Kaepernick struggling with accuracy in training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":g7d762s6 said:
Kaepernick's lucky that Earl misjudged that pass. Try that same play 10 times and Earl deflects that pass 7 times and intercepts it twice, probably. Let me guess, it's just amazing work on Kaepernick's part even though Earl was RIGHT there to prevent the pass?

I thought it was a TERRIBLE decision on his part to throw that ball....Earl was literally right there and more times than not that is either picked or knocked down

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":10aeg2bv said:
I thought it was a TERRIBLE decision on his part to throw that ball....Earl was literally right there and more times than not that is either picked or knocked down
It was a terrible decision. Yet look at how 49ers fans laud it as a great one because it worked.

Hey 49ers fans, if I jump out of an airplane without a parachute but survive with no injuries, the fact that I survived with no repercussions doesn't make it a good or skillful decision in the first place, it just means I got lucky.

SF49r

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":36guuset said:
Kaepernick's lucky that Earl misjudged that pass. Try that same play 10 times and Earl deflects that pass 7 times and intercepts it twice, probably. Let me guess, it's just amazing work on Kaepernick's part even though Earl was RIGHT there to prevent the pass?
oh come on... On Wilsons 4th down TD bomb Carlos Rogers was there to make the play but you know Carlos Rogers is crap and could not make the play, but i am going to take away the credit only because Rogers could have made the play. i will just call it luck then

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1yb9spbn said:
I have no problem admitting that Wilson is another incarnation of Hall of Famer Steve Young (mobile, deadly efficient, accurate). Why is it so hard to admit that Kap is a beastly specimen who hasn't developed the mental game of an elite QB yet?

It's not hard at all, but the fact of the matter is that there is no guarantee that he ever WILL develop the mental game of an elite QB. While you can make a defensible argument that he improved last year, the mistakes in the 4th quarter of the NFCCG and his later comments have to throw some cold water on the notion that he has made any substantial improvement on the mental side of the equation.

After Seattle lost the 2012 divisional playoff game in Atlanta, Russell Wilson started looking forward to the next season before he even reached the podium for the postgame press conference. After the Super Bowl Peyton Manning was gracious in defeat and already talking about coming back in 2014. Yet nearly two weeks after the 2013 NFC Championship Game, Colin Kaepernick was still playing the "if only" game regarding the game clinching interception and making the absurd statement that Sherman was afraid of the 49er receivers, and these were planned remarks and not off-the-cuff statements.

Colin Kaepernick still has a ways to go in order to truly get the most out of his God-given talent. It's not a given that he will ever manage to do so.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":17mno3xr said:
5_Golden_Rings":17mno3xr said:
I have no problem admitting that Wilson is another incarnation of Hall of Famer Steve Young (mobile, deadly efficient, accurate). Why is it so hard to admit that Kap is a beastly specimen who hasn't developed the mental game of an elite QB yet?

It's not hard at all, but the fact of the matter is that there is no guarantee that he ever WILL develop the mental game of an elite QB. While you can make a defensible argument that he improved last year, the mistakes in the 4th quarter of the NFCCG and his later comments have to throw some cold water on the notion that he has made any substantial improvement on the mental side of the equation.

After Seattle lost the 2012 divisional playoff game in Atlanta, Russell Wilson started looking forward to the next season before he even reached the podium for the postgame press conference. After the Super Bowl Peyton Manning was gracious in defeat and already talking about coming back in 2014. Yet nearly two weeks after the 2013 NFC Championship Game, Colin Kaepernick was still playing the "if only" game regarding the game clinching interception and making the absurd statement that Sherman was afraid of the 49er receivers, and these were planned remarks and not off-the-cuff statements.
Colin Kaepernick still has a ways to go in order to truly get the most out of his God-given talent. It's not a given that he will ever manage to do so.

That's some revisionist history there.

Right after the game he told Wilson to go win it. That's where his head was at.

The comments he made about the end of the game weren't a "we should have won" thing. They were a "I'm supporting my teammate after a completely unnecessary and pointless public attack". He was having his teammates back. If you don't believe me, watch the interview again and this time watch the question he was asked, not just his answer.

