Justin Smith out this week

HansGruber

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":2n02pj3b said:
I just watch them on TV on one of the sports channels when they are running dynasty series.

You'd probably have better luck finding a job if you weren't up at 3am watching infomercials on channel 74.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Just to give this all some perspective:

The San Francisco 49ers were last a dynasty 30 years ago, precisely.

30 years before the 49ers won their first Superbowl, the Cleveland Browns dominated the NFL. They won a total of 8 championships, and 4 NFL championships... including in 1954 when they beat the Detroit Lions. Exactly 30 years before Joe Montana and Jerry Rice defined the 49ers dynasty.

49er fans talking smack to Seahawks about history and dynasties is LITERALLY the same as Cleveland Browns fans talking smack to 49er fans about history and dynasties in the 1980's, right at their peak.

Think about that for a second, Niner fans.

How would you have reacted a few months after a young Joe Montana and Bill Walsh brought San Francisco out of eternal mediocrity, finally won a Superbowl, and some Browns fan was laughing at you and bragging about the 1950's?

That's what you sound like to us.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3gmbnmg5 said:
HansGruber":3gmbnmg5 said:
[
Hell, people didn't even have cell phones the last time yall won anything.

I was stupid enough to get one. I thought it would be cool. Magnolia Hi-Fi installed it in my car, it had a big amplifier type object in the rear and a handset up front, with a wire.

Then I got my first bill. So... that was wasted money.
You must have been the shiznit before there was shiznit back then! :p 8)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":14zhot5n said:
So for how many years as a Seahawlks fan did you have Superbowl blue balls?
Well we all got '"laid" 2/2/14 and the whiners fanbase hasn't even felt a boob in 20 years! :lol:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HansGruber":33fc5ige said:
Just to give this all some perspective:

The San Francisco 49ers were last a dynasty 30 years ago, precisely.

30 years before the 49ers won their first Superbowl, the Cleveland Browns dominated the NFL. They won a total of 8 championships, and 4 NFL championships... including in 1954 when they beat the Detroit Lions. Exactly 30 years before Joe Montana and Jerry Rice defined the 49ers dynasty.

49er fans talking smack to Seahawks about history and dynasties is LITERALLY the same as Cleveland Browns fans talking smack to 49er fans about history and dynasties in the 1980's, right at their peak.

Think about that for a second, Niner fans.

How would you have reacted a few months after a young Joe Montana and Bill Walsh brought San Francisco out of eternal mediocrity, finally won a Superbowl, and some Browns fan was laughing at you and bragging about the 1950's?

That's what you sound like to us.
Post of the year right there! ^^^ :th2thumbs:

Problem is most whiners fans don't DO perspective very well.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Russell Okung OWNS Justin Smith.
OkungPancakesSmith
834424062.gif

NINEster

Reaction score
There's very few fans of either teams objective enough in this debate.

The Seattle Seahawks are a very real rival to the 49ers right now. I don't understand why that's so hard to get (or admit). Of all the teams the 49ers could lose a game to last year, losing to the Seahawks is the worst. That's usually how it is, the team you hate losing to the most is your #1 rival.

Now, this is mostly from late 2012 on. Up until mid 2012, it was easily the Giants fresh off an NFCC loss and a surprise beating mid season. When you compound the history between those two teams, it's tough to match historically.

If for some reason the Giants became legit this season to threaten for NFC supremacy they could in theory go back to topping the Hawks. I know for a fact that I hated seeing the Giants win the Super Bowl three years ago more than the Seahawks this year.

Rivalries come and go in a weird way. I did root for the Seahawks against Pittsburgh and Giants over Patriots (first match) in those Super Bowls, because at that time those AFC teams were far more annoying. Even AZ over Pitt. Rams I couldn't do.

Now to Seahawks' fans, as a Niner fan it's very annoying seeing all the 1994 culture references with regards to the 49ers last SB victory (I see it with Giants and other fanbases as well). If the 49ers win an SB over the next few seasons, what will be the argument then?

The Steelers went ~25 years between their last '70s SB Lombardi and their mid '00s revival, losing an SB in between. Hopefully SF has a similar fate.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
NINEster":7z7urbpb said:

The Seattle Seahawks are a very real rival to the 49ers right now. I don't understand why that's so hard to get (or admit). Of all the teams the 49ers could lose a game to last year, losing to the Seahawks is the worst. That's usually how it is, the team you hate losing to the most is your #1 rival.

Now, this is mostly from late 2012 on. Up until mid 2012, it was easily the Giants fresh off an NFCC loss and a surprise beating mid season. When you compound the history between those two teams, it's tough to match historically.

