Justin Britt

kpak76

Reaction score
ErikG803":3tshia9w said:
He looks brutal... last year he might have been like a 6 or 7 out of 10, at LG he's gotta be one of the worst in the league..I know Cable has his moments but at some point we have to recognize Cable wanted Carpenter in the 1st, Britt in the 2nd, Moffit in the 3rd... NONE of them have been even average.... I like Cable but this is getting ridiculous

Sometimes it's on the players. You also have Sweezy in the 7th and he took a practice squad guy in Giacominni and turned him into a mauler. The players have to be accountable for their development too. Cable has a record of turning out good OL in Seattle also. Plus you might as well get used to Cable, he is most likely next in line as Seattle's HC once Carroll hangs it up.

ShaunPope

Reaction score
kpak76":22v9c1ut said:
ErikG803":22v9c1ut said:
He looks brutal... last year he might have been like a 6 or 7 out of 10, at LG he's gotta be one of the worst in the league..I know Cable has his moments but at some point we have to recognize Cable wanted Carpenter in the 1st, Britt in the 2nd, Moffit in the 3rd... NONE of them have been even average.... I like Cable but this is getting ridiculous

Sometimes it's on the players. You also have Sweezy in the 7th and he took a practice squad guy in Giacominni and turned him into a mauler. The players have to be accountable for their development too. Cable has a record of turning out good OL in Seattle also. Plus you might as well get used to Cable, he is most likely next in line as Seattle's HC once Carroll hangs it up.

Please Lord, do not allow that to happen. Cable would run this team into an early grave as the HC.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2m7d3aew said:
By most accounts, Britt is playing poorly at left guard. Yeah yeah yeah, it takes awhile for the line to gel, etc... The question I have does anyone besides me think that Britt actually played better at RT than LG ? Long term at guard is probably a better fit than tackle but would the line maybe be better with Britt back at RT and Bailey at LG?
If you listened to his radio interview with softy today he sounds like a clueless tool that doesn't think he's playing bad.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1afrt064 said:
By most accounts, Britt is playing poorly at left guard. Yeah yeah yeah, it takes awhile for the line to gel, etc... The question I have does anyone besides me think that Britt actually played better at RT than LG ? Long term at guard is probably a better fit than tackle but would the line maybe be better with Britt back at RT and Bailey at LG?
If you listened to his radio interview with softy today he sounds like a clueless tool that doesn't think he's playing bad.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Britt has all the tools to be successful at left guard he gains a little more experience. For having played the position for the first time a month and a half ago, he has performed admirably. There are definitely some technique issues he needs to iron out, maintaining his base, staying low, driving through the whistle and finishing plays, etc. It's a lot to ask of something to move to left guard on the fly, especially someone who is 6'6 and has played his whole career at tackle. From what I have seen from him on the positive plays, he is going to get more comfortable once he has a couple more games under his belt. It's just unfortunate for him and the team that he wasn't asked to learn the position eight months ago.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":rocb06sc said:
Britt has all the tools to be successful at left guard he gains a little more experience. For having played the position for the first time a month and a half ago, he has performed admirably. There are definitely some technique issues he needs to iron out, maintaining his base, staying low, driving through the whistle and finishing plays, etc. It's a lot to ask of something to move to left guard on the fly, especially someone who is 6'6 and has played his whole career at tackle. From what I have seen from him on the positive plays, he is going to get more comfortable once he has a couple more games under his belt. It's just unfortunate for him and the team that he wasn't asked to learn the position eight months ago.

I disagree entirely.
He had horrible balance like he was on skates at RT, and couldn't anchor. Now he still has those issues while having to deal with DT's who are even stronger than DE's. Everything happens faster inside, and he is overwhelmed by the speed. That is before you get into all his technical flaws. He is a 2 year project at LG that can be avg at best if you are the ultimate optimist.

He is playing like Kaepernick is at QB right now. Lost and Overwhelmed.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":2dwomira said:
hawknation2015":2dwomira said:

I disagree entirely.
He had horrible balance like he was on skates at RT, and couldn't anchor. Now he still has those issues while having to deal with DT's who are even stronger than DE's. Everything happens faster inside, and he is overwhelmed by the speed. That is before you get into all his technical flaws. He is a 2 year project at LG that can be avg at best if you are the ultimate optimist.

