Jared Allen in town

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooshort

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1h0omtnr said:
tooshort":1h0omtnr said:
Just got a text from my Friend inside Vmac, he says that Jared Allen will be in town tonight and leaves in the afternoon tomorrow,unfortunately he knows no other details.

Holy Crap, could Terry Blount actually have broken a story??
how reliable is your friend?

He broke Reggie Williams, Mike Williams and CBJ to me about 8 hours before reporters caught up, nothing since then, but he's not in a position where this stuff is always laid out on a silver platter in front of him.

jblaze

Reaction score
My guess is it'll be around 7-8m. Allen isn't going to be disrespected. I'd assume the guarantees end after the second year on a three year deal.

Allen is one of those odd guys who will probably produce into his mid 30's. He's an effort guy, not a freak athlete type where if he gets old, he drops off quickly.

This would allow us to back off DL in the draft as well as TE now that we have Miller back. At that point we can focus on OL and WR. That seems just about right to me.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1nzokyml said:
Why would people prefer Clemons to Allen? If the money is the same? I don't have the tactical know of some of you. I'd assume Allen would be a far better option (statistically it appears that way at least)

Usually, known quantity > unknown quantity. You never know how a new player will adjust to your scheme. But the players generally have to be comparable in skill for this to even come into play. With Clem, it's difficult because he was coming off the ACL tear. Has he permanently lost a step or will he rebound? If the latter, then I'd probably keep Clem at the same money because of the known/unknown variable -- even though Allen's historically been more productive. However, we just don't know if he'll bounce back.

jblaze

Reaction score
My guess is it'll be around 7-8m. Allen isn't going to be disrespected. I'd assume the guarantees end after the second year on a three year deal.

Allen is one of those odd guys who will probably produce into his mid 30's. He's an effort guy, not a freak athlete type where if he gets old, he drops off quickly.

This would allow us to back off DL in the draft as well as TE now that we have Miller back. At that point we can focus on OL and WR. That seems just about right to me.

drdiags

Reaction score
My main concern and probably only concern is how the contract impacts extensions for the big 3. However there is potential relief in re-doing Okung to a more realistic number going forward. In dreamland I would love to see at least Earl extended with an outside chance of getting Sherman in this offseason.

Allen seems to have folks in the org that have been eyeing him for the last few seasons.

jblaze

Reaction score
drdiags":vzocdc8o said:
My main concern and probably only concern is how the contract impacts extensions for the big 3. However there is potential relief in re-doing Okung to a more realistic number going forward. In dreamland I would love to see at least Earl extended with an outside chance of getting Sherman in this offseason.

Allen seems to have folks in the org that have been eyeing him for the last few seasons.

The cap guru (Davis Hsu) was pointing on Twitter last night that the Hawks could sign Melton and Allen and still extend Thomas and Sherman if they got creative.

Now that Melton is a Cowboy, he says they have more than enough room to extend both of them if they wanted after signing Allen. The point he brought up though us that they may not want to extend them both.

He said there's been talk for a while about letting Sherman play out his contract, franchising him next year and then letting him walk after grooming some more CB's through the draft inexpensively. A franchise tag on Sherman would actually be less than he would command as a signing since he's going to want top CB money ever and franchise is an average of the top 5. This would allow them to retain some of the LB's like Wagner, Wright and Smith down the line.

There's a feeling that Pete can churn out CB's that will perform well due to the system and scheme which ultimately works because of our safeties. I think there's some truth in that. Pete is an ex-DB coach and does miracles with DB's imo.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2fmcoq73 said:
I totally don't expect this to be the case, but watch us sign him for three years at like $5m/year where it turns out he was blowing smoke like Bennett was, lol.
That was my first thought. Otherwise cutting Clemons makes no sense.

