Jalen Ramsey a Ram....

knownone

Reaction score
This trade actually makes sense for the Rams. They have a top 5 run defense and a bottom 20 pass defense. If Ramsey can stabilize the back end, then they can effectively hide Goff behind their defense the same way the 49ers are hiding Jimmy.

It doesn't appear that cap space will be a major issue for them going into next season. They have 40 million in cap space, and it's unlikely they'd extend Whitworth to anything close to what he's making this season. They'll be fine.

Gusbusser

Reaction score
As a Jags fan I am smiling ear to ear. 2 firsts and a 4th?! Ramsey is simply a quitter. It's the worst thing in professional sports to not handle adversity. Success has been his life and not having it makes him feel like nothing. He wasn't even with a bad franchise or a bad team. He's less than 2 years removed from the AFC championship game. Unless he is with the Patriots he will be a meltdown and never truly be happy. Winning every game is validation for him, more than being a great corner or teammate. It's kinda sad.

Fade

Reaction score
knownone":3v0bi4mx said:
This trade actually makes sense for the Rams. They have a top 5 run defense and a bottom 20 pass defense. If Ramsey can stabilize the back end, then they can effectively hide Goff behind their defense the same way the 49ers are hiding Jimmy.

It doesn't appear that cap space will be a major issue for them going into next season. They have 40 million in cap space, and it's unlikely they'd extend Whitworth to anything close to what he's making this season. They'll be fine.

They robbed Peter (Peters) to pay Paul (Ramsey). They should have kept both, then it would have made some sense.

2020 Rams Salary Cap: $24.1M in cap (with rollover factored in, but only 38 players on the roster.)

The Ramsey contract hasn't come in yet on OTC, but he is under contract in 2020 for $13.7M APY. He of course is going to want a lot more.

They have nowhere near $40M in cap space next year.

------------

Needing to extend Cooper Kupp & John Johnson, pay Jaylen Ramsey, pay Michael Brockers, pay Donte Fowler, and pay Corey Littleton. Also needing at least 3 massive upgrades on the O-Line.

Can't cut Goff or Gurley, or they lose even more cap space. No 1st round picks in 2020 or 2021.

With upcoming games against the Steelers, Bears, Ravens, Seahawks, Cowboys, & 49ers. Atlanta who they play this week is very good at pressuring the QB, and Matt Ryan can score points. So it is no give me. +2 divisional games against AZ which is appearing to no longer be the easy pushover anymore.

iu

Playoffs here we come, and the future is looking bright. :D

Fade

Reaction score
Gusbusser":1zhj1vio said:
As a Jags fan I am smiling ear to ear. 2 firsts and a 4th?! Ramsey is simply a quitter. It's the worst thing in professional sports to not handle adversity. Success has been his life and not having it makes him feel like nothing. He wasn't even with a bad franchise or a bad team. He's less than 2 years removed from the AFC championship game. Unless he is with the Patriots he will be a meltdown and never truly be happy. Winning every game is validation for him, more than being a great corner or teammate. It's kinda sad.

It's all in the rear-view mirror now. You got Minshew! That is all you need to put a smile on one's face. :D

The Jags have the opportunity with these picks to really build something around him and get a leg up on the rest of the AFC South.

knownone

Reaction score
Fade":qftk7b3z said:
knownone":qftk7b3z said:

They robbed Peter (Peters) to pay Paul (Ramsey). They should have kept both, then it would have made some sense.

2020 Rams Salary Cap: $24.1M in cap (with rollover factored in, but only 38 players on the roster.)

The Ramsey contract hasn't come in yet on OTC, but he is under contract in 2020 for $13.7M APY. He of course is going to want a lot more.

They have nowhere near $40M in cap space next year.
I think you are looking at their cap space post Ramsey trade. They have roughly 37.8 million next season, subtract Ramsey's 13.7M and you arrive near your number of 24.1. They have the flexibility to cut both Matthews and Weddle in the off-season to free up another 8M if they need it.