I don't think Britt has a problem anchoring. He's a very strong guy, though not as strong as he was last year before the weight loss. Carroll and Cable have mentioned anchoring as one of Britt's strengths. Playing outside, his problem was his lack of length and lateral agility. His problem at guard is lunging and not staying low and driving through blocks. It's a technique issue and subtlety to playing the guard position that he will master over time. On 70-80% of the plays, Britt has looked solid.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":28dnbaja said:
Fade":28dnbaja said:
hawknation2015":28dnbaja said:

I disagree entirely.

I don't think Britt has a problem anchoring. He's a very strong guy, though not as strong as he was last year before the weight loss. Carroll and Cable have mentioned anchoring as one of Britt's strengths. Playing outside, his problem was his lack of length and lateral agility. His problem at guard is lunging and not staying low and driving through blocks. It's a technique issue and subtlety to playing the guard position that he will master over time. On 70-80% of the plays, Britt has looked solid.
You may be right about the anchoring, but I've seen DE's repeatedly get into his chest and bull rush him into the QB's lap when he was at RT, they could also speed rush and get around him as well, the worst RT at pass pro in football. His balance is horrible, and always has been horrible.

https://vine.co/v/e22neJUAenh <--This is against a 4th round rookie Monday Night who ate him up at LG. Does this staff realize we're in the same division as Aaron Donald?

Crizilla

Reaction score
wow i honestly didn't realize how much of a disaster Britt is until seeing this thread. It's pretty bad.... you would HAVE to think Schneider is working on fixing this though....i do NOT see Cable or Caroll busting their asses off trying to fix this. I just don't. It's not in Caroll's personality and Cable reminds me of a very strict dad that likes to tell people what to do. I don't think he's a great X's and O's guy. He's intimidating but doesn't scheme very well. It's like he just chose Britt because he's a big dude and thought he was cool. Hate to say it but Bevell is probably our most experienced and best X's and O's guy. Cable's technique and teaching has yet to work. We definitely haven't been winning because of our Oline....timely offensive big plays and defense is why we win.

Okung is looking old and fatigued as well.

Rob12

Reaction score
Sad. I watched that GIF of Britt at least 25 times. Okung looks miserable as well. The entire line is in shambles and will bury the season if they don't get it fixed soon.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Rob12":1qh9f39q said:
Sad. I watched that GIF of Britt at least 25 times. Okung looks miserable as well. The entire line is in shambles and will bury the season if they don't get it fixed soon.

As bad as Britt was on that play (really really bad) both Okung and Nowak's guys met Rawls in the backfield as well. That play was just pathetic all around.

peppersjap

Reaction score
You guys need to get into coaching because obviously you are way smarter than the coaches that took us to the last 2 Super Bowls. I'm frustrated like anyone but I'm going to have faith in the people that have gotten us to the top. What blows me away is when people talk like our line was good last year and that Unger led that! He played in 6 games! We let Carpenter go this year instead of paying him 1st round money, he was one of the biggest underachievers I can ever remember here (that we would have had to pay 1st round money to) and seldom was on the field yet people are suddenly acting like we let a hall of famer go? The year before we let others overpay for Giaco and McQuistan. This is the result you get from winning. Our Defense is our backbone which is why they have to put out a patchwork offensive line.

justafan

Reaction score
peppersjap":3d6aexvt said:
You guys need to get into coaching because obviously you are way smarter than the coaches that took us to the last 2 Super Bowls. I'm frustrated like anyone but I'm going to have faith in the people that have gotten us to the top. What blows me away is when people talk like our line was good last year and that Unger led that! He played in 6 games! We let Carpenter go this year instead of paying him 1st round money, he was one of the biggest underachievers I can ever remember here (that we would have had to pay 1st round money to) and seldom was on the field yet people are suddenly acting like we let a hall of famer go? The year before we let others overpay for Giaco and McQuistan. This is the result you get from winning. Our Defense is our backbone which is why they have to put out a patchwork offensive line.

