It is finally Masters week!!

CPHawk

Reaction score
Subzero717":3kovm7tv said:
peachesenregalia":3kovm7tv said:
DTexHawk":3kovm7tv said:
IndyHawk":3kovm7tv said:
I question as he gets older and his ego gets bigger where his caddie and swing coach cannot get through to him anymore what will he be then?

I doubt his ego will ever be a problem.

Why's that?
He is from Texas.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yep,being he's from Texas his ego can't get any bigger than it already is.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
I still can't believe I saw what I saw. After he hit his first shot into the water at 12, he was visibly flustered. His body language and speech pattern instantly changed. I think most of us who have played at any kind of halfway serious level have had those moments where we are having negative reactions to tension, we get stuck in our heads, don't know what is going on and get that feeling that we just don't know if we're capable of putting a good swing on a ball. I legitimately thought I would never see that from Jordan Spieth. He completely panicked. Bad swings, bad shots, sure, but panicked? Jordan couldn't control his nerves. I'm disappointed. Not that it isn't unprecedented. It happened to Arnie a few times. Phil, of course. I don't know about Watson. But in their primes, this didn't happen to Jack, and didn't happen to Tiger.

Is it possible that all of these guys, while unbelievably talented, aren't true winners the way that Player, Watson, Snead, Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods and even Trevino were? How many majors over the past few years have the majority of the players folded like tents? More often than not, I think most of these guys do. Even Jason Day has failed to flourish down the stretch more than a couple of times.

If Tiger can somehow find a way to get to his B game, I think he beats these guys a good portion of the time. This Masters tournament screamed Woods victory to me. I dunno, maybe a 67 from Willett is something Tiger couldn't have overcome. However, with the rest of the field failing to do anything at all for two days, those are the tournaments that Tiger finds a way to grind out. I know he was sitting there watching, pissed off, counting this as one that got away.

Hawker

Reaction score
That was so Greg Norman-esque.

Spieth's choke on 10, 11, and 12 will go down as one of the worst ever, but it sure did help my fantasy standings. Thanks, Jordan, for that.

Real happy for Willett though. To think, he almost didn't play.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3tmk1zml said:
DTexHawk":3tmk1zml said:
IndyHawk":3tmk1zml said:
I question as he gets older and his ego gets bigger where his caddie and swing coach cannot get through to him anymore what will he be then?

Why's that?

I know the community he has grown up in very well.

Could he turn out to be an ass, sure. But in my opinion, knowing of how and where he has grown up I think he will always be a solid individual.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Subzero717":jwff9otm said:
peachesenregalia":jwff9otm said:
DTexHawk":jwff9otm said:
IndyHawk":jwff9otm said:

Why's that?
He is from Texas.

Wrong. Plenty of big ego assholes in Texas. Spieth likely won't be one of them. ;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DTexHawk":135si35z said:
peachesenregalia":135si35z said:
DTexHawk":135si35z said:
IndyHawk":135si35z said:

Why's that?

I know the community he has grown up in very well.

Could he turn out to be an ass, sure. But in my opinion, knowing of how and where he has grown up I think he will always be a solid individual.

Like I said, the way Spieth handled the last six holes, post match and jacket ceremony tells me everything I need to know about his integrity. Even when cameras were in his face walking off of 18 he was polite and said please when declining pics and interviews.

Spoiled brats like Tiger and Sergio snap at people, storm off and get into their private helicopters waiting in the parking lot.

I'm sure Spieth kicked a few cats when he got home. But in public? He's been nothing but a model player.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3cjvd5xc said:
I still can't believe I saw what I saw. After he hit his first shot into the water at 12, he was visibly flustered. His body language and speech pattern instantly changed. I think most of us who have played at any kind of halfway serious level have had those moments where we are having negative reactions to tension, we get stuck in our heads, don't know what is going on and get that feeling that we just don't know if we're capable of putting a good swing on a ball. I legitimately thought I would never see that from Jordan Spieth. He completely panicked. Bad swings, bad shots, sure, but panicked? Jordan couldn't control his nerves. I'm disappointed. Not that it isn't unprecedented. It happened to Arnie a few times. Phil, of course. I don't know about Watson. But in their primes, this didn't happen to Jack, and didn't happen to Tiger.

Is it possible that all of these guys, while unbelievably talented, aren't true winners the way that Player, Watson, Snead, Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods and even Trevino were? How many majors over the past few years have the majority of the players folded like tents? More often than not, I think most of these guys do. Even Jason Day has failed to flourish down the stretch more than a couple of times.

If Tiger can somehow find a way to get to his B game, I think he beats these guys a good portion of the time. This Masters tournament screamed Woods victory to me. I dunno, maybe a 67 from Willett is something Tiger couldn't have overcome. However, with the rest of the field failing to do anything at all for two days, those are the tournaments that Tiger finds a way to grind out. I know he was sitting there watching, pissed off, counting this as one that got away.
Great post Tical.The Tiger parts I was thinking along the same lines.DTEX you may be right about the ego thing but fame,money and power changes a lot of things.I do agree he was class at the end though(in public).The guys today may not be the champions of the past but they are good.I guess we will see some of you on the next major thread.GO HAWKS!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3l6xzlol said:
IndyHawk":3l6xzlol said:
Rory is a great example.If Jordan is so mentally tough as Largent puts it how do you blow the Masters like he did?The kid is a great putter but he is very jumpy before he shoots like he's fighting mental demons.I question as he gets older and his ego gets bigger where his caddie and swing coach cannot get through to him anymore what will he be then?There is the burnout factor ect.He is an older 22 year old and I wonder if his body is the same(older beyond years)this would bring on injuries which we have seen happen that a golfer isn't the same anymore.A lot of this is just speculation by me but these things have happened to many rising young golfers that you never hear about anymore.The mental factor is so fragile in this sport.

Spieth was most definitely feeling the pressure over the weekend, doing things he never does like back off of shots and putts taking more time. He was even put on the clock Saturday for taking too long.

Even the most mentally tough golfers of all time like Nicklaus and Woods had meltdowns, hell Nicklaus won 19 majors, but came in 2nd 17 times. 17 times!

So yeah, I have no doubt Spieth, even at age 22 will bounce back. He's mature well beyond his years. His demeanor AFTER the quad bogey and after told me everything I needed to know. Calm, polite, cool and collected.............none of the mentally weak red flags you see with athletes who crap the bed.
Somehow I missed this and need to reply.Those 2 golfers are legends with 15 + majors and I know they never had a meltdown at the Masters on a Sunday.Jack finishing 2nd that many times just shows you how good he really was and he wasn't playing a lot of golf like todays players.I get you like JS but he has a long ways to go before he even gets mentioned with those 2.I agree he is polite but I don't think he was calm and collected after that hole as he would have tied it up at least since he had 5 holes after that birdie on 13 just saying.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3l9ss8z1 said:
Somehow I missed this and need to reply.Those 2 golfers are legends with 15 + majors and I know they never had a meltdown at the Masters on a Sunday.Jack finishing 2nd that many times just shows you how good he really was and he wasn't playing a lot of golf like todays players.I get you like JS but he has a long ways to go before he even gets mentioned with those 2.I agree he is polite but I don't think he was calm and collected after that hole as he would have tied it up at least since he had 5 holes after that birdie on 13 just saying.

I just don't understand why you don't like Spieth? Kid is nothing but class and will be a multiple time Masters champ very very soon. In 2014 he entered Sunday tied for the lead and wound up losing by 3 strokes after coming unglued. The following year he won in record fashion.

It was a brutal loss for him, but he'll be fine. Golf is a humbling sport.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tical21":szy2grd5 said:

Tiger's B game won't beat Day, Spieth, Rory and the young guys coming up. The game of golf has changed considerably from when Tiger was absolutely dominant. I would love Tiger to return to form.. I just don't see it happening anytime soon if at all. I really think he was on HGH back in the day and his body is just breaking down now.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3j4xkmap said:
Tical21":3j4xkmap said:

Tiger's B game won't beat Day, Spieth, Rory and the young guys coming up. The game of golf has changed considerably from when Tiger was absolutely dominant. I would love Tiger to return to form.. I just don't see it happening anytime soon if at all. I really think he was on HGH back in the day and his body is just breaking down now.
I was a little harsh and do agree with part of what you're saying. When Rory is absolutely on, or Day is on, or even Spieth, or any number of guys, Tiger probably doesn't win almost any of those tournaments, and a lot of those are similar to tournaments he lost even during his prime. When Rory has it, he's not getting beat. These kids are awfully talented and any one of them is capable of going really low for four rounds in any given tournament. But tournaments like this one, where there was very little wind Sunday and a lot of the pins were gettable, and the guys are puking on themselves, these are the tournaments where Tiger just leans and wins through attrition. He didn't have to bring his A-game. People forget that Tiger was actually a very conservative player in majors. He just had an extra ability to hit ultra-clutch shots when he got himself into trouble. Where these guys were making bogeys, he found ways to make pars. There have been a bunch of tournaments over the past few years where nobody was capable of making any movement on the weekend, whether it is from nerves or just lack of shot making. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. Maybe I'm not giving Willett enough. I just think Tiger hangs around and wins this tournament and others that go down in a similar fashion.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":27sy2ncc said:
IndyHawk":27sy2ncc said:

I just don't understand why you don't like Spieth? Kid is nothing but class and will be a multiple time Masters champ very very soon. In 2014 he entered Sunday tied for the lead and wound up losing by 3 strokes after coming unglued. The following year he won in record fashion.

