Justin Smith out this week

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Atayla pretty much nails it. The question is now that we have surpassed the Niners will they be able to put up a good fight or will they follow suit like the Rams and Cards did and fall back to mediocrity?

So far we have been the team to consistantly battle back to the top. We have list the division for a couple years to each team in the division but we are always the ones to put them back in thier place for the next decade. Wil the Niners do the same?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't think the Niners are going to fall off. I think that as long as their LBing group and Oline are intact that they are going to be productive on both sides of the ball.

They won't go the way of the Rams or Cards. The Niners and Hawks both have established nasty teams with youth. They can both absorb injuries and still win.

The rivalry? I think that the Niner fans have hated the Hawks since 2003, but that the rivalry didn't get hot until the Niners started winning in 2011 and had their party ruined by the Hawks. Once the Hawks were a game back in 2012 the rivalry became very real, but nothing like the old school years of Giants, Cowboys and the Rams. If both teams stay within a game or two of each other for a few more years the SEA/SF rivalry will get huge.

I think the Giants probably sting the hardest. They have outright blistered the Niners in the playoffs and on multiple occasions have ripped their guts out.

The Cowboys... heh, in those days I used to WANT the Niners to win.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I do think that there is a slight possibility of regression in regard to the Niners. They need a great start to 2014 for sure. They are undergoing a lot of change in the secondary and missing Bowman/Smith for a chunk of season.

A lot of kids that are inexperienced. This is where Carroll has an advantage because he starts rookies every year at some point and gives them a lot of playing time.

If CK doesn't change, I could see "some" team regression, but he is dangerous as-is. It wouldn't be much.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3smed900 said:
Nothing is a substitute for a bitter division rival. Seattle really has never had that.

What? Total nonsense. I clipped out the part where you go on to say the Niners rivalry is our only bitter rivalry because championships are involved. Guess you haven't been a Seahawks fan for long.

Back in 1983, we got into the playoffs and stomped the Broncos at home and the Marino Dolphins in Miami, riding on the backs of a secondary that rates right up there with the Legion of Boom historically. Steve Largent and Curt Warner were in their prime and tearing up the NFL. That Seahawk team was great, and after beating the heavily-favored Dolphins, we had a real shot at going all the way. We got to the AFC Championship Game and lost to the Raiders, who went on to win the Superbowl. In 1984, we beat them in the playoffs at home, and oh god was that sweet.

Will never forget that game. The environment was unreal. Energy level was higher than the NFCCG against the Whiners. People were burning Raiders jerseys outside the Kingdome, fights in the stands, people were chanting "bulls**t!!" at the refs, it was a madhouse. It was incredible. I've never seen any rivalry before or since that matches the intensity of that one.

Then, let's not forget the 2004 Rams and how they beat us in the playoffs at home. FIrst playoff game we'd had in over a decade, and they beat us. I'll never forget Isaac Bruce putting his helmet on the field and pointing at the fans, taunting us. What a @#$(#%. You may be too young to remember, but that Rams team was actually in a few Superbowls and won one as well. The Greatest Show on Turf was on a different level than the current Whiners. They'd destroy that team, with ease.

As to the current Niners, like their coach, they've never won anything at any level of the game. They're all talk. They don't scare me and I don't hate them anywhere near how I hated the Raiders. In fact, I've come to enjoy our annual tradition of beating the living hell out of Kaepernick and watching him run off the field like a beyotch. It's a laugh-fest. It was hilarious watching Kaepernick laugh at the fans in the NFCCG, when he thought his team might win, then to see that stupid corny punk quitter look on his face when we took the lead. That guy has the character of a jelly fish. That whole team does.

I don't hate the Whiners. I think it's fun to laugh at them and their corny references to the 1980's. As I said previously, they remind me of Cleveland Browns fans. They haven't done anything in so long that it's actually funny to listen to them brag.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":13jxnb18 said:
I don't think the Niners are going to fall off. I think that as long as their LBing group and Oline are intact that they are going to be productive on both sides of the ball.

They won't go the way of the Rams or Cards. The Niners and Hawks both have established nasty teams with youth. They can both absorb injuries and still win.

The rivalry? I think that the Niner fans have hated the Hawks since 2003, but that the rivalry didn't get hot until the Niners started winning in 2011 and had their party ruined by the Hawks. Once the Hawks were a game back in 2012 the rivalry became very real, but nothing like the old school years of Giants, Cowboys and the Rams. If both teams stay within a game or two of each other for a few more years the SEA/SF rivalry will get huge.