CANHawk

Reaction score
If I hear we signed him, I'll be thrilled to have him. I know JS isn't ever going to mortgage the future to compete in the present so it won't be at the expense of retaining Sherman/Thomas, and I know that Pete is creative enough to get the most out of him, so it won't be a waste. But I have to admit... I don't really see where he fits in the scheme. He's not really a Leo. Leo's about speed off the edge and that's not really Allen's game from what I've seen. He seems to be more of a strength kind of end, like a Bruce Smith, style end. I think if he signs, he's better built to play the 5T position, he's a big long body with long arms who should be able to play 2 gaps no problem, but that's Bennett's position on the passing downs and Pete seems to like to have a REAL big body in there on running downs. We just spent all that money on Bennett, seems counterproductive to bring in somebody who's going to take reps away from him.

Guess we'd see him in some kind of rotation with Bennett and Scruggs. Maybe see him rotate with Avril and Mayowa (I guess?) at Leo, but it doesn't seem as likely to me. oh well, just have to wait and see I guess. Too much talent is a good problem to have.

jblaze

Reaction score
Bennett and Avril prefer to rush off the left side, they're looking for a RE opposite the LEO so a bigger type who can stand up to the run and still rush the passer. A typical DE in a 4-3 and Allen fits that role well. Bennett will go inside on pass downs and you'll have him at DT with Mebane or Williams/Hill and Avril and Allen on the outsides. Pretty formidable defensive front there.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jblaze":2u60mmn1 said:
drdiags":2u60mmn1 said:

The cap guru (Davis Hsu) was pointing on Twitter last night that the Hawks could sign Melton and Allen and still extend Thomas and Sherman if they got creative.

Now that Melton is a Cowboy, he says they have more than enough room to extend both of them if they wanted after signing Allen. The point he brought up though us that they may not want to extend them both.

He said there's been talk for a while about letting Sherman play out his contract, franchising him next year and then letting him walk after grooming some more CB's through the draft inexpensively. A franchise tag on Sherman would actually be less than he would command as a signing since he's going to want top CB money ever and franchise is an average of the top 5. This would allow them to retain some of the LB's like Wagner, Wright and Smith down the line.

There's a feeling that Pete can churn out CB's that will perform well due to the system and scheme which ultimately works because of our safeties. I think there's some truth in that. Pete is an ex-DB coach and does miracles with DB's imo.

IMO, there's precisely zero chance that JS is going to let the #1 CB in the NFL walk so he can sign a 32-year old pass rusher. I don't care how much of a DB guru that PC is. Just doesn't make sense. That's not to say we won't sign Allen. But if we do, it will be built around a model that keeps Sherman in place. The writing has been on the wall since we let all of our other internal FAs go -- both Sherman and Earl are getting extensions.

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
710 ESPN Seattle ‏@710ESPNSeattle 37m

.@ClaytonESPN on the #Seahawks' interest in Jared Allen: "They're not going to pay him more than Michael Bennett."

Bprez3

Reaction score
hawksfansince90":opulqou5 said:

.@ClaytonESPN on the #Seahawks' interest in Jared Allen: "They're not going to pay him more than Michael Bennett."

Looks like we may soon find out how much the Hawks are going to pay him

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawksfansince90":2ywirn3o said:

Makes sense. I don't think paying Allen more would sit well with anyone in the locker room, especially since Michael offered a small discount on his overall deal.

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
The news about Allen being in Seattle hit twitter and look at this response:

DezXBryantX88 ‏@DEZ_BRYANTMVP88 3m
@5JasonT hahahaha have fun SEA when u cant afford Sherman and Ear

dbmack

Reaction score
hawksfansince90":26jrn6nv said:

that is not Dez Bryant's official twitter though

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
dbmack":2i3tlol2 said:
hawksfansince90":2i3tlol2 said:

that is not Dez Bryant's official twitter though

I know. Just some troll.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
$6-7 mil over 2 years with a low 1st year salary number and all the guaranteed $ in the 1st year is my guess. Thus he's under contract for the 2nd season but can be cut if it isn't working out w/o a lot of dead money. If not that then a contract like Melton's which is basically a 1 yr deal with an option to renew.

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
Not to change the subject but is there anything to this? What rumors?

jason vinson ‏@jayvin77 48s

Where is this DeSean Jackson trade rumors to the #Seahawks coming from? If they weren't gonna pay Tate why then give DS 10.5 mill? #stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts