Is this year the beginning of the end for Christine Michael?

Will CMike make the Hawks 53 man roster this year?

• He's a recent second round pick from 2 years ago! Of course he'll make the team!

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • Surprise trade! I want all the 7th round picks!!!

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Cut the bum! We need the roster spot!

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • Mother of G*d! I hate July. Shouldn't you be thinking about non-Football stuff. Read a book, #$%^&*!

Votes: 29 25.9%

• Total voters

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Tical21":168sr3z4 said:
I think he makes multiple pro bowls and I'm hoping they're with the Hawks. He's shown more than enough flashes. Do you know who the worst practice player of all-time was? Vincent Edward Jackson.

Pass pro? C'mon. That's why you have a 3rd down back. I think they're making an example of him because they can. They have the Beast and they have a decent backup, so they're giving Michael a bunch of tough love so he'll be right and hungry when they need him. Give the kid the rock and get out of his way.

I like it.

I want this kid to succeed as much as anyone. But look at the situation he is in. He is third in line behind (arguably) the best RB in the league, and Turbins no daisy either. And for all those berating Turbins ability; I gauran-damn-tee you he will be highly sought after in FA, if it gets to that. Lets hope he (Michael) is ready when we need him. Would be great for him to silence a few critics.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Beginning of the end? I'm still waiting on the beginning of the beginning!

formido

Reaction score
chris98251":3q4osvqq said:
cacksman":3q4osvqq said:
It's really unbelievable what quotes someone can pull off of an article to frame their narrative. From that same article everyone is linking to:

“This is a fantastic time for him. This is his time,” coach Pete Carroll said this spring. [b]“We’re going to push him in that regard and just match up with his expectations. He wants to be a front-line, first-line back[/b] and he’s got tremendous talent and we’re just going to see how it goes.”

That doesn't sound like someone who is content with being high draft pick that fades into mediocrity.

Unless someone wants to show recent quotes from staff (other than the one above) and not message board truths or conjecture about "inexplicable plays such as stepping out a yard before the first down marker" which every player is guilty of, being a reason why he isn't getting more carries, then you are completely BSing yourself and everyone else.

I can't wait to bump this thread next month.

You don't need to push guys with drive, the fact he has high expectations but doesn't push himself is a character flag.

Michael is kind of dumb and he may not make it...but you're just wrong here. Word around town is he's a gym rat, which makes sense given the training vines we've seen and the fact that it would be impossible to have a 43 inch vertical without having a massive back squat.

There's only a weak correlation at best between immaturity and working hard at sports. The fundamental attribution error applies here, as it often does with internet judginess.

Hawks46

Reaction score
formido":67hyl28d said:
chris98251":67hyl28d said:
cacksman":67hyl28d said:
It's really unbelievable what quotes someone can pull off of an article to frame their narrative. From that same article everyone is linking to:

“This is a fantastic time for him. This is his time,” coach Pete Carroll said this spring. [b]“We’re going to push him in that regard and just match up with his expectations. He wants to be a front-line, first-line back[/b] and he’s got tremendous talent and we’re just going to see how it goes.”

That doesn't sound like someone who is content with being high draft pick that fades into mediocrity.

Unless someone wants to show recent quotes from staff (other than the one above) and not message board truths or conjecture about "inexplicable plays such as stepping out a yard before the first down marker" which every player is guilty of, being a reason why he isn't getting more carries, then you are completely BSing yourself and everyone else.

I can't wait to bump this thread next month.

You don't need to push guys with drive, the fact he has high expectations but doesn't push himself is a character flag.

Michael is kind of dumb and he may not make it...but you're just wrong here. Word around town is he's a gym rat, which makes sense given the training vines we've seen and the fact that it would be impossible to have a 43 inch vertical without having a massive back squat.

There's only a weak correlation at best between immaturity and working hard at sports. The fundamental attribution error applies here, as it often does with internet judginess.

I'd be curious as to what that "word around town" is. I've never accused Michael of not being a hard worker, but he always has some sort of lower extremity injury and typically a hamstring. Guys that get chronic hamstrings are either not in shape, or some guys work out and get their quads so strong that there is uneven pull on the leg and they pull hammys. The former is much more common in the NFL: you have guys that hold out during TC and OTA's, come back and pull hamstrings (a lot), you have guys that pull hamstrings in OTA's due to not working out enough in the off season, and you get guys that run so hard that they pull hamstrings more than usual (typically due to poor running form). A good example is the kid from the Panthers, Benjamin. He came in this year out of shape and promptly pulled a hamstring in OTA's.

