Reaction score
I think thats really cool you have been a Hawks fan since you were 7...these past two seasons dont get any better for you!

LTH

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
38 years is a long time to wait...
2 back to back Championships are a just prize, I say.
These posts are keeping the nerves at bay before we take the field!

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Your story is almost word for word the same as mine.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Enjoyed reading and I think you're story mirrors quite a few guys on the forum, mine included. We're getting close for another one. Thanks for sharing!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Reaneypark":2n4rbnrk said:
Your story is almost word for word the same as mine.
Me too but living on Vashon Island we had a Sears order/pickup building..I remember the Hawk stuff but we did go to
one or two games that 1st year and I never forget how loud the Kingdome was..It's been a long ride to these last 2 Super Bowls.GO HAWKS!!!

pmedic920

Reaction score
With Paul A. as the owner and PC / JS running the show, there is no telling where this thing goes.
Win or lose tomorrow, this trip is far from over.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. It's been a long time coming.
GoHawks.
Edit: don't forget #3 and THEE LOB.

Seafan

Reaction score
When a great coach and a great GM mesh together and they find that franchise QB good things are going to happen. Sadly this didn't happen until Carroll-Schneider-Wilson. 2005 was a nice season but the GM let the team down and you knew there was never going to be anything special about that team again.

I've been loyal to the team since its inception as well. As long as this trio is here this team will be championship contenders.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
I grew up in a small town in AK. The only game we would get was the Seahawk games, and they were shown on Wednesdays. When I was five I went to my first live game at the Kingdome. Buffalo vs Seattle. I have been a fan for almost 40 years and like stated above, I was fine with being ok and never really expecting to see a SB in my lifetime. 2005 broke my heart, then we drafted Wilson and I just assumed we would choke in every big game like we have decades before. The Redskin game made me realize that there was a chance we would make it to the dance someday. I wasn't even upset about the ATL loss, I knew the SB was right around the corner.

Last year at kickoff I cried like a baby. So many different emotions over the years came out all at once. First year that I have never had a party, just watched it with the wife.

GB Game I was calm as could be. As long as we were with in 24 points I knew we could come back. GB fans at my house sat in shock. I coolly sat back and told them, I knew they could pull it off.

I have no idea how I will feel tomorrow. This year I am just enjoying the ride. Win or lose, I am proud to be a Hawk fan and know that even playing back to back SB's is crazy. SB party is back on will have friends and family over. Should be a great day.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I grew up in the 253. Went to a hawks game with my dad that first year. We were so far away from the field in the 300 level that the game looked more like one of those vibrating table football games than the real thing. But I never forgot it.

My friend's plane from Seattle landed about 10 minutes ago, and in about 10 more we're going to drive out to AZ and look for tickets. The more I think about it, the more I think it's going to be like that first game: A million miles away from the action, not quite seeming real, and something I'll never forget.

Go Hawks!

Jay-Dog

Reaction score
Not a dream! Funny how things have changed. Growing up in rural Montana with no one to root for but the Seahawks, we found our team. It was never about winning or losing in my eyes back in the days and same holds true today. Too me it's about the Seahawks. The players, the uniforms, the excitement, and watching all the fans having fun. Winning feels amazing and I often say this not really happening. The fans have always been here and always will be rooting for the hawks. We are #1.

Here is my brother and I sporting our new jackets back in 1980. That's me on the right, haha! Go Hawks!

1661628_788230961251978_3609516420511007514_n.jpg

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Right there with you. I was 8.
I think I wore out that catalog.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 914

Mick063

Reaction score
I have been a huge fan since expansion in 1976.

I have always loved this team, through thick or thin. When the bottom eventually falls out, I'll still watch every game.

I have paid my dues with interest. I am so incredibly happy with this team now. This brief moment in time is worth enduring all of those hard years.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
My dad has season tickets in the early 80s, I have been a hawk fan since I was 5 or so ( when I knew what football was) like most of you I always thought we would never be quite good enough.... I also cried like a baby last year when we won the SB.... it was hand down one of the best days of my life. We are very lucky to be where we are right now and for the near future..... and I also think we have the best looking logo and jerseys in the game. I hope to god we win .. 2 in a row would be unreal... either way I love the hawks and always will.... I was lucky enough to take my wife to the NFC Championship and she witnessed that miracle as well. She never understood why the games meant so much to me... until that game.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Kamcussionator":3qeup82q said:
I grew up in the 253.

Go Hawks!

Me, too. But don't forget- all of Western Washington was 206 at that point.

I remember wearing a Seattle Slew shirt and carrying a Seahawk gym bag to my history class one day. My teacher took one look at me and said,"Well at least you picked one winner".

Don't think he meant the Hawks...the douchebag.

firemanseahawk

Reaction score
Same story. Being here in AZ and seeing all these 12s. It's even a huge change just from super bowl XL!! Thank you Paul Allen for making the 1976 4 year-old me dreams reality.