Still astounds me that peeps grill Kaep on his response but give Sherman a pass on his comments right after the game, on the podium after the game, and STILL many, many months later.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SF49r":1pcbuvi7 said:
oh come on... On Wilsons 4th down TD bomb Carlos Rogers was there to make the play but you know Carlos Rogers is crap and could not make the play, but i am going to take away the credit only because Rogers could have made the play. i will just call it luck then

That wasn't a bad decision because we couldn't turn the ball over on that play. We forced you guys to jump for the free play. That whole thing was planned on the sideline right before that play, haha.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2jvlrrir said:
SF49r":2jvlrrir said:

That wasn't a bad decision because we couldn't turn the ball over on that play. We forced you guys to jump for the free play. That whole thing was planned on the sideline right before that play, haha.

I hear what you are saying Roland...but have you ever noticed how according to this site almost every play Wilson was successful on was masterful and almost every play Kaps succeeds with was a "poor decision...he got lucky?".

Wilson very nearly threw a pick to Reid that went through his hands. Montana very nearly threw a pick in SB XXIII.

Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":30nbtie1 said:
Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Actually, when trying to evaluate a player's skills and decision-making, "almost" counts there as well, I think. We've all seen games by players on other teams where they were lucky as hell to come away with a win...Or unlucky enough to lose when it should have been a rout.

SF49r

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2iaonva4 said:
SF49r":2iaonva4 said:

Not trying to knock his decision making on that play but you are taking away credit off of Kaepernicks play only because Earl Thomas could have made the play. Sure it was a risky throw but it worked. I mean shit I can take away Wilsons credit on that 4th down bomb only because Carlos Rogers was there to make the play going by your logic.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SF49r":1452q0qp said:
Not trying to knock his decision making on that play but you are taking away credit off of Kaepernicks play only because Earl Thomas could have made the play. Sure it was a risky throw but it worked. I mean shit I can take away Wilsons credit on that 4th down bomb only because Carlos Rogers was there to make the play going by your logic.

You don't really understand what I just said, do you?

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1lwfr029 said:
Shadowhawk":1lwfr029 said:
5_Golden_Rings":1lwfr029 said:

The comments he made about the end of the game weren't a "we should have won" thing. They were a "I'm supporting my teammate after a completely unnecessary and pointless public attack". He was having his teammates back. If you don't believe me, watch the interview again and this time watch the question he was asked, not just his answer.

Still astounds me that peeps grill Kaep on his response but give Sherman a pass on his comments right after the game, on the podium after the game, and STILL many, many months later.

LOL! "Revisionist history???" Marvin, the questions asked and the answers given in that interview have been well documented. You say he was defending his teammate. He could have done that in a lot of different ways. He could have said something like, "I think Sherman's behavior was wrong, Crabtree didn't deserve that, but it's over and done and I'm looking forward to making him eat his words next year." What did he say? “If I throw that ball one foot farther, it’s a TD and now you’re the goat, Richard Sherman." That is ABSOLUTELY a "we should have won if only" thing. Elite quarterbacks don't think like that.

I'll be honest: I gained some respect for Kaepernick immediately after the game, but he pissed it away with that joke of an interview. I thought he was finally getting it, but he proved me wrong with the comments he made in a scheduled interview when he HAD to have known he'd be asked about The Tip and its aftermath. Part of the reason why people give Sherman a pass is that his most infamous remarks were made in the heat of the moment right after making the biggest play of the game in the biggest game of his life. Two weeks later, in an interview given before the Super Bowl, Sherman admitted that he was wrong to call out Crabtree that way. Yet Kaepernick, right around the same time, gives an interview where he goes off on how Sherman would have been the goat "if I throw that ball one foot farther." That is not a quarterback he gets it. That's why Kaepernick is not yet elite and may not ever be despite his undeniable physical talent.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":14eorhzn said:
Marvin49":14eorhzn said:
Shadowhawk":14eorhzn said:
5_Golden_Rings":14eorhzn said:

LOL! "Revisionist history???" Marvin, the questions asked and the answers given in that interview have been well documented. You say he was defending his teammate. He could have done that in a lot of different ways. He could have said something like, "I think Sherman's behavior was wrong, Crabtree didn't deserve that, but it's over and done and I'm looking forward to making him eat his words next year." What did he say? “If I throw that ball one foot farther, it’s a TD and now you’re the goat, Richard Sherman." That is ABSOLUTELY a "we should have won if only" thing. Elite quarterbacks don't think like that.