There's absolutely a correlation between immaturity and work ethic, especially when it comes to watching film, preparation, and getting mental reps on the sidelines. Every film cut away I've seen of Michael on the side lines, he's screwing around and doesn't seem to be watching the game at all. It might just be me, but if I'm backing up a guy like Beast Mode, I'm watching his ass and trying to emulate what he does.

As for your vertical jump comments, I won't quantify that, but I will say it's hard for me to believe that all the guys in the NBA with a 36-40" vertical do massive amounts during back squats.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I didn't vote for any of the above choices b/c none has totally applicability.

Michael needs to demonstrate some consistency and become a better practice player to ensure his spot on the roster. He's had some difficulty justifying his roster spot up to now. Something unfortunately always seems to be missing with him. Examples are complaints: he's immature, has had difficulty understanding the playbook and his responsibilities as far as blocking, his work ethic is lacking, has ball security issues, only carries with one arm and doesn't know when to shift the ball to protect it, telegraphs plays by calling attention to himself, has some injury propensities. On the other hand he's an amazing athlete, is a good and hard runner after contact, is fast as blazes and shifty. As such he's a hard player to know what to make of and whether he was a mistaken pick based upon his uber athleticism.

The fact he's had two seasons where he has hardly made the active roster regularly indicates the coaching staff is not convinced he's worth risking a spot for when there are other pressing roster issues. I suspect he's closing in on a time where the team will have seen enough. The team will give him every chance to succeed but will move on if Michael doesn't seize his chance.

At present with the concerns about Turbin's health, and Turbin's roster status going forward Michael will be give a long hard look and certainly has value. However, he needs to realize it's time to grow up and earn a job b/c there are others willing to take it from him. He competes, or he's gotta here. His roster spot is no longer guaranteed.

cacksman

Reaction score
Hawks46":3sl7q0uc said:
As for your vertical jump comments, I won't quantify that, but I will say it's hard for me to believe that all the guys in the NBA with a 36-40" vertical do massive amounts during back squats.

How many guys in the NBA are 5'10"?

The NBA has literally the best athletes in the world (much more so than the NFL), and even Michael has a higher SPARQ score than most of them.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jammerhawk":oa3xmts0 said:
I didn't vote for any of the above choices b/c none has totally applicability.

Michael needs to demonstrate some consistency and become a better practice player to ensure his spot on the roster. He's had some difficulty justifying his roster spot up to now. Something unfortunately always seems to be missing with him. Examples are complaints: he's immature, has had difficulty understanding the playbook and his responsibilities as far as blocking, his work ethic is lacking, has ball security issues, only carries with one arm and doesn't know when to shift the ball to protect it, telegraphs plays by calling attention to himself, has some injury propensities. On the other hand he's an amazing athlete, is a good and hard runner after contact, is fast as blazes and shifty. As such he's a hard player to know what to make of and whether he was a mistaken pick based upon his uber athleticism.

The fact he's had two seasons where he has hardly made the active roster regularly indicates the coaching staff is not convinced he's worth risking a spot for when there are other pressing roster issues. I suspect he's closing in on a time where the team will have seen enough. The team will give him every chance to succeed but will move on if Michael doesn't seize his chance.

At present with the concerns about Turbin's health, and Turbin's roster status going forward Michael will be give a long hard look and certainly has value. However, he needs to realize it's time to grow up and earn a job b/c there are others willing to take it from him. He competes, or he's gotta here. His roster spot is no longer guaranteed.

Good post. Sums up what I was thinking.

The biggest problem is that (at least to me) Michael doesn't seem to realize he has to compete for a roster spot. At least, that's my theory as to why he pouts and has issues; he feels he deserves more and is looking for it elsewhere and not from himself.

I also think the team gives him a long look this offseason and TC because it's his last chance. The coaching staff have come out and said (publicly) that they want him to take a hold of the position, yet he's on the sidelines with a tight hamstring. If he was doing what he was supposed to, no one would be talking about Rawls right now.

Speaking of which, he's not the athletic wonder that Michael is, but from his tape, we'll have a reason to be impressed with the pads go on. He's a guy that will shine when players start contact.