On top of that, the highest paid corner in the league is earning on average 15M/year. Let's assume the Rams pay Ramsey 17M/year, that would put their cap space at just under 20M next season without making moves.

The only legitimate concern for the Rams is whether or not they can salvage Goff and Gurley behind a crumbling offensive line. If they can, cap space and draft picks won't be an issue.

Gusbusser

Reaction score
Fade":qd57s7pj said:
Gusbusser":qd57s7pj said:

It's all in the rear-view mirror now. You got Minshew! That is all you need to put a smile on one's face. :D

The Jags have the opportunity with these picks to really build something around him and get a leg up on the rest of the AFC South.

You have no idea. Let me say Ramsey is a good corner but he is super overrated. The trash talk and persona only go so far. Dude got burned by Marcus Mariota multiple times and he was just benched for Tannehill. He's going to a team that runs even more zone coverage than we do. He's not Deion Sanders by any means. If Mariota makes him look stupid then Wilson is gonna make a whole 10 hour highlight reel outta him.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
knownone":2vuqy2l9 said:
This trade actually makes sense for the Rams.
Disagree. If they were going to blow two first-round picks, it should have been to get a new QB. That's the biggest hole their team has. Peters is a good corner. Trading that kind of draft capital to replace a good (not great) corner with an elite one is stupidity, for the Rams and the scenario they are in as a team, talent-wise...

getnasty

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3tawxl62 said:
knownone":3tawxl62 said:
This trade actually makes sense for the Rams.
Disagree. If they were going to blow two first-round picks, it should have been to get a new QB. That's the biggest hole their team has. Peters is a good corner. Trading that kind of draft capital to replace a good (not great) corner with an elite one is stupidity, for the Rams and the scenario they are in as a team, talent-wise...

Peters makes be plays and is a ball hawk but he gives up way more then he gets. I love watching him tackle too, one of the worst I've ever seen. He's trash

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's WAY too much to give up, especially with him wanting a massive contract. They just gave huge money to Mr. Glass Gurley and fold like a tent Goff. Hell of a player, but not worth the risk of giving up two 1st rd picks and a 4th.
I can't imagine Hawks fans being happy about giving up that much for a guy like that. He's a ticking time bomb, basically quit on the Jags, oh but look his back is magically healed now :roll:

xray

Reaction score
A desperation move to save the season ; which seldom works .

justafan

Reaction score
1st round picks are over valued especially later in the round when often times there isnt 1st round grades for the players left. 2 1st round picks will probaby be JAGs who will eat up 6 or 7 mil of cap space, so if Ramsey gets 17?, its a 10 or 11 mil difference. Not that big of a deal for one of the top defensive players in the league.

I would have done it.It made more sense for us than it does for the Rams. But I think both teams are in a window where 1 or 2 players can make a huge difference. I still expect them to make a run but i hope they get buried and out of the playoff picture soon.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
justafan":21n01u1d said:
1st round picks are over valued especially later in the round when often times there isnt 1st round grades for the players left. 2 1st round picks will probaby be JAGs who will eat up 6 or 7 mil of cap space, so if Ramsey gets 17?, its a 10 or 11 mil difference. Not that big of a deal for one of the top defensive players in the league.

I would have done it.It made more sense for us than it does for the Rams. But I think both teams are in a window where 1 or 2 players can make a huge difference. I still expect them to make a run but i hope they get buried and out of the playoff picture soon.

It's also what you can get from first rounders. An NFL team is typically made of a few stars and a bunch of JAGs drafted from mid rounds. If you have first rounders you can leverage that to more mid round picks and you can take those increased mid round picks to move around and get guys in the second round you really like and will have on cheap contracts for a number of years. Think Lockett and DK Metcalf.

So maybe a late first rounder won't be "all that" but the pick may be valuable if you use it to leverage more mid round picks and move on guys you like in the second and third rounds. Schneider has been masterful in that respect.

