Jared Allen in town

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I can buy that but is it just a negotiation tactic or is he serious? He already has money so it doesn't make sense to me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2985o8x3 said:
I can buy that but is it just a negotiation tactic or is he serious? He already has money so it doesn't make sense to me.

I think he's serious if the numbers are WAY off.

But the dude loves football, so I don't see him retiring if he can get in the 7-8M range. I think players know the "OMG YOU BETTER GIVE ME WHAT I WANT OR I'M RETIRING!" tactic doesn't work. The NFL has 1,700 players......teams don't care if you retire. Moving on to the next FA.

drdiags

Reaction score
Found this tweet from an hour ago

Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson 1h
Seahawks I'm told might just offer Jared Allen $4 million for one year.

I believe the tweeter is a Minny sports reporter. Not sure how he would know, other than being a pal of Allen.

Chris Tomasson
Covering Minnesota Vikings and NFL for St. Paul Pioneer Press. Longtime NBA writer.
Twin Cities

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
drdiags":2c25uuq0 said:

I believe the tweeter is a Minny sports reporter. Not sure how he would know, other than being a pal of Allen.

Chris Tomasson
Covering Minnesota Vikings and NFL for St. Paul Pioneer Press. Longtime NBA writer.
Twin Cities

Less than half of what he reportedly wants/was offered by the Broncos.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think he was being sarcastic given that Allen has no other real prospectives.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2r45pq1p said:
drdiags":2r45pq1p said:

Chris Tomasson
Twin Cities

Less than half of what he reportedly wants/was offered by the Broncos.

Tate thinks that offer is laughable.

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
Allen "unlikely" to sign with Dallas.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... h-cowboys/

For Cowboys fans hoping that good things happen in threes, the third good thing apparently won’t be the signing of defensive end Jared Allen.

According to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports, Allen in “unlikely” to sign with the Cowboys after Tuesday’s visit.

Allen also has visited the Seahawks, and other visits are possible.

The six-year Vikings and, before that, four-year Chief is looking for a “fair” contract and a “chance to win.” It’s possible the the range in which the Cowboys would pay didn’t sufficiently exceed Seattle’s range to justify the necessarily smaller chance of winning that exists in Dallas.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I would love for them to sign Allen to a one-year deal. When Allen is at LEO, he would give us the versatility to use Avril/Bennett together on the left side. We have the cap space available for such a one-year deal. It's not a necessary signing, since I think Mayowa/Scruggs are going to be really good, but Allen could put them over the top for a Super Bowl repeat.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think if Seattle wants him it will take a per year amount similar to Bennett, at least.

drdiags

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ciw2eau said:
I think if Seattle wants him it will take a per year amount similar to Bennett, at least.

Is Jared Allen that much better than Clemons? Would seem like a step backwards to cut him for $7.5M, with one year remaining on his contract to turn around and sign Allen for $8.5M for 1-2 yrs. I guess the team must have felt the Chris was never going to totally recover from the ACL. He seemed to be coming around in the Superbowl.

Anyway, this whole Allen thing is confusing to me and has me perked up to see how it ends.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
drdiags":3q6eh8nl said:
Scottemojo":3q6eh8nl said:

Is Jared Allen that much better than Clemons? Would seem like a step backwards to cut him for $7.5M, with one year remaining on his contract to turn around and sign Allen for $8.5M for 1-2 yrs. I guess the team must have felt the Chris was never going to totally recover from the ACL. He seemed to be coming around in the Superbowl.

Anyway, this whole Allen thing is confusing to me and has me perked up to see how it ends.
I agree. Clemons to Allen would feel a bit lateral. And if Allen got 8 plus it would feel a bit backwards.

Pat Kirwan sees Allen getting 36 mil for 4 years. Not here, he won't. But I think the report that Seattle offered him 4 mil for one year are totally bogus.

Xarbx425

Reaction score
I look at Jared Allen and what he was able to do with the skill that was on the field with him and I amazes me.

Don't you guys wonder how much better he'd do with the Legion of Boom behind him and with Bennett and Avril lining up with him? I'm curious how often he was double teamed in Minny. If Allen were to play on our team, how often could teams double Allen and ignore Bennett and Avril?

Thoughts guys?

jblaze

Reaction score
Agreed, his opportunities will be much better in Seattle. In front of the LOB, he'll get plenty of time to get to the QB. Plus he has never had a season below 11 sacks and hasn't missed a game in 6 years on a bad Minny team where he likely got double teamed at least some of the time.

He's a motor player who never gives up and we do not currently have a pass rusher for the right side. Avril, Bennett and even Irvin all perform better from the LE position. He's also a guy who can play a lot of snaps so that would allow us to rotate the other guys more.

I'm not high on Allen @ 10m, but at 6-7 I'm ok with. Right now we're at 15m of cap free. We could easily swing Allen and restructure Thomas and Sherman with those numbers and then go to the draft to fill the WR and OL holes.

Signing Allen would take the DL necessity out of the draft and PC/JS prefer to go DL in FA because players tend to peak later (27-29) and get established players. Sign Allen and that opens up your flexibility quite a bit for the draft.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2admtkur said:
drdiags":2admtkur said:
Scottemojo":2admtkur said:

I agree. Clemons to Allen would feel a bit lateral. And if Allen got 8 plus it would feel a bit backwards.

Pat Kirwan sees Allen getting 36 mil for 4 years. Not here, he won't. But I think the report that Seattle offered him 4 mil for one year are totally bogus.

I think you can stick a fork in Clemons. Power rush was all he had left last season.

Somebody tweeted out that JS wants Allen at 1 year $4 million. Not sure how credible. JS is stingy but that offer seems a bit extreme.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Blitzer88":s2ysq4tg said:
Missing_Clink":s2ysq4tg said:
Wish we had just kept Clem for 1 more year

What this guy said, cutting him now seems like it was a bad move.

Clem wasn't the same last year. I'd rather keep him on a restructured deal, but keep in mind, Jared Allen is not the only available guy on the market who can play LEO.

Both Phillips and Will Smith would be as good as Clem and we could probably sign them for under 5MM APY.

Status
Not open for further replies.