It was a brutal loss for him, but he'll be fine. Golf is a humbling sport.
I don't think I said"I don't like him".I don't like the overhype of him by the media however and to be fair it was the same of Rory a couple years ago.I'm not jumping aboard his fan wagon just yet.I said 1 year doesn't make a career and I'll wait and see if he proves to turn out the way you see it.I also do not agree that Tigers B game wouldn't beat these guys today because it did back then.I don't see the talent level as being any higher today.The equipment is but thats it and for you to say Tiger was on HGH thats weak.So when Jordans skinny body gets bigger it's natural?How about Rory now?Golf is about being flexible more so than being bulked up.

Subzero717

Reaction score
DTexHawk":2wkfds84 said:
Subzero717":2wkfds84 said:
peachesenregalia":2wkfds84 said:
DTexHawk":2wkfds84 said:
IndyHawk said:

Why's that?
He is from Texas.

Wrong. Plenty of big ego assholes in Texas. Spieth likely won't be one of them. ;)

I was being sarcastic. I really like Speith. Seeing him with his dad I cant see it either. His dad doesnt seem to be the type to allow it. Seeing him with his sister makes it almost unimaginable.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
I hope everyone gets to read this:

http://www.weiunderpar.com/?p=44286

"A wise coach reminded me recently, winning shows your character and losing shows ALL your character. Jordan continues to model grace and humility through wins and especially losses. The student continues to teach the teacher, and now millions others, just like he did at Erin Hills."

- See more at: http://www.weiunderpar.com/?p=44286#sth ... mRsKF.dpuf

You don't get to hear much about caddies, but the more I know about Greller, the more I like him.

I hope his and Jordan's relationship lasts for years.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Don't know if true or not, heard it second hand.

Smiley Kaufmann on radio in Baton Rouge was asked:

"How did Jordan deal with the quad?"

Kaufmann chuckled and said "the 12th was one of my better holes where I actually birdied".

On the 13th tee, Spieth walked up and asked: "Sooooooooo, who's up? You or me?"

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think Jordan will rebound just fine from this and go on to be one of the better, more dominant golfers on the tour over the next couple years.

That said, his immaturity (what is he, 22?) definitely showed over the weekend. You could see his frustration (and not just on the +4, but on many shots and putts throughout Friday and Saturday). There was alot of talking to the caddy after missed hits, etc. as well. He looked like a regular kid out there golfing.

He will learn from it. I like his approach and was rooting for him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DTexHawk":38mi798c said:
You don't get to hear much about caddies, but the more I know about Greller, the more I like him.

I hope his and Jordan's relationship lasts for years.

One of my friends use to caddie with Greller at Chambers Bay, and said he was by FAR the best caddie out there, really studying the course and taking every round seriously.............and not just being a regular jerk off caddie who's only there to get his fee and tips.

IMO a great fit for a young phenom like Spieth, having a ex school teacher with a family who's super grounded and humble.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Jordan Spieth isn't a troublemaker or anything, but he can be an entitled whiner. He's thrown a couple hissy fits at bad breaks, aired out his caddy publicly on more than one occasion, and has been pretty quick to be defensive with the media. Not a bad guy by any stretch, but not exactly a full-time southern gentleman. He's clearly got a pretty massive ego, and that is the biggest reason why he is a fantastic player.

The length of the relationship between Jordan and Greller depends on a few things. Can Greller keep him happy? Does Jordan's nitpicking wear on him so much that it strains their relationship? I can't see that one because Greller would make far more money with Spieth than any alternative. The biggest takeaway we learned about Jordan this weekend is that he's a bit more odd than we gave him credit for. A little Furyk in that boy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":3kgw1y66 said:
Jordan Spieth isn't a troublemaker or anything, but he can be an entitled whiner. He's thrown a couple hissy fits at bad breaks, aired out his caddy publicly on more than one occasion, and has been pretty quick to be defensive with the media. Not a bad guy by any stretch, but not exactly a full-time southern gentleman. He's clearly got a pretty massive ego, and that is the biggest reason why he is a fantastic player.

The length of the relationship between Jordan and Greller depends on a few things. Can Greller keep him happy? Does Jordan's nitpicking wear on him so much that it strains their relationship? I can't see that one because Greller would make far more money with Spieth than any alternative. The biggest takeaway we learned about Jordan this weekend is that he's a bit more odd than we gave him credit for. A little Furyk in that boy.

Spieth definitely has the country club kid vibe, but he controls it.

Greller at this point is a great fit for Spieth, and has the respect of other golfers so even if Spieth and he ever break up I have no doubt there'd be 20 top golfers lining up to sign him.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2beoqfc8 said:
Tical21":2beoqfc8 said:

Spieth definitely has the country club kid vibe, but he controls it.

Greller at this point is a great fit for Spieth, and has the respect of other golfers so even if Spieth and he ever break up I have no doubt there'd be 20 top golfers lining up to sign him.

I have to agree with SGt on Greller. I would think that Greller is becoming more of a Fluffy type of caddie. If you dont know Fluffy, Then you dont know who I am talking about.