I think the Giants probably sting the hardest. They have outright blistered the Niners in the playoffs and on multiple occasions have ripped their guts out.

The Cowboys... heh, in those days I used to WANT the Niners to win.

Nah.

To be honest, I never really looked at the Hawks as a rivalry until very recently. It's not because the 'hawks weren't any good when they were winning the NFC West crown, its just that the 49ers were so bad that there really wasn't anything to get upset about on another roster. LOL. Hell, I rooted for the 'hawks and Cards in their SB appearances.

For a rivalry to really flourish both teams need to be good...and that hasn't been the case until just recently. If there was any team that I felt a rivalry toward in the division its was the Cardinals. Those games were nasty. The Niners were just starting to get some of the talent they have now and the Cards were pretty good.

That was nothing like now though. This is a whole different level. To me, Niner fans who don't acknowledge the rivalry are fooling themselves.

Giedi

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1cf0v66u said:
Sourdough #49":1cf0v66u said:
Peacocking? Is that what Pete does on the sidelines of games? I was always curious what Hawk fans called it. As far as the scores yes those were two great home regular season games for your fan base. As far as the NFCCG game great win. Sherman made a hell of a play at the end. Anything else you need to beat your chest over?

Heh... The Niners last 3 visits to the Clink have essentially been national embarrassments or chokes. Whether it was 42-13, Kamtrack laying out Davis for the second time or CK running off the field pouting because he choked. It wasn't just one play. It was a 4th and 7 hard count that the Niners KNEW was coming when Smith's stupidity took over. The inability of the Uber-Talented Niner LBers to tackle Beast Mode on a long TD run. It was yet another strip sack of KaeperSpaz, followed by a his 5th pick to the Seahawks in 2013 alone. It was the icing on the cake.

I wonder if Niner Nation would be beating their chests if they did what the Hawks did? Nah....... :sarcasm_off:
I have to agree with Marvin - the 49er fans have to take this. Nothing can be really done until the 49ers have more success at C - link field. What i will say is that the loss to the Giants in the NFC Championship game still hurts more than the loss to the 'Hawks last year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":pe4sbs8a said:
Attyla the Hawk":pe4sbs8a said:
Nothing is a substitute for a bitter division rival. Seattle really has never had that.

What? Total nonsense. I clipped out the part where you go on to say the Niners rivalry is our only bitter rivalry because championships are involved. Guess you haven't been a Seahawks fan for long.

Back in 1983, we got into the playoffs and stomped the Broncos at home and the Marino Dolphins in Miami,

I was at that game. Great game.

But I'll stand by my opinion. While *we* may have considered this a big rivalry -- the fact is Denver/LA/KC was always considered the rivalry between those fan bases. Seattle just didn't factor into the rivalry equation. From their perspectives.

A one sided rivalry really doesn't matter. Or more precisely -- it really can't be considered a rivalry. There has to be a corresponding hatred on both sides. Seattle was always a team looking for a rivalry and basically had to contrive a rivalry out of virtually nothing. Was it intense? Sure it was. But only on one side of the affair.

We had great moments. And the fact that those moments were really only appreciated on our side doesn't diminish them as we regard it. But really our competitive history was really too brief and limited. The Raiders, Broncos and Chiefs had over a decade long head start on their rivalries. We simply didn't factor into the equation with enough frequency to elicit the same kind of intensity from their fan bases that we were able to conjure up on the handful of times where we were competitive. That great intensity you remember wasn't shared on the other side. We were rivals only in our own minds' eye.

Quite honestly, I think we had that kind of potential in the late 80s if only Bosworth could have had some longevity in the league. Having a 3 headed monster headlined by Mr. Ed, Bo knows and the Boz could have played out something great. But we fell apart quickly and didn't factor into the division race for a decade.

San Fransisco has the same story. How much of a rivalry could they sustain against the 80s/90s Rams or Falcons? Well the 80s Rams were actually pretty good. But it never seemed that they were able to end Niners seasons. The results were pretty one sided. The Saints had a couple years but like Seattle -- they flashed far too briefly to mold that. Since the Niners became a contender in 1980, they've not been able to form a rival worth really hating. The fact that Marvin49 considers the out of division contenders as their main rivals from the niner perspective is a strong indicator that the intra divisional rivalry wasn't really there.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":eqrzext2 said:
Nah.

To be honest, I never really looked at the Hawks as a rivalry until very recently. It's not because the 'hawks weren't any good when they were winning the NFC West crown, its just that the 49ers were so bad that there really wasn't anything to get upset about on another roster. LOL. Hell, I rooted for the 'hawks and Cards in their SB appearances.