You build through the draft and the Rams need serious influx of talent at OL, LB and DE. They will likely need to replace Cupp and Cooks soon for cap reasons. And you need backups and special teamers. It's tough to build a roster of 53 players with 5 mid-late picks a year. Especially when you can't go big into FA because your cap is chewed up by 4 players.

This move works for this year. Maybe into next year. But by 2021 they are going to be in serious decline.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
justafan":tm21e4gm said:

Basically agreed with this.

Per usual, I think Belichick was out ahead of everybody and figured out that draft picks are now overvalued.

If you're picking 16-32 what are the chances you've drafted a player who will end up being Top 5 at their position? 2 or 3 percent maybe?

Top 5 guys practically never hit free agency, so the only way to get them is to win the lottery in the draft, or give up a bunch of draft capital in trade to teams that aren't going to keep them before they hit FA (see: Khalil Mack).

At the end of the day the question is if you would you rather give 15 million to Marcus Peters or 20 million to Jalen Ramsey? That's really easy for me.

justafan

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1on4r9to said:
justafan":1on4r9to said:

It's also what you can get from first rounders. An NFL team is typically made of a few stars and a bunch of JAGs drafted from mid rounds. If you have first rounders you can leverage that to more mid round picks and you can take those increased mid round picks to move around and get guys in the second round you really like and will have on cheap contracts for a number of years. Think Lockett and DK Metcalf.

So maybe a late first rounder won't be "all that" but the pick may be valuable if you use it to leverage more mid round picks and move on guys you like in the second and third rounds. Schneider has been masterful in that respect.

You build through the draft and the Rams need serious influx of talent at OL, LB and DE. They will likely need to replace Cupp and Cooks soon for cap reasons. And you need backups and special teamers. It's tough to build a roster of 53 players with 5 mid-late picks a year. Especially when you can't go big into FA because your cap is chewed up by 4 players.

This move works for this year. Maybe into next year. But by 2021 they are going to be in serious decline.

I agree with every one of your points. I agree with us trading down even though every year there is a pick I love, and often wrong about that we miss out on. I like the more lottery tickets strategy but this is a sure thing.All Pro at a position we need. It would make the whole D better especially the pass rush.

This is a win now move. I think he would have beeen huge for us as we can afford it, we need someone to gives us an edge on D and it would be a huge move with the door to SB wide open this year and next.

Rams still are in it unfortunately. If Mcvay is the coach everyone says he is they will be around in the playoffs. If not he should be fired for sucking with as talented of a roster as he has.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Washington49er":2cnp61yo said:
Sports Hernia":2cnp61yo said:
Washington49er":2cnp61yo said:
Marvin49":2cnp61yo said:
Maybe its just me, but I think its a HUGE mistake for the Rams.

Jalen is really good, but TWO ones? Seriously?

This doesn't address their O-Line or the guy under center either.

Can't you feel the desperation?
Yep.

Wow.

First time I agreed with you on anything.....

I feel icky. :pukeface:

Me too :pukeface:

So something good came out of the Ramsey trade after all. :twisted:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Gusbusser":7xkdgy4e said:
Fade":7xkdgy4e said:
Gusbusser":7xkdgy4e said:

You have no idea. Let me say Ramsey is a good corner but he is super overrated. The trash talk and persona only go so far. Dude got burned by Marcus Mariota multiple times and he was just benched for Tannehill. He's going to a team that runs even more zone coverage than we do. He's not Deion Sanders by any means. If Mariota makes him look stupid then Wilson is gonna make a whole 10 hour highlight reel outta him.

Sounds like an entitled snot nosed brat. You got rid of it and now we have to use it to our advantage. I think we have the right person for the job. LOL :twisted:

Thanks for the insight. Game with you all couple years ago was fun in your stadium.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, it doesn't matter what Hawks or Niners fans think. Or anyone else in the NFC, the Rams are far from being done and/or out of it.

Latest posts