I also like the looks of that kid from Penn State.

chris98251

Reaction score
Koren Robinson was a freak athlete also, immaturity, lousy work ethic, and his penchant for getting in trouble, something Michael doesn't do but just because your a freak athlete doesn't not make you a success.

When the guys hit you back you either work harder or pout and make excuses.

With his talent on tape he should be pushing Lynch, he isn't even pushing Turbin.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If Michael had half the issues many in this thread seem to think he does, he wouldn't be on the team anymore. He would have been replaced by someone who might not be quite the athlete that Michael is, but who has the drive to excel and can contribute in other areas. Pete and John have shown no qualms about passing over and getting rid of players who either have been surpassed by theoretically lesser players or have attitude issues. Flynn, Harvin ring a bell?

Before someone points out how the salary differences between Michael and Flynn/ Harvin make the situations hardly comparable, I will say that while the salary cost of keeping Michael on board is minimal, the cost of a roster spot is pretty high.

Of course, we have to have a 3rd back, and perhaps Michael has just been the least bad option given his low salary. However, I have to think that if the Hawks didn't see some serious potential Pete and John would replace him with someone who is a serviceable backup but contributes in other areas like special teams, and they would have been heavily in the RB market the last two years.

We all know that the probability of Lynch giving us more than 2 additional seasons is extremely small, and there is a high likelihood that this is his last year. Pete and John know this, and yet the only RB move they made this year was in the UDFA market. Maybe they have their eyes on a sleeper draft pick or FA acquisition next year, but my money is on them keeping a gem under wraps until time to unveil it.

- bsd

olyfan63

Reaction score
Michael has lit it up when given the ball in preseason, and also in regular season garbage time.
He's a valuable insurance policy for Beastmode.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Plenty of guys light it up in pre-season. We don't need Mr. August, we need a solid back, which he hasn't proven he can be :(

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Both of my kindles have books on them I have not read yet. :mrgreen:

seahawks08

Reaction score
He is no Marshawn, he will always be considered the backup for Marshawn, as long as Marshawn continues playing without retiring, it will be hard to fill Marshawns shoes.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
cacksman":14uh02vj said:
Hawks46":14uh02vj said:

The NBA has literally the best athletes in the world (much more so than the NFL), and even Michael has a higher SPARQ score than most of them.

How can you possibly say the NBA has the best athletes... that's silly.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
He might just be waiting for a burst of success to help himself get over the mental hurdle.

Either way, I imagine the front office feels stuck on him - too little good execution or attitude to rely on him, too much sheer potential to cut him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Ambrose83":3dv52aan said:
cacksman":3dv52aan said:
Hawks46":3dv52aan said:

Athleticism can be defined in different ways. No doubt, the average basketball player is in better aerobic shape than than average football player, continuous running vs. short bursts of stop and go. Amazingly, there are many players in the NBA who can't bench press 185 lbs even once. Yes, they use 185 lbs weights, instead of 225 lbs.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Watching the CArolina division game, we use all 3 rbs as either running back or receivers. CM missed a td pass by just barely going out of the endzone. I believe that is what they are probably trying to evaluate.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
hawknation2015":aydr1ycf said:
Ambrose83":aydr1ycf said:
cacksman":aydr1ycf said:
Hawks46":aydr1ycf said:

Athleticism can be defined in different ways. No doubt, the average basketball player is in better aerobic shape than than average football player, continuous running vs. short bursts of stop and go. Amazingly, there are many players in the NBA who can't bench press 185 lbs even once. Yes, they use 185 lbs weights, instead of 225 lbs.

Lol NBA guys do not run constantly, have you watched a game lol... it's a joke.. now college maybe.. but they are far far from the best athletes In the world.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Ambrose83":3pyi84pm said:
hawknation2015":3pyi84pm said:
Ambrose83":3pyi84pm said:
cacksman":3pyi84pm said:

Lol NBA guys do not run constantly, have you watched a game lol... it's a joke.. now college maybe.. but they are far far from the best athletes In the world.

It's not exactly farfetched (or 'a joke') to say that the game of basketball is even more aerobic than football, as there are fewer breaks between the action to set the ball into play.

Does that mean basketball players are better athletes? Absolutely not, it just means the average basketball player needs to be more of an aerobic athlete, while football requires more of a blend of aerobic and anaerobic.

There are also positional differences . . . QBs, as well as offensive and defensive linemen, are not usually as aerobically gifted as the typical basketball player. That does not mean they are worse athletes.

Latest posts