For a rivalry to really flourish both teams need to be good...and that hasn't been the case until just recently. If there was any team that I felt a rivalry toward in the division its was the Cardinals. Those games were nasty. The Niners were just starting to get some of the talent they have now and the Cards were pretty good.

That was nothing like now though. This is a whole different level. To me, Niner fans who don't acknowledge the rivalry are fooling themselves.

Just so I understand, in 2003, the Niners get swept by the Hawks, a team with no Super Bowl appearances, in 2004 the Hawks started a habit of kicking the crap out of the Niners to finish a 6 game streak and Niner fans didn't just HATE the Hawks? I can read Marvin, the things I read in 2003 are the same things I read through 2010.

I don't need any Niner fan to tell me what I didn't see. But your right, it wasn't a rivalry then. Those 03 games were tight, but once 2004 hit the Niners became trivial. Certainly not a rival. They genuinely sucked, but that didn't stop many of them from predicting Niner beatdowns of the "Chickens". It was pretty damn funny.

I consider the Niners to be the Hawks biggest rival. They are a great team and they are in the division. At this time I consider them to be the one team that can consistently be trouble. Everyone else is just not the same.

It seems to me that for many DenialNiners that the Hawks are their rival when the Niners win. I'm not talking about you. You haven't made the full transformation yet. Or is it that you grew out of it?

my pal Giedi, I'm pretty confident that he was the DenialNiner original host.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3mt5bmy8 said:
The fact that Marvin49 considers the out of division contenders as their main rivals from the niner perspective is a strong indicator that the intra divisional rivalry wasn't really there.

I used to watch the Rams/Niners every chance I could because they appeared to have a good rivalry. I stopped thinking that after the 89 NFCC.

But the Giants seemed to play hell with the digits back then, actually a lot like the Hawks. That 90 NFCC.. brutal loss. Or the 86 massacre. Both years the Giants won the SB. I remember WANTING a Buffalo/SF SB in 90. But QBs got jacked in that NFCC.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bigtrain21":tjkffhan said:
Sourdough #49":tjkffhan said:
bigtrain21":tjkffhan said:
Sourdough #49":tjkffhan said:
You lame busters are the only ones who care about history. Cuz that's all you got.

Kiss the ring bitch

Yes, as a fan I do care about the history of my team, however I doubt I am going out on limb thinking I am a minority in this one. Ask any Bulls, Steelers, Yankees, ect. fan if they care about history. Guess what the US prides itself of, its history, you bought the DVD of you winning the Superbowl right? Well that is soon to be history. Hell its why we have holidays and photo albums...

While were on this topic, tell me about Seattle's rich sports history.

I bought mine on Blu Ray.

Did you buy a DVD back when you won your last Super Bowl? Hint, DVD's were invented after you won your last Super Bowl.

I just watch them on TV on one of the sports channels when they are running dynasty series.

Wouldn't that be more relevant on the History channel?
.....And you can see their old rings and old trophies on the "Antiques Roadshow". 8)

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3xdjasc9 said:
Marvin49":3xdjasc9 said:
Nah.

Just so I understand, in 2003, the Niners get swept by the Hawks, a team with no Super Bowl appearances, in 2004 the Hawks started a habit of kicking the crap out of the Niners to finish a 6 game streak and Niner fans didn't just HATE the Hawks? I can read Marvin, the things I read in 2003 are the same things I read through 2010.

I don't need any Niner fan to tell me what I didn't see. But your right, it wasn't a rivalry then. Those 03 games were tight, but once 2004 hit the Niners became trivial. Certainly not a rival. They genuinely sucked, but that didn't stop many of them from predicting Niner beatdowns of the "Chickens". It was pretty damn funny.

I consider the Niners to be the Hawks biggest rival. They are a great team and they are in the division. At this time I consider them to be the one team that can consistently be trouble. Everyone else is just not the same.

It seems to me that for many DenialNiners that the Hawks are their rival when the Niners win. I'm not talking about you. You haven't made the full transformation yet. Or is it that you grew out of it?

my pal Giedi, I'm pretty confident that he was the DenialNiner original host.

Saying I didn't look at the Hawks as a big rival doesn't mean I thought they sucked. I even said EXACTLY THAT in my post. Yes, the Hawks were beating the Niners...but so was freakin' everyone else. LOL.

I never hated the 'hawks. I don't need math to tell me that. I know that because I NEVER HATED THE HAWKS. LOL.

Pretty simple. For some reason, you seem to think that's an affront to your favorite team. For that I can only say sorry. Its not intended as such. My not viewing the Seahawks as a rival until recently is a bigger statement on how bad the Niners were for a stretch there, not a commentary on the Seahawks.