If for some reason the Giants became legit this season to threaten for NFC supremacy they could in theory go back to topping the Hawks. I know for a fact that I hated seeing the Giants win the Super Bowl three years ago more than the Seahawks this year.

Rivalries come and go in a weird way. I did root for the Seahawks against Pittsburgh and Giants over Patriots (first match) in those Super Bowls, because at that time those AFC teams were far more annoying. Even AZ over Pitt. Rams I couldn't do.

Now to Seahawks' fans, as a Niner fan it's very annoying seeing all the 1994 culture references with regards to the 49ers last SB victory (I see it with Giants and other fanbases as well). If the 49ers win an SB over the next few seasons, what will be the argument then?

The Steelers went ~25 years between their last '70s SB Lombardi and their mid '00s revival, losing an SB in between. Hopefully SF has a similar fate.

"If" the Niners win a Superbowl in the next few years, as much as I would hate it, congratulations to them. "If" they win one it will be harder for me to take than any other team winning one. I grew up in Eugene, in the 80's it was impossible to find Seahawks fans. Kids I knew went from being Steeler/Cowboys "fans" to Niner fans over night, because the Niners were good, and closer to Eugene. I have always hated them because they kept getting shoved down my throat by people who only liked them because they were winning. I finally got my reward, and that my team prevented my most hated rival to achieve it makes me so happy.

Steelers, Cowboys, Patriots, Raiders, yep hate them all, but there is a special kind of hatred reseved in my heart only for the Niners. As far as the Giants go, kind of always liked them, cause I liked watching them take your souls on occasion.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":nj48gj5f said:
Sourdough #49":nj48gj5f said:
Well we all got '"laid" 2/2/14 and the whiners fanbase hasn't even felt a boob in 20 years! :lol:

If you looking at it like base running, I am pretty sure last year we got to second base, year before third base and year before second base again...

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I always considered the Cowboys as the biggest rival to the Niners. I even remember Walsh in the early days referring to them as hated. It started back then and into the 90s. Then TO with the star.

Heh. He ended up a cowboy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":y9yfne5y said:
Sports Hernia":y9yfne5y said:
Sourdough #49":y9yfne5y said:

If you looking at it like base running, I am pretty sure last year we got to second base, year before third base and year before second base again...
But......... You didn't score..... Just sayin! 8)

HansGruber

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":ljozzrzb said:
Sports Hernia":ljozzrzb said:
Sourdough #49":ljozzrzb said:

Like I said...

Cleveland Browns.

Get back to us when you've won something.

Until then, enjoy watching a dynasty built in your own division. None of those 70s Steelers fans cared how many titles the Browns won in the 40s and 50s (8 total). They were having too much fun enjoying the ride.

HansGruber

Reaction score
NINEster":2za9db4p said:

Nobody cares.

Our current rival is the 49ers, and those other teams in other eras aren't part of the discussion. We don't care about the Steel Curtain or the pre-Jerruh Cowgirls or any of those pre-salary-cap Lombardis SF won when most of us were too young to remember. We get to enjoy right now. We get to live in the moment.

Right now, the Seahawks own your asses. We humiliated the Niner fans and sent them home depressed to watch us win it all. We love watching that team self destruct, which has been an ongoing theme since we joined the NFC.

And that's all we've known you as. Big talkers, big losers.

Cleveland Browns fans.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":282t8s79 said:
rideaducati":282t8s79 said:
FriscosFinest":282t8s79 said:
RolandDeschain":282t8s79 said:
Don't worry, Sourdough & FriscosFinest. Once we have booted your asses out of another couple of NFCCGs over the next few years and gotten another couple of rings, we'll surpass all your historical rivals on the hate list. We're a division foe, it'll be way more bitter than when the Cowboys & such were doing it to you.

:) Looking forward to the games sir!

But saying it is alot different than doing it.. Hopefully our new stadium can strike fear into the 12th mans eyes! (Not that you've been winning in SF regardless..)

I wouldn't be so confident though. I honestly think your team peaked last year. I'm not a homer, I'm always honest about what I see. Your defense is going to have a huge test for them this year. You may not give up many yards passing.. however.. your rushing defense will be your achilles heal! And luckily, we're loaded with ammunition.

Better to have peaked with a Super Bowl win last season than to have peaked with a loss in the Super Bowl two years ago.

So by that logic you think our 2011 roster is better than this years? Maybe up until mid season with the loss of Bowman but even then I think this years roster is better.

Yes, I believe that the niner 2011 roster was better than what will be rolled out for the niners this season. The niners have a lot of players that will be offering diminishing returns due to age. They don't know what they're gonna get from their secondary because they have replaced 3/4 of them. They have a great LB corps that will have a player coming off knee surgery, an over 30 guy and another player pushing 30. Not only are those guys getting old but they play every defensive snap. I think that catches up to them very soon.