I agree with most of your post.I was one of those that complained about Breno and Carp,I was dead wrong how important Breno was to this team and with 20 20 hindsight the Jets stole him.

Those three represent what 10 or 11 Mil buys you today.Actually sounds like a bargain right now.
4 or 5 mil to retain starters.

I dont believe paying the D caused the Oline problems.I believe trying to find a game changer on offense did.
Harvin and Graham cost a lot of money and draft capitol.I understand why they did it but both players dont really fit the identity of who this team is.

As damning as that pic is on Britt we can find something like that on most Olineman.Well maybe not that bad.

Tokadub

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2r8piuee said:
Scottemojo":2r8piuee said:
Jesus Christ.

I had to re-watch that clip so many times, I laughed at first but now it's just sad...

I'm sorry to say it but Justin Britt is just not an NFL caliber player. He's very slow on his feet, has short arms, his balance and footwork is whack, and on top of all that he gets overpowered.

But what's even worst is that he just doesn't seem to have the mental characteristics or intelligence to overcome his physical limitations. I can't remember ever seeing him make a play where I thought "Oh wow! That was a really heads up play by Britt, I can't believe that he read the defense and was able to react so well!" That may sound harsh but he just isn't a "natural" with his decision making and vision on the field so there's really no way he can consistently play at a high level.

Britt is like the opposite of Zach Miller (who I really miss on our offense)... Zach Miller looked like the slowest guy out there but he seemed to always be in the right place at the right time for both his blocks and routes/catches. I just can't see Britt ever being a guy who will "get it".

At Right Tackle Britt was able to barely scrape by (still one of the worst in the league) just by hustling. There weren't many situations where he even needed to make a lot of decisions in his obvious 1v1 match ups. But now at Left Guard he looks totally lost out there, he doesn't know who to block and consistently makes the wrong decisions like double teaming a guy while missing his assignment or simply not doing anything at all but most commonly just getting straight up beat.

You could put some of this on the coaching and our zone blocking scheme, which to me appears to have a lot of issues right now. It's not uncommon to see Sweezy having similar issues where he doesn't seem to know what he should be doing on any given play.

The new center Nowak is amplifying the problems for both Britt and Sweezy, he seems to have trouble in one on one situations which is like the most basic requirement for a center. The interior of our offensive line is just a total disaster.

I have no idea why Patrick Lewis wasn't our starting center since week 1 (apparently we never lost a game with him starting)... I honestly did not notice much if any drop off from Unger to Patrick Lewis which led me to believe Unger was a bit overrated and/or Patrick Lewis was very good... so this decision to play some random defensive player who is clearly inferior to the Patrick Lewis I have seen in the past (he may have declined) is mind boggling.

I'd get Bailey in for Britt, Patrick Lewis at center and stop using Jimmy Graham for blocking. Our offensive line is so terrible we can't afford to have Jimmy Graham making it even harder on us with his missed blocks. Teams are going to start toying with us and our failed zone blocking scheme, you started to see that with the Lions they knew we didn't know how to handle those different kinds of pressures and we had multiple plays with guys whiffing blocks, hitting the wrong assignment, or Britt/Sweezy just straight up standing there not knowing what to do or waddling slowly forward into open field.

On the bright side Gerry Gilliam looks decent to me and seems to have the best technique and footwork (Okung to slow) out of any of our linemen, definitely better than Britt at Right Tackle but that's not saying much...

Ozzy

Reaction score
I haven't paid much attention to the center position once Unger went out but for those who did watch a lot of the tape was Lewis any worse than Nowak? I can't imagine he was.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Saw every snap Justin Britt ever took at Mizzou, very surprised he went as high as he did. I thought he was a 4th or 5th rounder at best. Playing in that true spread at MO, he was good but not 2nd round good. Still better than our Niners entire right side though.

justafan

Reaction score
I dont even think thats a ZB play.Looks like its just straight up man on man asking each player to handle his guy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
peppersjap":3sgpmd7p said:
Oh lovely, the old "they are in charge therefore they are ALWAYS RIGHT" mentality. :roll:
Carry on...........

Latest posts