Now tho? HUGE rival. No Question. Maybe the biggest current rivalry in the NFL.

It just isn't (yet) on the level of the Cowboys, Packers and Giants (from a historic point of view). While many Niner fans are too young to remember, I remember losing to the Cowboys in back to back NFC Championship games. I remember Roger Craig fumbling away a game that was won in another NFCCG vs the Giants and spoiling the threepete. I remember Brett Favre kicking the Niners a$$es in the playoffs and is why I derive joy in beating them over and over in the past 2 years. Sadly, while most on here make jokes about how long it's been since the Niners won a SB, I remember them all pretty clearly....and most of all, I remember the losses.

The Seahawks-Niners can absolutely get to that level in my mind...and very possibly will. The rivalry for me is just too young to be there yet.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":qqbjqods said:
What part of "Im not talking about you" did you just not understand Marvin?

I'm just spitballin' here, but I'm guessing the "I'm not talking about you" part. :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7qdwum1f said:
loafoftatupu":7qdwum1f said:
What part of "Im not talking about you" did you just not understand Marvin?

I'm just spitballin' here, but I'm guessing the "I'm not talking about you" part. :lol:

Actually it's my bad....

....I misunderstood the "You haven't made the full transformation yet. Or is it that you grew out of it?" part.

Took it the wrong way. No worries. :D

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":kogg4mjx said:

Yeah-yeah... You know that Jay Carney resigned as official excuse liason to the press don't you?

You have had about a year of practice here, just think, you could get paid to waste days doing your favorite thing. I mean at least submit your resume.

I could just see Obama now... "It says here that this guy spent the entire 2013 NFL season shredding the context of everything that the Niners did and still has an active account on a Seahawks message board. After all those calls I made to the Bay Area magistrate these last few years to keep their players on the field, I think this is our guy."

"Oh and has that judge called back yet? With Bowman out, we can't have that Aldon Smith character missing any games, the Seahawks would kill them. We need those fans in SF watching the games and not on the streets. Let's keep that rivalry going."

Just lookin out for ya buddy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":rleoeo9o said:
Marvin49":rleoeo9o said:

Yeah-yeah... You know that Jay Carney resigned as official excuse liason to the press don't you?

You have had about a year of practice here, just think, you could get paid to waste days doing your favorite thing. I mean at least submit your resume.

I could just see Obama now... "It says here that this guy spent the entire 2013 NFL season shredding the context of everything that the Niners did and still has an active account on a Seahawks message board. After all those calls I made to the Bay Area magistrate these last few years to keep their players on the field, I think this is our guy."

"Oh and has that judge called back yet? With Bowman out, we can't have that Aldon Smith character missing any games, the Seahawks would kill them. We need those fans in SF watching the games and not on the streets. Let's keep that rivalry going."

Just lookin out for ya buddy.
I think you just found Marvin's future. Permanent Presidential spokesliar. He is great at deflection, spin, and half truths.
Hell, he can add me on his resume as reference, as long as he can get me something with the whitehouse logo on it. 8)

Sherminator

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":13t2mpwg said:
Well it makes it a little more fun when the Vice President of the Santa Clara whiner organization writes a letter to Seattle guaranteeing victory. We aren't the "same ole sorry _____ Rams". Hope they enjoyed their visit :mrgreen:

Signed,

THE 12th MAN..

Everytime I ask one of you guys on here for proof of that letter I get ignored.
Will somebody please provide a link or screenshot of said letter?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sherminator":1cledf1e said:
seahawk12thman":1cledf1e said:
Well it makes it a little more fun when the Vice President of the Santa Clara whiner organization writes a letter to Seattle guaranteeing victory. We aren't the "same ole sorry _____ Rams". Hope they enjoyed their visit :mrgreen:

Signed,

THE 12th MAN..

GTS.

Sherminator

Reaction score
Scottemojo":u05y94di said:
Sherminator":u05y94di said:
seahawk12thman":u05y94di said:

Signed,

THE 12th MAN..

GTS.

Quality post man, keep it up.
Still no proof, is this one of those "I heard about it things?"

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sherminator":mdwxf9rf said:
Scottemojo":mdwxf9rf said:
Sherminator":mdwxf9rf said:
seahawk12thman":mdwxf9rf said:

Signed,

THE 12th MAN..

GTS.

Quality post man, keep it up.
Still no proof, is this one of those "I heard about it things?"

I actually read about it before the game. It was rather amusing. Sorry you missed it.

Latest posts