It just seems to me that they have very few young players in major positions. The young guys they do have are unproven and most are coming off some sort of injury or another and I don't see how the young guys prove to be better than the older players were three years ago..

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
replaced 3/4th of our secondary?

Brock and Culliver were already on the team.. Losing Tarrell Brown sucks, but Brock > Carlos Rogers. We only essentially added a potential upgrade in Bethea over wHitner. Eric Reid is also probably as good as Goldson was in his prime.

Again losing Tarrell Brown is the only piece that really hurts us. But Reid and Brock are looking very promising in our secondary.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":33lmu4m2 said:
rideaducati":33lmu4m2 said:
FriscosFinest":33lmu4m2 said:
RolandDeschain":33lmu4m2 said:
Don't worry, Sourdough & FriscosFinest. Once we have booted your asses out of another couple of NFCCGs over the next few years and gotten another couple of rings, we'll surpass all your historical rivals on the hate list. We're a division foe, it'll be way more bitter than when the Cowboys & such were doing it to you.

:) Looking forward to the games sir!

But saying it is alot different than doing it.. Hopefully our new stadium can strike fear into the 12th mans eyes! (Not that you've been winning in SF regardless..)

I wouldn't be so confident though. I honestly think your team peaked last year. I'm not a homer, I'm always honest about what I see. Your defense is going to have a huge test for them this year. You may not give up many yards passing.. however.. your rushing defense will be your achilles heal! And luckily, we're loaded with ammunition.

Better to have peaked with a Super Bowl win last season than to have peaked with a loss in the Super Bowl two years ago.

So by that logic you think our 2011 roster is better than this years? Maybe up until mid season with the loss of Bowman but even then I think this years roster is better.

I'm curious why you think this years roster is better?

Your WR corp is better and that is about it but it is a leap of faith to assume that Kaepernick will benefit from it. Your running game is also in question unless again you are willing to take a leap of faith that Gore will be younger/better than he was last year or your new guys will be able to step up and replace him.

The strength of your team was your defense and your ability to stop the run. You didn't have over the hill players or key guys trying to come off injury or even guys looking at missing potentially significant time. You had guys like Willis and Cowboy playing in their prime. Bowman has improved but he won't be improved this year and Aldon played all 16 games and you know that won't happen. You haven't replaced a single player on your D-line or LB corp so how have you improved?

I think your wildly under selling how much talent you had in 2011 but right now I don't see a proven improvement throughout your team anywhere other than the talent at WR.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
It is just talk. Making changes to the seconday does not necessarily make it better.

at least 2 of the guys starting will not likely be the same guys that started in 2013.

The 2011 Niner defense was the best out of the 12-13 teams, but I am positive that it was because the teams did not respect the way Aldumb would play with Cowboy. The Niners front feasted on teams that year. The secondary has appeared to slightly fall every year since. It isn't likely to get any easier without Bowman and likely Smith for a few games, but they could be better, especially after they play together for half the season.

Maybe they put it together as the season closes.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3no6ccoo said:

Your WR corp is better and that is about it but it is a leap of faith to assume that Kaepernick will benefit from it. Your running game is also in question unless again you are willing to take a leap of faith that Gore will be younger/better than he was last year or your new guys will be able to step up and replace him.

The strength of your team was your defense and your ability to stop the run. You didn't have over the hill players or key guys trying to come off injury or even guys looking at missing potentially significant time. You had guys like Willis and Cowboy playing in their prime. Bowman has improved but he won't be improved this year and Aldon played all 16 games and you know that won't happen. You haven't replaced a single player on your D-line or LB corp so how have you improved?

I think your wildly under selling how much talent you had in 2011 but right now I don't see a proven improvement throughout your team anywhere other than the talent at WR.

Well we replaced Snyder with Boone at the guard position, if he holds out we have Martin to fill in, that is a huge upgrade for a starter and with depth. We have Kilgore and just drafted Marcus Martin to replace the aging Jonathan Goodwin at Center. We now have Lattimore and Hyde added to the mix at RB to compete with healthy Hunter and Gore. You admit we upgraded at WR but do you really understand by how much? Edwards, Williams, Swain and Ginn were replaced by Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Lloyd and Ellington. Phil Dawson is an upgrade over Akers at the kicker position. Tank Carradine helps with D line depth and is an upgrade over Ricky Jean-Francois. Eric Reid is better than Goldson in coverage. Jimmie Ward replacing Carlos Rodgers is a wash at worst. I feel good going into this season as long as Bowman can come back by the second half and Culliver serves no time or suspention till after the season. We shall see what happens with Aldon Smith, he missed 5 games last season and we still made it to the playoffs.
:snack:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":u6oxr3bk said:
RichNhansom":u6oxr3bk said:

Well we replaced Snyder with Boone at the guard position, if he holds out we have Martin to fill in, that is a huge upgrade for a starter and with depth. We have Kilgore and just drafted Marcus Martin to replace the aging Jonathan Goodwin at Center. We now have Lattimore and Hyde added to the mix at RB to compete with healthy Hunter and Gore. You admit we upgraded at WR but do you really understand by how much? Edwards, Williams, Swain and Ginn were replaced by Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Lloyd and Ellington. Phil Dawson is an upgrade over Akers at the kicker position. Tank Carradine helps with D line depth and is an upgrade over Ricky Jean-Francois. Eric Reid is better than Goldson in coverage. Jimmie Ward replacing Carlos Rodgers is a wash at worst. I feel good going into this season as long as Bowman can come back by the second half and Culliver serves no time or suspention till after the season. We shall see what happens with Aldon Smith, he missed 5 games last season and we still made it to the playoffs.
:snack:

OK I don't have much time but your logic is extremely flawed.

I'll give you your O-line has improved but that really is it besides your receiving corp like I said.

All your other logic is wishful thinking. Your O-line could very easily take a step backwards this year with the loss of Goodwin. I know he was getting old but Kilgore hasn't been able to replace him up to this point and the center is the glue that makes your O-line work. A good one makes all the difference in the world and just getting younger doesn't necessarily make you better and at that position often makes you worse. And get out of here with Martin. He's a tackle to begin with and washed out once already because he wasn't mentally tough enough not to mention he was struggling heavily to begin with.

Latimore and Hyde. Well guess what, they are complete garbage and won't even ever see the field. See what I did there? And I'm no more wrong than you. These guys are unproven and just because they are on your roster doesn't mean they are an upgrade. They could wash out just as easily as succeed. You know how many times we were told about LMJ and Hunter? Yeah now your looking to replace them. How'd that work out?

Again your QB does not spread the ball around. I'm not making this up, look at his stats. He does his best utilizing one receiver at a time. Having multiple weapons doesn't guarantee Kaep will use them. You know who did? Alex Smith. He at least would spread the ball around.

In what world does Tank prove to be an upgrade over RJF? You do realize he hasn't taken an NFL snap right? RIGHT?
Reid is not better than Goldson. He may become better in coverage but he will never be the enforcer Goldson was with his concussions. Did he even make a single good hit last year? Remember Goldson was a problower and allpro. I don't think he deserved to be but that applies to Reid as well.

Ward is a wash at worse? Ward? You mean Ward the rookie who hasn't even been to a training camp yet? Wow, you really are losing credibility.

What would you say if I tried to use all our rookies and guys that haven't played an NFL snap as proof we are better than last year? Wouldn't you laugh at me and think I must be new to this stuff? I know most would.

You also haven't addressed any of your aging players like Cowboy and Gore. The two most critical players on your roster.

I'm sorry but you really shouldn't have answered my question. Sometimes it is better to be silent and thought of as a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":paalzgxb said:
Man I hate to do this.....

...but come on Niner fans. They got it this year. They've been waiting a long time to hold this one over us. Give it up.

As for Rivals....Seattle is the Niners biggest rival RIGHT NOW, but historically, its not even close. Cowboys. Giants. Packers. Those are the big ones.

That can change if this rivalry continues, but it's not there yet.

Totally agreed.

I love what we have starting right now. And if you asked Packers/Giants/Cowboys fans -- they'd assuredly cite guys in their own division as their biggest rivals.

Nothing is a substitute for a bitter division rival. Seattle really has never had that. And our transient history between the NFCW/AFCW/NFCW thing didn't help. Neither has the general suckitude. Breaking the Lombardi barrier was necessary to even get invited to the big boy table.

For this rivalry to ascend to that kind of importance, it's going to require bitter heartbreaking losses suffered on both sides. The kinds where championships are won and lost. Get a couple more NFCCGs like last year and we'll have ourselves really something.

While neither of our fanbases would care to admit it -- having significant give and take is necessary for this rivalry to blossom to it's potential. This rivalry has the potential to supplant any historical rivalries due to the bitter intra divisional nature. Early on, that was potentially the Hawks/Rams. But neither team was both good enough to really have any give and take. They beat us repeatedly -- but when we broke the barrier, it was years before we lost to them again. We just need these teams to both feel like the rival is stealing their Super Bowl title. I have to think Niner fans watched SB48 bitterly -- thinking they'd have laid the same whipping for a trophy that we did.

Latest posts