I'll be honest: I gained some respect for Kaepernick immediately after the game, but he pissed it away with that joke of an interview. I thought he was finally getting it, but he proved me wrong with the comments he made in a scheduled interview when he HAD to have known he'd be asked about The Tip and its aftermath. Part of the reason why people give Sherman a pass is that his most infamous remarks were made in the heat of the moment right after making the biggest play of the game in the biggest game of his life. Two weeks later, in an interview given before the Super Bowl, Sherman admitted that he was wrong to call out Crabtree that way. Yet Kaepernick, right around the same time, gives an interview where he goes off on how Sherman would have been the goat "if I throw that ball one foot farther." That is not a quarterback he gets it. That's why Kaepernick is not yet elite and may not ever be despite his undeniable physical talent.

oi.

Seriously?

That ABSOLUTELY was a jab back at Richard Sherman. Why do you think he even used Richard Shermans name? He's defending his teammate against the ridiculous comments. THAT'S WHY HE SAID SHERMAN WOULD HAVE BEEN THE GOAT....IE, has HE made a better throw CRABTREE would have been the hero.

You can debate if that's true or not forever, but the point is that he wasn't making an excuse for losing. I can show you several interviews where he says he wishes he'd thrown a better ball, etc...but you don't want to see that because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Kap seldom defends himself and usually takes all of the blame (I didn't play well. I need to play better. I wasn't good enough today). Do you really think he'd have said what he said if not for Sherman going off at the end of the game? Hell, he probably wouldn't even have been asked.

Take off the homer glasses bro.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin, do you honestly think a better throw would have resulted in a reception? No matter where he threw that ball it was getting deflected or intercepted. Sherman was in perfect position.

Note: I am not saying this makes Kaepernick a terrible qb, I am just tired of the narrative that a better throw wins the game for the 49ers. The problem with that narrative, Crabtree wasn't open on the play.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ze42t8r said:
Take off the homer glasses bro.

Oh, the irony!!!

crazy-nfl-football-fans-2-500x600.jpg

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1i9788u7 said:
Marvin, do you honestly think a better throw would have resulted in a reception? No matter where he threw that ball it was getting deflected or intercepted. Sherman was in perfect position.

Note: I am not saying this makes Kaepernick a terrible qb, I am just tired of the narrative that a better throw wins the game for the 49ers. The problem with that narrative, Crabtree wasn't open on the play.

Yeah, that was a load of manure. While Kaepernick has proven accuracy deficiencies, it was his brain deficiency that cost him on that particular play.

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":ppu13ime said:

Debatable...but that ain't the point. The point is that the statement was about defending Crabtree, not making an excuse for losing. He was taking the blame for not throwing a good enough pass. The point is that If Kap does his job and Crabtree makes the catch then Shermans "mediocre" comments seems pretty ludicrous. That is the point of the entire comment.

You gotta parse it down to make it him making an excuse for losing. Hell, he even says point blank that he wishes he'd made a better throw.

Whether he's right or wrong is irrelevant. That's not what we are talking about. We are talking about whether he's just making an excuse or if he's defending his teammate.

SF49r

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2pr18a54 said:
SF49r":2pr18a54 said:

You don't really understand what I just said, do you?
Your first post, you say Kaepernick got lucky because Earl Thomas didn't make the play. So I am saying Wilson got lucky Carlos Rogers didn't make the play.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":20uopdfm said:
bigtrain21":20uopdfm said:

Debatable...but that ain't the point. The point is that the statement was ablout defending Crabtree, not making an excuse for losing. He was taking the blame for not throwing a good enough pass. The point is that If Kap does his job and B=Crabtree makes the catch then Sherman "mediocre" comments seems pretty ludicrous.

But Crabtree's job is to get open and he wasn't open on the play at all. Sherman perfectly covered that.

I have no problem with him taking the blame and that is honorable, however, he was wrong in acting like Crabtree was open and he was wrong in stating a better throw would have made Sherman the goat. Sherman did his job on the play.

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3sxgwqgo said:
Marvin49":3sxgwqgo said:
bigtrain21":3sxgwqgo said:

Debatable...but that ain't the point. The point is that the statement was ablout defending Crabtree, not making an excuse for losing. He was taking the blame for not throwing a good enough pass. The point is that If Kap does his job and B=Crabtree makes the catch then Sherman "mediocre" comments seems pretty ludicrous.

But Crabtree's job is to get open and he wasn't open on the play at all. Sherman perfectly covered that.

I have no problem with him taking the blame and that is honorable, however, he was wrong in acting like Crabtree was open and he was wrong in stating a better throw would have made Sherman the goat. Sherman did his job on the play.

As I said....whether Kap is right or wrong is irrelevant. We are talking about his motivation for making the comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.